Shave of the Day Thread - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can recommend the standard SB plate. It works fine giving a very comfortable shave with Prolines or PINKs, and using the Super gives it a lot more tooth, roughly in the R41 range (but much more comfortable). I had the OC plate when I first got the razor, and it was a bit uncomfortable on my dome. Thinking about it now, as a daily shaver, I wouldn't consider getting any more OCs.

Comparison to the Vector is hard: they'll both get you to a perfect Dolphin-Butt shave, but as everyone here knows, the Vector is my ultimate grail razor and daily driver.
Thanks again for the input as in two minds justifying the need for another razor but as nice as the Vector is I'd prefer something similar at a fraction of the price as unsure when the SS will be restocked and finding AC blades suit my growth to a tee - daily head and face shaves!

Luckily the Hawk V3 is available locally so might see what Santa delivers me for Christmas... (y):bag:

Pre-shave: Hot shower, Proraso Green
Soap: Blue Devil - Strawberry Patch.
Brush: Maggards 24mm synthetic
Razor: Razorock Lupo 72
Blade: BIC Chrome Platinum
Post-shave: Alum block, @SpeedyPC concoction.

After all the discussion around the BIC's this week I thought it was time to revisit them. I had used them in my German 37 with mixed results and hoped for better from the 72.

WTG felt really good, smooth, easy, no cuts or anything. Therefore I was very surprised when I had more weepers from that one pass than I'd had in over a week of using the Nacet. The next two passes produced similar results, they felt great, especially the problem area on my neck felt really easy, but I had heaps of weepers. The alum block was akin to a torture session! Even the @SpeedyPC aftershave brew stung a little, which I haven't experienced before. I binned the blade straight away, but later I couldn't help but be impressed with how good a shave it was, with no redness or irritation. Rather confusing that. I might have to try one in the Yintal to see how it goes.

After all the discussion around the BIC's this week I thought it was time to revisit them. I had used them in my German 37 with mixed results and hoped for better from the 72.

WTG felt really good, smooth, easy, no cuts or anything. Therefore I was very surprised when I had more weepers from that one pass than I'd had in over a week of using the Nacet. The next two passes produced similar results, they felt great, especially the problem area on my neck felt really easy, but I had heaps of weepers. The alum block was akin to a torture session! Even the @SpeedyPC aftershave brew stung a little, which I haven't experienced before. I binned the blade straight away, but later I couldn't help but be impressed with how good a shave it was, with no redness or irritation. Rather confusing that. I might have to try one in the Yintal to see how it goes.
From experience mate the Bic's shave a bit harsh initially so give them a couple shaves as they tend to lose their harshness.

Also ensure you have adequate cushioning from your lather as you'll be surprised how much difference lather can make especially when using sharper blades. Trust me I notice similar results if I rush my lather as the face needs that extra bit of protection and hydration usually results in a great shave! ;)

Hard to disagree with you regarding the price as buying in bulk would end up good value but don't see myself going that way as they currently sit between Proline-Kai Pink and I get better results if I just use those instead and I'm noticing the regrowth isn't as even but appreciate the sample as I now know what to expect. (y)

I find A&E products get hyped up and don't get me wrong the soap base/s are fantastic but what puts me off is the scents as the majority are way too chemically with the only ones that I enjoyed being a few of the Club Members exclusives that @rhodes96 sent as samples. Frankly I get just as good a lather using lesser priced soaps but Peter must be doing something right as he gets plenty of praise from wet shavers!? I also find women get turned off by his scents as the few the misses has sampled were big NO NOs!!!

I find the natural angle of the head gives the best shave when using the Vector as that way I get the right amount of blade feel and a close/smooth shave. I'm inclined to try a Hawk V3 myself as a cheaper option to the similar styled AC razors (especially the Alpha Claymore) but uncertain on which plate to go with as 2/3 plates sound too harsh and what difference would the standard shave to say the Vector...? But then again AC blades provide me the closest shave compared with DE blades...??? :confused:

Forget the Hawk V3. You have the best AC razor available! I would offer you mine to try if I knew you would be happy, trust me you won't. The A plate is the pick of the plates as it is the most versatile, but in all honestly the Vector Titanium blows the Hawk away in every department.

Forget the Hawk V3. You have the best AC razor available! I would offer you mine to try if I knew you would be happy, trust me you won't. The A plate is the pick of the plates as it is the most versatile, but in all honestly the Vector Titanium blows the Hawk away in every department.
Cheers mate as I value your opinion. (y)

From experience mate the Bic's shave a bit harsh initially so give them a couple shaves as they tend to lose their harshness.

