Weekly Razor Review

Its taken a while but well worth the wait to see the Blackbird SB reviewed. Thanks again @Errol for the commitment and honesty as I always assumed this one to be way too much blade feel but seems not to be thee case...? :unsure:

Blackland Blackbird – Polished (USA)

I have previously used a Blackbird but it was the machine finished version so using the Blackbird is not completely new ground. All I’ve done for this week is swap the plate to the SB; other than the plate swap everything remains the same. What more could one ask for? Blackland have countersunk the blade hole in the back of the plate thus requiring a corresponding shoulder on the handle. Probably the only disadvantage of this system is it reduces the number of handle options available. After market handles with shoulders to fit the Blackbird system are available but are not common. Blackbird’s own handle provides very good grip and being the shorter option handle is perfectly fine by me.

While I’d previously enjoyed the performance of the Blackbird, I was still not prepared for the exceptional shave delivered this time around. If I’ve ever had a smoother shave I cannot remember when, it was effortless. Performance wise, the Blackbird is not a super aggressive razor but sits comfortably in that Karve CB #D range. You can be sure there is positive blade feel but it is a well balanced amount and when combined with the efficiency provided made the Blackbird perfect for me. When everything gels with a razor and shave, closeness come naturally, there is no need to let you know that the shaves were close. But what I will tell you is that this is a magnificent razor.

Blades Used – Gillette Super Stainless and Super-Max Platinum
Material –
Stainless Steel
Blade Tab – Slightly exposed
Weight – 93g
Head Width – 41.96mm
Handle Length – 82.05mm
Handle Diameter – 10.86mm
Availability – Blackland
Final Word – Soooo smooothh

Another great review!

Blackland Blackbird – Titanium (USA)

Bloody Blackland; in early May last year, they issued a statement saying they had a limited quantity of Blackbird Titanium ready for release. I checked the Blackland website every day ready to swoop on a release that never eventuated; I had to wait till November for the Blackbird Titanium to materialize. Visually the Titanium version of the Blackbird differs very little from its heavier stainless steel stable mate; not too much wrong with that if the last two reviews are anything to go by. Being one of the first releases my Blackbird Ti has what is called a machine finish. There are certainly marks in the finish if you get the light in the right spot but overall, the finish is very good. I’m starting to think I prefer a machined/ satin finish on titanium razors rather than a highly polished presentation; I appreciate the natural oxidized colouring of titanium as it just differentiates them and assists visually in identifying what you’re looking at. Also, with that satin/ machine finish there is always a decent feel to the razor and better grip available.

With exceptional results from the two stainless steel Blackbirds fresh in my mind, I went into using the Blackbird Ti with high expectations. True to its heritage, the Ti did an exceptional job upholding its place within the Blackbird line, not as smooth as the stainless Blackbird but certainly as close. Efficiency wise, the Ti was on par with the stainless steel Blackbird, sitting at that magical Karve CB #D level of performance. Fitted with the 85mm handle, the Ti felt just as manoeuvrable. One thing that did stand out was that the Ti was a noisier razor than the stainless but not up to the heights where a tune could be played on it. As much as I enjoyed shaving with the Blackbird Ti and having a self-confessed appreciation of all thing’s titanium, I’m going to make a big call to say that I enjoyed the shave with the stainless steel variant more; it was defiantly smoother.

Blades Used – Personna Prep and Wizamet Iridium Super
Material –
Titanium
Blade Tab - Exposed
Weight – 53g
Head Width – 42.08mm
Handle Length – 82.08mm
Handle Diameter – 10.85mm
Availability – Blackland
Final Word – How is Blackland going to improve on the Blackbird

Hi Folks,

Need a recommendation on another razor that I want to add to my collection that is similar in head design and in performance to SH Apollo light. It was after reading Errols' review that I acquired SH Apollo light and absolutely love it. Just FYI I don't shave daily so enjoy aggressive base plate(0.85). After switching from Rockwell 6S, I realized I prefer slim head design better.

Thanks

Hi Folks,

Need a recommendation on another razor that I want to add to my collection that is similar in head design and in performance to SH Apollo light. It was after reading Errols' review that I acquired SH Apollo light and absolutely love it. Just FYI I don't shave daily so enjoy aggressive base plate(0.85). After switching from Rockwell 6S, I realized I prefer slim head design better.

Hi Alvin, I also have the SH Apollo Light (Aggr.), and also love it. My #2,#3, and $4 razors are a Blackland Blackbird (in the original black oxide finish), a brass Charcoal Goods Gen 1 Level 2 and finally a brass Karve 'CB' with OC-D plate. (Not necessarily in that order, depending on the day!) Have a look at Errol's review from yesterday. I am continually tempted by a Tatara Masamune Nodachi also...

