Shave of the Day Thread - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
RYTp7Yul.jpg

Soap: Meissner Tremonia Moroccan Rhassoul
Brush: Omega 10083
Razor: S.K. Colling & Co.
Lovely shave plus an attempted clean up of the hairline on my neck which resulted in a jagged line and a roasting from Mrs Pbgoose. :) Anyone else trim their neckline with the straight razor?

Pre-shave:- Cool Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Yaqi Sagrada Familia Two Band Badger 22/50mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Stirling Soap Co ~ Sharp Dressed Man
Razor/Blade:- Fine Marvel / Wizamet Super Iridium #2
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Moisturising Cream:- Aveeno Active Naturals Daily Fragrance-Free (for autumn & winter season)
Fragrance:- Lagerfeld Classic

SOTD – Sat 10 Jun 2023

SOTD-20230610-setup.png

With the hard MWF soap I slice a small portion off the puck (about 0.7gm) that I press into the bottom of my bowl, then I just moisten the soap with a wet finger before building a rich creamy lather starting with a damp brush and slowly added 20ml of water. MWF lather always gives me excellent performance. To my nose MWF has a light clean soapy, powdery, slightly spicy aroma. Fatip Gentile & Cool blade gave a wonderful mild DFS.

The Gear:​

• Pre Shave: Suavecito Brushless Shaving Cream
  • Brush: Hushua “Cloud And Green Fields” with 24/53 APShave 2BED Fan knot
  • Soap: Mitchell’s Wool Fat (MWF) - Tallow Version
  • Bowl: Soup Bowl with Non-slip shower sticker
  • Razor: Fatip Gentile with Grande handle
  • Blade: Lord Cool Super Stainless (2)
  • Astringent Splash: TN Dickinsons Witch Hazel with Menthol & T.Tree oil
  • Balm: Lucky Tiger Vanishing Cream
  • After Shave: Clubman Pinaud AS Lotion
  • Moisturiser: Nivea Men Creme (Face-Body-Hands)

Last edited:
Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Paladin McInroy Legacy shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Stirling Soap Co Haverford shaving soap
Razor: Blutt WR-1 razor (0.99 mm)
Blade: Polsiver 'Brown' (1)
Post-shave: Stirling Soap Co Haverford splash
Fragrance: Stirling Soap Co Haverford EDT

eGFfhwzl.jpg

CF93-ABC0-669-D-4043-BEFD-5-C03-CE45-DE10-1-105-c.jpg

First time shaving with the cheapo kamisori that I forgot I had was not the blood bath I thought it'd be. It was painstakingly slow due to working against the muscle memory from using DEs, and the finish on this kamisori being quite draggy on the face. While the shave is appreciably a step above in closeness I don't think I care to put in the practice to gain the necessary proficiency. More a novelty for me at the moment.

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Pears soap
Brush: Yaqi Rainbow Pony
Soap: DR Harris - Windsor cream
Razor: ΑΛΦΑ Claymore Evolution
Blade: Schick Proline
Post-shave: Shower, TND witch hazel, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+ Invisible Fluid
COTD: Gambella sun-dried, Ethiopia

The last few days...

Camping in a caravan on the East coast of Tasmania in the middle of winter doesn't really lend itself to long, indulgent shaves (on the last trip, I sort of did it anyway, though that was South Australia). So apart from one no-shave day (that I regretted by lunchtime) I've been pursuing 1-pass socially acceptable shaves - and trying to resist the temptation to rub my head in criticism. :rolleyes: Back to civilisation in the boonies on Tuesday... 🥳

Incidentally, I don't think I'll buy the DRH cream again. I picked it up as a second-best to the stick for travel, but I don't like it nearly as much. Interesting that a company with their high profile often runs out of all Windsor products. :unsure:

Incidentally, I don't think I'll buy the DRH cream again. I picked it up as a second-best to the stick for travel, but I don't like it nearly as much. Interesting that a company with their high profile often runs out of all Windsor products. :unsure:
There was a panic buy at Connaught Shaving in the UK and all the D.R. Harris refill pucks were sold out very fast instead of lavender which is still available, they're must've been a very good reason for this panic buy, because, MWF went to veggie palm and everybody in UK is very worried about the D.R. Harris triple milled tallow may end up switching over to veggie crap sooner.

Last edited:
... everybody in UK is very worried about the D.R. Harris triple milled tallow may end up switching over to veggie crap sooner.
DRH uses both palm fat and tallow. Sometimes palm fat appears first in the list, sometimes second and no-one seems to notice any difference, least of all myself, it's a definite favourite here. I've just ordered myself one of the nice sheesham (mahogany-look) bowls of the Windsor, even though I'm not even close to needing it yet.

5kt3fxh.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glicerlanolina Soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Kent BLK8 Silvertip Badger
Cream: Fitjar Islands Fjellheim
Razor: Wolfman WR-1
Blade: Vintage NOS Schick Plus Platinum (5)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, Alpa Windsor Aftershave Lotion
Scent: APR Fougère Bourbon Rose EdP

Really nice cream. The Maker describes the scent thus: "As if you rolled in the juniper bushes on your way over the mountain."

OK, so let's pick this apart.

You've said on many occasions that DRH is great stuff, and that it would be one of your go-to retirement soaps. (And I totally agree.) (y)

DRH (or whoever makes their soap) uses both veg and tallow fats to make their soap.

And it's fucking great stuff.

Right?

So what's your problem?

QED.

A man who won't learn is either dead or incapable of learning. To me, there's not much difference.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.