Not open for further replies.
EFKE3Sa.jpg

Pre: water
Brush: Oumo 26mm Motherlode
Soap: Murphy & McNeil - Nantahala
Razor: Rockwell 6S (R6)
Blade: Gillette 7o'C yellow (5?)
Post-shave: Nivea Sensitive

I'm quite surprised dropping the loft only 2mm made a substantial difference to backbone on this brush. It's still probably a little less firm than my Yaqi 26mm Timberwolf, but it's not mean to have the backbone of a badger. Much better than when the loft was set at 55mm, no where near as 'floppy'. The increase in backbone did increase the springyness of the fibre a little too. I noticed it flicking more soap off as I face lathered than before. I actually did a side by side comparison with my Timberwolf and found the tips of the Motherlode to be even softer (didn't think that was possible). It's like lathering your face with a plush toy. But the fibres draw water like nobody's business. Even with most of the water squeezed out before loading, it plumed lather like, well, a 'motherlode' of lather. I hardly had to add any more water as I face lathered to get the necessary hydration. These fibres are nothing like a Tuxedo, Timberwolf, Plisson etc... This is a true 3rd generation fibre (along with the Synbad, Mew brown, Alpine, Silksmoke and a couple of others - not sure where Cashmere falls, I think it's G2). I still prefer my TH (G4) for the increased backbone though.

M&M really oversold this soap, tbh. Like a refreshing walk through the rainforest national park? No. Is it a good example of a fougere. Yes, but nothing special or exciting. I kind of liken it to Seaforth Heather without the powder/talc. Scent strength is low and the performance of the Aon base is average. I'd put it somewhere between Spearhead's 20.1 and Stirling. Their Kodiak base is much better. I know the expense and difficulty of obtaining bear tallow stops them from using Kodiak as their main base, but it's significantly better than Aon. This isn't like splitting hairs between B&M Excelsior base vs Softheart. Like you're not missing out on Softheard if you already have some soap in Excelsior. But if Aon was M&M's only base and I didn't know about Kodiak, I'd definitely be missing out.

I've been rotating my razors, so I actually don't know exactly how many times I've shaved with the 7o'C yellows, but on my final pass, it started to feel a little scrapey on the face. Time to change it over, I think. 5 or so shaves. Kind of puts it in the range of Astra SP in terms of longevity, but it is smoother and more enjoyable to shave with though. Maybe worth the additional expense to purchase.
Excellent soap review @Bicep123. You saved me some money. (y)

Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Taj Resin 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Noble Otter ~ Firefighter
Razor/Blade:- Merkur 34C / Gillette Nacets #3
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)

Harry Bosch Novel
9781538731765_p0_v2_s550x406.jpg

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- Frank Shaving - 24mm Manchurian Finest Badger
Soap:- M&M - Triskele
Razors: Apollo Light - Mild Plate
Blade:- Wizamet (4)
Aftershave:- M&M - Triskele

dU2kYwO.jpg

rotating the Wizamet through a few razors this week.

ukXaOUN.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Semogue Owners Club LE 2012 Mixed Badger/Boar
Cream Musgo Real Oak Moss
Razor:Merkur Mergress (2.5)
Blade: Vintage NOS Gillette Spoiler (8)
Scent: Musgo Real Oak Moss EdC

Wow - what a shave! Three passes for an effortless BBS result.
Is Musgo Real Oak Moss the most masculine scent in wet shaving? Well, in my humble opinion, it is most certainly in the conversation.

IMG-20210105-210239.jpg

Brush: TF Customs Clear/Black/Yellow 26mm 2 Band Finest
Razor: Smart Helix Apollo H 0.50mm Mild Plate
Blade: Wizamet SI (2)
Pre: Shower
Soap: PAA CaD
Post: Alum block // Nivea 2 Phase A/S Lotion + Sensitive Post Shave Balm
WTG, XTG, ATG = DFS+

Always a joy using this razor and the milder plate shaves doesn't disappoint. Only let down was chasing BBS by adding an extra pass which resulted in a nick and mild redness but super smooth & close! Almost through this soap and some of the best vegan base so looking forward to trying the latest version at at later date...
Stay Safe & Happy Shaves!

