Weekly Razor Review

Haircut and Shave - Titanium PO76 SB (USA)

An impeccable hand polished finish grabbed my eye as I opened the dedicated Pelican styled protective case Haircut and Shave now provide with their top tier razors. This finish is on par with the very best and it should be; the cost of the Titanium PO76 SB has already increased by 50% since I purchased mine. It’s a very uncluttered designed head and there is nowhere further metal could be removed while still maintaining its integrity. One slightly annoying feature is the short handle post on the cap, it is barely adequate in length and could easily have been extended by 3 or 4mm. Unfortunately, the thread fit is a bit sloppy also. As with its stainless steel sibling, the bulk of the weight in this razor is in the handle, but being titanium the handle heavy balance is not as pronounced when compared with its stainless steel sibling.

Haircut and Shave seem to have no allegiance to any one blade and included a tuck of Kai blades, Kai blade first up. First stroke – you could have knocked me over with a feather; this, the H&S Ti PO76 razor has personality. It’s up a notch in efficiency to Karve CB #D plus, and up an even longer step in blade feel. I was expecting a mundane shave and was pleasantly blown away by the performance. With that amount blade feel the Ti PO76 was never going to be silky smooth but there is no doubt about how close the shave finished up. It’s one of those audible razors that positively sings as it scythes down the stubble. There goes my theory on titanium razors being milder than their stainless steel siblings. This is a razor!!! and to think I nearly decided to bypass it.

Blades Used – Kai & Wizamet Polsilver
Material –
Titanium Grade 5
Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 60g
Head Width – 42.88mm
Handle Length – 95.02mm
Handle Diameter – 13.6mm
Availability – Haircut and Shave
Final Word – A performer

Awesome looking razor but at $800+ AUD it’s unreachable for me :(

Timeless Stainless Steel Slim Edition – 0.5mm Blade Gap (USA)

Delivery times for many overseas packages this year have been extended, in some cases past 13 weeks. I was pleasantly surprised to receive the Timeless Slim Edition in one week and this is why I’m able to review this razor so soon after release. I’ve always thought the design of the Timeless head to be bulky, shaved well, especially the 0.95mm but somehow the head always felt awkward. For that very reason Timeless have not been included in my must-do’s but the release of the Slim Edition has changed that. I have examples of most of the Timeless range and will get to review them in due time but for this week I’ll be looking at the new boy on the Timeless block, the Slim Edition 0.5mm. Timeless must have also heard these murmurs and have now produced a head with a much slimmer profile. Coming in one blade gap only, the Slim Edition 0.5mm is said to be aggressive; get the angle right and it’s smooth, use the wrong angle and it can be rough; sounds like good advice.

All parts of the Timeless range are interchangeable, however I purchased a complete razor and included both the SB & OC plates. When purchasing a Timeless razor numerous options are offered on all parts so you can custom the razor to your particular preference. For this razor I chose the polished version with the scalloped cap and the TRH1 handle. A shallow lather channel is machined under the edge of the blade and excess lather is then forced out through two large grooves at the back of the plate. On the Slim Edition 0.5mm, Timeless have bucked the emerging short centre post syndrome on caps and provided a positive length post. Timeless have a reputation for delivering an impeccable finish on their razors and to their credit this razor follows their traditional path.

Well, I must have got the angle right because I simply had nothing but wonderfully smooth shaves from the Slim Edition. Close – they certainly were and each shave resulted in one of those all day pleasant feels you get from using a really good razor. At no time did I feel intimidated that the razor was going to do anything untoward; very confidence inspiring. Icing on the cake for me was that the efficiency was slightly under that of a Karve CB level #D and Timeless had the right thing by providing an ever so pleasant amount of blade feel. There was never a hint even of the head being oversize or bulky and manoeuvrability felt good. This razor is going to put a lot of smiles on a lot of faces.

