Not open for further replies.
Lazy re-post of yesterday's pic...
4.png

Pre-shave: Hot water, Pears soap
Brush: Forgotten Art "Southern Skies" 30mm Snow Leopard
Soap/Cream: Castle Forbes Lavender
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Kai PINK
Post-shave: Shower, Alum solution, Homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+

I've always believed it was virtually impossible to cut myself with the Vector, and until today have never done so. Managed to plough into a mole, and it took a couple of goes with the alum to stem the bloodshed. Bugger. Ruined a perfectly lovely shave.

RAZOR: Comoy's of London 6/8"
CREAM: A&E Vanille De Tabac / Tabac
BRUSH: Mason Pearson Best Badger knot
STROP: Dovo hanging leather
RifTm43.jpg

A&E continues to under perform :letterk2:. It's the third sample in a kind gift from Wilkshire13. I added a scoop of the soap to the bowl and lathered away. The bowl smelt like a cinnamon cake mix, absolutely delicious. First pass was ok, but the soap suds on the tissue paper indicated it was watery & weak. Second pass I added a little more soap to the bowl & lathered up, but my face looked like I had applied soapy water. I could clearly see my face and it was an absolute fail. I added a wee bit of Tabac to the bowl & it was a fantastic lather.

Yet another under performance by A&E, while I love the scents I'd never buy it. You have 'lesser' brands like Tabac that crush the performance at half the price.

It's not the soap!

Try a synthetic brush. Sounds like your drowning the soap in water unintentionally from the badger brush. The key to optimising these soaps is to add water slowly.

Last edited:
Pre-shave: Ach.Brito Glyce Classic
Brush: Omega 10083
Soap/Cream: Palmira
Razor: RazoRock aluminium Lupo head/Windrose Darwin SS handle
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock black (1)
Post-shave: Alum block, RazoRock Problem Solver, PAA Porthos Star Jelly, Adidas Ice Dive
Other: Pinaud Clubman Greaseless hair tonic
y4mH_eLScVg6qUVdUveFcwchpc8kZnKoRlosMoL1EZ9PfZXCv2Z9LJUxDaU9UErgwb1NzRC87AZL6aecQ5ZYodhPc8_gHBS0p8wZZIm1JxMdbc0dUQryClGXNtADjIquDiZi4hFlBrmTXa6jtb71CHuOS_fdHTPfyMI29kRwSY41qltJhi3e94A0AjvBDi3DOPJ

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Mike's Natural Soaps Hungarian Lavender shaving soap
Razor: Vintage Gillette 'Fatboy' Adjustable (7)
Blade: Vintage British Wilkinson Sword (11)
Post-shave: APR Lavande Violette splash
Fragrance: N/A

Really enjoying this brush. I think it is a keeper.

olPDROGl.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Mike's Natural Soaps Hungarian Lavender shaving soap
Razor: Vintage Gillette 'Fatboy' Adjustable (7)
Blade: Vintage British Wilkinson Sword (11)
Post-shave: APR Lavande Violette splash
Fragrance: N/A

Really enjoying this brush. I think it is a keeper.

olPDROGl.jpg
Yeah it looks the goods!

7KusATEl.jpg

Soap: APR Fenchurch
Brush: Semogue 1800
Razor: Lambda Ares
Blade: Dorco Prime (1)
2nd run with the Ares and the Prime was smoother delivering a smooth and very efficient shave easily dealing with my normal trouble spots. I should have pulled up at 2 passes as the 3rd pass had very little work to do and gave me a couple of minor weepers. I'll try the Dorco ST-301 next as it is slightly milder again.
So far I'm rating this razors performance up with the Lupo and the Rocnel Elite (shimmed) but failing to find a blade match it would rate 3rd out of the three.
The top cap only aligns well with the base plate one way, otherwise slightly jamming when put together which was surprising for a CNC produced razor.

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- BSB Spain 24mm
Soap:- Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary
Razors: Timeless 0.68 SB - Scalloped Head
Blade:- Wizamet
Aftershave:- Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary

Splendiferous
vjD4dbH.jpg

Must try 0.5mm SSSLIM Base Plate

RAZOR: Schultz - Espe
CREAM: A&E Asian Plum
BRUSH: Jack the Barber Synthetic knot
AFTERSHAVE: YSL Kouros
LRDbHtv.jpg

Second time using A&E Plum, again it failed to deliver. So much shame :unsure:

What happened this time?
Should have been easy with the synthetic brush. The Jack the Barber is great little brush.
If again your lather is wet and airy, then you have added too much water.

Try this method

When you add water, literally just add drips from your hand to the bowl.

Brush: Forgotten Art "Tarkine" 26mm Tuxedo
Soap/Cream: Zingari Man "The Explorer" sample - Thanks @Wilkshire13(y)
Razor: Razorock SS Hawk V3
Blade: Feather Professional Super
Post-shave: Shower, Homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+

This soap is really, really nice. Described as "woodsy", it's a very tasteful accord of citrus, vetiver and woods with a scent strength of low to mid. I won't talk about performance, as I expect all soaps to work perfectly these days. The only thing wrong with today's shave was I was too parsimonious with my load, and only had just enough with every skerrick on brush and bowl for two passes (face&head), so DFS+.

Brush: Forgotten Art "Tarkine" 26mm Tuxedo
Soap/Cream: Zingari Man "The Explorer" sample - Thanks @Wilkshire13(y)
Razor: Razorock SS Hawk V3
Blade: Feather Professional Super
Post-shave: Shower, Homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+

This soap is really, really nice. Described as "woodsy", it's a very tasteful accord of citrus, vetiver and woods with a scent strength of low to mid. I won't talk about performance, as I expect all soaps to work perfectly these days. The only thing wrong with today's shave was I was too parsimonious with my load, and only had just enough with every skerrick on brush and bowl for two passes (face&head), so DFS+.
This particular Zingari is my current go-to for performance and a pleasant scent. It's not overpowering and gives me a consistent base to compare razors and blades.

What happened this time?
Should have been easy with the synthetic brush. The Jack the Barber is great little brush.

Try this method

Did you tell him which way Kansas is?:)

RAZOR: Schultz - Espe
CREAM: A&E Asian Plum
BRUSH: Jack the Barber Synthetic knot
AFTERSHAVE: YSL Kouros
LRDbHtv.jpg

The second time using A&E Plum, again it failed to deliver. So much shame :unsure:
What happened this time?
Should have been easy with the synthetic brush. The Jack the Barber is a great little brush.

Try this method

You're STILL a bloody grasshopper @Straight up when using the sample of soaps instead of the tubs or sticks.

Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Taj Resin 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Noble Otter ~ Rawr
Razor/Blade:- Merkur 34C / Gillette Nacet #13
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- L'Occitane Baux

Status
Not open for further replies.