Shave of the Day Thread - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Ash Wood 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Noble Otter ~ Firefighter
Razor/Blade:- Muhle Rocca R94 / Gillette Stainless (red & white pack) #10
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- Hugo Boss (Original)

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- Thater 4292/5 25mm 2 band Finest Silvertip bulb brush
Soap:- M&M - Triskele
Razors: RR-GC_84P
Blade:- Wizamet (3)
Aftershave:- M&M - Triskele

beg1tL6.jpg

Needed a baseline shave with the Wizamet and did not disappoint. On 3rd shave it performed extremely well in the GC and most likely will exceed the Feather in overall performance

Unfortunately this means the R95, Brush and Stand are most likely heading to BST ⛑

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- Thater 4292/5 25mm 2 band Finest Silvertip bulb brush
Soap:- M&M - Triskele
Razors: RR-GC_84P
Blade:- Wizamet (3)
Aftershave:- M&M - Triskele

beg1tL6.jpg

Needed a baseline shave with the Wizamet and did not disappoint. On 3rd shave it performed extremely well in the GC and most likely will exceed the Feather in overall performance

Unfortunately this means the R95, Brush and Stand are most likely heading to BST ⛑
0cG80k.gif

VHEd8Eq.jpg

• Pre: Water
  • Razor: Muhle Rocca R96
  • Blade: Wizamet
  • Soap: Grooming Department - Otium
  • Brush: Oumo 26mm SHD Manchuria fan
My other SHD badger. Actually feels as though it did feel a bit more dense than the SHD Hook fan (probably just in my head, though). Tips don't feel as gelly as the Hook knot, but didn't feel any less softer. No scritch as well, which is how I like badgers now (probably means buh bye for my Yaqi 24mm High Mountain Badger - but we'll see). If it wasn't for the TH, I might be tempted to just use badgers all the time. I did discover one thing though. The SHD badgers take a while longer to dry fully than a regular badger knot (when compared to my Yaqi badgers). My Hook badger I shaved with yesterday still feels damp near the base of the hairs. Good thing I've got plenty of brushes to rotate now.

GD's infamous Nai base with its ludicrous 30+ ingredients. Some liken it to high end makeup. I do get that vibe when I smell it off the puck. Lathers up like softened cream cheese/heavy cream. I think I could have added more water, but once I got a sheen, I usually start shaving at that point. Feels very lotion-y in texture. Only adequate slickness but with good cushion. Scent strength is low which is advantageous because it's not too pleasant, tbh. Comes off like a mix of supermarket makeup foundation, baby shampoo, aniseed and something astringent, like floor cleaner? Also there's a cloying kind of sweetness to it. The plus for all the speciality ingredients is supposed to be post shave skin nourishment. I find the post shave good and not drying, but not much better than any 10 other artisan bases. And I always use a balm anyway, so post-shave is pretty redundant.

First go with the Wizamet. Part of me was hoping it was going to suck (because with blades, everyone is different) so that I wouldn't have to consider buying these in the future. This tuck cost me USD$9. Ouch! But there's a reason why a lot of members here like them so much. Smoother than Astra SP or Dorco. And, not surprisingly, got better as the shave went on, probably as the blade edge got worn in. Not sure if it's so much better than the Gillette 7oC yellow (my current fav) to justify the additional expense of acquiring it. Will have to give it a few more shaves to find out.

VHEd8Eq.jpg

• Pre: Water
  • Razor: Muhle Rocca R96
  • Blade: Wizamet
  • Soap: Grooming Department - Otium
  • Brush: Oumo 26mm SHD Manchuria fan
My other SHD badger. Actually feels as though it did feel a bit more dense than the SHD Hook fan (probably just in my head, though). Tips don't feel as gelly as the Hook knot, but didn't feel any less softer. No scritch as well, which is how I like badgers now (probably means buh bye for my Yaqi 24mm High Mountain Badger - but we'll see). If it wasn't for the TH, I might be tempted to just use badgers all the time. I did discover one thing though. The SHD badgers take a while longer to dry fully than a regular badger knot (when compared to my Yaqi badgers). My Hook badger I shaved with yesterday still feels damp near the base of the hairs. Good thing I've got plenty of brushes to rotate now.

GD's infamous Nai base with its ludicrous 30+ ingredients. Some liken it to high end makeup. I do get that vibe when I smell it off the puck. Lathers up like softened cream cheese/heavy cream. I think I could have added more water, but once I got a sheen, I usually start shaving at that point. Feels very lotion-y in texture. Only adequate slickness but with good cushion. Scent strength is low which is advantageous because it's not too pleasant, tbh. Comes off like a mix of supermarket makeup foundation, baby shampoo, aniseed and something astringent, like floor cleaner? Also there's a cloying kind of sweetness to it. The plus for all the speciality ingredients is supposed to be post shave skin nourishment. I find the post shave good and not drying, but not much better than any 10 other artisan bases. And I always use a balm anyway, so post-shave is pretty redundant.

