/ Phoebus Savon a Raser Melon
/ Blackland Vector
/ Feather Pro (3)
/ The Ordinary Mandelic Acid 10% + HA
/ Nivea Skin & Stubble

SOTD – SUN 20 NOV 2022

SOTD-20221120-setup.png

Shave Result:
Extro is a soft soap and 2.5gm generated a good creamy lather. Lather gave excellent slickness that built up during the shave and residual also good. To my nose the scent is a light fresh citrus floral well balanced blend, scent strength 4/10. The Merkur 34c is the third razor I’ve tried the Blue Sword Platinum and still feeling a good blade for me.

🎥Shave VIDEO🎥

THE GEAR:

+ Pre Shave: Lucky Tiger Liquid Shave Cream
+ Brush: DScosmetic“Green Jade” with 22/55 Plisoft Boar
+ Soap: Extro Cosmesi - Bergamotto di Calabria
+ Bowl: Yaqi Black ABS “Duke”
+ Razor: Merkur 34c
+ Blade: Blue Sword Platinum by Lord(3)
+ Splash: TN Dickinsons Witch Hazel with menthol
+ Balm: Natio Men Calming Balm [A]
+ After Shave: Imperial Leather AS
+ Moisturiser: Nivea Men Creme
[A] = Australian Made

7ilD88X.jpg

Prep: Country Life Tallow/Lanolin/Glycerin Soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Tony Forsyth P&C LE 2017 Platypus High Mountain White Badger
Soap: Zingari Man Rambler
Razor: Blackland Blackbird
Blade: Vintage NOS Rotbart Super Rostrfrei Chromstahl (1)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, Bootlegger's Bay Rum Aftershave Lotion
Scent: Ogallala Bay Rum Double Strength Cologne

Superb blade. Unmistakably from the Golder Era, evidenced by the materials of construction and the performance.

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson Shaving Brush
Soap/Cream: APR Fougere Trois shaving soap
Razor: Vintage Gillette 'Fatboy' adjustable (6)
Blade: Vintage NOS Gillette Australian Super Stainless (3)
Post-shave: APR Fougere Trois splash
Fragrance: N/A

Hmmm, nice

Aa7uWDQl.jpg

Now all that needs to happen is the weather to catch up -

MAFv4KVl.png

Gem Junior (Parade)
Gem Blue Star (carbon steel)
Albright Rubberset/ Omega
Vintage Colgate
Squadron Empire

First time using the Vintage Colgate and it gave a great lather very easily.
I haven't used the carbon Gem blades for some time, unlike the stainless Gems they give a super smooth shave on the first use, just a pity they rust so easily and are hard to get.
I've never used a Gem before so I have no idea about the blades, but I was looking for something else the other day and saw this listing. I don't know if they fit, or if they are sharpened to a shaving standard etc, but I'll just put it out there.

Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue Special Edition 2013 Silvertip 24/48mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Stirling Soap Co ~ Naked & Smooth
Razor/Blade:- Karve SS. 'SB-C' / Wizamet SI #10
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- Tommy Hilfiger for Men

P4UBuqv.png

RAZOR: Rocnel 2021 Sailor Series Adjustable @3
BLADE: Personna
BRUSH: Oumo 01 Venus SHD Badger
LATHER: Noble Otter Barrbarr Shave Soap

So did you like this soap - or is it just an effect?

I've never used a Gem before so I have no idea about the blades, but I was looking for something else the other day and saw this listing. I don't know if they fit, or if they are sharpened to a shaving standard etc, but I'll just put it out there.

It is easy to make a mistake and buy blades like this. They would fit but would give a very rough shave. The Personna Stainless blades for shaving are triple facet and platinum coated. Unfortunately I have never found a place to buy them in Australia. Most people, even in the US, buy them from Connaught shaving in the UK.
Carbon Steel blades like the Blue Star seem to be only available in the US, they used to be available in pharmacies but I think are becoming less common. Postage to Australia and their propensity to rust mean they are not worth the troubke.
If you decide to try a Gem, which is a good idea, I would be glad to send you a couple of Gem PTFE (platinum triple facet) blades so you can try before ordering from the UK.

