Shave of the Day Thread - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
W7Jwg1Hm.jpg

Soap: Pb Henry
Brush: Omega 10083
Razor: Vector
Blade: Kai Captain Mild (4)

Haha, didn't know you had any samples left.
I was lucky enough to find a few extra in the Sample Box that @Mark1966 kindly brought around to our last CBR Meet UP (seems like eons ago now).

The others I grabbed during your last visit are almost gone so I keenly await a chance to resupply as the formula works great and the scents are quite pleasant, barring that Bushfire Smokey one that you made... :LOL:

No rush as I still have some soaps/samples to use up first but best wishes with the adventure! ;)

I was lucky enough to find a few extra in the Sample Box that @Mark1966 kindly brought around to our last CBR Meet UP (seems like eons ago now).

The others I grabbed during your last visit are almost gone so I keenly await a chance to resupply as the formula works great and the scents are quite pleasant, barring that Bushfire Smokey one that you made... :LOL:

No rush as I still have some soaps/samples to use up first but best wishes with the adventure! ;)
Haha, I was just thinking the other day I want to make some more 'Mirrors and Smoke'. I'm missing it but yes the scent is polarising, there were a few who found it too much.

Some people find the Feather takes a day or two to settle down. It never bothered me, since by the time I've got to the end of 1st pass on face and head the blade already has a bit of mileage on it, but of course YMMV. Some folks abbreviate the seasoning process by dragging the blade across a cork a couple of times.
From personal use I'd suggest running the blade over some denim or as suggested a cork to alleviate the initial harshness as Feathers normally smooth out up to the 5th shave.

As a face shave I enjoy pairing a Feather or similar sharp blade (BIC, Nacet, Yellows, etc) with a milder DE like DE89, 34C but for head shaves they're way too harsh as the skin is thinner and more sensitive to irritation and bleeding.

For that specific reason I stopped using them in my Leaf as it always ended up making my head feel rough and the regrowth was quicker and uneven... YMMV and best of luck!

Haha, I was just thinking the other day I want to make some more 'Mirrors and Smoke'. I'm missing it but yes the scent is polarising, there were a few who found it too much.
I believe I sampled Grapefruit, M&M, Red Dwarf, Grapfruit, Blue Tobacco and one other that the name escapes me and they're all quite pleasant. (y)

What surprises me is the slickness and shine to the lather with my face feeling soft and no need for heavy post shave products. Must be due to the extra oils, clay and butter you use but I recall you mentioning you adapt the formula each time...? :unsure:

I believe I sampled Grapefruit, M&M, Red Dwarf, Grapfruit, Blue Tobacco and one other that the name escapes me and they're all quite pleasant. (y)

What surprises me is the slickness and shine to the lather with my face feeling soft and no need for heavy post shave products. Must be due to the extra oils, clay and butter you use but I recall you mentioning you adapt the formula each time...? :unsure:
That’s why @Pbgoose wouldn’t us buy his FANTASTIC soaps, because, he’s afraid that we all might steal his secret formula from him.

Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Taj Resin 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Noble Otter/APR ~ Texaus (Limited Edition)
Razor/Blade:- Merkur 34G / Wizamet Polsilver Brown Stainless #3
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- L'Occitane Baux

That’s why @Pbgoose wouldn’t us buy his FANTASTIC soaps, because, he’s afraid that we all might steal his secret formula from him.
but I recall you mentioning you adapt the formula each time...? :unsure:
In my meth soap lab there is no one recipe 'to rule them all'. I like to vary the base so you get to enjoy the benefits of a number of different ingredients. For eg. @nav1 put me onto Tamanu oil which is a fantastic ingredient but cannot be used with some scent profiles as it overpowers some scents.

