The WOLF(man) razor

Not just wishful thinking @Leisureguy and @alfredus - I was communicating with James and (tongue in cheek) asked if I could place an advance order for a WR1-TS (Torqued Slant). His response was :

"I am planning a slant design and I'll make sure to let you know once I've got a few made and finished.

Regards,
James"

Sounds like it is likely to happen sooner rather than later! @Leisureguy you may want to reconsider buying a WR1-DC until the format of his Slant becomes a bit clearer - OC, SB, Hybrid or multiple options. No matter what, getting on his advance notice list would be a solid idea for anyone who's interested...

I knew James is working on a slant, but I am more than happy to wait a bit and see how they turn out before ordering one...unfortunately they are not for free :(

Got to see alf's on Sunday. It looks way better in the flesh than in the pictures.

But you might be lucky enough to be able to grab a pair of R M Williams boots for the same price ....

WOLFMAN are so way overpriced, freight to AU for a single head (base/cap) is a whopping US$50 and they have put up prices to LOWER demand so they can keep up with orders. Your better off going for the ABOVE THE TIE razors or cheaper again iKons IMO. My two favourite razors are the ATT-S2 and the Parker 26C on a MR5 handle. The 26C feels better for shaving with as its a smooth but close shaver and costs AU$30 delivered while the ATT-S2 was US$185 plus P&H/conversion to AU$. Both give great 18hrs+ BBS

WOLFMAN are so way overpriced, freight to AU for a single head (base/cap) is a whopping US$50 and they have put up prices to LOWER demand so they can keep up with orders. Your better off going for the ABOVE THE TIE razors or cheaper again iKons IMO. My two favourite razors are the ATT-S2 and the Parker 26C on a MR5 handle. The 26C feels better for shaving with as its a smooth but close shaver and costs AU$30 delivered while the ATT-S2 was US$185 plus P&H/conversion to AU$. Both give great 18hrs+ BBS

You should get your facts right - the prices of the Wolfman are CAN$ and not US$ and the actual freight charge for the razor - tracked and insured of course - was 70-80 CAN$ and James only charges 50 CAN$. ATT are very nice razors as well - I do have a R1 Kronos myself. Many here would regard them also as way overpriced - but that's very subjective, don't you think?

Please don't bash products, if you haven't tried them. ESPECIALLY IN CAPITALS ;)

I was told it was a loss making for him at CN$50 to post a head (cap/base) and all i can say is BULLSHIT. Added to the over inflated price anyway i cant recommend anyone outside of Canada or maybe the US get one. iKons are not cheap but at U$70-130 they are way better priced and freight $10-15. I have expensive stuff, im not a scrooge but i dont care that sort of money is nutzo! ATT are well worth what they are asking but then i understand the cost of CNC all stainless steel construction. Woolfman's have been increased prices to decrease sales volume as is his right, freight is outstandingly expensive and reasults also in fewer sales but since his main market is USA i get that. Dosent mean i have to like it, or reccomend it to others.

Hey @alfredus & @srhardy , my 'virtual' balls are very much still aching from an almighty & prolly deserved bollocking I got a few minutes ago - so I'm reluctant to put myself again in harms way but I think you've both got some good & very valid points.

Maybe there's some poor communication on Wolfman's website but the quoted postal prices do at face value alone seem a tad excessive. I can see why for many who've been able to tolerate their already very high price this might be a bit of a rude shock - but hey sending a 100g small parcel across a suburb will cost ~$7 in Australia so perhaps its one where local knowledge is needed to assess how excessive it might really be. :)

In all market segments absolute premium products command a price premium that well and truly goes above and beyond normal rationale - based on the stunning pix @alfredus has posted up I think the Wolfman razors kind of deserve/befit such a premium. They're clearly well above Weber, ATT, Ikon's and other SS small scale artisan razors and to be fair @alfredus has IIRC had first hand knowledge of most of these so is perhaps the best person on this entire forum to make such a call.

That said, I don't believe @srhardy was bashing the actual razor - rather he was perhaps a lil clumsily questioning its relative value vs other $100+ razors - which I think IS a fair point but everyone who buys a Wolfman knows they're paying a significant premium to have perhaps the highest quality hand made razor ever made (not including very extreme & precious material ones) - so value was never really a factor and as such it's somewhat a moot point i.e comparing the 'value as a car' of a Bentley to a Kia. :)

Anyway I'm cutting my losses while I'm vaguely still ahead - going to go sit down and allow my testes to slowly come back down from my chest cavity. @Monsta_AU 's kick is a good one! :sick:

Last edited:
Where does a Pils fit into that list @Nick the Knife ?

Also, this may be one time using eBay and GSP is justified!

Where does a Pils fit into that list @Nick the Knife ?!
Gee pal, you've got me on that one as whilst I have a few razors myself nothing as spesh as this...I'll leave that to @alfredus and the other borgeois members. ;)

That said I'd still think the Pils is definitely below the Wolfman, if for no other reason that the slick handle on every variant of it is IMHO anyway - a very UN-German piece of engineering. I'd imagine many of them would end up being dropped. Otherwise they look great but a bit of knurling would have gone a long way.