I think any of these razors would fit your bill. The CG is a milder razor than the others, but does have a nimble head; the Karve slightly less nimble than the others. I also started with the Rockwell 6, sold it for the same reasons, and usually shave every second day. Also have a RazoRock Game Changer .84p which is an inexpensive but great razor, maybe not quite in the same class as the others. (Whoops, forgot this was in Errol's review thread. Maybe start or move this to a new thread. Mods?)

Last edited:
Thanks mate, I will look into these. I was leaning towards Karve with C plate but wasn't sure so holding for now.

Hi Alvin, I also have the SH Apollo Light (Aggr.), and also love it. My #2,#3, and $4 razors are a Blackland Blackbird (in the original black oxide finish), a brass Charcoal Goods Gen 1 Level 2 and finally a brass Karve 'CB' with OC-D plate. (Not necessarily in that order, depending on the day!) Have a look at Errol's review from yesterday. I am continually tempted by a Tatara Masamune Nodachi also...
I think any of these razors would fit your bill. The CG is a milder razor than the others, but does have a nimble head. The Karve slightly less nimble than the others.

Pearl Flexi Adjustable – First Release (India)

Pearl Shaving is not heard of much in this part of the world. Really, the only place I see the Pearl name crop up now and then is in the razor section of NZ’s Trade Me, and even there it’s not been seen a lot of late. Pearl’s Flexi Adjustable is a clone of the Rex Ambassador razor that has been machined from brass and then plated with satin finish. Just like the Rex, the Flexi Adjustable is a two piece razor, there is the handle which incorporates the two piece base plate and the cap. A fine circumferential and longitudinal knurl adorns the handle; it won’t provide as positive a grip as the Rex but it should still do the job quite comfortably. Setting numbers around the base of the plate are engraved in a much appreciate large font that is very easy to read, however there is an alignment issue with the positioning dot on the adjuster as it starts at #1 dot (between #1 and #2) and opens to #6 dot. To the razors credit, every moving part of the razor moved freely even before I took to it with my trusty rod oil.

This Pearl Flexi Adjustable is from the very first batch released. Unfortunately, there was a gap alignment issue with razors from the first batch. Somehow the gap goes out of parallel in the middle of the adjustment range but at the high and low settings, the gap is perfectly fine. The remedy is said to be the bottom plate spring must be run in (whoever heard of running a spring in, but I did give the plate a few squeezes). There is a large amount of slop between the bottom plate and its alignment spindle that would not be assisting alignment at all. Being machined on a CNC machine there is just no excuse for such a sloppy fit; no money was spent on R&D so getting the dimensions correct should have been a walk in the park. There was an alignment issue with mine but it appears minor so I’m willing to give it a try and see how it goes. In true Errol fashion, the whole mechanism got a good dose of rod oil very soon after I received it and, fingers crossed, that may assist in some correction of the alignment – along with running in the spring.

Accompanying the Flexi were 150 razor blades from two companies I’d not previously heard of, Glatz and Willy’s Premium. I’ve since used both blades in reviews and they proved no better, no worse than many of the mid-range blades, both are certainly smooth. A Ladas blade and the Willy’s Premium blade were selected for this review. As is normal when I review an adjustable, I start at the middle setting and work from there; why change now? With the razor set at position #3 (indicated) and knowing this is right at the point where the alignment can be out, I gave the gap alignment a detailed look over and everything appeared to be good. During the first shave I switched to position #4 and position #5 but have to admit that I neglected to check alignment at the changes. If there was an alignment issue as I used the Flexi, I could not detect it. Position #1 don’t know - #2 bloody useless - #3, #4, #5 all very usable - #6 a weapon. For the most part, I was content with using position #4, Karve CB Level #D efficiency and with its touch of positive blade, this razor felt good. I liked the smoothness of the razor but the first shave was not as close as I would have preferred; the subconscious playing little games? Confidence now up, or more correctly, forgetting there may be an alignment issue, all other shaves were just as smooth and there would be no further complaints about closeness. Already Pearl has released a second version of the Pearl where it is said that the alignment issue has been corrected. During the review I did not experience anything to suggest an alignment issue, but deep down had a gut feeling that the alignment issue could exist. It’s a pity, because otherwise, this Pearl Flexi Adjustable is an outstanding razor.

