Shave of the Day Thread - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOTD s249 – Wed 20 Sep 2023

SOTD-20230920-setup.png

For me the Yaqi Tachi polished SS head is well made and finished. During the shave the razor felt quite aggressive with lots of blade feel so I shaved carefully, as expected it gave an efficient shave, although the Lord blade felt a little rough in this razor. Overall a surprisingly clean, smooth & close DFS.

The Gear:​

• Pre Shave: Natio Men Shave Gel [A]
  • Brush: Billy Goat “Valencia” with 26/55 Motherlode [A]
  • Soap: Stuga - Rosewood, Rose & Geranium (Double Strength) [A]
  • Bowl: Whispers from The Woods [A]
  • Razor: Yaqi Tachi SS SE + Razzo AL Handle
  • Blade: Lord Saloon SS (1)
  • Splash: Imperial Bergamot AS Tonic with added Menthol
  • Balm: Natio Men Calming After Shave [A]
  • After Shave: Imperial Leather AS
  • Moisturiser (Later): Swisse Daily Face Moisturiser [A]
[A] = Australian Product

19 to 22 September 2023

All 6/8 pre-1924 T.R. Cadman "Bengall" SRs finished and maintained on diamond pasted balsa re-scaled in various timbers with lead wedges (for balance). I keep all toes sharp and pointy.

jWbZT1v.jpg

Tuesday = spike point in Queensland black bean
Wednesday = American (square) point in Burmese teak
Thursday = Spanish point in Western Australian jarrah
Friday = French point in New South wales sliver ash

All edges shaved equally as well. Of the four, Thursday won out as it requires the most concentration when shaving.

I have a Dutch (round) point to complete this collection. Just need to clean it up and re-scale with some wattle (aka snakewood) scales.

SOTD – FRI 22 Sep 2023

SOTD-20230922-setup.png

Just a shave using my current kill soap+cream combination. Also second shave with the Yaqi Tachi SS SE but with a Wizamet blade, oh what a difference a blade can make, the Tachi still feels a bit aggressive but I adjusted my shave angle more towards 20 degrees and managed wonderful clean, close smooth DFS, near BBS.

THE GEAR:
  • Pre Shave: Suavecito Brushless Shaving Cream
  • Brush: Omega 10049 with 26/62 Boar
  • Soap: Scruffy Fella Goat’s Milk Shaving Soap [A]
  • Cream: Musgo Real Lavender
  • Bowl: Yaqi ABS White “Duke”
  • Razor: Yaqi Tachi SS SE + Razzo AL Handle
  • Blade: Wizamet SI half DE (1)
  • Splash: Imperial Bergamot AS with added Menthol
  • Balm: Proraso Refreshing Pre-Barba (Green)
  • After Shave: 4711 AS
  • Moisturiser (Later): MooGoo Hydrate Cream [A]
[A] = Australian Made

Been a while since I used this razor and soap and I was quickly reminded just what a fantastic combo they are.

Blackland Vector + Kai Captain Mild
M7, Ivory, Manchurian
APR Fenchurch
Excellent combination good sir and the brushes ain't too bad either! (y)

19 to 22 September 2023

All 6/8 pre-1924 T.R. Cadman "Bengall" SRs finished and maintained on diamond pasted balsa re-scaled in various timbers with lead wedges (for balance). I keep all toes sharp and pointy.

jWbZT1v.jpg

Tuesday = spike point in Queensland black bean
Wednesday = American (square) point in Burmese teak
Thursday = Spanish point in Western Australian jarrah
Friday = French point in New South wales sliver ash

All edges shaved equally as well. Of the four, Thursday won out as it requires the most concentration when shaving.

I have a Dutch (round) point to complete this collection. Just need to clean it up and re-scale with some wattle (aka snakewood) scales.
Very nice, I like your French Point in particular. Did you grind those yourself? And I presume the handsome scales are new?

Very nice, I like your French Point in particular. Did you grind those yourself? And I presume the handsome scales are new?
I ground all the point styles and cleaned up the blades. All the scales were made and assembled by me. There is one more to go, a Dutch point with wattle (aka snake wood) scales. That will give me a weekday set.

I ground all the point styles and cleaned up the blades. All the scales were made and assembled by me. There is one more to go, a Dutch point with wattle (aka snake wood) scales. That will give me a weekday set.
Since you clearly enjoy an "assertive" point, why do you bother with a Dutch point, which is pretty much as muted as you can get?

Test shave for three razors I honed two days ago.

Razors: The politician, Solingen (x2) and Stara 905 (Solingen as well)
Brush: Vulfix VS/1 or Cyril R. Salter (the jury is still out on that one)
Soap: Jabonman "Vetiver de Haiti"
After shave: Catie's Bubbles "Black Bergamot"
EdT: Lalique "Encre Noir" (not pictured)
OUBw4jg.jpg

The razors came out rather nice. The white Politician, I'd give that one a 9.7/10. The black sister, that one needs more retouching, possibly a 7.5/10. The Stara, a 9/10.

Status
Not open for further replies.