Shave of the Day Thread - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
AMUOV8Ll.jpg

True, but you can't complain at the price mark of about USD 20 ±10. They were not made to look "pretty", they just shave well.

No, I will not be putting together a M7DS of these SR's but I will keep this one in my odds-and-sods rotation.
I picked 4 of mine up for $15 each when a retailer was in liquidation. I then had a 5 day set (I was shaving 5 days a week) which I was going to have laser etched, however the cost of etching was worth more than the razors. So now the live in their own box in fixed positions without 'names', no point putting makeup on a pig.

s12.png

Pre-shave: Hot water, Pears soap
Brush: Forgotten Art "Southern Skies" 30mm Snow Leopard
Soap: Castle Forbes Lavender
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Feather Professional Super
Post-shave: Shower, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+, C&S Oxford & Cambridge Cologne
COTD: Shakisso Estate, Ethiopia

Back when I first started out with the Vector, I arrived from a world where I had been accustomed to more aggressive razors (R41, JAWS), and it was perhaps inevitable that I would be drawn to the Super as my go-to blade for the Vector, and for a while I considered nothing else. Subsequently "discovering" Prolines and PINKs, it has now been about a year since I last visited this blade combo. It is definitely what I would call assertive. It commands respect, as it's all too easy to lop the top off any unsuspecting mole, but gives a fantastic DBS result. I'll be revisiting this one more often in the future.

It commands respect, as it's all too easy to lop the top off any unsuspecting mole, but gives a fantastic DBS result.
Look forward to trying Super in the Vector. Did not venture there with Hawk OC because the additional blade width is so obvious the thought of more assertive shave was a scary one.

Nice to see the great Tassie outdoors again in SOTD

s12.png

Post-shave: Shower, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+, C&S Oxford & Cambridge Cologne

Back when I first started out with the Vector, I arrived from a world where I had been accustomed to more aggressive razors (R41, JAWS), and it was perhaps inevitable that I would be drawn to the Super as my go-to blade for the Vector, and for a while I considered nothing else. Subsequently "discovering" Prolines and PINKs, it has now been about a year since I last visited this blade combo. It is definitely what I would call assertive. It commands respect, as it's all too easy to lop the top off any unsuspecting mole, but gives a fantastic DBS result. I'll be revisiting this one more often in the future.
I've got a Super loaded up in the Vector waiting to go for a shave sometime next week ;)

Look forward to trying Super in the Vector. Did not venture there with Hawk OC because the additional blade width is so obvious the thought of more assertive shave was a scary one.
I can't remember if I tried it with the OC plate, but the Super is just right with the standard plate in the Hawk. Significantly milder than it is with the Vector.

IMG-20211127-142500-2.jpg

Brush: Omega Evo E1857 28mm Silversynth
Razor: RazoRock Hawk V3 SB plate - thanks @Gargravarr
Blade: Schick Proline P-30 (2)
Pre: Shower
Soap: A&E Asian Plum
Post: Milkman HQ Spring Rider Serum // Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm
WTG, ATG, Touchups = DFS+

Stay Safe & Happy Shaves!

25 November
Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Ash Wood 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Mitchell's Wool Fat
Razor/Blade:- Gillette Flare Tip Rocket (0.58mm) 1950's made in England / Gillette Nacet #2
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- Tabac Craftsman

27 November
Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Cherry Wood 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Blue Devil ~ Lemonwood
Razor/Blade:- Gillette Red Tip (0.81mm) 1950's made in England / Gillette Nacet #2
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- Tabac Craftsman

Lost Tribe of the Sith book 7 of 9
12076800.jpg

Friday's shave was with my ¾ Comoy's of London SR and a damb fine shave it was too. Yesterday (Saturday) I decided to compare the Comoy against my antique pre 1924 T.R. Cabman & Sons ¾ "Bengall" using the same prep.

full

Both the Comoy and Cadman gave very similar shave results. The Comoy was a little different to shave with as its balance point is much nearer the blade's shoulder than the Cadman but still a great shaver.

This morning (Sunday) I did a compare, the Comoy and the antique Cadman against my vintage post 1923 T.R. Cadman & Sons Ltd ¾ "Bengall". Again I used the same prep.

full

This Cadman gave a slightly closer and more comfortable shave. I will put the Comoy and antique Cadman through a full diamond pasted balsa strop progression to try and bring them up to standard.