Adjustment Range – #1 - #6 with dots between
  • #3 – Karve CB Level #C
  • #4 – Karve CB Level #D
  • #5 – Karve CB Level #D plus
  • #6 – Karve CB Level #D plus, plus – no big jump in blade feel
Blades Used – Ladas and Willy’s Premium
Material – Brass - Plated
Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 139g
Head Width – 44.12mm
Handle Length – 80.11mm
Handle Diameter – 13.93mm
Availability – Pearl Shaving
Final Word – Get a later version

Yet another awesome review by our resident guru! (y)

Pearl Shaving is not heard of much in this part of the world. Really, the only place I see the Pearl name crop up now and then is in the razor section of NZ’s Trade Me, and even there it’s not been seen a lot of late. Pearl’s Flexi Adjustable is a clone of the Rex Ambassador razor that has been machined from brass and then plated with satin finish. Just like the Rex, the Flexi Adjustable is a two piece razor, there is the handle which incorporates the two piece base plate and the cap. A fine circumferential and longitudinal knurl adorns the handle; it won’t provide as positive a grip as the Rex but it should still do the job quite comfortably. Setting numbers around the base of the plate are engraved in a much appreciate large font that is very easy to read, however there is an alignment issue with the positioning dot on the adjuster as it starts at #1 dot (between #1 and #2) and opens to #6 dot. To the razors credit, every moving part of the razor moved freely even before I took to it with my trusty rod oil.

This Pearl Flexi Adjustable is from the very first batch released. Unfortunately, there was a gap alignment issue with razors from the first batch. Somehow the gap goes out of parallel in the middle of the adjustment range but at the high and low settings, the gap is perfectly fine. The remedy is said to be the bottom plate spring must be run in (whoever heard of running a spring in, but I did give the plate a few squeezes). There is a large amount of slop between the bottom plate and its alignment spindle that would not be assisting alignment at all. Being machined on a CNC machine there is just no excuse for such a sloppy fit; no money was spent on R&D so getting the dimensions correct should have been a walk in the park. There was an alignment issue with mine but it appears minor so I’m willing to give it a try and see how it goes. In true Errol fashion, the whole mechanism got a good dose of rod oil very soon after I received it and, fingers crossed, that may assist in some correction of the alignment – along with running in the spring.

Accompanying the Flexi were 150 razor blades from two companies I’d not previously heard of, Glatz and Willy’s Premium. I’ve since used both blades in reviews and they proved no better, no worse than many of the mid-range blades, both are certainly smooth. A Ladas blade and the Willy’s Premium blade were selected for this review. As is normal when I review an adjustable, I start at the middle setting and work from there; why change now? With the razor set at position #3 (indicated) and knowing this is right at the point where the alignment can be out, I gave the gap alignment a detailed look over and everything appeared to be good. During the first shave I switched to position #4 and position #5 but have to admit that I neglected to check alignment at the changes. If there was an alignment issue as I used the Flexi, I could not detect it. Position #1 don’t know - #2 bloody useless - #3, #4, #5 all very usable - #6 a weapon. For the most part, I was content with using position #4, Karve CB Level #D efficiency and with its touch of positive blade, this razor felt good. I liked the smoothness of the razor but the first shave was not as close as I would have preferred; the subconscious playing little games? Confidence now up, or more correctly, forgetting there may be an alignment issue, all other shaves were just as smooth and there would be no further complaints about closeness. Already Pearl has released a second version of the Pearl where it is said that the alignment issue has been corrected. During the review I did not experience anything to suggest an alignment issue, but deep down had a gut feeling that the alignment issue could exist. It’s a pity, because otherwise, this Pearl Flexi Adjustable is an outstanding razor.

• #3 – Karve CB Level #C
  • #4 – Karve CB Level #D
Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 139g
Head Width – 44.12mm
Handle Length – 80.11mm
The Pearl’s Flexi Adjustable v2.0 is still having some minor quality control issue, for those of you are planning to get one, wait a while until v3.0 released.

I aren’t going to get a crapshoot Pearl’s Flexi Adjustable.... No bloody way.

The Pearl’s Flexi Adjustable v2.0 is still having some minor quality control issue, for those of you are planning to get one, wait a while until v3.0 released.

Agree 100% as I've seen numerous reviews hinting to similar spring issues that were long resolved with the Rex Ambassador :facepalm:

• #3 – Karve CB Level #C
  • #4 – Karve CB Level #D
Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 139g
Head Width – 44.12mm
Handle Length – 80.11mm

Agree 100% as I've seen numerous reviews hinting to similar spring issues that were long resolved with the Rex Ambassador :facepalm:
IF you guys want adjustable or changeable razors in your den, watch this link below OR!! get yourself a vintage Gillette adjustable either a Fatboy, Slim, and the Black Beauty Super (short or long handle)

For goodness sake, DON'T, get the Pearl’s Flexi Adjustable