Shave of the Day Thread - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
r0I6Tyw_d.webp

This extro is more of a cream than a soap but I gives really good results.
Sticking in my regular rotation

Great photobomb (y) :LOL:

Your lavender is in flower in the middle of winter? Far out...

not my lavender, I have a different type at home that looks amazing but has no scent.. i'll post pics when they flower.. these come from a lovely elderly couple who's house I pass daily on the walks with my dog and yes there lavender is flowering and has been for at least 2-3 weeks. The scent on their lavender is amazing

once my driveway is done i will be planting a hedge of them at the front my house. The only thing, IMHO, to rival the scent of lavender is the scent of fresh roses and I have plenty of those at home, around 30 standards

The only thing, IMHO, to rival the scent of lavender is the scent of fresh roses and I have plenty of those at home, around 30 standards
I'm with you re the florals. I haven't been posting any SOTDs lately because I'd bore everybody silly, I've just been using my Valobra unscented with a drop of either lavender EO (Lyndoch, SA) or rose (Jurlique, also from SA). Lovely. ❤️

SOTD – Wed 9 Aug 2023

SOTD-20230809-setup.png

Half a teaspoon maybe too much soap:oops:
VID20230809163457-lather.png

Squadron soaps are a sentimental favourite for me, it was my first Artisan soap. From the lather I get an aroma that smells like a port cigar or sweet pipe tobacco, lather scent strength 7/10. The Yaqi Sputnik has a blade gap of 1.25mm which a lot more than I normally use and blade feel but not too much, so I shaved carefully and was surprised that I was able to achieve a clean smooth efficient bloodless shave without irritation, almost BBS.

The Gear:​

• Pre Shave: Natio Men Shave Gel [A]
  • Brush: Billy Goat “Picasso” 26/56 Syn 2Band [A]
  • Soap: Squadron Soaps - Group Captains Blend [A]
  • Bowl: Whispers From The Woods [A]
  • Razor: Yaqi Sputnik AL
  • Blade: Gillette - Wilkinson Sword {India} PTFE (1)
  • Splash: Imperial Bergamot AS with added Menthol
  • Balm: Natio Men Calming After Shave [A]
  • After Shave: Jovan Musk AS
  • Moisturiser (Later): Swisse Daily Face Moisturiser [A]
[A] = Australian Product

7E5HQES.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glicerlanolina Soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Kent BLK8 Silvertip Badger
Soap: Saponificio Bignoli Agrumi Del Mediterraneo
Razor: Rex Konsul (3.5)
Blade: Vintage NOS Personna Super Platinum Chrome (5)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, Cella Aftershave Lotion
Scent: Farina Original 1709 EdC

SOTD – Wed 9 Aug 2023

SOTD-20230809-setup.png

Half a teaspoon maybe too much soap:oops:
VID20230809163457-lather.png

Squadron soaps are a sentimental favourite for me, it was my first Artisan soap. From the lather I get an aroma that smells like a port cigar or sweet pipe tobacco, lather scent strength 7/10. The Yaqi Sputnik has a blade gap of 1.25mm which a lot more than I normally use and blade feel but not too much, so I shaved carefully and was surprised that I was able to achieve a clean smooth efficient bloodless shave without irritation, almost BBS.

• Pre Shave: Natio Men Shave Gel [A]
  • Brush: Billy Goat “Picasso” 26/56 Syn 2Band [A]
  • Soap: Squadron Soaps - Group Captains Blend [A]
  • Bowl: Whispers From The Woods [A]
  • Razor: Yaqi Sputnik AL
  • Blade: Gillette - Wilkinson Sword {India} PTFE (1)
  • Balm: Natio Men Calming After Shave [A]
  • After Shave: Jovan Musk AS
  • Moisturiser (Later): Swisse Daily Face Moisturiser [A]
[A] = Australian Product
You only need a size of a single green pea is all you need.

