Not open for further replies.
Pre: Shower
Razor: WR2 1.25
Blade: Gillette Yellow SE
Brush: Yaki 26mm Pony
Soap: Kaizen

ydays bday shave :)

50990759391_52e3b283a3_b.jpg
Wishing you a belated happy birthday! (y)

sfQ3LPe.jpg

• Razor: Muhle Rocca R96
  • Blade: Ladas SS
  • Brush: Oumo 28mm TH
  • Soap: Murphy & McNeil - BDLM
Last shave of February. This month went pretty fast!

Kodiak base is an excellent performer, but I really wonder how much the bear tallow actually adds to that.

Kodiak base bear tallow adds additional fats which require more water to achieve an optimal lather.
From my experience, The Aon formula uses less water to lather and has a sour cream consistancy. The kodiak base uses more water to achieve a more whipped creme lather. In the real world, the kodiak base residual slickness and post shave have increased fractionally over the Aon base. Basically if you dial in your water to soap ratio correctly there is next to no difference in the soaps and both perform great. For beginners to soap lathering Aon base is much easier to dial in.

To add confusion to the Kodiak base. I have identified 2 different bases to that formula. One is a cold pour soap base which the original kodiak base soaps have, and included in my 2x kodiak inifintus aquisitions 3rd quarter last year and the one you have with your BDLM and a recent kodiak I have, which are both hot pours. So yes you were right when you had concerns about the soap being soft and I have also confirmed it as well. Nothing wrong with the soap, its just a hot pour version is a softer soap which cures quicker. Quicker curing = more product availability sooner = potentially more sales.

Wishing you a belated happy birthday! (y)

Ditto @StratMan !

Kodiak base bear tallow adds additional fats which require more water to achieve an optimal lather.
From my experience, The Aon formula uses less water to lather and has a sour cream consistancy. The kodiak base uses more water to achieve a more whipped creme lather. In the real world, the kodiak base residual slickness and post shave have increased fractionally over the Aon base. Basically if you dial in your water to soap ratio correctly there is next to no difference in the soaps and both perform great. For beginners to soap lathering Aon base is much easier to dial in.

To add confusion to the Kodiak base. I have identified 2 different bases to that formula. One is a cold pour soap base which the original kodiak base soaps have, and included in my 2x kodiak inifintus aquisitions 3rd quarter last year and the one you have with your BDLM and a recent kodiak I have, which are both hot pours. So yes you were right when you had concerns about the soap being soft and I have also confirmed it as well. Nothing wrong with the soap, its just a hot pour version is a softer soap which cures quicker. Quicker curing = more product availability sooner = potentially more sales.

TL;DR - soaps are not all the same?

TL;DR - soaps are not all the same?

Kodiak base soaps, I have two different soap consistancy types. A hard smooth soap, and a softer hot poured soap. Both are sold as Kodiak bases. Both once lathered ended up with the same type of lather and feel. Next time I am around the soaps, I will post a picture of the tubs to show you what I mean.

Kodiak base soaps, I have two different soap consistancy types. A hard smooth soap, and a softer hot poured soap. Both are sold as Kodiak bases. Both once lathered ended up with the same type of lather and feel. Next time I am around the soaps, I will post a picture of the tubs to show you what I mean.
I gather you must need a compass and sextant to navigate around your soap collection by now... ;)

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: WCS - Honeycomb 26mm tuxedo
Soap/Cream: Murphy & McNeal - Gael Laoch
Razor: Homelike Shaving - Colibri
Blade: Astra Superior Stainless (6)
Post-shave: -M&M - Gael Laoch AS splash menthol / A&E - Post Shave Serum

2 pass WTG = DFS daily shave.

The soap, Murphy & McNeal Gael Laoch. Scent strength medium to strong off the puck and lathered, medium for the splash. Scent notes here.
The scent strength on this one is what a I consider perfect for a shave soap. It's prominent, defined, and not cloying. I wish all the M&M soaps had soap scent characteristics like this.