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Culmak Shaving Brush
Soap/Cream: Noble Otter Two Kings soap
Razor: Muhle R95 Rocca 'Birch Bark'
Blade: Polsilver 'Brown' (6)
Post-shave: Noble Otter Two Kings splash
Fragrance: Penhaligon's Halfeti EDP

Inspired by @TomG I broke out the NO and Halfeti - very nice!

7m8gls8l.jpg

Pre-shave: Warm Water
Brush: WCS - honeycomb 26mm tuxedo
Soap/Cream: Grooming Department - Aion
Razor: Muhle - Rocca R94
Blade: Personna - Viking Sword (3)
Post-shave: Fine - Fresh Vetiver AS / Proraso Cypress & Vetiver AS balm

2 Pass WTG = DFS. Blade is stil smooth and efficient = keep on shaving.

The Soap - Grooming Department Aion. Soap scent strength medium off the puck. No official scent profile, these are the scents I pick up, cedarwood, sandlewood, amber, patchouli, ambergris vetiver, oakmoss, spice, black pepper. I really like this soap before and still really like this soap. This is a spicy woody musky scent The patchouli, ambergris, are very light, and blended well to help sweeten the scent up. The dry down of the scent is fairly vetiver forward The scent is definately masculine and classy best suited for cold weather or evenings.

I also like that this soap is a vegan base that you would swear it was tallow. The 30+ ingredients must have something to do with it. Reminds me of the PAA CK6 base, easy to lather, super slick, great residual and post shave feel.

@Bicep123 sparked my interest again in this soap after his review of the new Otium in the nai base, I hope to have sample arrive soon so I can sample it against this soap. I can also understand @Bicep123 review of Otium that if the scent was not that nice and for US $32 a tub + shipping I too would also be disappointed.

if the scent was not that nice and for US $32 a tub + shipping I too would also be disappointed.

Scent is so subjective though. What I may not like, others fall over for and vice versa. My palate is not great for scents, tbh. I'm not really into frags and don't generally use a EDT/EDP post shave. The base is closer to PAA CK-6 than Southern Witchcrafts in performance for me too.

s5.png

Pre-shave: Hot water
Brush: Forgotten Art "Tarkine" 26mm Tuxedo
Soap/Cream: Noble Otter Rawr
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild (PINK) (2)
Post-shave: Shower, TND, Nivea Balm, Neutrogena Hydro Boost SPF 50

Day 2 with any blade (face & dome) might be equivalent to day 4 for a "normal" shaver, so I didn't really expect the same immaculate DSBBS as yesterday, but I got it anyway.

s5.png

Pre-shave: Hot water
Brush: Forgotten Art "Tarkine" 26mm Tuxedo
Soap/Cream: Noble Otter Rawr
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild (PINK) (2)
Post-shave: Shower, TND, Nivea Balm, Neutrogena Hydro Boost SPF 50

Day 2 with any blade (face & dome) might be equivalent to day 4 for a "normal" shaver, so I didn't really expect the same immaculate DSBBS as yesterday, but I got it anyway.

So you and @Pbgoose who seem to be regularly shaving in the middle of the scrub - what do you use for a mirror and where do you get your hot water from?

q6OLbvpl.jpg

Soap: Pb 40 Thieves
Brush: Epsilon Horse
Razor: Ambassador (3,4)
Blade: Polsilver Brown (2)
Checked post #1 and it didn't say anything about verifying mirror or water source. So it looks like I slashed and burned the foliage today for nothing.:)

Last edited:
So you and @Pbgoose who seem to be regularly shaving in the middle of the scrub - what do you use for a mirror and where do you get your hot water from?
For many years after I left home (sometime in the early fourteenth century) I never had a mirror, so I got into the habit of shaving by touch, and I still mostly do that. As for water, I've got a wok burner on the BBQ that heats up a big pot of water in no time. Otherwise, I use the bathroom just like everyone else :D

Status
Not open for further replies.