Slant Blade Razor, what ya reckon?

Marlow

is watching you faceterbate...
I have been looking at pictures of razors (as you do) and I have been slightly

captivated by the look of these slants with their crooked evil grins.

They sound good and Men's Biz have just got some in stock.

I have read stuff around the inter-web which seems rather positive

but what are the impressions that any of you guys may have?

I am not really sure if it is worth the outlay and is the shave much different ?

I've used one and was underwhelmed but YMMV

I had one for a while. Can smooth out a shave or some rough blades, but still pretty aggressive IIRC.

Good idea. Better off getting a quality open comb razor before a slant.

They can also be quite difficult to put a blade in correctly. I know that many people have difficulties with that then cut themselves as the blade is not positioned in the razor correctly.

I had one for a while. Can smooth out a shave or some rough blades, but still pretty aggressive IIRC.
I have one (in fact it may even be that one :) ) and with a feather, I find it's good for a quick shave. I can get a socially acceptable shave is one pass, good for thos morning where you are running late and really need a tidy up!

Good to know KJ but I have turned off them and decided on something else,which I haven't asked about yet.

But thanks for that insight.

Well I love my open comb (NEW) and am thinking it's time for a guillotine. The Merkur 37c looks interesting. Hmmm….
Any other thoughts - especially on the 37c particularly?

All the thoughts I got were that they were sort of ................well a fashion sort of thing, so I never got one.

My enthusiasm was somewhat dampened.

But go for it if you must and let us know how it goes, I will definitely read with interest.

All the thoughts I got were that they were sort of ................well a fashion sort of thing, so I never got one.
My interest was more with the theory and the physics of the slant. Sort of makes sense that a blade will work differently if the cutting edge is not perpendicular to the surface of the skin….also sound like it can make for more horrify injuries if the twist is not set right or the user action is wrong and turns scrape to slice.

But go for it if you must and let us know how it goes, I will definitely read with interest.
Maybe I will. Probably the least I can do after the role I played in your parting with money for soft French face-slapper (a.k.a. Plisson synthetic)

The slant work differently for sure. I didn't find it better. You can't really go wrong with it, it just looks mean. Use it like nay other razor and it'll be just as safe.

My interest was more with the theory and the physics of the slant. Sort of makes sense that a blade will work differently if the cutting edge is not perpendicular to the surface of the skin….also sound like it can make for more horrify injuries if the twist is not set right or the user action is wrong and turns scrape to slice.

During a shave I slant a standard razor loads of times to get in to corners or buff spots that can take it. Conversely I'm sure that if my razor was a slant I'd be using it in perpendicular mode loads of times. Unless you rigidly shave exactly along parallel lines on each pass I can't see what advantage a slant will give you. Having said that I've never used one and always thought it a bit of a gimmick really.

Last edited:
Yeah I tend to put my own slant on a lot of the time, so never saw the point once I tried one. It added aggressiveness to what is essentially a 34C platform too.

FWIW I've had a 37c for a couple of years. I have to say I did somewhat suspect that the 'slant' feature was a bit of a gimmick. That said I definitely found it more aggressive than the my since departed 34c. I found that you had to use very sharp blades in the slant, to do otherwise resulted in an unpleasant shave. But when used with a sharp blade it's able to give me a one pass - WTG shave that is near the equal of a 2 pass shave from most other razors.

So essentially I'm completely agreeing with kjparker. It's IMHO far and away the best ONE PASS razor you can buy.

I really think the horror stories and tales of it's aggression are very hyped - razors like the 2011 Muhle R41 are something to be very cautious of but not the slants. I've never found them any more liable to cut/weeper me than any other average aggression razor.

Again concur with Monsta, in saying that any newish user should get a few standard safety razors first and then perhaps one of these for diversity down the track. They do tend to get a lot of folks trying them and selling as it wasn't quite their thing but then others won't sell them ever as they're truly different.

Good thoughts NtK. I've got the 37c and find its great for long stubble and the single pass/quick shave.

Re: loading the blade. I've heard that people get a wonky blade due to incorrect loading, especially with this razor more than most. I have learnt to put the blade in the cap, centre and push it down with my fingers at the centre whilst holding the overlapping ends tightly with the other hand (so it remains flush against the head cap). And then apply the second half (it's a two piece) on top for a tight, centred blade. I've never had a problem with any crooked blade.

I do basically the same. Have had perhaps a few times where blade alignment wasn't quite right but it could have just been perception as after tightening it was all fine.

Sold my 37c - nothing special about it - actually uncomfortable for me...

Sold my Hoffritz travel - but only because of the material else one of the best razors I have ever tried...

Have 3 RR slants - I think that says it all - easiest shave hands down