Blades Used – Gillette Platinum and Glatz
Material – 304 Stainless Steel
Blade Tab - Exposed
Weight – 107g
Head Width – 41.29mm
Handle Length – 85mm
Handle Diameter – 12.7mm
Availability – Timeless Razors
Final Word – Brilliant

2020 – Errol’s Razor of The Year
2020 started with me thinking that this was going to be the year of the stainless steel adjustable razor, there were a number of stainless steel adjustable razors released and murmurs of others that have not eventuated. There was even talk about brass and titanium adjustables coming. A brass adjustable did eventually make an appearance at the end of the year from Pearl but not from the earlier named source. No titanium adjustable yet but don’t be surprised if one eventuates from Rocnel sometime in 2021. About the end of April there was an avalanche of new model razors announced and in many cases it took the rest of the year for these announcements to become reality. Some razors, however are still waiting release like the titanium Karve and that was announced in April. New artisans also put their hand up for their slice of that wet shaving dollar; names such as Janus, Henson, Outlaw. In the last quarter of the year there were many new releases, just when you might have thought that world production of all commodities might have slowed down. Below is a summary of the 2020 released razors that I’ve had the opportunity to sample:
  • Rocnel Sailor Gen 3 – Released late Dec 2019 but not received till 2020, Stainless steel, adjustable, exceptional grip on the handle but no grip on the adjuster, heavy and not very manoeuvrable, generous amounts of blade feel, not bad.
  • Homelike Taiga Adjustable – Released late Dec 2019, Stainless steel with an optional titanium handle, open and safety bar options in the one razor, machined polished finish, quality machining, adjustable, mechanism based on the Gibbs design, neutral blade feel at lower settings but increases at the higher settings, used up to max #6, very smooth and close.
  • Janus Adjustable V1 – Toggle operation, adjustable, doubtless the most complicated modern razor, limited edition, stainless steel, slippery handle, excessive amounts of blade feel, very uncomfortable shave.
  • Classic Shaving Enoch SE – Design looks to have been borrowed from the Rx Asylum, sintered stainless steel, poor QA, pop holes in MIM processed metal, poor design with unsupported section of safety bar, poor workmanship, head pieces seize together, fiddly to load a blade, very good shave but the cap can ride on the face, second rate.
  • Outlaw – Razor produced in a tie up between Alpha Shaving and Executive Shaving, stainless steel, very well made, highly polished, positive blade feel, smooth, mid efficiency, shaves close, amazing.
  • Homelike Baikal – Machined stainless steel, based on the Rockwell 6S/ 6C idea. 2 x 2 sided plates, noisy, good blade feel and a good selection of efficiency options, dual sided plate makes for head heavy feel, very good.
  • Paradigm 2020 Diamondback – Quality finish – hexagonal handle with diamonds engraved along each flat, superior polish finish to the previous 2019 version, exceptional smooth shave, a real pleasure.
  • Razorock Hawk V3 – Stainless steel, SE, superbly machine polished finish, smooth and a pleasant amount of blade feel, mid efficiency, ticks all of the boxes.
  • Carbon Shaving Model Cx-Ti (All Titanium) – Polished titanium, some machine marks polished over, light weight, beautifully balanced, pleasing amount of blade feel and very smooth, not too much wrong with this razor.
  • Carbon Shaving Model Cx-Titan – Carbon fibre spindle in the handle with polished titanium, exceptionally light, machine polished, smooth and close shave under mid efficiency, rewarding.
  • Haircut and Shave, Stainless Steel, PO76 SB – Manufactured from the difficult to machine 17-4 stainless steel and then hand polished, medium efficiency, smooth but not as close as it could be, not bad.
  • Haircut and Shave Titanium PO76 SB – Grade 5 Titanium, impeccably presented, up a level in efficiency to the stainless steel version, good blade feel, this razor is a performer.
  • Fine Accoutrements – World’s Finest – a mix of old style mixed with modern thinking, no final QA, good polish job, mild
  • Razorock BBS – Stainless steel version of the same company’s Babysmooth, quality machine polish, smooth and close shave, neutral blade feel, mild.
  • Charcoal Goods, Everyday - Brass – Economical razor in the Charcoal Goods range, quality not compromised, less machining than most razors, very smooth shave and close, nigh on perfection.
  • Razorock Hawk OC V3 – SE, 316 stainless steel, quality machine polished finish, step up in performance to the SB variant, superb.
  • Henson Shaving, Made for Men – Aluminium, innovative design, precision machining, critical shaving angle, ridiculously mild, needs to have the cap redesigned, disappointing.
  • Timeless Slim Edition – quality machining and presentation, new slim design plate that is compatible with parts from the existing Timeless range, terrific shave, smooth and close, brilliant.
During 2020 I listed those razors I thought warranted further investigation for Razor of the Year as I completed each review. That list was not extensive and I did not have to go back and study every 2020 review in detail to select a winner. Carbon Shaving’s titanium siblings, but especially the carbon fibre handled Cx-Titan rubbed me the right way, expensive, great design, light weight, innovation and a magnificent shave; Charcoal Goods Everyday Razor is a simple, affordable razor that never set a foot wrong and delivered a wonderful shave; Razorock Hawk V3 and specifically the open comb variant done everything right, quality machine polish finish, smooth and right in my sweet spot for efficiency; Haircut and Shave Titanium PO76, well it’s titanium, impeccably finished and a true performer but was hampered by its spiralling purchase price; Timeless Slim Edition 0.5mm, quality manufacture, really pleasant shave, another brilliant razor.

