Shave of the Day Thread - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
1sc83HS.jpg

Filarmónica 14 Doble Temple 15/16 Hollow - Zenith Manchurian - Mike's Barber Shop - Myrsol F./Extra - Sukin Moisturiser

I have had the same sort of experience with a Gillette Nacet blade. It was good one day, extremely bad the next. I could not explain it but it was very much the same as what you are describing. It was so bad that I had to swap it out, ironically I swapped out the Nacet for a BiC Chrome Platinum blade. haha
The only thing worse than that Nacet was one of my older generation Gillette 7'O Clock yellow. Dreadful!
I always remove my blades from the razor after each shave, pat them dry thoroughly and leave them to dry on a towel for at least 30mins before I put it back into the sleeve in which it came from so I have no idea.

I'm glad the post shave experience was great for you though.

Nice photo composition and lather!
So funny as I have had that experiance with BIC but never nacet

PXL-20230821-032246478-PORTRAIT.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Pears soap
Brush: Forgotten Art "takayna" 26mm shoat
Soap: Valobra unscented + a drop of rose EO 3%
Razor: Blackland Sabre
Blade: Personna GEM Stainless
Post-shave: Shower, TND witch hazel, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+ Invisible Fluid, Oxford & Cambridge cologne
COTD: Shakisso Estate, Ethiopia

Making a start on my very last puck of Valobra unscented.

PXL-20230821-032246478-PORTRAIT.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Pears soap
Brush: Forgotten Art "takayna" 26mm shoat
Soap: Valobra unscented + a drop of rose EO 3%
Razor: Blackland Sabre
Blade: Personna GEM Stainless
Post-shave: Shower, TND witch hazel, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+ Invisible Fluid, Oxford & Cambridge cologne
COTD: Shakisso Estate, Ethiopia

Making a start on my very last puck of Valobra unscented.
Thats a shame but a least you enjoyed them and had a good run with them.
I've tried many times to email the parent company (Marteli) to encourage them to bring back the Valobra line but to no evail.
Who knows, Maybe someday they will see sense and bring them back. Unscented soaps are underrated.

I've tried many times to email the parent company (Marteli) to encourage them to bring back the Valobra line but to no evail.
Who knows, Maybe someday they will see sense and bring them back. Unscented soaps are underrated.
Valobra shaving soap isn’t coming anymore, since Proraso bought Valobra as far as I know. Only Valobra bath soap is currently in production throughout Europe and major first class hotels around the world.

Last edited:
My last puck of this gave me 15 months in heavy rotation, so I'll be good for this one for a while. Plus I have nearly 6 pucks of Oxford & Cambridge and a nearly full puck of AoS Sandalwood (thanks to @TomG) all made by Valobra, so I won't be crying into my beer for a while yet...

I've been so used to adding a drop of a nice EO to my lather, I caught myself forgetting on a few occasions, just going through my whole shave imagining the scent. :facepalm:

So funny as I have had that experience with BIC but never nacet
Hahaha!
To be honest I hear more complaints about BiC Chrome Platinum blades than any other blade. I do enjoy the BiC Astor blades from the few times I have tried them though. They are probably more in line with Gillette Platinum blades which is fine with me.

Valobra shaving soap isn’t coming anymore, since Proraso bought Valobra. Only Valobra bath soap is currently in production throughout Europe and major first class hotels around the world.

Yep. Marteli is the parent company of a few brands such as Proraso, Floid and also own Valobra. I was hoping they might have been thinking about it since they revived Floid genuine but then I saw the rest of their lines in floid and it seemed more modern so it didn't inspire much confidence.
What they should be doing is bringing back Floid blue (even though I have three or four bottles) and Vigoroso aftershave which are thw two things that people want most out of the floid range.
As far as Valobra I would not complain if they used the same recipe and renamed it something like Proraso premium or something as long as they bring back the Valobra shaving soap we all know and love in some form. I would even accept if they brought it back as the shaving stick only which would be a unique offering to their current line up of shaving products and as it is Valobra made shaving sticks so its not a huge leap wouldn't be an overlapping of their current range.

