Shave of the Day Thread - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pre-shave: Proraso green Crema Pre Barba
Brush: Proraso Boar
Soap: Cella
Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: Lord Cool (3)
Post-shave: Alum block, SpeedyPC's Recipe, Gillette Sensitive After Shave Balm, Imperial Leather No.1 Original
embed

Well high on my wish list is to pick up a Heritage Gibbs replica, but there seems to be nothing happening at the Heritage Collection website around razor supply and no reply to emails.
So to satisfy my desire to try this style of adjustable razor along came Style and Swagger with the The Final Cut Adjustable Safety Razor Gunmetal by Yaqi on special.
I know, I know, Yaqi quality etc etc etc, but to get one of these that comes with the puck stand for $40 was to good to pass up.
And as it was delivered this morning and in need of a shave I thought I'd give it a go...

Pre Shave: Proraso Wood and Spice Pre-Shave Cream
Shaving Cream: TOBS Sandalwood
Brush: AP Blue Lagoon Silksmoke
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (German)
Razor: The Final Cut
Post Shave: Alum to check skin
Aftershave: Thayers Gentlemen's Aftershave Lotion Witch Hazel & Aloe Vera

I found The Final Cut to be quite acceptable, it was a little stiff out of the box but a strip down and oiling with Kurobara Camellia Oil resolved that.
Shave was setting 6 with the grain and 3 against and tiding up, gave a little bit of razor rash on the neck but not to bad and settled down with Alum.
All in all happy with the purchase.

Last edited:
SOTD
  • Razor Gillette Vintage British Flare tip
  • Blade Astra Green Platinum
  • Brush Jack the Barber – Synthetic
  • Pre-Shave Pears soap – Lemon
  • Cream Proraso – Sandalwood & Shea Butter
  • Post Shave Thayers Facial Toner - unscented
  • Aftershave Gillette – Artic Ice
  • Balm Nivea – Sensitive Pro Balm

003b.jpg

The Morning Shave.

Love the scent of the Proraso Sandalwood, very rich creamy lather.

Gillette Artic Ice splash is very refreshing.

13 to 17 September 2023

All finished and maintained on diamond pasted balsa, except Saturday which was finished and maintained on a vintage coticule/BB whetstone..

FviyooA.jpg

Wednesday = 17mm (5/8) Torrey Razor Co., Worcester, Mass. USA
Thursday = 16mm (5/8) Stiz Utro 7, Russia
Friday = 13mm (4/8) C.V. Heljestrand MK24, Sweden
Saturday & Sunday = 19mm (6/8) Gold Dollar W59, China

And the winner is Friday, just pipping Sunday.

13 to 17 September 2023

All finished and maintained on diamond pasted balsa, except Saturday which was finished and maintained on a vintage coticule/BB whetstone..

FviyooA.jpg

Wednesday = 17mm (5/8) Torrey Razor Co., Worcester, Mass. USA
Thursday = 16mm (5/8) Stiz Utro 7, Russia
Friday = 13mm (4/8) C.V. Heljestrand MK24, Sweden
Saturday & Sunday = 19mm (6/8) Gold Dollar W59, China

And the winner is Friday, just pipping Sunday.
A great collection, the Saturday / Sunday look really nice.

A great collection, the Saturday / Sunday look really nice.
The Gold Dollar W59s can be a bit intimidating to shave with due to their exaggerated Spanish point. Many mute the blade's toe, however I prefer to keep it sharp and pointy. Helps keep my concentration up. Buying these razors with the face signage as shown is becoming very difficult and cost about US$40 each, including shipping.

wLKgS8w.jpg

Pre-shave: Shower
Bowl: Large Pereira Shavery Unbreakable Shaving Bowl
Soap/Splash: Squadron Coronet Fougere
Brush: DC Blades-"BlackGold" - custom P&C TKM 2020
Hand turned resin brush handle with 24mm silver tip badger bulb knot
Razor:- DC Blades "The Cleaver" - P&C TKM 2020
8/8” straight razor custom resin wedgeless scales, brass bullseye washers & pins.

Noticed the regrowth was much quicker after using a shallower angle than usual.
Just goes to show keep to what works 4U and "don't fix what ain't broken"

The Gold Dollar W59s can be a bit intimidating to shave with due to their exaggerated Spanish point. Many mute the blade's toe, however I prefer to keep it sharp and pointy. Helps keep my concentration up. Buying these razors with the face signage as shown is becoming very difficult and cost about US$40 each, including shipping.
The GD is a great razor for the price. I used to find the point was perfect for XTG below the nostrils.

1973 Gillete Black Beauty (6/8)
BlackBird SS
24mm Omega 11137 Boar
21mm Semogue Herodotus 610 Boar
Generic Synthetic
Tabac Soap
Thayers Rose Witch Hazel
Milkman Summer Waves Serum

Why so much gear? The Omega is a floppy noodle and its only the Semogue's second run so wasnt sure what to expect. Brought the synth along just in case but it was not needed. The 73 Gillette is my birth razor (not my birthday today but brought it out for a run), the Blackbird was there as a super sub, just in case.. In the end I didnt end up using the BB as the 73 Gillette was ok def nothing special. It was a little rough but no major dramas, just a touch of razor burn. Have to say they pale in comparison to a quality modern precision razor

53198465611_63ebe3e6dc_h.jpg

Not just below the nostrils, I find it perfect for shaving inside the nostrils and ear canals.
That might be just a bit too effective at removing parent flesh for my taste. :eek: Why use a razor when a Dremel will do? :ROFLMAO: I'm now of an age when hair doth grow in luxuriant profusion in those locations, and I freely confess to using one of those Remington widgets for the former, and Veet for the latter.

PXL-20230919-204207510-PORTRAIT.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Pears soap
Brush: Forgotten Art "takayna" 26mm shoat
Soap: Valobra + a drop of rose EO 3%
Razor: Alpha Claymore Evolution
Blade: Kai PINK
Post-shave: Shower, TND witch hazel, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+ Invisible Fluid, Oxford & Cambridge cologne
COTD: Elephant Hills, India

Status
Not open for further replies.