Shave of the Day Thread - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Taj Resin 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Cella Red
Razor/Blade:- Merkur 34C / Gillette Nacets #4
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- Hugo Boss (Original)

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- BSB 24mm
Soap:- M&M - Triskele
Razors: Timeless 0.68 SB - Scalloped Head
Blade:- Wizamet (5)
Aftershave:- M&M - Triskele

bvKmXJ3.jpg

s5.png

Pre-shave: Hot water
Brush: Forgotten Art "Tarkine" 26mm Tuxedo
Soap/Cream: Noble Otter Rawr
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild (PINK) (3)
Post-shave: Shower, TND, Nivea Balm, Neutrogena Hydro Boost SPF 50

Same pic as yesterday, because same setup, and I'm lazy. Another great shave from the Kai blade. My yardstick is whether or not a blade can shave my wire whiskers on a Fool's Pass without causing distress, and this one still can. By comparison, the two Feathers are a bit rough at this stage, and the Proline marginal. The Chinese no-names go in the bin after 2 shaves.

IMG-20210107-164040.jpg

Brush: Yaqi 30mm Tuxedo
Razor: Karve Brass SB (D plate) + WCS Brass handle
Blade: Wizamet SI (3)
Pre: Shower
Soap: PAA CaD
Post: Milkman Grooming Co. A/S Serum Spring Rides // Stirling Soap Co. Unscented Balm
WTG, ATG, Touchups = BBS

I often thought about moving the Karve on but shaves like today remind me how nice a shave the D plate provides. This head was one of the first so blade hangover which can cause problems XTG but a very smooth & close shave with decent blade feel. A few more shaves and I can move onto another soap as this tub will be finished. Enjoying the serum and the scent is quite nice.
Stay Safe & Happy Shaves!

Pre-shave: Warm Water
Brush: TF Customs - 24mm 2 band finest.
Soap/Cream: Declaration Grooming - Cygnus X-1
Razor: Muhle - Rocca R94
Blade: Personna - Viking Sword (4)
Post-shave: Declaration Grooming - Cygnus X-1 AS splash / Proraso - wood & spice beard balm.

2 Pass WTG = DFS+ Blade is loosing its smoothness, still efficient. I think 1 more shave to go, could be wrong. So far, a good blade to use in the Rocca as it has delivered 4 decent shaves.

The Soap, Declaration Grooming - Cygnus X-1. Soap and splash scent strength medium for both. No official scent notes released, due to my extensive soap library and my nose becoming more attuned to the different scent notes I knew immediately what this scent is. This is a dupe of Bleeker Street by Bond No9. It is also the same scent used by First Line Shave - Delmar Blvd.

Top notes are Violet Leaf, Blueberry, Cassis and Thyme; middle notes are Cedar, Jasmine and Cinnamon; base notes are Oakmoss, Suede, Patchouli, Amber, Vanilla and Caramel. As you see by the scent notes this is a woody oriental. This is one of my favourite scents so I am a little biased here to say I like it. This is a classy masculine scent great for in the evenings for all seasons. (y)

Last edited:
Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Cherry Wood 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Whispers from the Woods (Australian made) ~ All Things Nice "Spiced Sandalwood & Honey"
Razor/Blade:- RazoRock Mission / Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow #3
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)

Brush:- Shavemac Americana
Razors: Wunderbar
Blade:- Wizamet (6)

GPQgsaW.jpg

I was going to list razors in order of performance with Wizamet and then realized how subjective this is and decided to spare you all my personal preferences

Happy Shaving

IMG-20210107-223313.jpg

Brush: TF Customs Green Swirls & Transparent 27mm Rhodium Silvertip
Razor: Maggard V3A + MR11 handle
Blade: Wizamet SI (4)
Pre: Shower
Soap: PAA CaD
Post: RR New York A/S Splash // The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 30 ml
WTG, ATG, Touchups = DFS+

A super comfortable shave with a neglected razor but enjoyable all the same. Finally finished the soap and whilst happy a small part of me is sad as this tub was one of my first artisan soaps and I look forward to trying the CK6 formula at a later date. Finished off with some refreshing splash + Hyaluronic Acid...
I squeezed in a head shave last night - too lazy to take a pick but basically same setup with Headblade Moto as the razor.
Stay Safe, Happy Shaves & Bring On The Weekend!!!

Last edited:
ZO42qyz.jpg

Pre: water
Razor: Muhle Rocca R96
Blade: Wizamet SI
Brush: Yaqi Moka 26mm 2-band badger
Soap: Chiseled Face - Santa Paula

@klinker - Was surprised anyone else had this. With CF, it's usually Midnight Stag, Sherlock or Cryogen that gets all the buzz. It's more citrus peel than actual citrus, but then it's a nice change from other more citrus forward scents and makes it kind of unique, although I'm not totally in love with the scent. Will need to do a few more shaves with it. The pour kind of reminds me of bread.

The first 'proper' badger I ever bought and it's a big boy for 26mm. Some soaps you have to load for a full minute to get enough lather for a proper 3 pass session. It's very soap thirsty.

s8.png

Pre-shave: Hot water
Brush: Forgotten Art "Southern Skies" 30mm Snow Leopard
Soap/Cream: Castle Forbes Lavender
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild (PINK) (4)
Post-shave: Shower, TND, Nivea Balm, Neutrogena Hydro Boost SPF 50

This blade has done well to get to this stage. Still an enjoyable shave (the sumptuous brush and cream help), but not getting as close as before, so probably time for a change tomorrow. Many thanks again to @Pbgoose for sending these blades my way, much appreciated. :)

I would describe the razor itself as quite mild but efficient. It hasn't bitten me once, even when I've deserved it. But all of the Artist Club blades I've tried give a distinct amount of blade feel, pleasantly so, with the crown of course going to the Feather Pro Super. But come January 2022, I'm going to go shopping and get in at least a thousand of these Kai blades, they're a real pleasure to use.

Brush:- Semogue Owners Club Limited Edition Badger
Razor:- Merkur Progress #3
Blade:- Wizamet (7)

X8qCyiq.jpg

This kit is way too neglected for the quality shave it delivers.

Pre-shave: Warm Water
Brush: Yaqi - Moka 24mm synthetic
Soap/Cream: Phoenix & Beau - Empress Rising.
Razor: Muhle - Rocca R94
Blade: Personna - Viking Sword (5)
Post-shave: Thayers Witchhazel - Original / Phoenix & Beau - Empress Rising PS lotion

2 Pass WTG + touchups = DFS+ Blade has regained smoothness, and still efficient. No problems with the Viking Sword blade and the Rocca. 5 good daily shaves. This blade is sharp, the coating on the blade keeps it fairly smooth. Time to give the Rocca a rest and bring something else out.

The soap, Phoenix & Beau - Empress Rising. (No relation to Monolords song :p) scent strength light to medium off the puck and balm. Scent notes Cedarwood, frankincense, oakmoss and rose.

This is a real unique scent, very different to the other soaps I have. As soon as you open the puck you are greeted with a very unique earthy smell. I could only pick the rose out from the scent notes. Best way I could describe the scent, is it is like smelling wet leaves in Autumn with a faint spicey, woody, sweetness to it. This is not a scent I like or dislike. Definately not something I would wear on a regular basis, however it is far from being pungent. I think after a few shaves I would learn to appreciate the scent better, as the soap is really nice to shave with.

Status
Not open for further replies.