All of them are far too good for me - don't mind my drool and face prints as I look on through the shop window.

oneblade's website says its razor is the best in the known universe and its only US$299 ($1000 for the engraved edition, now thats markup!) and a whopping US$64 to AU and as stated thats wolfman territory! You can listen to the guys talk it over here https://soundcloud.com/con-kazantzidis/cutting-edge-wet-shave-podcast-episode-6 and BTW, the wolfman were talking cap and base, the oneblade comes in a whopping leather box! But nick, rest assured im all in favor of a free market, i just choose to spend my $ elsewhere. Wolfman can eat my Parker 26C ass!

OK, first things first: this is the actual label on the package from Wolfman I received:

ShippingLabelCropedS_zpsvrmq3uco.jpg

He clearly paid 70CAN$$ for shipping and charged only 50 CAN$. I hate all those websites, that offer free shipping to XXX (mostly the US) on orders over certain amounts, but give not the tiniest discount on the same order to Australia - James clearly does give a discount on shipping.

Now: does he use the cheapest method? Probably not, but it is full tracked, fully insured and why should he risk loosing his money? He knows, that if he uses a cheap shipping option and the package is lost, you can make a PP claim and he looses the money. You don't like the Canadian Postal prices (and I know they are crazy - a vinyl record cost more than 50$ uninsured to get here) - take it out on Canada Post not on Wolfman.

Second: I got my Wolfman for 225 CAN$ - that is very similar to an ATT at ~180US$ - but as others have said, the craftsmanship on the Wolfman is better. But this might be my subjective view. Also the way it shaves is only my subjective view.

HOWEVER: you can customise your Wolfman (different blade gap, handle size, DIFFERENT MATERIAL, etc.) at no additional cost and I would argue this made the Wolfman a bargain at 225CAN$. So much so, that you have to wait 3-4 months to get one! With the new price point it might not be a bargain any more, but IMO still justified.

I absolutely understand, if you say paying 200+ $ on a razor is crazy - absolutely. But @srhardy was arguing that the Wolfman is a bad deal compared to the ATT...now that's what made the Wolf haul :D :D :D

Again, I don't want to say what people should buy or not - I just didn't like the (IMO unjustified) criticism.

OK, first things first: this is the actual label on the package from Wolfman I received:

ShippingLabelCropedS_zpsvrmq3uco.jpg

He clearly paid 70CAN$$ for shipping and charged only 50 CAN$. I hate all those websites, that offer free shipping to XXX (mostly the US) on orders over certain amounts, but give not the tiniest discount on the same order to Australia - James clearly does give a discount on shipping.

Now: does he use the cheapest method? Probably not, but it is full tracked, fully insured and why should he risk loosing his money? He knows, that if he uses a cheap shipping option and the package is lost, you can make a PP claim and he looses the money. You don't like the Canadian Postal prices (and I know they are crazy - a vinyl record cost more than 50$ uninsured to get here) - take it out on Canada Post not on Wolfman.

Second: I got my Wolfman for 225 CAN$ - that is very similar to an ATT at ~180US$ - but as others have said, the craftsmanship on the Wolfman is better. But this might be my subjective view. Also the way it shaves is only my subjective view.

HOWEVER: you can customise your Wolfman (different blade gap, handle size, DIFFERENT MATERIAL, etc.) at no additional cost and I would argue this made the Wolfman a bargain at 225CAN$. So much so, that you have to wait 3-4 months to get one! With the new price point it might not be a bargain any more, but IMO still justified.

I absolutely understand, if you say paying 200+ $ on a razor is crazy - absolutely. But @srhardy was arguing that the Wolfman is a bad deal compared to the ATT...now that's what made the Wolf haul :D :D :D

Again, I don't want to say what people should buy or not - I just didn't like the (IMO unjustified) criticism.

Well argued mate.
I hear you. Similar tripe is slung at the Feather AS-D2. I can afford it and I like it. Opinions to the contrary are those of others.

Wolfman can eat my Parker 26C ass!
Are we comparing some mass-produced zumak plated razor with a short-run high quality stainless steel razor. Hmmmm....OK. Don't get me wrong I enjoy my DE89, but I'd never compare it with my Weber, Feather or even vintage Gillettes for that matter from a quality stand-point. It's apples and oranges. But, hey, whatever....I like fruit salad.

I know, when i emailed him he sent me the links to see for myself. My point is this isnt a whole razor with handle/case and packing; Im disputing that a simple razor head should cost so much! You can post in a padded postpack and i would guess $10-15CND max.

I know, when i emailed him he sent me the links to see for myself. My point is this isnt a whole razor with handle/case and packing; Im disputing that a simple razor head should cost so much! You can post in a padded postpack and i would guess $10-15CND max.
Again: yes he could. But if it gets lost, he would loose the money! Or would you just say OK, if a 300$ parcel of yours gets lost in the post? It's called fully insured and fully tracked - the only way paypal accepts it and he can get the money back from Canada Post...

Ill vote with my money and spend it elsewhere. Its no loss to me, i been on the wait list for months and decided for my birthday to get the S6, for US$90 and it comes in a tin, 3 heads/cap and handle and thats to my door - they dont seem to have a problem. I love capitalism and if you got what you've always wanted at a price your happy with then lucky you. I got 20% off ATT and im very happy with my S2 as well. The more offers the better for us all!