This soaps scent is a dupe of Creed - Viking. This is one the best reproduction of Creeds scents in a soap. The soap smells even better than the splash which has a light dash of menthol added. A classy spicey, woody cologne scent, to be worn anytime of the year for those special occasions, what more is there not to like. (y)

gok8Iwt.jpg

• Razor: Brass Karve SB-E
  • Blade: Astra SP
  • Brush: Oumo 26mm Manchuria Fan
  • Soap: House of Mammoth - Mood Indigo

New month new razor! Wish I could say that every month, but this will very likely be my last razor purchase this year. But if it's to be my last, it's certainly a good razor to ride out the rest of year with. Having finally gotten to try Karve's legendary smoothness first-hand, I did not expect a razor with a 0.98mm blade gap to lack so much blade feel. Almost felt like my Merkur 34C in smoothness, but the efficiency just a hair under the Muhle Rocca. Although, I expect that to improve as I get more familiar with the razor. One minus, it is narrow and those blade tabs stick out like Dumbo's ears. Really have to handle with care when picking it up by the sides of the head.

First try of Mammoth Soaps Tusk base. It is a softer base (the heat at the moment in Sydney didn't help) and I probably overloaded my brush with my usual 30 second load. The soap itself is c-r-e-a-m-y! Lather's up almost like melted ice cream. Good cushion and slickness, just a touch out of my top 6, but it really shines in the post shave. Super supple and moisturising. Scent is sort of like an aquatic with pepper and blueberry and a hum of boozy rum in the background. There's a sense of crispness too, which cuts the warmth a little, giving it good balance. A fascinating soap! Almost want to shave with Noble Otter Firefighter to compare it.

Edit: Found out the E plate is 1.10mm! Wow, it's even bigger than I thought! (D plate is .98)

Last edited:
Kodiak base is an excellent performer, but I really wonder how much the bear tallow actually adds to that.

... They could use human baby tallow to the same effect. :eek:

First try of Mammoth Soaps Tusk base. ...

HUH?

First it was bears, then babies and now somehow mammoth tusks?

What, they are using scrapings of fossils in the shaving soap?

Almost enough to make me want to use ARKO!

gok8Iwt.jpg

• Razor: Brass Karve SB-E
  • Blade: Astra SP
  • Brush: Oumo 26mm Manchuria Fan
  • Soap: House of Mammoth - Mood Indigo

New month new razor! Wish I could say that every month, but this will very likely be my last razor purchase this year. But if it's to be my last, it's certainly a good razor to ride out the rest of year with. Having finally gotten to try Karve's legendary smoothness first-hand, I did not expect a razor with a 0.98mm blade gap to lack so much blade feel. Almost felt like my Merkur 34C in smoothness, but the efficiency just a hair under the Muhle Rocca. Although, I expect that to improve as I get more familiar with the razor. One minus, it is narrow and those blade tabs stick out like Dumbo's ears. Really have to handle with care when picking it up by the sides of the head.

First try of Mammoth Soaps Tusk base. It is a softer base (the heat at the moment in Sydney didn't help) and I probably overloaded my brush with my usual 30 second load. The soap itself is c-r-e-a-m-y! Lather's up almost like melted ice cream. Good cushion and slickness, just a touch out of my top 6, but it really shines in the post shave. Super supple and moisturising. Scent is sort of like an aquatic with pepper and blueberry and a hum of boozy rum in the background. There's a sense of crispness too, which cuts the warmth a little, giving it good balance. A fascinating soap! Almost want to shave with Noble Otter Firefighter to compare it.

Edit: Found out the E plate is 1.10mm! Wow, it's even bigger than I thought! (D plate is .98)
A great write up and agree 100% blade tabs as I always have anxiety when using my Brass D plate as its prone to nick me XTG and under my nose :(

HUH?

First it was bears, then babies and now somehow mammoth tusks?

What, they are using scrapings of fossils in the shaving soap?

Almost enough to make me want to use ARKO!
I struggle to see what difference certain milks/tallows add to the performance!? Koala/Kangaroo tallow or strictly vegan???
I wanna know what @Pbgoose is putting in his soap base to make it so slick and creamy as shown in post #1,121? :unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.