Shave of the Day Thread - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
SOTD – Sun 25 Jun 2023

SOTD-20230625-setup.png

345 soap is great modern Artisan soap base that makes a lovely rich creamy medium to high density lather with excellent lather performance. To my nose the lather scent is Bay rum forward scent with a sweetish spicy scented background, scent strength 7/10. The Merkur 34c + Wizamet did it’s usual smooth shave but a few weepers and a bump (ingrown) head chop.

The Gear:​

• Pre Shave: Suavecito Brushless Shaving Cream
  • Brush: Dscosmetic “Green American” 24/56 Yaqi Plissoft
  • Soap: 345 Soap Co - Rhumpkin
  • Bowl: Yaqi Blue “Duke”
  • Razor: Merkur 34c HD
  • Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (4)
  • Astringent Splash: TN Dickinsons Witch Hazel with Menthol & T.Tree oil
  • Balm: Lucky Tiger Vanishing Cream
  • After Shave: Lucky Tiger Bay Rum AS lotion
  • Moisturiser: Nivea Men Creme (Face-Body-Hands)

Last edited:
vo37Ind.jpg

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- Brad Sears - S7 Nachtgras Ebonite - 26mm Estate knot
Soap:- A&E - Khalifa
Razor:- H.Boker&Co. Finest India Steel with ornate Gutta Percha handle
Aftershave:- A&E - Khalifa

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Vintage (mottled) butterscotch Simpson shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Phoenix & Beau Spitfire shaving soap
Razor: Blutt WR-1 razor (1.20 mm)
Blade: Polsilver 'Brown' (2)
Post-shave: Phoenix & Beau Spitfire lotion
Fragrance: Phoenix & Beau Spitfire solid cologne

Always reliable Spitfire

S4gF48nl.jpg

Rockwell 6S (2)
Astra SP
Yaqi 30mm barberpole
ARKO!
Armani Code

This ARKO stick is many years old and is still excellent in my book. The scent has lost its synthetic intensity and I am left with a relatively natural, muted lemon instead. I find Astras quite harsh but plate 2 on the 6S tames the beast admirably, while retaining efficiency.

Pre-shave:- Cool Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Simpson Chubby 2 Best Badger 27/50mm knot
Soap/Cream:- New Mitchell's Wool Fat
Razor/Blade:- WCS American Liberty CNC / Gillette Minora Stainless #3
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Moisturising Cream:- Aveeno Active Naturals Daily Fragrance-Free (for autumn & winter season)
Fragrance:- Burberry London for Men

I've tried the new MWF formula for the third time today and I find this soap doesn't feel more nourishing and hydrating enough on my skin when comparing side by side to the original version, I'm sure everybody must've tried Stirling Sheep which has mutton tallow which has more nourishing and hydrating feel on your face.

I'm disappointed to say the new MWF formula isn't nourishing enough on my skin, which is a real shame, because, MWF has removed tallow, there's still lanolin in the new version and still hydrate your skin which isn't enough, any ingredients added contain 'palm' does dry out your skin that's all. Also, the new formula doesn't even smell as close to the original MWF, and the slickness isn't close to the original as well, not bad, just disappointed with the new MWF formula version.

You still provide a good clean and comfortable protective shave with the new MWF formula, just isn't enough nourishing and hydrating on the skin, that's all.

From another user at Badger and Blade forum:-

Here's part of my correspondence with Mitchell's:

"The rumour is true, the base (soap noodles) used in the creation of the shaving soap will no longer contain tallow (made from Bovine and porcine bi-products) but that isn’t the wool fat element of the product, and absolutely will always contains Lanolin, the Wool Fat, which is intrinsic to brand.

The quality and consistency remains at the forefront of all we do, and the change in base formulation, brought on in part by changes in the use of some common preservatives, will not detract from performance or the feel, whilst maintaining a more consistent availability of supply and stability of the market.

The bath and hand soaps continue to use the same base, with the tallow base being the best for that purpose. We currently have no plans to change the formulation of the original soap.

I’m happy to chat through the subject, but please be assured the shaving soap quality will continue as always."

Last edited:
Pre-shave:- Cool Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Simpson Chubby 2 Best Badger 27/50mm knot
Soap/Cream:- New Mitchell's Wool Fat
Razor/Blade:- WCS American Liberty CNC / Gillette Minora Stainless #3
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Moisturising Cream:- Aveeno Active Naturals Daily Fragrance-Free (for autumn & winter season)
Fragrance:- Burberry London for Men

I've tried the new MWF formula for the third time today and I find this soap doesn't feel more nourishing and hydrating enough on my skin when comparing side by side to the original version, I'm sure everybody must've tried Stirling Sheep which has mutton tallow which has more nourishing and hydrating feel on your face.

I'm disappointed to say the new MWF formula isn't nourishing enough on my skin, which is a real shame, because, MWF has removed tallow, there's still lanolin in the new version and still hydrate your skin which isn't enough, any ingredients added contain 'palm' does dry out your skin that's all. Also, the new formula doesn't even smell as close to the original MWF, and the slickness isn't close to the original as well, not bad, just disappointed with the new MWF formula version.

You still provide a good clean and comfortable protective shave with the new MWF formula, just isn't enough nourishing and hydrating on the skin, that's all.

I heard the Barrister and Mann soaps are great…

Had an incredible shave with the WR2 yesterday with 2 days growth so much so I decided on a back to back with it today.. so good !!!

WR2 1.25
German Wilkie
TroyCraft 'Olympiakos' 24mm 2-Band Badger
DG Colonia Balsamica
Son of Zeus

53002396044_f25c3580ab_h.jpg

WR2 1.25
German Wilkie
24mm Synthetic
MdC Rose
Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel

53002248086_8d8641fc4c_h.jpg

Had an incredible shave with the WR2 yesterday with 2 days growth so much so I decided on a back to back with it today.. so good !!!

WR2 1.25
German Wilkie
DG Colonia Balsamica
Son of Zeus

53002396044_f25c3580ab_h.jpg

WR2 1.25
German Wilkie
24mm Synthetic
MdC Rose
Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel

53002248086_8d8641fc4c_h.jpg
You seem to be having a jolly good mood with DG ;)

Good to see 'Olympiakos' out for a run - stunning brush (y) :love:

CVxo5rw.jpg

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- Brad Sears - S7 Nachtgras Ebonite - 26mm Estate knot
Razor:- H.Boker&Co. Finest India Steel with ornate Gutta Percha handle
Soap/Aftershave:- A&E - Khalifa

Status
Not open for further replies.