If selecting any of the razors highlighted above, I very much doubt there would be many complaints from even the most fastidious user. For mine, these were the pick of the crop for 2020 but there can be only one, and for 2020 - Errol’s Razor of the Year is the Timeless Slim Edition 0.5mm. I purchased a complete razor, however the plate can be purchased separately and installed in your current Timeless. For the review I used a stainless steel SB razor but there is also an OC option available. Topping out the Slim Edition range are the titanium versions that are also available with both plates. This razor is fantastic and well deserving as my pick of the razors I’ve used in 2020.

Errol’s Razors of the Year
2017 Razorock Babysmooth Ti
2018 RAW Shaving RS-10
2019 Smart Helix Apollo
2020 Timeless Slim Edition 0.5mm

Last edited by a moderator:
ERROL’S TOP SHOTS

Double Edge – RAW Shaving RS-10; Wolfman WR1 & WR2; Charcoal Goods Gen 1 & Gen 2, Level #2; Seygus Zeppelin V2; Haircut and Shave NO75; Smart Helix Apollo & Apollo Light; Karve Christopher Bradley Brass & Stainless Steel, Level #D; Tatara Masamune & Masamune Nodachi, Gillette Aristocrat 1951; Weber; Tradere Gen 2; Blackland Dart; Ikon B1 slant; ATT Classic/ Windsor R1/ R2/ H1; RazoRock Game Changer #.84 plate; RazoRock Lupo; Paradigm Diamondback; Carbon Shaving Cx Titanium & Titan; Outlaw; Charcoal Goods Everyday; Haircut & Shave Titanium PO76; Timeless Slim Edition;

Adjustable – Mekur Progress; Phoenix Ascension; Homelike Taiga; REX Adjustable; B&R Adjustable;

Single Edge - Rocnel SE-50; Colonial General V1 & V2; Blackland Vector; Mongoose SS Gen 3; Razorock Hawk V3 & OC;

Budget – Yintal DE;

Best Travel – Colonial General Version 1;

