Shave of the Day Thread - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
... but do you swirl clockwise or counter clockwise?

For what it is worth I tend to hold the tub in my left hand and load with my right. If I swirl it tends to be clockwise :)

My soap pucks, however, tend to be donors to traveling boxes on arrival and when I scoop into a traveling box sample container I go down into the puck not simply across the surface. So i tend to get a section missing pretty quickly in all my pucks and that stays that way as I keep loading.

Boring you enough by now?
An answer i expected honestly.

You and me both then - I'm deep in spreadsheets and know how you like a good spreadsheet...

NOW you are talking my language !

You should host a webinar on spreadsheets for the rest of us!

But then somebody might ask about PivotTables and I'd just lose all control, go weak at the knees and it would end in disaster!

Here I was expecting a scientific account of the constituents of shaving soap, soft and hard components and how they settle during the cooling stage with a theoretical comparisons to canyons forged by rivers over millennium, and mountains of sand moved by the wind, accompanied by gravitational forces North and South hemisphere and instead we get scooped donor samples and spreadsheets without pivot tables :banghead:

Here I was expecting a scientific account of the constituents of shaving soap, soft and hard components and how they settle during the cooling stage with a theoretical comparisons to canyons forged by rivers over millennium, and mountains of sand moved by the wind, accompanied by gravitational forces North and South hemisphere and instead we get scooped donor samples and spreadsheets without pivot tables :banghead:

Yeah?

Problem?

If you want a discussion of the science around shaving and soaps you really NEED to read up about the famous Marco Method (TM). Our very own @Drubbing is a key contributor to the thread in its infancy and I understand that it may have played a role in the establishment of P&C.

22302.jpg

Thanks @Mark1966 getting goop like consistency off the puck is good but for me there is a Time Benefit Analysis, especially when rushing off to work in the morning.
Does the extra couple of minutes actually provide a better shave. Maybe there is just a lathering disorder with people whipping themselves into a frenzy.
I've enjoyed experimenting but a quick load 5 - 10 swirls with a boar and face lather using moisture from the shower is still my preferred method.

1KduEfh.jpg

Pre-shave: Shower
Brush: Simpson - The Duke
Soap: P.160 - Tippo Morbido
Razor: Blackland - Dart
Blade: Astra SP (2)
Post-shave: AP Reserve Escentials 'Restoration'
The Dart is a tad on the aggressive side, gave a nice smooth BBS but I was waiting for a weeper to open up.
Would like to tame it with the right blade.

Thanks @Mark1966 getting goop like consistency off the puck is good but for me there is a Time Benefit Analysis, especially when rushing off to work in the morning.
Does the extra couple of minutes actually provide a better shave. Maybe there is just a lathering disorder with people whipping themselves into a frenzy.
I've enjoyed experimenting but a quick load 5 - 10 swirls with a boar and face lather using moisture from the shower is still my preferred method.

Where is @Drubbing when you need him to defend the Marco Method!

Date:- 19 February 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- WCS Two-Tone Tall (Blue & White) Extra Dense Synth. 26/56mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Noble Otter ~ Bare
Razor/Blade:- Rockwell 6C-R3 / Gillette Stainless (red & white) #2
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20 drops) & Tea Tree Antiseptic (10)
Fragrance:- Davidoff Cool Water Wave

Pre: Hot shower.
Razor: Charcoal Goods Level-2 base plate, limited edition Victorian.
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum Double Edge
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk3
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Stirling Executive Man
WTG, ATG, touch ups with adjusted angles for my beard.
If you like medium aggressive razors you can't go wrong C.G L2.The Gillette Rubie blade loaded in the C.G provided the best shave so far.

I must read the whole thread. It starts off as if @Drubbing is disagreeing with Marco's Method. Too much water on the brush.

Well defend *might* not be the word he would use ...

IMG-20200219-202026.jpg

Brush: RR Chrome 400 Plisoft
Head: RR Game Changer .84P // Merkur 34C
Blade: Feather (5 // 6)
Pre: Shower
Bowl: Pereira Shavery Lathering Bowl
Soap: APR Lightning Ridge
Post: APR Restoration Peptide Concentrate Serum 15ml Tester A

The last 2 SOTD were very nice with the .84P such a delight to use when paired with a Feather. Struggling to decide on which APR soap to use during my Serum trials so grabbed a trusted summer scent in Lightning Ridge. Finished off with the Serum for another few enjoyable shaves... Happy shaves!

1KduEfh.jpg

Pre-shave: Shower
Brush: Simpson - The Duke
Soap: P.160 - Tippo Morbido
Razor: Blackland - Dart
Blade: Astra SP (2)
Post-shave: AP Reserve Escentials 'Restoration'
The Dart is a tad on the aggressive side, gave a nice smooth BBS but I was waiting for a weeper to open up.
Would like to tame it with the right blade.
Try a Gillette Rubie Platinum as I found it smooth and for whatever reason not as harsh. :unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.