It's not easy being a SR shaver with a stable but it is a challenge and most enjoyable.

Next week I will work through some of my odds-and-sods with face lathered tallow Tabac.

Last edited:
Pre-Shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Wild West Brushworks - 26mm V7 Fanchurian
Soap/Cream: A&E - Khalifa
Razor: Blackland - Vector Ti
Blade: Schick - Proline (6)
Post-shave: A&E - Khalifa AS splash / A&E skin food nourishing cream.

2 pass WTG + touchups = DFS+. ( excelente)
SOTD posts have been on the back burner as I have
been busy with life. Going back home next month after exactly 2 years away from the family. Unfortunately other matters won't allow me to stay more than a few months before I must return back here. Deciding whether to pack everything up into storage or leave everything alone. Maybe Covid might leave me stranded again, decisions decisions.:unsure::rolleyes:

JAWS
Gillette Minora
26mm 2-band badger TroyCraft
Tabac Soap and Splash

sometimes you just get those eureka moments. reckon this is the first time I paired a minora with the jaws and took on three days growth, this combo gave me a super smooth BBS, with zero nicks or irritation.. strange as the minora is a sharp blade and the razor is quite efficient yet it felt like a mild shave but mild it certainly was not

the lather was exceptional, cant say enough about how this brush :love:

51710131943_fb1f975540_b.jpg

Brush: Simpsons Trafalgar T3
Razor: RazoRock Hawk V3 SB plate - thanks @Gargravarr
Blade: Schick Proline P-30 (3)
Pre: Shower
Soap: A&E Asian Plum
Post: Milkman HQ Spring Rider Serum // Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm
WTG, ATG, Touchups = DFS+

For whatever reason the photo didn't capture but no worries as a satisfactory results using the loan Hawk V3 and thus far its delivering smooth and comfortable shaves and I'm thankful for the loan with plans for a few more shaves before I send it back to its owner...

Stay Safe & Happy Shaves!

KmoLoApl.jpg

Soap: Pb Myrrlin
Brush: SOC Cherry Boar
Razor: Ever Ready Streamline
Blade: GEM (1)
First run of the Streamline. It was a good shave but no better than any of the other GEM type razors I have. I probably prefer the 1912 pattern. Will be interesting to compare to the GEM Jewel.

Post-shave: Alum, Shower, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+

Same setup as yesterday, hence no pic. However, this morning's use of the Super was not nearly as felicitous. I was rewarded with a plethora of weepers, and was forced to resort to the alum solution for the first time in months, and it almost made me yelp out loud. :eek: I can't believe this is the same blade that was my go-to for this razor about a year ago, and delivered such a fine result yesterday. Not sure what went wrong there, maybe a bad hair day. That'd be a neat trick, heh. :unsure:

Back to the Proline tomorrow, methinks...

BEwjwKg.jpeg

Pre: Hot Shower
Brush: Omega 10029
Soap: Squadron Empire
Razor: Yaqi Raster V3
Blade: Feather Professional Super (1)
Post: The Ordinary Glycolic Acid Toner, Nivea Skin & Stubble

Sometimes you see a trailer for a movie after which you have totally made up your mind that the movie was going to suck. Then you watch it and think... hey this wasn't actually so bad. Not great, but not the disaster you thought it was going to be. In fact, almost... enjoyable?

I cannot say if this is a Vector killer, nor can I say if it even shaves half as good as one, as I have never had the pleasure to even breathe on a Vector. What I can say however... is despite the quality issues - rough machining, finish blemishes, base plate hole too big for the cut post requiring the top cap to be aligned properly before tightening, the Raster is perfectly competent. Almost boringly so. It just goes about its job with little fuss. The only impediment was me being careful and slow at the start while I worked out its handling. My only experience with SEs so far was with a Gem 1912, and the immediate feel that I got was similar to that, probably due to the blade stiffness and thickness. I felt the Feather Pro was a little rough at the start, but on the 2nd pass the blade smoothed out a little. I began to see the allure of an ultra slim SE head. Pardon the terrible analogy, but it was like a squeegee for the window that is your face. I think the Raster is one or two tweaks away from being a great razor, specifically with the head geometry and blade angle.

If anything, the Raster has only made me maddeningly curious about a Vector. Then I remember the Raster only cost me 1/10 of what the Vector costs. Perhaps ignorance can be bliss.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.