2020 started with me thinking that this was going to be the year of the stainless steel adjustable razor, there were a number of stainless steel adjustable razors released and murmurs of others that have not eventuated. There was even talk about brass and titanium adjustables coming. A brass adjustable did eventually make an appearance at the end of the year from Pearl but not from the earlier named source. No titanium adjustable yet but don’t be surprised if one eventuates from Rocnel sometime in 2021. About the end of April there was an avalanche of new model razors announced and in many cases it took the rest of the year for these announcements to become reality. Some razors, however are still waiting release like the titanium Karve and that was announced in April. New artisans also put their hand up for their slice of that wet shaving dollar; names such as Janus, Henson, Outlaw. In the last quarter of the year there were many new releases, just when you might have thought that world production of all commodities might have slowed down. Below is a summary of the 2020 released razors that I’ve had the opportunity to sample:
  • Rocnel Sailor Gen 3 – Released late Dec 2019 but not received till 2020, Stainless steel, adjustable, exceptional grip on the handle but no grip on the adjuster, heavy and not very manoeuvrable, generous amounts of blade feel, not bad.
  • Homelike Taiga Adjustable – Released late Dec 2019, Stainless steel with an optional titanium handle, open and safety bar options in the one razor, machined polished finish, quality machining, adjustable, mechanism based on the Gibbs design, neutral blade feel at lower settings but increases at the higher settings, used up to max #6, very smooth and close.
  • Janus Adjustable V1 – Toggle operation, adjustable, doubtless the most complicated modern razor, limited edition, stainless steel, slippery handle, excessive amounts of blade feel, very uncomfortable shave.
  • Classic Shaving Enoch SE – Design looks to have been borrowed from the Rx Asylum, sintered stainless steel, poor QA, pop holes in MIM processed metal, poor design with unsupported section of safety bar, poor workmanship, head pieces seize together, fiddly to load a blade, very good shave but the cap can ride on the face, second rate.
  • Outlaw – Razor produced in a tie up between Alpha Shaving and Executive Shaving, stainless steel, very well made, highly polished, positive blade feel, smooth, mid efficiency, shaves close, amazing.
  • Homelike Baikal – Machined stainless steel, based on the Rockwell 6S/ 6C idea. 2 x 2 sided plates, noisy, good blade feel and a good selection of efficiency options, dual sided plate makes for head heavy feel, very good.
  • Paradigm 2020 Diamondback – Quality finish – hexagonal handle with diamonds engraved along each flat, superior polish finish to the previous 2019 version, exceptional smooth shave, a real pleasure.
  • Razorock Hawk V3 – Stainless steel, SE, superbly machine polished finish, smooth and a pleasant amount of blade feel, mid efficiency, ticks all of the boxes.
  • Carbon Shaving Model Cx-Ti (All Titanium) – Polished titanium, some machine marks polished over, light weight, beautifully balanced, pleasing amount of blade feel and very smooth, not too much wrong with this razor.
  • Carbon Shaving Model Cx-Titan – Carbon fibre spindle in the handle with polished titanium, exceptionally light, machine polished, smooth and close shave under mid efficiency, rewarding.
  • Haircut and Shave, Stainless Steel, PO76 SB – Manufactured from the difficult to machine 17-4 stainless steel and then hand polished, medium efficiency, smooth but not as close as it could be, not bad.
  • Haircut and Shave Titanium PO76 SB – Grade 5 Titanium, impeccably presented, up a level in efficiency to the stainless steel version, good blade feel, this razor is a performer.
  • Fine Accoutrements – World’s Finest – a mix of old style mixed with modern thinking, no final QA, good polish job, mild
  • Razorock BBS – Stainless steel version of the same company’s Babysmooth, quality machine polish, smooth and close shave, neutral blade feel, mild.
  • Charcoal Goods, Everyday - Brass – Economical razor in the Charcoal Goods range, quality not compromised, less machining than most razors, very smooth shave and close, nigh on perfection.
  • Razorock Hawk OC V3 – SE, 316 stainless steel, quality machine polished finish, step up in performance to the SB variant, superb.
  • Henson Shaving, Made for Men – Aluminium, innovative design, precision machining, critical shaving angle, ridiculously mild, needs to have the cap redesigned, disappointing.
  • Timeless Slim Edition – quality machining and presentation, new slim design plate that is compatible with parts from the existing Timeless range, terrific shave, smooth and close, brilliant.
During 2020 I listed those razors I thought warranted further investigation for Razor of the Year as I completed each review. That list was not extensive and I did not have to go back and study every 2020 review in detail to select a winner. Carbon Shaving’s titanium siblings, but especially the carbon fibre handled Cx-Titan rubbed me the right way, expensive, great design, light weight, innovation and a magnificent shave; Charcoal Goods Everyday Razor is a simple, affordable razor that never set a foot wrong and delivered a wonderful shave; Razorock Hawk V3 and specifically the open comb variant done everything right, quality machine polish finish, smooth and right in my sweet spot for efficiency; Haircut and Shave Titanium PO76, well it’s titanium, impeccably finished and a true performer but was hampered by its spiralling purchase price; Timeless Slim Edition 0.5mm, quality manufacture, really pleasant shave, another brilliant razor.

If selecting any of the razors highlighted above, I very much doubt there would be many complaints from even the most fastidious user. For mine, these were the pick of the crop for 2020 but there can be only one, and for 2020 - Errol’s Razor of the Year is the Timeless Slim Edition 0.5mm. I purchased a complete razor, however the plate can be purchased separately and installed in your current Timeless. For the review I used a stainless steel SB razor but there is also an OC option available. Topping out the Slim Edition range are the titanium versions that are also available with both plates. This razor is fantastic and well deserving as my pick of the razors I’ve used in 2020.

2018 RAW Shaving RS-10
2019 Smart Helix Apollo
Excellent pick @Errol! I have the Ti .95 and the day the titanium slim plate became available I ordered one and haven't been disappointed.

2018 RAW Shaving RS-10
2019 Smart Helix Apollo

Can one of the moderators please edit out the double up. I don’t know what happened there.

