Mw3NCNz.jpeg

SOTN 04.08.22
/ B&M Nordost
/ Yaqi Mandarin G4
/ Blackland Blackbird
/ BIC Chrome Platinum (1)
/ The Ordinary Mandelic Acid 10% + HA
/ Nivea Skin & Stubble

An excellent orange themed shave. @StratMan I can confirm the BIC performed extremely well. I reckon the blade feel is tempered by the very high clamping force this head design has. More experienced shavers please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
8uvGDi1.jpg

Prep: Hot Shower / Bloom Water
Soap: Osma
Brush: RazorRock 400 Noir Plissoft
Razor: Gold Dollar W59
Out of curiosity I purchased this razor a couple of years ago for around $25 new so my expectations were limited. I re-honed it immediately and it now gives superb "bang for buck" performance. A fun and comfortable Monday Morning shave.​

tXVn6ob.jpg

2021 - Wolfman stainless steel WR1 OC with WR2 Handle and WRA1 Stand
2020 - DC Blades P&C TKM 24mm Silver Tip Badger bulb knot
2019 - Limited Edition Paste & Cut Shaving Bowl (Grey)
2018 - One of a kind Squadron Soap Splash & Soap
bh8Gjzy.png

looks like I need at least one more P&C Charity Brush and some DE blades to complete the set

Last edited:
Razor:​
Gold Dollar W59
...Out of curiosity I purchased this razor a couple of years ago for around $25 new so my expectations were limited. I re-honed it immediately and it now gives superb "bang for buck" performance. A fun and comfortable Monday Morning shave.​
Those Gold Dollar razors have been mentioned favourably by @rbscebu, and I used one a few times back in the days when I only shaved my face. A really good value intro to straight shaving. I love that Spanish point, it looks a lot scarier than it is. Is it an optical illusion, or have you left a significant smile on yours?

Mw3NCNz.jpeg

SOTN 04.08.22
/ B&M Nordost
/ Yaqi Mandarin G4
/ Blackland Blackbird
/ BIC Chrome Platinum (1)
/ The Ordinary Mandelic Acid 10% + HA
/ Nivea Skin & Stubble

An excellent orange themed shave. @StratMan I can confirm the BIC performed extremely well. I reckon the blade feel is tempered by the very high clamping force this head design has. More experienced shavers please correct me if I'm wrong.

Good to hear your thoughts @neongas I have a few on the way :)

Those Gold Dollar razors have been mentioned favourably by @rbscebu, and I used one a few times back in the days when I only shaved my face. A really good value intro to straight shaving. I love that Spanish point, it looks a lot scarier than it is. Is it an optical illusion, or have you left a significant smile on yours?

Totally agree.

I bought one to help learn how to hone instead of practicing on a $400 SR. I own 4 or 5 now I think. Dave at the Wet Shave Co. also gave me a few freebies over the years. I highly recommend them as a starter.

8uvGDi1.jpg

Prep: Hot Shower / Bloom Water
Soap: Osma
Brush: RazorRock 400 Noir Plissoft
Razor: Gold Dollar W59
Out of curiosity I purchased this razor a couple of years ago for around $25 new so my expectations were limited. I re-honed it immediately and it now gives superb "bang for buck" performance. A fun and comfortable Monday Morning shave.​
The W59 is my most favoured SR. I keep the toe sharp and pointy, enjoying the concentration required to shave with it.

full

full

Over the last few years I have purchased about a dozen of the W59s, including some for a matching seven-day set that I put together. That M7DS was sold to a Filipino-Chinese gentleman before I left Cebu. That and a few others that I have given away have reduced my W59 holdings to now only two.

full

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson Shaving Brush
Soap/Cream: APR Fougere Bourbon Rose shaving soap
Razor: Muhle Rocca
Blade: Polsilver 'Brown' (3)
Post-shave: APR Fougere Bourbon Rose splash
Fragrance: N/A

5bUVUP0l.jpg

Rarely used blade and brush; Puma 1⅝ off diamond pasted balsa and Mϋhle Classic medium badger brush (razor & brush Germany). Face lather was by Palmolive cream regular (Italy). An exceptionally close, comfortable and smooth shave giving a -BBS result.

full

I was thinking of PIFing this SR as it is probably my ugliest looking SR. This morning's shave reminded me that looks don't shave. This Puma 1⅝ is now going to stay with me for a loooong time.

IMG-20220906-082007.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Pears soap
Brush: Troycraft "Opalesque" 28mm AP G5C
Soap: Seaforth! Heather - Thanks @Wilkshire13 (y)
Razor: Blackland Sabre
Blade: Personna GEM
Post-shave: Shower, Thayer's witch hazel w/- cucumber, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+, Oxford & Cambridge cologne
COTD: Hamasil Village, Yemen

This soap is nice. If I didn't know better, I would guess that it has a little menthol in it, the scent is quite invigorating, and it feels cool on the skin. Here's what the manufacturer says: "The scent for Seaforth! Heather was developed by Shawn Maher of Chatillon Lux and Maher Olfactive. Heather is a classic fougère structure, but instead of a dated, oakmoss-heavy fougère, it leans to the light and soapy side. It has a crisp green note of clary sage in place of the weighty, damp green oakmoss, fortified with a big dose of French and Bulgarian lavender and sunny bergamot citrus. Along with geranium, a classically crisp, fruity-green note, Heather is an invigorating, refreshingly classic scent without feeling dated. Scent notes include: Lavender, Bergamot, Geranium, Clary Sage, Oakmoss, and Coumarin".

Yep, the smile stayed. This particular example honed fine using rolling X strokes. For me the smile is part of the character of this inexpensive yet capable razor. I know a lot of purists steer clear of the gold dollar brand and I understand why but I think the W59 has gained enough interest to be, in its own way, somewhat iconic. So why not have one (or more)?

Yep, the smile stayed. This particular example honed fine using rolling X strokes. For me the smile is part of the character of this inexpensive yet capable razor. I know a lot of purists steer clear of the gold dollar brand and I understand why but I think the W59 has gained enough interest to be, in its own way, somewhat iconic. So why not have one (or more)?
Somewhere I should still have mine, probably in the same place as the damascus Western kamisori I made for myself in the days when I was a full-time blacksmith. When I started shaving my head (2002?) as well as my face, the straights fell into disuse, and I have moved interstate twice since then, and haven't seen them in years. :rolleyes:

Onb9AVu.jpg

2021 - Wolfman stainless steel WR1 OC with WR2 Handle and WRA1 Stand
2020 - DC Blades P&C TKM 24mm Silver Tip Badger bulb knot
2019 - Limited Edition Paste & Cut Shaving Bowl (Grey)
2018 - One of a kind Squadron Soap Splash & Soap
bh8Gjzy.png

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Culmak Shaving Brush
Soap/Cream: APR Fenchurch shaving soap
Razor: Muhle Birch Bark Rocca R95
Blade: Polsilver 'Brown' (4)
Post-shave: APR Fenchurch splash
Fragrance: APR Fenchurch EDP

Pictures may be worth a thousand words - but they cannot do justice to the scent I'm enjoying right now ...

2lKYKNkl.jpg

Qqcv975.png

RAZOR: Rocnel 2021 Sailor Series Adjustable @3
BLADE: Personna
BRUSH: RazoRock 400 Aluminum 24mm Plissoft Synthetic
LATHER: RazoRock XXX Italian Shaving Soap

Interesting looking razor - is it as small as it looks?

Status
Not open for further replies.