First go with the Wizamet. Part of me was hoping it was going to suck (because with blades, everyone is different) so that I wouldn't have to consider buying these in the future. This tuck cost me USD$9. Ouch! But there's a reason why a lot of members here like them so much. Smoother than Astra SP or Dorco. And, not surprisingly, got better as the shave went on, probably as the blade edge got worn in. Not sure if it's so much better than the Gillette 7oC yellow (my current fav) to justify the additional expense of acquiring it. Will have to give it a few more shaves to find out.
So ... not so keen on the soap?

So ... not so keen on the soap?

Tbh, I don't know. It's been a couple of hours after my shave now and my skin feels pretty good, actually. Mo describes Nai as having an emphasis on high grade cosmetic ingredients with skin replenishing, hydration and antioxidant supplementation as the goal. Not sure if he set out to make a soap or a high end moisturizer. Probably would have been better to just make a balm with these ingredients (but I think he has that already). You know what it reminds me of? Dove moisturizing soap. It's not really a soap or a moisturizer, but it's a bit of both. Performance wise, it's not that great. Certainly not as good as his lamb tallow base (I have GD Angel as well, which I like better). Post shave, I don't know. I'm actually curious to see how it will improve my skin if I shaved with this soap every day for a month. I think I'll try that experiment a little later this year.

Tbh, I don't know. It's been a couple of hours after my shave now and my skin feels pretty good, actually. Mo describes Nai as having an emphasis on high grade cosmetic ingredients with skin replenishing, hydration and antioxidant supplementation as the goal. Not sure if he set out to make a soap or a high end moisturizer. Probably would have been better to just make a balm with these ingredients (but I think he has that already). You know what it reminds me of? Dove moisturizing soap. It's not really a soap or a moisturizer, but it's a bit of both. Performance wise, it's not that great. Certainly not as good as his lamb tallow base (I have GD Angel as well, which I like better). Post shave, I don't know. I'm actually curious to see how it will improve my skin if I shaved with this soap every day for a month. I think I'll try that experiment a little later this year.

I have last years version of the Nai base Aion, and found it really good. Apparently this year's version the scent with mint and herbs is more subdued, and there was a change in 4 ingredients, how that effects performance who knows. Agree I didn't find any better or worse than the other current top vegan soaps out there that have great post shave qualities.

IMG-20210104-175510.jpg

Brush: Alpha Shaving Brushes BetaHive Cu 28mm SHD Fan Badger
Razor: Rocca V4 R96 "pimped"
Blade: Wizamet SI (1)
Pre: Shower
Soap: PAA CaD
Post: Milkman Grooming Co. A/S Serum Sumer Waves // Nivea 2 Phase A/S Lotion
WTG, XTG, ATG = BBS

A refreshingly good shave!
Stay Safe & Happy Shaves!

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson Shaving Brush
Soap/Cream: SV 70th Anniversary soap
Razor: Muhle R95 Rocca 'Birch Bark'
Blade: Polsilver 'Brown' (5)
Post-shave: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Acqua di Sydney splash
Fragrance: Giorgio Armani Acqua di Gio EDC

A great summer shave - pity it is not very summery!

ZNNE4Y1l.jpg

What is in the water up there in the NT? First @Errol and now you?

Oh well, as long as you post it for a bargain price and I'm the first to snap it up I will be happy :)

s11.png

Pre-shave: Hot water
Brush: Yaqi Rainbow Pony
Soap/Cream: Noble Otter Hamami
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild (PINK)
Post-shave: Shower, TND, Nivea Balm, Neutrogena Hydro Boost SPF 50

This is my first go with this blade, and many thanks to @Pbgoose for providing the opportunity to try it. Today's shave was sublime, an easy DSBBS. I think I've now covered most of the options for AC blades, ignoring those with trainer wheels. (Kai's website mentions an original Captain and a Captain Sharpblade, but they don't seem to make much attempt to market those.) Before I embarked on my journey with the Vector, I was mildly concerned at how "few" options there are for blades, but I have not found a single dud yet, even the cheap Chinese ones. All different, but all great. Count that against the number of DE blades I really like, and that looks pretty good. But the PINK is a stand-out, and next year I think I'll be looking to get in a serious quantity.

