U.S. Postal Service suspends deliveries to Australia

There are still flights - and you can fit a hell of a lot on a Dreamliner that is only carrying around 100 pax max, and only their luggage. You can fit even more on a B77W. The rest of the plane can be filled with cargo, and at the rates they can charge for it right now, it makes the flights profitable. They are just jacking the prices on pax because they can due to scarcity of quarrantine slots.

The contractual rates are for a set amount and rate for mail. Usually it is maybe 20% in terms of USPS/United, and 15% on AusPost/QANTAS. The rest of the MTOW is dedicated to freight. They will carry more mail if there is capacity - both cubic and weight - to take it. In current cases if they cannot get the freight, they would go without it and reduce fuel load.

If they are dropping mail, it is because the destination is not accepting. In this case, AusPost has not got the capacity to move it due to domestic packages.

NZ is now also offline for the US, as they get their trans-tasman'ed from Sydney.

It's on, Industrial action by the TWU again.
This is going to get ugly for deliveries.

https://amp-smh-com-au.cdn.ampproje...ide-pre-christmas-strike-20211007-p58y3z.html

giphy.gif

Nothing new about the timing. Unions across the board have always struck at the time of most inconvenience for the companies.
A little extra leverage for the game.

As long as we have beer for Christmas!

[or am I the only one old enough to remember the annual beer strike?]

My brother works for the Australian Post and he deals with a lot parcel coming all over the place and overseas, he told me last night that about three or four weeks ago, Australian Post is hiring five thousand people to keep up with the parcel demand during the pandemic this year.

Some bloody d :muted::muted: khead told in the newspaper and the whole news media, start Christmas shopping online early during the pandemic this year. That’s why the whole bloody issue with the parcel all over the place was blown out of control, and overseas that why they can’t keep up with the parcel issue.

Edit:- Australian Customs are having the same issue isn’t keeping up with the International overseas parcel during the pandemic this year, not enough people to control all the parcel checking and they need more custom’s border forces.

Last edited:
My brother works for the Australian Post and he deals with a lot parcel coming all over the place and overseas, he told me last night that about three or four weeks ago, Australian Post is hiring five thousand people to keep up with the parcel demand during the pandemic this year.

Some bloody d :muted::muted: khead told in the newspaper and the whole news media, start Christmas shopping online early during the pandemic this year. That’s why the whole bloody issue with the parcel all over the place was blown out of control, and overseas that why they can’t keep up with the parcel issue.

Edit:- Australian Customs are having the same issue isn’t keeping up with the International overseas parcel during the pandemic this year, not enough people to control all the parcel checking and they need more custom’s border forces.

Yup, Auspost hire extra Xmas casuals every year. (4000 last year) and finish them up mostly in mid January.
5000 sounds like a new high number though.

Auspost Gateway Facilities at the airports is where the Border Force perform their customs role on imported airmail goods, so double whammy there too.

From experience inside that company for many years I can tell you. If people didn't start xmas shopping early, the problem would be so much worse in December.
National logistics would almost grind to a halt. The backlog always clears, it just takes a while.

Auspost Gateway Facilities at the airports is where the Border Force perform their customs role on imported airmail goods, so double whammy there too.
My brother told me this will be a triple whammy issue, because, there will be Border Force performing their customs role checking all locals and international parcels at the Auspost Warehouse Facilities as well as an extra backup.

All this makes me very happy to be outta the game on buying anything further, except a whole bunch of stuff from the P&C Charity Auction 2021.

FTFY

Just a reminder that, there will be no such delays ...

... with the postage of the items you win in the Paste & Cut Charity Auction 2021 -

Opening for bidding: 12 noon, Sunday 17 October

Bidding closes: 12 noon, Saturday 23 October (unless auction extended, see rules)

with 26+ sensational lots covering all you could ever want or dream of in terms of shaving supplies, including a few surprises.

[Delivery times not actually guaranteed of course]

If the public sector is unable to handle that, then they probably should be privatised.
That would be about a weeks work for a crew of less than 100, both receipt, processing and dispatching where I worked previously.
I estimate that is less than 10x semi trailers.
OK. Name one national service that has improved as a result of privatisation. Just one. You'll forgive me if I don't wait though. :unsure:

If it comes down to a choice between AusPost and NoWays (or whatever they're calling themselves this week), I'll live with AusPost if it's all the same to you.

Looking at the tracking history of my most recent purchases (which haven't arrived yet), it seems that most of the delays are happening in the transit between the various Auspost facilities. My guess is that this is happening due to their people being sent to isolation post-exposure. If this is the case, this should change once the self-isolation rules change to factor in vaccination status.

If the public sector is unable to handle that, then they probably should be privatised.
That would be about a weeks work for a crew of less than 100, both receipt, processing and dispatching where I worked previously.
I estimate that is less than 10x semi trailers.

Private sector will just go on strike. Which is what is happening now. There is simple solution.

OPEN THE FREAKING BORDERS!!!!!

OK guys, I've found the problem -

Me.

Or at least my household.

My wife, my daughter and I all got a delivery from AusPost today (yes Saturday) and all came at different times with different drivers.

At least two of them parked about 4 houses down the street and walked up to drop the parcels in our mailbox/front door (I was out mowing and weeding)

Surely that cannot be efficient?

OK. Name one national service that has improved as a result of privatisation. Just one. You'll forgive me if I don't wait though. :unsure:

If it comes down to a choice between AusPost and NoWays (or whatever they're calling themselves this week), I'll live with AusPost if it's all the same to you.
Thus use of probably, as even I am hesitant, yet someone has to be better than this lot who can't figure their way out of trouble if there was a freaking massive neon exit sign guiding them!!!

OK guys, I've found the problem -

Me.

Or at least my household.

My wife, my daughter and I all got a delivery from AusPost today (yes Saturday) and all came at different times with different drivers.

At least two of them parked about 4 houses down the street and walked up to drop the parcels in our mailbox/front door (I was out mowing and weeding)

Surely that cannot be efficient?
Ban him????
The very same user is also spamming the forum with a topic of interest!!