Also ensure you have adequate cushioning from your lather as you'll be surprised how much difference lather can make especially when using sharper blades. Trust me I notice similar results if I rush my lather as the face needs that extra bit of protection and hydration usually results in a great shave! ;)
Thanks for the advice. I was a little rushed and probably didn't get the lather as good as it could have been. I'll give them another go, making sure I get the lather developed properly. As I said, the shave felt really good, so I was very surprised at the amount of blood.

Let's not forget the ancient proverb of "YMMV" here. Who knows, he may really enjoy the Hawk V3

Let's not forget the ancient proverb of "YMMV" here. Who knows, he may really enjoy the Hawk V3
Too be brutally honest I was trying to justify another "unnecessary" wet shaving purchase and seeing some recent reviews/SOTD posts had me itching to give it a try but the Vector and Outlaw DE have eased the RAD itch.. For now... ;)

vjegLwJ.jpg

Razor: Smart Helix Apollo
Blade: Ladas (1)
Brush: Tony Forsyth Matilda Prototype Rhodium knots 2-band Silvertip
Lather: Blue Devil Shave Co. Lemonwood

Sensational setup and shave - very happy days!

I hope you all have a terrific Tuesday (y)

Razor: Wolfman Ti WR2 1.05
Blade: Wizamet
Brush: Turn-N-Shave M3 Galaxy Sorby
Soap: Barrister and Mann - Fougere Gothique
EDC: Acqua Di Parma - Colonia

Slowly working my way through my favourite blades on the WR2. Not sure how I feel about Wizamets yet. They seem to give a closer shave but don’t feel as smooth as GSB or Feathers.
Vr4ORex.jpg

vjegLwJ.jpg

Razor: Smart Helix Apollo
Blade: Ladas (1)
Brush: Tony Forsyth Matilda Prototype Rhodium knots 2-band Silvertip
Lather: Blue Devil Shave Co. Lemonwood

Sensational setup and shave - very happy days!

I hope you all have a terrific Tuesday (y)
Hey great to see the new razor mate! ;)

Pre: Proraso red pre-shave cream
Brush: TF Customs Arctic Ice 2 band finest
Soap: The Sudsey Soapery, Citrus & Bay
Razor: 1957ish British Rocket Flare Tip II (??)
Blade: Gillette Bleue Extra (2) Vintage maybe, pretty old NOS though.
After: Alum Block, Stray Whisker After Balm, Stirling Sharp Dressed Man After Shave (from a tiny little sample bottle)

Lather shot scraping the bowl out after 3 passes.
Been leaning on this soap for a couple of weeks now, with a view to continue until finished.
Got the donut going, so pushed the sides in to the centre with thumb to keep the party going until there's no more.
Still got the matching post shave oil for this soap. Probably won't finish that at the same time but.

61UvRdw.jpg

Thanks for the advice. I was a little rushed and probably didn't get the lather as good as it could have been. I'll give them another go, making sure I get the lather developed properly. As I said, the shave felt really good, so I was very surprised at the amount of blood.

Hi Zeke, dont judge a blade/razor combination on a face full of scars. I notice the really efficient combinations will rip the head off any scars from previous weepers, pimples or skin tags. If you dont have any old scars it will just be a damn efficient shave with possibly no weepers. A slick protective lather will definitely help (y)

21 November
Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Taj Resin 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Stirling Soap ~ Amyris (Limited Edition)
Razor/Blade:- RazoRock SS Lupo 72 / Gillette Stainless (red & white pack) #9
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- Tabac Craftsman

23 November
Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Butterscotch 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Stirling Soap ~ Amyris (Limited Edition)
Razor/Blade:- Merkur 34C / Gillette Stainless (red & white) #32
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- Tabac Craftsman

Lost Tribe of the Sith book 6 of 9
51gRVa4hrfL.jpg

Lupo 95
BIC
Omega Boar 10098
Blue Devil LUST
Old Spice Original

happy to say BIC blades are very smooth in the Lupo 95 as well as the 72.. the increase efficiency in the 95 dropped a pass or two in the shave down to 2 passes and touch-ups for a lovely BBS. The old spice matches very well with the Lust and have to say I absolutely love the Blue Devil soap base (y)

51699694953_682a5c0b10_b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.