1.png

Pre-shave: Hot water, Pears soap
Brush: Forgotten Art "Tarkine" 26mm Tuxedo
Soap/Cream: Blue Devil Vetiver sample - Thanks @rhodes96 (y)
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Schick Proline, Kai PINK
Post-shave: Shower, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+

I thought I'd leave everything to chance and just pick a sample today without looking at the list to see what it is. As it turned out, it didn't take me very long to realise it was a Blue Devil soap, so it had to be the vetiver scent. If I had realised, I wouldn't have loaded so much. :rolleyes: Never mind. Had to interrupt he first pass because I'd lost track of how many shaves the Proline had on it, and had to pause for a change. The scent of this soap is very light (a good thing IMO when it comes to vetiver) and could almost pass for unscented. Great shave.(y)

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- Zenith Manchurian
Soap:- A&E Barbiere Sofisticato
Razor:- Gillette Popular
Blade :- Vintage Gillette Red (6)
Balm:- A&E Barbiere Sofisticato

#BACKINBLACK
csHz9uL.jpg

No trade on the Popular so I polished it up for a shave. Very nice close shave and still enjoying minimal regrowth 14Hrs later.
A fairly aggressive razor as you expect from an open comb and while I could feel the blade going to work also felt protected from any mishaps
Overall I am very impressed with the shave although the handle is a bit thin and felt like I was holding a match stick.
A&E Barbiere Sofisticato immediately post shave has a very herbal scent with middle notes of citrus drying down to a powdery floral scent

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: TF Customs - 24mm 2 band finest
Soap/Cream: OSP - Chambre
Razor: Muhle - Rocca R94
Blade: Gillette - Minora Stainless (4)
Post-shave: Geo F Trumper - Coral skin food / A&E - skin food noushing cream

2 pass WTG daily shave = DFS+. Another great shave with the Rocca and Minora set-up.

I have had this soap Chambre for a few years sitting in the soap archives. Decided to give it lather. It is supposed to be a homage to Dior Farenheit. Scent is very minimal and I can pick out some scent notes such as the violet leaf, sandalwood, carnation, a little lemon. The rest of this complex scent is too subdued to pick up. Defiantly the lather has helped bring the scent out compared to no scent before I lathered it. A very decent performing soap, for an earlier vegan formulation before OSP went tallow.

Last edited:
From personal use I'd suggest running the blade over some denim or as suggested a cork to alleviate the initial harshness as Feathers normally smooth out up to the 5th shave.

I might have to try this next time I open a Feather blade.

As a face shave I enjoy pairing a Feather or similar sharp blade (BIC, Nacet, Yellows, etc) with a milder DE like DE89, 34C but for head shaves they're way too harsh as the skin is thinner and more sensitive to irritation and bleeding.

It didn't cut me up bad, just wasn't as smooth as as other blades I've used.

For that specific reason I stopped using them in my Leaf as it always ended up making my head feel rough and the regrowth was quicker and uneven... YMMV and best of luck!

That's a razor I'm curious about, lots of Youtubers seem to recommend the Leaf as a regular head shaver.

That's a razor I'm curious about, lots of Youtubers seem to recommend the Leaf as a regular head shaver.
As a head shaver of many years, I just use whatever razor in using for my face. But for me the Vector reigns supreme, the most perfect razor (for everything really) but it really shines for shaving heads. Nearly as much as my head. :LOL:

In my meth soap lab there is no one recipe 'to rule them all'. I like to vary the base so you get to enjoy the benefits of a number of different ingredients. For eg. @nav1 put me onto Tamanu oil which is a fantastic ingredient but cannot be used with some scent profiles as it overpowers some scents.

This is the most unique aspect of your soaps. The base is adjusted according to the ingredient/s used to impart a benefit for the user.

This means each soap is its own unique recipe!

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Noble Otter Two Kings shaving soap
Razor: Muhle Rocca R95 Birch Bark razor
Blade: Iridium Super Extra Stainless (2)
Post-shave: Noble Otter Two Kings splash
Fragrance: Penhaligon's Halfeti EDP

Nice ...

GfgYovfl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.