Shave of the Day Thread - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
past couple SOTD

51325413531_e8ba8c2ba3_b.jpg

51324676262_24514339a5_b.jpg

What's the best vintage head/modern handle combo in your opinion?
I swap handles a bit but not for modern versions.
No idea - this is my only 'Frankenrazor' !
The vintage NEW head is a great head and this handle has good heft and balance. Despite the different threads (thanks for the reminder @Holiday) it works and keep me happy!
The only modern handle that I can use is the Rockwell 6s. It fits the NEW improved, RFB but not the NEW head.
Everything else is three piece. I CAN make a ton up using different vintage handles though.
I am thinking the Karve 3" handle will add a nice bit of weight to New LC but will run a 10-32 tap through the Karve handle so as not to damage thread on the New LC because there is nothing wrong with the New LC with original handle
uQM8ofq.jpg

Snails got to that splash bottle?
The bastards used to enjoy my mail growing up, good to know they still like a feed on your labels!

lol I think I may of got the alcohol on the sticker a few too many times.. as for the scent on this one, I’m still not sure if I like it or not.. I get both those feelings with it, strange scent

Pre: Pure Shea butter , Hot Shower
Brush: Semogue Badger
Soap: Long Rifle 1776
Razor: Muhle R108
Blade: Astra Blue

First time trying the blue Astra, it's a smooth and forgiving blade. It felt quite different from the green Astra , which I don't care for much.

Razor thanks to @Pbgoose Dr. Balfanz
Soap - Thank to @SpeedyPC and his suggestion of Haslinger.
Brush -Semogue 2000
Jnat edge on Ozuku with final Kitta slurry.

The shave from this blade was sensational. It took a most phenomenal edge.​
Another picture :eek::eek::eek:
Must be really boring in lockdown :D :D :D

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: TF Customs - P&C charity auction 2020 ivory 24mm 2 band finest
Soap/Cream: Hendrix Classics & Co. - Emperor Oud
Razor: Blackland - Tradere
Blade: Personna - Lab blue (1)
Post-shave: Floid - Suave AS splash / HC&C - Emperor Oud AS balm

2 pass WTG daily shave = DFS.( just) This blade really struggled to slice my whiskers on the first pass. The blade was not smooth or efficient at all. The second pass was not as bad, although it started to cause irritation so I ended the shave. Looks like this blade is not compatible with this razor.

The Soap - Hendrix Classics & Co - Emperor Oud. Scent strength is very mild off the tub and almost non exisitant once lathered. The balm is light to medium strength. Scent notes, Oud. This soap is very mild with a light musty earthy woody note. That is pretty much what oud is. The balm is slightly stronger on the scent. Soap performance is very good for a vegan base, really good residual slickness. I think a synthetic brush will make a super lather from this soap.

Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson shaving brush
Soap/Cream: B&M Petrichor soap
Razor: Vintage NEW head on TSW Bren handle
Blade: Super Iridium (4)
Post-shave: B&M Petrichor splash
Fragrance: N/A

Arhhhh

CUHCndSl.jpg

Razor thanks to @Pbgoose Dr. Balfanz
Soap - Thank to @SpeedyPC and his suggestion of Haslinger.
Brush -Semogue 2000
Jnat edge on Ozuku with final Kitta slurry.

The shave from this blade was sensational. It took a most phenomenal edge.​
Good to see the Dr Balfanz getting some love. Thought it might respond to the right touch. Hope it serves well.:)(y)

RAZOR: Comoys of London 6/8"
CREAM: TOBS Jermyn St
BRUSH: Mason Pearson Best Badger knot
STROP: Dovo hanging leather
AFTERSHAVE: Chanel Allure
ANsNKug.jpg

A big thanks to Gargravarr for his generosity :D. While he may have not cared much for the scent I really like it. It isn't as strong as the other TOBS I have tried but it is different from the rest of mine so that's nice.

51327523924_b8727f8dd7_z.jpg

Brush: Maggard Midnight Blue 24mm SHD badger
Razor: ATT Windsor Pro SB90
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (2)
Lather: Barrister and Mann - Reserve Waves

I recently picked up Oceana by Barrister and Mann, and I like that a lot more, so I’m trying to kill off this tub. Great shave today though.

Razor-Parker 99R
Brush-Yaqi 24mm synth
Blade-Treet Carbon (Black Beauty)
Soap-Razorock Aqua
Aftershave-Blue Stratos

Debut shave for both soap and blades that arrived in 24hrs from Vshod 😳
With the only Blue Stratos shave cream coming out of a can compressed I thought I'd try RR Aqua. Off the puck it's very close in scent.. certainly a close match. Similar to Squadron Empire but more cologne category. Very nice. Quick swirl and thick slick lather resulting.

The blades are intriguing. Modern carbon blades. This 99R sometimes needs a bit of taming and works well with blades of the milder kind. Obvious razor choice. Blades start off smoothe and give a decent audio feedback. No tugging even around chin area. Not the sharpest blade but very comfortable to use. No weepers this razor can normally cause. Zero irritation and blade taken out of razor and dried as directed. Would I use them in a mild razor? Probably not.

Longetivity will be a test. Still they look cool.

Second use of the carbon blade last night. Again in the 99R. No rust in blade and two shaves and it's out. Wouldn't push it three. Whilst again it's a very comfortable blade it's short lived. If you are a peach fuzz 13yr old is not a bad choice. Most probably right tuggy in a milder razor. Will try it in a tech and see.

2.png

Pre-shave: Hot water, Pears soap
Brush: Yaqi Rainbow Pony
Soap/Cream: Ariana & Evans - NYC (y)@rhodes96
Razor: RR SS Hawk V3
Blade: Feather Pro Super
Post-shave: Shower, Homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+.
COTD: Yemen Mocha Ismaili

On a roll with samples from @rhodes96' care package, this soap is (to be honest) a bit too cologny for my taste. Though A&E have at least not made it cloying. (Their Asian Plum soap holds the record for the shortest time in my den before being moved on unlathered.) Scent notes supplied are "lavender, geranium, orange, anise, chamomile, tobacco, sandalwood, vetiver, patchouli, cedar, hay, cardamon and musk". I think I get most of those if I concentrate, but I'm unlikely to do so again...

I have to hand it to them though, theirs is one of the very best bases I've ever tried. It's almost impossible to get a bad shave with it.

Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Taj Resin 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Stirling Soap ~ Barbershop
Razor/Blade:- Merkur 34G / Gillette Minora Stainless #14
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)

Sons-of-the-blood-Robyn-Young.jpg

Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Taj Resin 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Stirling Soap ~ Barbershop
Razor/Blade:- Merkur 34G / Gillette Minora Stainless #14
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)

Sons-of-the-blood-Robyn-Young.jpg
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.