Shave of the Day Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
1eukQz5l.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot Towel
Brush: Hushua with 28mm Oumo synthetic knot.
Razor: 1918 Ever Ready
Blade: Astra
Soap: Chiseled Face - Sherlock
Post-shave: Chiseled Face – Sherlock Balm

I'm a big fan of Chiseled Face soaps. They aren't the best soap base out there but their scents are fantastic and very manly, and the balms are right up there with the best on the market.

Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: TF Customs Burl Hybrid.
Soap: Salt Lake Soaps - Sandalwood & Leather
Razor: Asylum Evolution
Blade: Gillette Goal #1
Post-shave: Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Stray Whisker Balm, generous application of sunscreen for a day at the beach

25th Wedding Anniversary shave, from the 12th floor of the Surf Regent at Surfers Paradise. (Yesterday)
Luckily the weather turned good enough for us whilst we were there.
A few days of beautiful panoramic views across the ocean from this building right up close to the esplanade.
Back home now.

voPesGB.jpg
I've been wanting to try Salt Lake Soaps for a while. What are your thoughts?

I've been wanting to try Salt Lake Soaps for a while. What are your thoughts?
Salt Lake Soaps are good mate. I spoke at length with Bryn, the owner and maker of this soap. They did a lot of testing R&D etc , and thanks to his wife being a Chemist, they have come to create a really good product. I have the "Attitude" and "Sandalwood & Leather". Both perform really well, and he is a local Aussie Artisan. Small batch/high quality business model.
I recommend them, for sure.

Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: TF Customs Burl Hybrid.
Soap: Salt Lake Soaps - Sandalwood & Leather
Razor: Asylum Evolution
Blade: Gillette Goal #1
Post-shave: Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Stray Whisker Balm, generous application of sunscreen for a day at the beach

25th Wedding Anniversary shave, from the 12th floor of the Surf Regent at Surfers Paradise. (Yesterday)
Luckily the weather turned good enough for us whilst we were there.
A few days of beautiful panoramic views across the ocean from this building right up close to the esplanade.
Back home now.

voPesGB.jpg
Congrats on the anniversary!

1eukQz5l.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot Towel
Brush: Hushua with 28mm Oumo synthetic knot.
Razor: 1918 Ever Ready
Blade: Astra
Soap: Chiseled Face - Sherlock
Post-shave: Chiseled Face – Sherlock Balm

I'm a big fan of Chiseled Face soaps. They aren't the best soap base out there but their scents are fantastic and very manly, and the balms are right up there with the best on the market.
I love to see the vintage Ever Readys. I think I have the same 1914? with that handle. Great efficient little razor, l should get mine out and take it for a run.

Blackland Sabre/ATT G1
Gem SS
Ever-ready 100
Saponifico Varesino Manna Di Sicilia
Squadron Ace

Comparing the Sabre to another SE. This time the ATT G1, it's closest rival when it first came out. This G1 is the second plate after the original was to mild for most. This one has been further modified by reducing the guard on honing stones but is still a mild but very smooth razor. Great looking and beats Blackland on the finnish. If ATT had made just a few more tweaks before giving up on it it could have been great

Blackland Sabre/ATT G1
Gem SS
Ever-ready 100
Saponifico Varesino Manna Di Sicilia
Squadron Ace

Comparing the Sabre to another SE. This time the ATT G1, it's closest rival when it first came out. This G1 is the second plate after the original was to mild for most. This one has been further modified by reducing the guard on honing stones but is still a mild but very smooth razor. Great looking and beats Blackland on the finnish. If ATT had made just a few more tweaks before giving up on it it could have been great
Nice looking cap on the ATT G1 (y)

The last few days...

s.png

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Pears soap
Brush: Forgotten Art "Tarkine" Ω 27mm piggy-wig
Soap: Mystic Water - Jeff's Lavender
Razor: Blackland Sabre
Blade: Personna GEM Stainless
Post-shave: Shower, Castle Forbes Lavender balm, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+
COTD: Kawah Ijen, Java

Last edited:
The ATT is an interesting looking razor, but I would always worry about dropping those dinky little parts in the sink. :unsure: As a matter of interest, have you tried using it with a shim?
Yes, the little hook for the top cap is a worry. Blades should be changed well away from the sink!

I haven't tried a shim but now you mention it perhaps I will try that out next time

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: @Tony Forsyth P&C LE Platypus shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Phoenix & Beau Spitfire shaving soap
Razor: Wolfman WR2 on Darwin style handle razor
Blade: Personna 'Lab Blue' (1)
Post-shave: Phoenix & Beau Spitfire splash
Fragrance: Phoenix & Beau Spitfire solid cologne

A truly beautiful razor, resulting in a great shave

6lice2Ml.jpg

BLACKBIRD
ASTRA
LUCKY TIGER 3 PURPOSE HAIR TONIC
TROYCRAFT - FERDINAND
JOJOBA OIL - POST SHAVE
APR - IDORU

Loved the performance of this soap, but I think that the scent may have oxidised. I had a lot of APR soaps, and to my nose, they were all great. This on the other hand, just smelt 'off'. Not massively unpleasant, but am not in a rush to use it again.

BLACKBIRD
ASTRA
LUCKY TIGER 3 PURPOSE HAIR TONIC
TROYCRAFT - FERDINAND
JOJOBA OIL - POST SHAVE
APR - IDORU

Loved the performance of this soap, but I think that the scent may have oxidised. I had a lot of APR soaps, and to my nose, they were all great. This on the other hand, just smelt 'off'. Not massively unpleasant, but am not in a rush to use it again.

The history of this one see here -

‘Idoru’

We are very proud to release Idoru after being approached to design a fragrance around the revered Japanese Cypress known as Hinoki.

This Cypress is grown only in Japan where it is considered a ‘sacred wood’. The exquisite oil from this Tree is delicate, complex and nuanced. It carries beautiful notes of sweet lemon and a clean, smoky tone rich with woods.

We took the essence of this majestic Cypress and built a suitable foundation of Myrrh and Patchouli to really let the Hinoki soar. Our design intention was to ensure that this most prized of Japanese oils was given a full accord. Nothing less than a quantity of Ambergris was necessary to complete the foundation.

For the heart we determined Rosewood with its notes of Teak, Woods and Rose was ideal alongside other necessary elements. We completed the design with prized Ylang Ylang Extra to create a synergy between the delicate lemon and citrus notes of the Hinoki.

This was originally a private commission and is released with consent, the person who requested we design this fragrance wishes it to be shared.

Status
Not open for further replies.