Not open for further replies.
SOTD – Wed 23 Aug 2023

SOTD-20230823-setup.png

The Gear:​

• Pre Shave: Natio Men Shave Gel [A]
  • Brush: ShaveXDave “The Green&Gold” 24/55 APShave Synbad Fan [A]
  • Soap: All Body Soaps Solid Shave Soap (Puck) [A]
  • Bowl: Whispers From The Woods [A]
  • Razor: Wilkinson Sword Classic (Plastic)
  • Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (3)
  • Splash: Imperial Bergamot AS Tonic with added Menthol
  • Balm: Natio Men Calming After Shave [A]
  • After Shave: Malizia UOMO Vetyver AS Lotion
  • Moisturiser (Later): Swisse Daily Face Moisturiser [A]
[A] = Australian Product

2t6F63jl.jpg

Soap: Pb Camphorwood Rocker
Brush: Semogue 610
Razor: Lupo
On the road again........ and the cottage I normally stay at was booked out so I was put in the Heritage cottage which is an amazingly maintained 1800s house with rooms full of antique furniture and all sorts of period items. There's two modern bathrooms, again with some period furniture. In my bathroom was this washstand complete with shaving mugs, a Gillette flare tip and a Gillette Ball End Tech and a few packets of Aussie Spoiler blades.
There was also a Capstan blade sharpener which I have never seen before.
I got talking to the owner curious as to whether he had any other vintage shaving gear tucked away. He had three of the Capstan Quikstrop blade sharpeners so gave one to me. It is a bakelite container with a draw cord running through it which rotates two brass pins (capstans) which hold the DE blade. The pins push the blade in a circular motion across some red whetstones which are a series of 'teeth' protruding into the box.
Has anybody seen the Capstan Quikstrop sharpener before?
KVwqCLym.jpg

I went to put away my travel food in the fridge and found the old Kelvinator in the kitchen. I looked around for the 'proper' fridge but no, the Kelvinator was running and was the fridge in use. The old stove in the background is no longer used (chimney is blocked off).

zpe0Reqm.jpg

An example of the rooms. The master dining room.
Amazingly the house is not open for tourists but is let out as accommodation if you know the right people. :)

NVnVRo4.jpg

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- Maseto Shaving - Himalaya 24mm Extra Density Silvertip Badger
Soap/Aftershave:- Unconditional Surrender
Razor:- Ribbon by R.Saito

After some experimentation, I managed to achieve a satisfactory edge on the Ribbon. However, further extensive honing on the stones will be required to perfect it.

The process of honing the Swedish steel Japanese and silver steel razors demands significantly more effort than that needed for high carbon steel razors in order to attain an optimal edge.
Waxed loom strop effectiveness was limited due to hardness of the blade, necessitating the incorporation of diamond pasted strop to achieve the desired outcome.

Pre-shave:- Cool Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Yaqi Sagrada Familia Pure Badger 22/50mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Stirling Soap Co ~ Sunflower Fields
Razor/Blade:- Blackbird Lite SS Polished / Vintage Gillette Super Stainless (spoiler) #2
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerine (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Moisturising Cream:- Aveeno Active Naturals Daily Fragrance-Free (for autumn & winter season)
Fragrance:- Hugo Boss (Original)

qZSpOGm.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glicerlanolina Soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Kent BLK8 Silvertip Badger
Cream:Mühle Sea Buckthorn
Razor: Rex Konsul (3)
Blade: Iridium Super BN-84 (1)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, Sir Irisch Moos Aftershave Lotion
Scent: Royal Copenhagen Musk EdC

FDafWvi.jpg

Saturday Shave 08.26.23
RAZOR: Rocnel 2021 Sailor Series Adjustable Razor @3
BLADE: Personna
BRUSH: Oumo 11 Pandora Green Resin 28mm SHD Badger
LATHER: Penhaligon's London Blenheim Bouquet (vintage)

Been dealing with some family drama the last week, more to come so this mornings shave at home was a nice respite

SaWlG4Jl.jpg

Enjoy your shaves fellas!

FDafWvi.jpg

Saturday Shave 08.26.23
RAZOR: Rocnel 2021 Sailor Series Adjustable Razor @3
BLADE: Personna
BRUSH: Oumo 11 Pandora Green Resin 28mm SHD Badger
LATHER: Penhaligon's London Blenheim Bouquet (vintage)
I really like the look of the Rocnel Sailor and I assume the amount of times it features in your shaves you really like too. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.