Shave of the Day Thread - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pre: WarmShower
Razor: WR2 1.25
Blade: Wizamet
Brush: Matilda 2-Band Silvertip Badger
Soap: Noble Otter – Two Kings

First time using noble otter soap, performance was excellent and a very nice post shave. Scent is amazing.. The WR2 is awesome with the wizamet, much more so than the feather but is it better than the Rocca? Hmmm.. I think the smoothness would be the same, if not a touch better with the Muhle, but def the Rocca is more efficient.
I find it interesting reading different reviews about Two Kings: some guys don't detect much of a scent at all, some think it smells like baby powder (!), while for me it's just a lovely, classy scent that's in my absolute top favourites. I only have the soap (2 backups arriving tomorrow I hope), but I can't get enough of the scent.

Edit: Nice mother of pearl inlay on that guitar too :cool:

lkXkiTm.jpg

Tuesday‌ ‌10.13.20 ‌SOTD‌
TOBS Herbal‌ ‌Pre-Shave‌ ‌Gel‌
Gillette‌ ‌'53‌ ‌Y3‌ ‌‌40s‌ style Super-Speed‌
Gillette‌ 7 O'clock SharpEdge Yellow
WCS Two-Tone Tall 26mm Synthetic BOSS Knot
TOBS Peppermint Shaving Cream
TOBS Aftershave Balm

fTwWge0.jpg

Date:- 13 October 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Yaqi Sagrada Familia Tuxedo Synth. 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Mike’s Natural ~ Bergamot, Orange & Ylang Ylang
Razor/Blade:- EJ 3one6 / Voskhod #6
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (20 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (15) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- Tommy Hilfiger for Men

IMG-20201012-214006.jpg

Brush: TF Customs Chameleon Malle Burl & Holographic 30mm Rhodium Silvertip
Razor: Smart Helix Apollo 0.50mm Mild plate
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridiums (14)
Soap: A&E Frozen Mojitos - thanks @Nico
Pre: Shower
WTG, XTG, ATG = DFS+

Same setup as yesterday but shaved with the milder plate and although efficient, it appears @SpeedyPC was correct with his assesment regarding the blade beginning to reach its limits as not as smooth... Wasn't a big fan of the A&E scents but this one is OK!
Good health & Happy shaves!

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Culmak shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Stirling Soap Co Sharp Dressed Man shaving soap
Razor: Vintage Gillette L1 "Slim" replated in rhodium (6)
Blade: Vintage English Wilkinson Sword (3)
Post-shave: Stirling Soap Co Sharp Dressed Man splash
Fragrance: Stirling Soap Co Sharp Dressed Man EDT

IMPORTANT PSA - do not pick up Stirling EDT bottles by the lid ...

Thankfully no damage done in this case, but a lesson learned

Brush: Forgotten Art "Tarkine" 26mm Tuxedo
Soap: Wholly Kaw Chypre Rose Concerto
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Schick Proline (4)
Post-shave: Shower

I've been grinding away at this soap for months, and I've barely made the slightest dent. I might have to leave it in my will. Not sure if this blade will make it through day 5, DFS only today.

85O8eXc.jpg

Pre-shave: Warm shower
Brush: Omega 10065 boar
Soap: Noble Otter Barrbarr
Bowl: Fine Accroutrements with added 'agitators'
Razor: Smart-Helix Apollo Light (Aggr.)
Blade: Kai(4)
Post shave: Pinaud Clubman Musk
Cologne: Jovan musk

The NO soaps are excellent, the glide is superb and the lather plentiful... I could actually detect the citrus scents in this one! The Kai not out on 4 runs was great, no blood was shed. The Apollo is nimble and precise, balanced perfectly. All good.

Pre: WarmShower
Razor: Muhle Rocca
Blade: Wizamet
Brush: Yaqi 26mm Pony
Soap: B&M Lavanille

Sensational Shave, the Rocca is a total joy to use. Next shave will be with a Nacet

50477496621_c7752f0db6_b.jpg
I see the Rocca is quickly becoming your favourite judging by the recent happy shaves! :LOL:

Sotd
Pre-shave:- Hot Shower
Brush:- DS Cosmetiics - SHD Geltip Manchuria Badger
Soap/Cream:- Goodfellas - Shibusa 2
Razor:- Muhle - Rocca R94
Blade:- Gillette - King C Gillette (1)
Post/Aftershave:- Murphy & McNeal - St James AS Splash / Murphy & McNeal - St James AS Balm

2 pass + touchups WTG = DFS+. A nice nonsense shave. Razor is very smooth. The soap looks interesting, smells like a chocolate brownie, but please don't eat it. I pick up the Vanilla, anise, and almond. Nice post shave on the soap decent slickness.

The razor blade what is ?
Its very smooth, and not super sharp. Not a Nacet or any of the sharper Gillette blades. Could be a be a Wizamet, had the same feel as the shave from the other day with a wizamet. Will try tommorrow with a wizamet in the same razor to confirm.

Update,
I am also going to try a Gillette Super thin (Chinese made blade). From memory that was a smooth blade and not super sharp as well.

Last edited:
I find it interesting reading different reviews about Two Kings: some guys don't detect much of a scent at all, some think it smells like baby powder (!), while for me it's just a lovely, classy scent that's in my absolute top favourites. I only have the soap (2 backups arriving tomorrow I hope), but I can't get enough of the scent.

Edit: Nice mother of pearl inlay on that guitar too :cool:

thanks 😎 sounds better than she looks 👍

In regards to the scent got the splash first and thought I was ok but since that it has really grown on me and when the soap was available had to get it, one of my favourite scents. I do love roses

Yes, only the Rocca v2.0. I’ve sent an email to Connaught Shaving they won’t allow me replace the whole head v2.0 to v4.0, because the 12 months warranty is out of date.

righto then, we’ll your in for a nice surprise.. I don’t have any other version but from what I read the v3 to V4 was a minor improvement but v2 to v3 was huge so to a V4.. well I look forward to your opinion on it.. which did u go for?

Yes, only the Rocca v2.0. I’ve sent an email to Connaught Shaving they won’t allow me replace the whole head v2.0 to v4.0, because the 12 months warranty is out of date.
That seems poor from them considering the well documented QC issues with many V2 heads?
Might be worth emailing actual Muhle as I believe they've replaced the older heads in the past...?

Status
Not open for further replies.