Shave of the Day Thread - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pre: Shower
Razor: Rocca R95
Blade: German Wilkie
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Tuxedo
Soap: A&E Turkish Cafe

3 x ATG passes plus touch ups resulted in a lovely irritation free BBS.. still feelin it!!

51132461048_df8f6b847f_b.jpg

LugF1sjl.jpg

Soap: C&B Black Rose
Brush: Platypus
Razor: Lambda Ares
Blade: Polsilver (1)
Very comparable to the performance of the Lupo but I'm really wondering if it will benefit from a different blade so don't want to comment too much about the Ares performance after one shave but so far.....(y)

14.png

Pre-shave: Hot water, Pears soap
Brush: Yaqi Rainbow Pony
Soap/Cream: Mystic Water Jeff's Lavender
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Schick Proline
Post-shave: Homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+

Still one of my favourite lavenders, nice and peppery. Seems to last forever, too. I have two tubs packed with three refills, so they are very full.

IMG-20210422-205651.jpg

Brush: Graydog Arizona Mesquite 28mm Maggard SHD
Razor: Smart Helix Apollo H
Blade: Astra Blue (5)
Pre: Shower
Soap: Declaration Grooming Trismegistus
Post: Blue Stratos Eau De Mo A/S Cologne // Byron Bay Medicinal Herbs Dragons Blood Beauty Serum + TSW After Balm
WTG, ATG, Touchups = DFS+

A great shave to finish to the working week. Have a fabulous (Long) Weekend... Lest We Forget! 🌺

Stay Safe & Happy Shaves!

RAZOR: Comoy's of London 6/8"
CREAM: A&E, Asian Plum
BRUSH: FS Best Badger
STROP: Dovo hanging leather
AFTERSHAVE: Proraso Red

6AX88Te.jpg

After all the hype about A&E I was dissapointed. The soap was watery & weak on the face. It smelt great but the performance was abysmal. I have a bit more of a sample & will try again. I want to like it, but this was not a great experience.

I haven't tried A&E yet but I have tried samples from a couple of artisans (most recently WK) and have never had a particularly great experience . I tried both loading directly from the small tub that the samples came in and also scooping out soap and lathering in the bowl. Neither worked very well. I wonder if loading directly from the full sized tub would make a difference.

I haven't tried A&E yet but I have tried samples from a couple of artisans (most recently WK) and have never had a particularly great experience . I tried both loading directly from the small tub that the samples came in and also scooping out soap and lathering in the bowl. Neither worked very well. I wonder if loading directly from the full sized tub would make a difference.
I lathered in a stainless steel bowl (as usual) and it just didn't happen. I'll jump back on the horse tomorrow morning to see if I have better luck, I have other A&E samples to try so it will be interesting to see if they perform the same.

I wonder if loading directly from the full sized tub would make a difference.
It usually does. Problems with lathering any of these soaps can usually be put down to:
- Insufficient soap loaded on to brush
- Excessive water added too soon to lather.
Imagine you're making a mayonnaise, where adding too much oil to your egg yolks curdles the emulsion, so your ingredients separate out. The same thing happens if you add too much water to your lather early in the process. Give your soap plenty of work with your brush (it doesn't make any difference whether you do this on your face or in a bowl. You can use the loo seat if you like.) Just add a few drops at a time, and take plenty of time.

The longer you take over making your lather, the better it'll be. Take a look at the lather shots thread. @alfredus gives some good pointers there.

Very comparable to the performance of the Lupo but I'm really wondering if it will benefit from a different blade so don't want to comment too much about the Ares performance after one shave but so far.....(y)
Hi @Pbgoose after you have notched up a few shaves with different blades be interested in comparison to Fatip Piccolo (y)

LugF1sjl.jpg

Soap: C&B Black Rose
Brush: Platypus
Blade: Polsilver (1)
That's up there with photo of the year as the filter makes the colours pop, especially the brush and razor! :snaphappy::eek:
Its a tough call as we're blessed with some great photographers/artists! :)

I wonder if loading directly from the full sized tub would make a difference.
Incidentally, while this is easiest, another approach is to scrape an almond-sized amount from the tub with an implement of some kind (a plastic card cut in half lengthways is good) or your thumbnail and smear that across the bottom of a bowl. This is a good approach of you want to keep your soap uncontaminated or if you only have a small sample.

The point is to load up PLENTY.

Pre-shave: Shower
Brush: Zenith unbleached bristle olive wood handle
Soap: Ogallala - Bay Rum, Limes & Peppercorns
Razor:- GC-84.P
Blade:- Wizamet (3)
Aftershave: Ogallala - Bay Rum, Limes & Peppercorns

b9uhzg3.jpg

I wonder if loading directly from the full-sized tub would make a difference.
The point is to load up PLENTY.
No no no.........NO! The REAL key issue, load the soap and your brush like you HATE IT, give the BASTARD THE TUB...... HELL!!! it's only bloody SOAP!!!

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: TF Customs - Magnifico Magenta 24mm 2 band finest.
Soap/Cream: Ariana & Evans - Which one's pink?
Razor: Razorock - SS Lupo 95
Blade: - Personna - Lab blue (5)
Post-shave: A&E - Which one's pink? AS splash / A&E skin food nourshing cream

2 pass WTG = DFS+. Practically a BBS. Great shave.
A very pepper and grapefruit forward oriental scent. I could still smell the pepper in the dry down for a while.

@SpeedyPC, Which one's pink? (NOT THE BRUSH !!!) :p

Warning about this soap. If you are allergic to grapefruit or Lavender EO this soap is packed with it. As such, it lit my face up on fire. A total opposite effect to a big menthol hit. Both soap and splash did the same thing. The balm cooled the face down in about 60 secs. I actually enjoyed the sensation o_O. I know if I shaved with the same soap again tomorrow, I won't feel anything. (YMMV) This has happened before wirh a few other soaps especiall lavender forward ones, so I know longer worry about it and learn to embrace the burn.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.