It is easy to make a mistake and buy blades like this. They would fit but would give a very rough shave. The Personna Stainless blades for shaving are triple facet and platinum coated. Unfortunately I have never found a place to buy them in Australia. Most people, even in the US, buy them from Connaught shaving in the UK.
Carbon Steel blades like the Blue Star seem to be only available in the US, they used to be available in pharmacies but I think are becoming less common. Postage to Australia and their propensity to rust mean they are not worth the troubke.
If you decide to try a Gem, which is a good idea, I would be glad to send you a couple of Gem PTFE (platinum triple facet) blades so you can try before ordering from the UK.
So did you like this soap - or is it just an effect?
Noble Otter makes great soaps, although I only have three at the moment. And this one has a very pleasant barbershop scent.

MdC Monday...

1.png

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Pears soap
Brush: Troycraft "Opalesque" 28mm AP G5C
Soap: MdC Original
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Schick Proline
Post-shave: Shower, Castle Forbes Lavender balm , homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+
COTD: Mocha Ismaili, Yemen

Last week I did the first full shave in about 4 years. Been sporting a beard that time, and so only using my DEs to trim cheekbones and neck.

My 3yo son asked why I shaved my beard. I said because I wanted to. He replied “is it because you want to look like mum?” 😂

Was great to get back into it. Been reminding myself of technique, and the various fragrances of soap I have (when trimming the beard edges, I just used canned goop). Also loved exploring my new hardware.

This mornings shave was smooth and satisfying. Can’t ask for much more than that. I don’t chase BBS and can’t shave atg without my face hating on me for a week. Thick beard with sensitive skin. I can get what I think is DFS though, which in my definition is BBS except when feeling atg. There is always still a slight shadow at the end too (dark beard and fair skin).

This was this mornings shave. I can still smell the cavendish on me. It’s delightful. I got some Mammoth tobacconist and used it last week. It’s very different… smells like actual tobacco (think unlit cigarette or cigars). Not sure if I like it. I kinda do and kinda don’t… The Rockwell 6s was good for me today. #3. Used #4 last week and found a bit more irritation, but that could be because my skin is still getting used to shaving again. The shavemac is lovely. About 24mm. Gel tips. Feels like a plush blanket when wet.

J31ubToh.jpg

Last week I did the first full shave in about 4 years. Been sporting a beard that time, and so only using my DEs to trim cheekbones and neck.

My 3yo son asked why I shaved my beard. I said because I wanted to. He replied “is it because you want to look like mum?” 😂

Was great to get back into it. Been reminding myself of technique, and the various fragrances of soap I have (when trimming the beard edges, I just used canned goop). Also loved exploring my new hardware.

This mornings shave was smooth and satisfying. Can’t ask for much more than that. I don’t chase BBS and can’t shave atg without my face hating on me for a week. Thick beard with sensitive skin. I can get what I think is DFS though, which in my definition is BBS except when feeling atg. There is always still a slight shadow at the end too (dark beard and fair skin).

This was this mornings shave. I can still smell the cavendish on me. It’s delightful. I got some Mammoth tobacconist and used it last week. It’s very different… smells like actual tobacco (think unlit cigarette or cigars). Not sure if I like it. I kinda do and kinda don’t… The Rockwell 6s was good for me today. #3. Used #4 last week and found a bit more irritation, but that could be because my skin is still getting used to shaving again. The shavemac is lovely. About 24mm. Gel tips. Feels like a plush blanket when wet.

J31ubToh.jpg
Welcome back to a smooth face, funny 🤣 child reaction to your sudden changes in appearance.

I suspected this might be the case, thanks for educating me.

Status
Not open for further replies.