Shave of the Day Thread - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is just insane!! I can't seem to get a blade past about 5 shaves without it becoming rough. But hat tip to you Sir!!
There's a bit that you can do with your pre-shave to extend your blades, but ultimately it comes down to genetics - how tough your whiskers are. I suspect @SpeedyPC of having cotton-floss whiskers ;), there's no way most human beings get that many shaves out of a blade.

Though if you only shave above the upper lip, you don't wear out your blades as much as if you do both face and head. And it makes a difference whether you go for BBS or settle for SAS or DFS...
My stubble is very thick, nowhere near as a pussy cotton-floss, I’ve stopped chasing BBS for nearly two years now and I’m very happy with DFS or DFS+.

The secret is how good is your shaving technique and also your lather.

gfauntc.jpg

Mining Camp Shave

Prep: Barrister's Reserve Cool soap; Alt-Innsbruck Emulsion
Brush: Shavemac 3-band Silvertip Badger
Soap: Arko
Razor: Merkur Futur (2)
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium

At a remote mining camp, with very hard water. I have typically struggled with getting decent lather using various soaps/creams at this site, so decided to go with the nuclear option - Arko.
It did not let me down. Whilst exhibiting some minor adverse effects from the hard water, it nevertheless provided slick and reliable lather.
Don’t remember you using Arko @TomG just make your kids don’t do anything stupid behind your back :LOL:

krFtqsz.jpg

Friday SOTD

vagHIfg.png

Fine Accoutrements Worlds Finest Safety Razor
Gillette‌ 7 O'clock SharpEdge Yellow
Fine Accoutrements Black Synthetic Shaving Brush
Fine Accoutrements Platinum Shaving Soap
Fine Accoutrements Platinum Aftershave
Fine Accoutrements Platinum EdT

Saturday SOTD

fS12T3q.png

Fine Accoutrements Worlds Finest Safety Razor
Gillette‌ 7 O'clock SharpEdge Yellow
Fine Accoutrements Black Synthetic Shaving Brush
Fine Accoutrements Snake Bite Shaving Soap
Fine Accoutrements Snake Bite Aftershave

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Yaqi - Ivory 30mm Boss knot
Soap/Cream: Grooming Department - Lemon Bay
Razor: Muhle - Rocca R94
Blade: Gillette - Minora Stainless (2)
Post-shave: Thayers - Witch Hazel Lemon / Stirling - Lemon Chill PS balm

2 pass WTG daily shave = DFS+. Another nice shave with the Rocca and Minora set-up.

Last edited:
3-F6303-FB-B915-4221-9-C92-C4-A7-B65819-FF.jpg

Razor: Fine Marvel
Blade: Wizamet SI (5)
Brush: Yaqi Rainbow
Cream: The Body Shop Maca Root & Aloe
Pre-shave: Pears Transparent Soap

Should have waited till AFTER kids soccer this morning and taken a more leisurely shave. Good reminder that the smoothness and efficiency of the Fine Marvel belies a relatively aggressive head geometry and big blade gap. Rushed through two passes and for DFS+ result, but sliced into skin near the right ear. Must respect this razors ability to bite if you’re too hasty.

22-BDAF4-C-9-C1-A-48-F8-B871-6-A16-F8-BB1-F5-F.jpg

Hey @Razor Burn and @nav1 . Thanks for the generous comments. That was nice timing for my BD today.(y) I was thinking yesterday 'I'm going to make time tomorrow to do some work on my web site' and ended up being ham strung all day with a headache:sick:. My meth soap lab is just about finished. I've been meaning to post a couple of photos but am waiting on the joinery to cough up the kitchen cupboard doors, but don't know when it'll get to fire a shot in anger as where're getting close to having to move out of the house for the builder to take over for the reno's.
Sorry fella's, I'll get organised one day.

Happy birthday for yesterday!!

All the best getting your soap lab set-up! :D

Pre-shave:- Bloom Water
Brush:- Zenith Manchurian
Soap:- Mike's Natural - Barbershop
Razor:- Dubl Duck - Goldedge
Balm:- Stirling - Barbershop
8LUJ74C.jpg

Of all badgers the Zenith Manchurian has made best 1st impression, perfect amount of scritch, backbone and density - still a water/lather hog but not as bad as others

Hey @Razor Burn and @nav1 . Thanks for the generous comments. That was nice timing for my BD today.(y) I was thinking yesterday 'I'm going to make time tomorrow to do some work on my web site' and ended up being ham strung all day with a headache:sick:. My meth soap lab is just about finished. I've been meaning to post a couple of photos but am waiting on the joinery to cough up the kitchen cupboard doors, but don't know when it'll get to fire a shot in anger as where're getting close to having to move out of the house for the builder to take over for the reno's.
Sorry fella's, I'll get organised one day.
Wishing you a belated Happy Birthday and best wishes with the renovations and I keenly await news that the site is up and running as you've got a keen customer chomping at the bits to get some of your awesome soap/s. :nailbiting:(y)

Debut shave for the 1917 Old type. Wow this is an efficient razor! Was expecting it to be more 'bitey' but pretty smooth offering and first pass knocked it down amazingly. You really get the social class class system with vintage razors. Aristocrats are on the milder side but used by the upper class who daily shaved and needed that appropriate level of aggressiveness. This is a razor for the troops in WWI trenches who needed a quick shave without going through multiple passes for his gas mask to seal properly. No weepers tonight and an enjoyable shave. Needs a more shallow approach but the blade feel is nice. Forget your Karve F plate...get an old type

Razor-Old type single ring
Blade-Nacet
Brush-DS Cosmetics 26mm badger
Soap-RR Puros
Post shave-Old Spice Burley

SOTWeekend...
4.png

Pre-shave: Hot water, Pears soap
Brush: Forgotten Art "Southern Skies" 30mm Snow Leopard
Soap/Cream: Castle Forbes Lavender
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Schick Proline
Post-shave: Shower, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+

A few weeks ago, I think I mentioned that this soap had no more than a couple of shaves left in it. I've lost count of how many shaves it's given since, and it just keeps on giving. I'm not complaining, this is a great base with the purest lavender scent of any soap I've tried.

A few weeks ago, I think I mentioned that this soap had no more than a couple of shaves left in it. I've lost count of how many shaves it's given since, and it just keeps on giving. I'm not complaining, this is a great base with the purest lavender scent of any soap I've tried.
What available and affordable aftershave would you pair it with?

What available and affordable aftershave would you pair it with?
I don't really go in for after-shaves, but the Stirling Bergamot Lavender EDT goes fine with it. Soon, I'm going to have a go at making my own EDT using a combo including a Greek wild lavender (L. stoechas) EO that's on its way from Ikaria in the Eastern Aegean right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.