The WOLF(man) razor

Are they not just out of stock re weber ?
Is what I've been led to believe, so am playing the waiting game :)
An Aussie landed one for the right price (usd to aud parity and being sold for $55iirc) before then may convince me to s top waiting though.

Mine won't be for sale for quiet some time anyway (IF at all). Have two other razors that will go before that, then I will hopefully also have a BBS-1, might try some more ATT plates...won't happen before the end of the year/next year...

If you post them on the right boards you can easily sell them for 100US$+ at the moment...but suspect every day Weber doesn't have one for sale, price will go up even more.

Are they not just out of stock re weber ?
Is what I've been led to believe, so am playing the waiting game :)
An Aussie landed one for the right price (usd to aud parity and being sold for $55iirc) before then may convince me to s top waiting though.

I read somewhere that Weber have stopped making the heads. Only handles now.

I read somewhere that Weber have stopped making the heads. Only handles now.
I have heard the same thing. No longer any heads/full razors.

$55 is a steal. They used to sell for at least US$70 with a few dollars for postage within the US.

Edit: Sorry for another thread hijack @alfredus- first the Eclipse RR and now the Weber... [emoji11]

Weber: I believe he has stopped production of the heads, though whether temporary or permanent I don't know. His website now does not even mention heads, so if he's simply suspended making them, he apparently is considering a long suspension. I have three Webers: DLC head (the original, which led to this Sharpologist article), the ARC (my favorite), and the polished head. They're all good, but they don't feel so crisp and precise as the Wolfman WR1-SB or the ATT-R1.

Feather: The Feather AS-D1 (I got one of the good ones) and D2 seem a little more comfortable but don't have so clear a shaving feel as Wolfman and ATT.

Eclipse Red Ring: I have one without the case. It had some brassing so I had it replated in rhodium. I like it a lot and think the reinforced open-comb idea is quite clever, as is the base magnet.

WR1-SB and BBS-1: I mentioned elsewhere that the WR1 is somewhat more comfortable than the BBS-1, at least for me, and both are quite efficient. Very fine work, but production will always be slow, I fear. But I don't quite understand CNC machining: would it not be possible simply to provide the file to another CNC machine (of the same model, perhaps, though certainly files should be interchangeable) and, using the same steel, get the same razor? I'm too ignorant of machining to know.

Thanks LG. It's great to have your thoughts considering you've used so many razors. (Of course, each prefers a certain quality in a razor - materials, efficiency, comfort, etc - so it'll still be each to their own. But it's great to get an idea of each. [emoji106])

Why the ARC over the DLC and normal head? Does the material provide a greater comfort? Or is the head a slightly different design?

It would be interesting to hear what you think of the different heads of the Wolfman...

I think all three Weber heads are the same except for the coating or lack thereof. The ARC coating, a kind of chrome coating used on medical instruments, as I recall, seemed to pick up certain flat-lying whiskers quite well. But I like the DLC as well---it was just that the ARC was a little different and seemed to perform a little better. I only have one Wolfman Razor, but I am on a wait-list for the WR1-DC, and of course I've requested a slant.

I don't know that I agree that there's little room for innovation in head design, BTW, something that JugV2 said in another thread:

Really what changes or ground-breaking advances can they make in 3 piece razors?

Stainless steel shaft...decent head...vary the weight a bit maybe for a different result and watch the fanbois gush over it.

Meh.​
First, there's the slant, and we have two variations: the twisted blade (like all the current slants except one) and the untwisted blade (the one exception: iKon Shavecraft #102). And then there are adjustable possibilities, though in modern razors the Progress pretty much has that locked up. (I consider the Progress, a cost-engineered Apollo Mikron to my eye, superior to the Futur or Vision.) And there's the dual-comb design, introduced by iKon in the OSS. You have the two-piece razor with a rotating handle (Pils and a couple of iKons). You have lots of variation in head design: Pils, iKon's various heads, the ATT approach, Wolfman's razors, even Parker with the 24C and 26C, plus lots more.

There haven't been too many advances on the "open comb" idea. What about changing the size and shape of the teeth? Or how they function based on design?

The Phoenix Double Open comb recently copied an earlier razor (Grand Shave King). That double comb feature was also a (minor) part of the Eclipse Red Ring.

But apart from that, how many modern designs are changing the comb? I would say that the demand for the slant is picking up and interest in more efficiency in razor design. People are time poor and look for efficiency in a razor. I see the Open Comb as an efficient design that could be made more efficient or even more functional. Plus, they look terrific. [emoji6]

There's room for evolution and I've a few ideas rattling around.

It occurred to me that the soundbox razor idea that I described in another thread might have a relatively easy design path: 3-D printing could probably test prototypes for sound amplification. The razors would not be sturdy enough to use for real use, but you could probably shave enough to see how well it amplifies the cutting sound. Then, as you get the design kinks worked out, you could then try machining one or working on a mold, though I think the latter is more expensive. And 3-D printers are relatively inexpensive these days---and razors are relatively small (suitable for 3-D printing). That could be one way to go about i.

WR1-SB and BBS-1: I mentioned elsewhere that the WR1 is somewhat more comfortable than the BBS-1, at least for me, and both are quite efficient. Very fine work, but production will always be slow, I fear. But I don't quite understand CNC machining: would it not be possible simply to provide the file to another CNC machine (of the same model, perhaps, though certainly files should be interchangeable) and, using the same steel, get the same razor? I'm too ignorant of machining to know.

I think they still have to be hand polished at the end and that's the where problems arise. Also the machine cost a fortune (500k+ I believe) and I think razor production is economically not viable. Joe (from Italian barber) posted somewhere, how long it takes to produce 1 head (I think ~30 min.) and so at 100-200$ a pop you need a lot of razors to get your money back, pay the machinist, raw materials, electricity...