... I would even accept if they brought it back as the shaving stick only which would be a unique offering to their current line up of shaving products and as it is Valobra made shaving sticks so its not a huge leap wouldn't be an overlapping of their current range.
Yeah, the sticks were pretty popular by all accounts. I've never used a stick (so far), in fact I only have one, and that's Yardley, sealed in its little glass jar awaiting its moment. I suspect my Yardley collection might be more impressive than my Valobra collection by now. I keep giving in to temptation, so I should really do a count. I can't take it with me, after all...

My last puck of this gave me 15 months in heavy rotation, so I'll be good for this one for a while. Plus I have nearly 6 pucks of Oxford & Cambridge and a nearly full puck of AoS Sandalwood (thanks to @TomG) all made by Valobra, so I won't be crying into my beer for a while yet...

I've been so used to adding a drop of a nice EO to my lather, I caught myself forgetting on a few occasions, just going through my whole shave imagining the scent. :facepalm:
You've definitely had a good run.

hahaha the imagery of crying into your beer. I think I will be crying into my beer when my I Coloniali soap runs out some day. What is it with Italy and their soaps. :(

I have to admire the fact that you have a neat rotation of fixed products you enjoy.
I'm all over the place and find myself wanting others but not buying them and then just using the same unscented soap more often than not for the sake of simplicity or time constraints.
I guess once you run out of all that its on to DR. Harris. One of the soaps on my to buy list. DR. Harris Windsor in particular. I found out when tidying up recently that I have both the Windsor Milk balm and aftershave (with no restrictor though) so I definitely need to buy the soap eventually.
Yeah, the sticks were pretty popular by all accounts. I've never used a stick (so far), in fact I only have one, and that's Yardley, sealed in its little glass jar awaiting its moment. I suspect my Yardley collection might be more impressive than my Valobra collection by now. I keep giving in to temptation, so I should really do a count. I can't take it with me, after all...
Yeah I only have one stick and two soft slabs that I think I bought from mensbiz back in the day. I missed out on the harder puck tub version of Valobra.
Haha. You're Yardley collection is incredible in its own right. I had never seen a Yardley stick before and in a glass jar it was even more rare.
I was having a similar conversation with someone across the pond recently and I just suggested he load heavy and get the most out of every shave while you can. Life is too short regardless of age to spend it loading light on and having terrible or less than the best shaves possible.

I guess once you run out of all that its on to DR. Harris. One of the soaps on my to buy list. DR. Harris Windsor in particular. I found out when tidying up recently that I have both the Windsor Milk balm and aftershave (with no restrictor though) so I definitely need to buy the soap eventually.

Yeah I only have one stick and two soft slabs that I think I bought from mensbiz back in the day. I missed out on the harder puck tub version of Valobra.
Haha. You're Yardley collection is incredible in its own right. I had never seen a Yardley stick before and in a glass jar it was even more rare.
I was having a similar conversation with someone across the pond recently and I just suggested he load heavy and get the most out of every shave while you can. Life is too short regardless of age to spend it loading light on and having terrible or less than the best shaves possible.
Windsor is one of my all-time favourite soaps. I just gave away a puck of it to someone I hope will like it, but I have another in the sheesham mahogany-look bowl. It'll come out in spring when I put aside a couple of the other soaps I have in circulation. That's what being on this forum does to you. I never used to have a changeover day... :facepalm: :banghead:

I always load heavy. Nobody ever got a bad shave from having too much lather... :smuggrin:

z2hKYhT.jpg

I haven't seen too many of these Wilkinson Pall Mall razors. I got lucky with this one, it is pretty much spotless, came with its original box. I was tempted to sell it recently, but I decided to use it a few days ago and it is a great razor. It has one of my early edges, so I am convinced I can do better now.

I don't think I'll be selling this one anytime soon.

Pre-shave:- Cool Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Whipped Dog High Mountain Badger in Tall Ivory Resin 24/55mm knot
Soap/Cream:- D.R. Harris ~ Windsor
Razor/Blade:- Fine DE5 (borrowed) / Wizamet Super Iridium #3
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerine (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Moisturising Cream:- Aveeno Active Naturals Daily Fragrance-Free (for autumn & winter season)
Fragrance:- Hugo Boss (Original)

Status
Not open for further replies.