2018 RAW Shaving RS-10
2019 Smart Helix Apollo

Happy New Year guru @Errol. Thanks a million for the highly entertaining and informative reviews of some highly prized razors. I almost bit the bullet after your last review of the Timeless Slim plate but was put off by the conversion rate + shipping just for a plate and ultimately I'd love to try the .95 plate as well so bookmarked for a future purchase.
Wishing you good health, prosperity & continued success with future reviews as P&C is truly blessed to have somebody willing to share their experiences and invest significant $$$ in purchases the newest razors + some hidden gems! (y)

Timeless Stainless Steel Slim Edition – 0.5mm Blade Gap (OC) (USA)

After naming the SB version of the Timeless Slim Edition 0.5mm razor my Razor of the Year last week, the OC version now has pressure on it to perform but I have every faith in the Slim Edition and I’m sure there will be no issues. There was a rush on the Slim Edition razors at the first release and stock sold out awfully quick; that’s when I ordered mine. Thankfully Timeless did not take long to restock and as with their complete range of razors, stock is usually available or not far away. Being able to custom my razor to my ideal specifications, I must say that the dimensions of the TRH1 handle I selected are about as close to my perfect as I can get; the grippy knurling and visual presence of the TRH1 are bonuses. Thread engagement on the Timeless Slim Edition handle is firm and smooth and I’m going to mention again just how impressed I am with Timeless that they have positive length on the centre post. A TRH1 handle, scalloped cap and quality polished finish, all that has been changed from my review of the Timeless Slim Edition SB is a swap of plates from the safety bar to the open comb.

Talk about performance and holding up its end of the deal – the Slim Edition OC has upped the performance to a higher efficiency level, to above that of a Karve CB Level #D and there was a small increase in blade feel. The shave was not as smooth as with the SB version but was still acceptable. It was certainly close though; sometimes too close and I ended up with a couple of weepers but I’m not sure the weepers were all razor induced; I think operator error may have been a bit of the problem. You can’t go off half cocked when you have an efficient razor in your hand. I enjoyed my experience with the Slim Edition OC and have to say that Timeless are going to win a lot of friends with the release of the Slim Edition.

Blades Used – Gillette Silver Blue and Willy’s Premium
Material –
304 Stainless Steel
Blade Tab - Exposed
Weight – 105g
Head Width – 41.29mm
Handle Length – 85mm
Handle Diameter – 12.7mm
Final Word – Performance

Timeless Stainless Steel Slim Edition – 0.5mm Blade Gap (OC) (USA)

After naming the SB version of the Timeless Slim Edition 0.5mm razor my Razor of the Year last week, the OC version now has pressure on it to perform but I have every faith in the Slim Edition and I’m sure there will be no issues. There was a rush on the Slim Edition razors at the first release and stock sold out awfully quick; that’s when I ordered mine. Thankfully Timeless did not take long to restock and as with their complete range of razors, stock is usually available or not far away. Being able to custom my razor to my ideal specifications, I must say that the dimensions of the TRH1 handle I selected are about as close to my perfect as I can get; the grippy knurling and visual presence of the TRH1 are bonuses. Thread engagement on the Timeless Slim Edition handle is firm and smooth and I’m going to mention again just how impressed I am with Timeless that they have positive length on the centre post. A TRH1 handle, scalloped cap and quality polished finish, all that has been changed from my review of the Timeless Slim Edition SB is a swap of plates from the safety bar to the open comb.

Talk about performance and holding up its end of the deal – the Slim Edition OC has upped the performance to a higher efficiency level, to above that of a Karve CB Level #D and there was a small increase in blade feel. The shave was not as smooth as with the SB version but was still acceptable. It was certainly close though; sometimes too close and I ended up with a couple of weepers but I’m not sure the weepers were all razor induced; I think operator error may have been a bit of the problem. You can’t go off half cocked when you have an efficient razor in your hand. I enjoyed my experience with the Slim Edition OC and have to say that Timeless are going to win a lot of friends with the release of the Slim Edition.

Blades Used – Gillette Silver Blue and Willy’s Premium
Material –
304 Stainless Steel
Blade Tab - Exposed
Weight – 105g
Head Width – 41.29mm
Handle Length – 85mm
Handle Diameter – 12.7mm
Final Word – Performance
Another winner @Errol. You might just as well name the Timeless OC Slim Edition "Razor of 2021" and coast for the rest of the year. :D