I think all three Weber heads are the same except for the coating or lack thereof. The ARC coating, a kind of chrome coating used on medical instruments, as I recall, seemed to pick up certain flat-lying whiskers quite well. But I like the DLC as well---it was just that the ARC was a little different and seemed to perform a little better. I only have one Wolfman Razor, but I am on a wait-list for the WR1-DC, and of course I've requested a slant.

I don't know that I agree that there's little room for innovation in head design, BTW, something that JugV2 said in another thread:

Really what changes or ground-breaking advances can they make in 3 piece razors?

Stainless steel shaft...decent head...vary the weight a bit maybe for a different result and watch the fanbois gush over it.

Meh.​
First, there's the slant, and we have two variations: the twisted blade (like all the current slants except one) and the untwisted blade (the one exception: iKon Shavecraft #102). And then there are adjustable possibilities, though in modern razors the Progress pretty much has that locked up. (I consider the Progress, a cost-engineered Apollo Mikron to my eye, superior to the Futur or Vision.) And there's the dual-comb design, introduced by iKon in the OSS. You have the two-piece razor with a rotating handle (Pils and a couple of iKons). You have lots of variation in head design: Pils, iKon's various heads, the ATT approach, Wolfman's razors, even Parker with the 24C and 26C, plus lots more.

1. Stainless Steel adjustable - loved my Progress, but just didn't want to keep a razor in the stable that could crumble to dust
2. Stainless Steel adjustable SLANT - now that would be something - I think a lot of people would line up for that one!

Back on topic: 5th shave with the Wolf - and everything was great again! Silky smooth result with such ease and pleasure. The blade pulled at the end a bit - I think I will go back to the 2 shaves per blade. I will now trial other blades, before posting here again - what I can say for sure already though: this one is definitely a keeper!

Sounds like you're becoming quite attached to your Wolf. Keep us posted.

1. Stainless Steel adjustable - loved my Progress, but just didn't want to keep a razor in the stable that could crumble to dust
2. Stainless Steel adjustable SLANT - now that would be something - I think a lot of people would line up for that one!
Back off topic: I can see the point of 1 (although most vintage razors were brass with plating - so is today's alloys any worse at lasting?!)

#2. I can see the current love affair with the slant, but why would an adjustable be any improvement? I guess it's add to the efficiency but it's already nuts with a slant!

Chrome-plated Zamak razors fall short of plated brass razors in a couple of ways. First, if the chrome plating is breached, Zamak corrodes rapidly in the presence of water, whereas in the old Gillette nickel- or gold-plated brass razors, wearing through the plating ("brassing") was more a cosmetic issue than destructive of the razor. Second Zamak is much more brittle than brass, thus a dropped Zamak razor is much more apt to break (usually the cap's threaded stud breaking off in the handle) than a brass razor, which would more likely bend than break. Among other suggestions I made to the Western Razors guy was to make the caps of plated brass. I don't think baseplates are subject to much stress or wear (the wear is on the threads) and so plated Zamak is fine for baseplates. And that would solve another problem: if you slightly overtighten the handle on a Zamak razor when you put in a new blade, it weakens the metal and eventually it seems simply to come apart. A plated brass cap and stud again would solve the problem. I would guess Zamak is not only more brittle than brass but also lacks the tensile strength of brass.

I've had my Progress for years with no problems, but OTOH it's in a very large rotation and thus gets little day-to-day use.

Chrome-plated Zamak razors fall short of plated brass razors in a couple of ways. First, if the chrome plating is breached, Zamak corrodes rapidly in the presence of water, whereas in the old Gillette nickel- or gold-plated brass razors, wearing through the plating ("brassing") was more a cosmetic issue than destructive of the razor. Second Zamak is much more brittle than brass, thus a dropped Zamak razor is much more apt to break (usually the cap's threaded stud breaking off in the handle) than a brass razor, which would more likely bend than break. Among other suggestions I made to the Western Razors guy was to make the caps of plated brass. I don't think baseplates are subject to much stress or wear (the wear is on the threads) and so plated Zamak is fine for baseplates. And that would solve another problem: if you slightly overtighten the handle on a Zamak razor when you put in a new blade, it weakens the metal and eventually it seems simply to come apart. A plated brass cap and stud again would solve the problem. I would guess Zamak is not only more brittle than brass but also lacks the tensile strength of brass.

I've had my Progress for years with no problems, but OTOH it's in a very large rotation and thus gets little day-to-day use.

My cabinet is Zamak-free. Only brass, stainless steel and bakelite remains and is permitted.

Helpful and informative. Thanks!

Zamak definitely has a role in modern razor production: most consumers strongly prefer lower prices to higher prices, and Zamak razors can be made at a lower cost than brass or stainless steel razors. So the challenge is to focus on finding solutions to Zamak's weaknesses.

I think making caps of plated brass offers a good solution: the baseplate does not seem to suffer the failures that afflict the caps, since that are unthreaded and subject to little stress. And, though Zamak is brittle, it's not so brittle as bakelite; bakelite's advantages are easily molded, low cost, light weight, and resistance to corrosion. But a bakelite razor is apt to break if dropped on a hard surface. (I am very careful with my vintage Merkur white bakelite slant---the one on which the Stealth design is based.)

My own collection includes a fair number of Zamak razors, but then I have lots of breakable things that I like: china plates and bowls, vases, wineglasses, and so on. I don't go to great lengths to try to use only unbreakable objects. A smartphone or iPad is probably more apt than a Zamak razor to break if dropped and is also much more expensive than a Zamak razor, but people still buy them and carry them about. Taking care with a Zamak razor seems relatively easy. But, of course, YMMV.