Status
Not open for further replies.
2.png

Pre-shave: Hot water, Pears soap
Brush: CaYuen "Watermelon", 28mm AP G5B
Soap: Vintage Yardley
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Schick Proline
Post-shave: Shower, homebrew moisturiser, Avène Sunscreen Aqua-Fluid SPF50+, Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge Cologne
COTD: Shakisso Estate, Ethiopia

This soap has become King Of The Den. It's quite incredible how a product well over 60 years old still makes a lather that even rivals my C&S/Valobra. It still smells fresh and light too. Thanks again to @Mark1966 for putting this my way (y)

This morning's shave was with my Revisor 6-0035. Face lathered with tallow Tabac and Chinese guaranteed genuine pure best badger hair synthetic brush.

With my normal passes of WTG, XTG+fool's pass and a second XTG in the opposite direction, I achieved my desired DFS+ result. What I did notice was that this Revisor is slightly better with the fool's pass than the George Butler "Shakespeare" was yesterday. I will put the George Butler through a full diamond pasted balsa strop progression today to see if I can get it up to the Revisor's standard for next shave.

full

Rocca R95
Muhle Blade
Yaqi Mew Brown 24mm
Tabac Soap / Splash

gave the Muhle blade + Rocca combo a go from @Phunk recommendation, it was certainly and excellent blade/razor combo. Two passes WTG + ATG gave me bbs with no irritation and a super smooth shave. Anyone that bought a Rocca but not yet tried the Muhle blade it came with I also highly recommend you do. I put this off due to bad comments on these blades but in this razor, amazing.. still dont think i will go out and buy them at 10 for $7 as I find the BIC and Minora are just as good and a lot cheaper.

51844202222_d0984867ab_b.jpg

Rockwell 6S Plate 2
Astra Green (5)
Col Conk Lime dregs stuck to the bottom of a wood bowl
Yaqi 30mm barber pole synth
APR Festivus splash

A very nice 3 pass shave here actually, which is still BBS at lunch. I don't know what is happening with my box of Astras but this batch are very aggressive. I first tried them in my Merkur 42c and I was drawing blood! If I had tried going this low in 6S plates with any other blade, then nothing would have happened but with these blades, it's still an efficient shave which requires some care and they are only now showing some sign of smoothing out. I'm tempted to try plate 1 on the next new blade, which is a plate I've never actually tried before and previously considered useless. Actually, I've only ever properly used plates 5 and 6 on this razor with any other blade, just to create some efficiency.

I'm used to shaving with a Feather Artist Club and Pro Super blades, so I can certainly shave with aggressive blades - I'm just not used to having to go to these lengths to get a normal shave out of a DE blade. Mystifying... having not previously tried Astras I have NFI if it's the batch or this is what happens with every blade? It's not really a problem though - when matched with the right razor, the result is great - can't complain at all...

Finally got around to using the Fine Italian Citrus sample from @58RW
While the scent was nice, if a little faint, the soap just doesn't do it for me.
Also ran a Treet 'Black Beauty' carbon steel blade from Samson/VSHOD for the first time. Felt pretty tuggy but left a smooth result. Not sure if they are the blade for me in the GC .84

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- Hoffritz 21mm Pure Badger
Soap:- Le Pere Lucien - Le Savon du Barbier
Razor:- Hoffritz Slant
Blade:- Aussie Spoiler (4)
Aftershave:- Le Pere Lucien - Lotion du Barbier

Felt Like Monday
ovRkXme.jpg

a5lUX93.jpeg

/ Blue Devil Huon Pine Tuxedo
/ St James of London Sandalwood and Bergamot
/ Robin Razor Snap with V2 baseplate
/ Gillette Nacet 2/2 (1)
/ The Ordinary Glycolic Acid Toner
/ Nivea Skin & Stubble

Revisited the V2 base plate and like my outing with the V1, I actually found it more efficient today than initially thought. Maybe my very first shave with it was not ideal with the swapping of base plates back and forth. As it stands, both base plates are eminently usable for me.

KRwznvQ.jpeg

Spent Australia day in Torquay. The little one loved it.

Last edited:
Cheapo German razor
Unknown German blade
Vintage Rexall brush with a no longer available boar knot :cry:
Proraso
Arko

The most satisfying brush I own!
Beautiful smooth close shave.

100_3288-jpg.108785

Who makes these? Sharp and smooth. 👍

100_3286-2-jpg.108784

The cap on this razor is the heaviest part, it likes to stand on it's head.

100_3290-jpg.108786

Yesterday I put my George Butler "Shakespeare" No. 3 through a full pasted balsa strop progression to see if I could get it up to the shaving standard of my Revisor 6-0035. This morning I shaved with the G Butler to see if I had succeeded.

Face lathering with tallow Tabac and a Chinese synthetic badger brush, I shaved with the G Butler. Three passes of WTG, XTG+fool's pass and a second XTG in the opposite direction gave me my expected DFS+ result with no skin damage or irritation. The fool's pass showed me that the G Butler was now matching the Revisor.

All is good in my life.

full

7.png

Pre-shave: Hot water, Pears soap
Brush: CaYuen "Watermelon", 28mm AP G5B
Soap: D.R. Harris - Windsor (y) @rhodes96
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Schick Proline
Post-shave: Shower, homebrew moisturiser, Avène Sunscreen Aqua-Fluid SPF50+, Stirling Bergamot Lavender EDT
COTD: Shakisso Estate, Ethiopia

Rockwell 6S Plate 2
Astra Green (5)
Col Conk Lime dregs stuck to the bottom of a wood bowl
Yaqi 30mm barber pole synth
APR Festivus splash

A very nice 3 pass shave here actually, which is still BBS at lunch. I don't know what is happening with my box of Astras but this batch are very aggressive. I first tried them in my Merkur 42c and I was drawing blood! If I had tried going this low in 6S plates with any other blade, then nothing would have happened but with these blades, it's still an efficient shave which requires some care and they are only now showing some sign of smoothing out. I'm tempted to try plate 1 on the next new blade, which is a plate I've never actually tried before and previously considered useless. Actually, I've only ever properly used plates 5 and 6 on this razor with any other blade, just to create some efficiency.

I'm used to shaving with a Feather Artist Club and Pro Super blades, so I can certainly shave with aggressive blades - I'm just not used to having to go to these lengths to get a normal shave out of a DE blade. Mystifying... having not previously tried Astras I have NFI if it's the batch or this is what happens with every blade? It's not really a problem though - when matched with the right razor, the result is great - can't complain at all...

Have you tried Corking the blade before the first shave with them? I find that helps smooth the aggressive Feathers and makes them more usable for me.

SOTD – Fri 28 Jan 2022

My month featuring Blue Devil Peppermint Patch continues.
The Perma-Sharp are an aggressive blade for me so I Corked it, a good smooth shave with just a couple of weepers but no other irritations.

The Gear:
+ Pre Shave: Verde Activated Charcoal Glycerine bar soap (A)
+ Brush: Billy Goat Brushworks “Valencia” with 26mm Motherlode (A)
+ Soap: Blue Devil Shave Co “Peppermint Patch” (A)
+ Bowl: Whispers from the Woods (A)
+ Razors: Yaqi Razzo Lite SE
+ Blade: Gillette Perma-Sharp (Corked) SE (1)
+ Splash: TN Dickinsons Witch Hazel with menthol
+ Balm: Lucky Tiger Vanishing Cream
+ After Shave: Blue Devil Shave Co “Peppermint Patch” (A)
+ Moisturiser: Sukin for Men Facial Moisturiser (A)

(A) = Australian Made

SOTD-20220128-setup.png

Status
Not open for further replies.