I'm with you re the florals. I haven't been posting any SOTDs lately because I'd bore everybody silly, I've just been using my Valobra unscented with a drop of either lavender EO (Lyndoch, SA) or rose (Jurlique, also from SA). Lovely. ❤️
A few years ago I worked for a couple weeks in the production area at Jurlique. I spent plenty of time measuring out lots of oils etc. It's the only job I've ever had where I went home smelling better than I did when I arrived at work! I was a casual through labour hire, and they wanted me to go permanent, but I couldn't afford the drop in pay as my wife wasn't working due to a young baby at home. I wish I could have stayed, as it was a great place to work.

H4b9fgy.jpg

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- Stirling 90th Anniversary Astor Super Badger
Soap/Aftershave:- Declaration Grooming - Trismegistus
Razor:- Blackland - Blackbird
Blade:- Wizamet (7)

Balckbird must be the most consistent DE that provides 1 x WTG = DFS++ (95% BBS)
Straights and SE that match this level of efficiency and a few DE that come close but the BB is a damn good razor for my mileage

A few years ago I worked for a couple weeks in the production area at Jurlique. I spent plenty of time measuring out lots of oils etc. It's the only job I've ever had where I went home smelling better than I did when I arrived at work! I was a casual through labour hire, and they wanted me to go permanent, but I couldn't afford the drop in pay as my wife wasn't working due to a young baby at home. I wish I could have stayed, as it was a great place to work.
Good, it's gratifying to hear that someone whose products you like happens to provide a good working environment. I have never been the sort of person who is attracted to the highest-paying occupations, which is why I'm not rich, but I am content.

Jurlique don't even seem to offer their pure rose EO anymore, and I had to pay a fearsome price just for 1mL of the stuff. Fortunately, I have a range of micropipettes, so it's easy to dose my lather with just 10μL. Even that is heady stuff...

Pre-shave:- Cool Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC Two Band Finest Badger in Cherry Wood 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- D.R. Harris ~ Sandalwood
Razor/Blade:- Blackbird Lite SS Polished / Vintage Gillette Super Stainless (spoiler) #1
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerine (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Moisturising Cream:- Aveeno Active Naturals Daily Fragrance-Free (for autumn & winter season)
Fragrance:- Proraso Wood & Spice

Compare.jpg

Well, my newly acquired PAL Adjustable Injector was disappointing on its maiden shave. I performed a 3-pass shave on the left side of my face using the PAL and the right side of my face using a Schick Type-E. Both had a new Schick Proline blade inserted and both provided me with a BBS shave. I tried different settings on the PAL but it just felt rough while the Schick was comfortable. The alum block verified the difference. I'm not giving up on the PAL just yet. I am going to try it in a couple of weeks with a Schick blade to see if there is any improvement.

Compare.jpg

Well, my newly acquired PAL Adjustable Injector was disappointing on its maiden shave. I performed a 3-pass shave on the left side of my face using the PAL and the right side of my face using a Schick Type-E. Both had a new Schick Proline blade inserted and both provided me with a BBS shave. I tried different settings on the PAL but it just felt rough while the Schick was comfortable. The alum block verified the difference. I'm not giving up on the PAL just yet. I am going to try it in a couple of weeks with a Schick blade to see if there is any improvement.
I had the same experience with my PAL Adjustable and I have heard the same from others. There was some guy, I read somwhere, trying to explain how you had to treat it like a DE. I tried changing the angle and faffing about for a bit but in the end end I gave up on it. I have the Injectormatic and that is a great little razor.

SOTD Fri 11 Aug 2023

SOTD-20230811-setup.png

• Pre Shave: Suavecito Brushless Shaving Cream
  • Brush: Omega “Faux Jade” 11842 with Premium 27/52 Boar
  • Soap: Proraso Shaving Cream - Protective (Blue)
  • Bowl: Yaqi ABS White “Duke”
  • Razor: Yaqi Sputnik AL (55gm)
  • Blade: Gillette - Wilkinson Sword {India} PTFE (2)
  • Balm: Lucky Tiger Vanishing Cream
  • After Shave: Proraso Refreshing (Green) AS
  • Moisturiser (Later): MooGoo Hydrate (Natural Ingredients) [A]
[A] = Australian Made

Status
Not open for further replies.