Is it my dodgy eyesight, or a trick of the light...or is your Birch handle shorter than the normal?
Unfortunately I do not have another one to compare to. If anyone cares to affirm the following dimensions, that might help resolve whether it is @Blackie 's dodgy eyesight, or if I got a dud.

length of bark on handle: 61mm

EFKE3Sa.jpg

Pre: water
Brush: Oumo 26mm Motherlode
Soap: Murphy & McNeil - Nantahala
Razor: Rockwell 6S (R6)
Blade: Gillette 7o'C yellow (5?)
Post-shave: Nivea Sensitive

I'm quite surprised dropping the loft only 2mm made a substantial difference to backbone on this brush. It's still probably a little less firm than my Yaqi 26mm Timberwolf, but it's not mean to have the backbone of a badger. Much better than when the loft was set at 55mm, no where near as 'floppy'. The increase in backbone did increase the springyness of the fibre a little too. I noticed it flicking more soap off as I face lathered than before. I actually did a side by side comparison with my Timberwolf and found the tips of the Motherlode to be even softer (didn't think that was possible). It's like lathering your face with a plush toy. But the fibres draw water like nobody's business. Even with most of the water squeezed out before loading, it plumed lather like, well, a 'motherlode' of lather. I hardly had to add any more water as I face lathered to get the necessary hydration. These fibres are nothing like a Tuxedo, Timberwolf, Plisson etc... This is a true 3rd generation fibre (along with the Synbad, Mew brown, Alpine, Silksmoke and a couple of others - not sure where Cashmere falls, I think it's G2). I still prefer my TH (G4) for the increased backbone though.

M&M really oversold this soap, tbh. Like a refreshing walk through the rainforest national park? No. Is it a good example of a fougere. Yes, but nothing special or exciting. I kind of liken it to Seaforth Heather without the powder/talc. Scent strength is low and the performance of the Aon base is average. I'd put it somewhere between Spearhead's 20.1 and Stirling. Their Kodiak base is much better. I know the expense and difficulty of obtaining bear tallow stops them from using Kodiak as their main base, but it's significantly better than Aon. This isn't like splitting hairs between B&M Excelsior base vs Softheart. Like you're not missing out on Softheard if you already have some soap in Excelsior. But if Aon was M&M's only base and I didn't know about Kodiak, I'd definitely be missing out.

I've been rotating my razors, so I actually don't know exactly how many times I've shaved with the 7o'C yellows, but on my final pass, it started to feel a little scrapey on the face. Time to change it over, I think. 5 or so shaves. Kind of puts it in the range of Astra SP in terms of longevity, but it is smoother and more enjoyable to shave with though. Maybe worth the additional expense to purchase.

EFKE3Sa.jpg

Pre: water
Brush: Oumo 26mm Motherlode
Soap: Murphy & McNeil - Nantahala
Razor: Rockwell 6S (R6)
Blade: Gillette 7o'C yellow (5?)
Post-shave: Nivea Sensitive

I'm quite surprised dropping the loft only 2mm made a substantial difference to backbone on this brush. It's still probably a little less firm than my Yaqi 26mm Timberwolf, but it's not mean to have the backbone of a badger. Much better than when the loft was set at 55mm, no where near as 'floppy'. The increase in backbone did increase the springyness of the fibre a little too. I noticed it flicking more soap off as I face lathered than before. I actually did a side by side comparison with my Timberwolf and found the tips of the Motherlode to be even softer (didn't think that was possible). It's like lathering your face with a plush toy. But the fibres draw water like nobody's business. Even with most of the water squeezed out before loading, it plumed lather like, well, a 'motherlode' of lather. I hardly had to add any more water as I face lathered to get the necessary hydration. These fibres are nothing like a Tuxedo, Timberwolf, Plisson etc... This is a true 3rd generation fibre (along with the Synbad, Mew brown, Alpine, Silksmoke and a couple of others - not sure where Cashmere falls, I think it's G2). I still prefer my TH (G4) for the increased backbone though.

M&M really oversold this soap, tbh. Like a refreshing walk through the rainforest national park? No. Is it a good example of a fougere. Yes, but nothing special or exciting. I kind of liken it to Seaforth Heather without the powder/talc. Scent strength is low and the performance of the Aon base is average. I'd put it somewhere between Spearhead's 20.1 and Stirling. Their Kodiak base is much better. I know the expense and difficulty of obtaining bear tallow stops them from using Kodiak as their main base, but it's significantly better than Aon. This isn't like splitting hairs between B&M Excelsior base vs Softheart. Like you're not missing out on Softheard if you already have some soap in Excelsior. But if Aon was M&M's only base and I didn't know about Kodiak, I'd definitely be missing out.

I've been rotating my razors, so I actually don't know exactly how many times I've shaved with the 7o'C yellows, but on my final pass, it started to feel a little scrapey on the face. Time to change it over, I think. 5 or so shaves. Kind of puts it in the range of Astra SP in terms of longevity, but it is smoother and more enjoyable to shave with though. Maybe worth the additional expense to purchase.

Nice review.
Something I have noted with the Aon and Kodiak base is ensuring the lather is well hydrated to ensure a really nice lather. Makes a noticeable difference to the lather especially if you have really loaded the brush up.

Status
Not open for further replies.