Not open for further replies.
Getting my "Urban Viking" on

OByRCL9.jpg

Pre-shave:- Shower
Soap/Aftershave:- OSP- Urban Viking
Brush:- M&F Heritage II brush in ivory and ebonite with 26mm fan
Razors:- EverSharp-Schick Type G \ Filarmonica #13
Blade:- NOS Vintage Schick injector (3)

The Type G is a little mild and I have a 2:00 shadow also tugging on 1st pass after a few days, so I complimented it with a straight 1st pass
OSP - Urban Viking is a nice scent - apparently very similar to Dior Sauvage. Notes of bergamot, ambroxan, geranium, pepper, lavender, vetivert and patchouli.

The container remained the same, it was the soap itself. I made a picture of the difference a couple of years ago. The scent wasn't hugely different, just different. And yes, I have just ordered myself another tub while I can. I've been out of it for a while, but missing it.
Sounds like I'm not missing out on any dramatic change from the original then.

Pre-shave:- Cool Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Whipped Dog High Mountain Badger in Tall Resin Black 24/55mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Stirling Soap Co ~ Sharp Dressed Man
Razor/Blade:- Blackbird Lite SB Polished / Feather Hi-Stainless #2
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Moisturising Cream:- Aveeno Active Naturals Daily Fragrance-Free (for autumn & winter season)
Fragrance:- Lagerfeld Classic

I'm glad I'm not alone in being a fan of Two Kings (though it was better before the unannounced reformulation that changed the colour from grey/green to reddish-brown). I can't place the scent either, but it does remind me of a Penhaligon bath soap I used to have. (Damn, when was the last time I've had a bath? :unsure: )

I've been telling myself that I'll get some of the old Eau Sauvage. It used to be my Dad's trademark scent, and I wasn't game to jump on it, but now he's been in his grave (or rather up in smoke) for nearly a year, it might be time...
But what a great way to remember him, keep his scent alive

Indeed, and it's still a great scent, even if it is almost as old as I am. And it's not being promoted by Johnny Depp. I don't know what Dior thought they were doing there, but maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it really is a good look to have your products promoted by a [-n alleged] wife-beater... :unsure:

[MOD edit]

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed, and it's still a great scent, even if it is almost as old as I am. And it's not being promoted by Johnny Depp. I don't know what Dior thought they were doing there, but maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it really is a good look to have your products promoted by a [-n alleged] wife-beater... :unsure:

[MOD edit]
Dior contracted him in 2015 before Amber accused him in 2016 🤷‍♂️

Contracts can be cancelled. That's why they're not one-page documents.

Re the mod edit: the fact that he won on his second roll of the dice in an American court doesn't negate the fact that he was judged guilty in a British court.

... and the fact of a guilty verdict in an overseas court doesn't remove the potential liability of a publisher, in this case the Big Kahuna personally, under Australian defamation laws.

Will the said Mr Depp care about a little Aussie shaving forum - unlikely.

Am I paranoid and overly risk adverse - almost certainly :)

SOTD – Wed 31 May 2023

SOTD-20230531-setup.png

Shave Result: The Whispers vegan soap has a firm texture, from which I scooped a level half teaspoon which quickly produced a rich creamy medium density lather. Lather performance was excellent all round, a solid Tier 2 soap performer in my book. The lather scent is an awesome sweetish sensual wood, honey and spices aroma, lather scent strength 6/10.
My impressions of the new DSC Legend SE razor after two shaves is it’s about medium aggression with some blade feel, less aggressive than the RR Hawk V2, I found it easy to find a good angle and the resulting shave was smooth and efficient with near BBS with no irritations.

The Gear:​

• Pre Shave: Natio Men Shave Gel [A]
  • Brush: Billy Goat “Sunfire” with 25/53 Lansky G5 knot (similar to OUMO G5 but slightly less dense) [A]
  • Soap: Whispers From The Woods - All Things Nice [A]
  • Bowl: Whispers From The Woods [A]
  • Razor: Dscosmetic Legend SS SE with Classic Handle
  • Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild AC (2)
  • Splash: TN Dickinsons Witch Hazel with Menthol & T.Tree oil
  • Balm: Natio Men Calming After Shave [A]
  • After Shave: Malizia UOMO Vetyver AS
  • Moisturiser: Swisse Daily Face Moisturiser for Men [A]
[A] = Australian Product

Swapped the injectors out for a Gem type SE (y)

YSUoqVY.jpg

Pre-shave:- Shower
Soap/Aftershave:- OSP- Urban Viking
Brush:- NCWoodDesign Bog Oak 26/50 untreated boar
Razors:- Gem Junior
Blade:- Gem (1)

Status
Not open for further replies.