Weekly Razor Review

Hello @Errol your wonderful reviews have sort of put me in a bit of a pickle :p

I thought I had my RAD under control with a future bronze WR1 purchase in the not to distant future... BUT.... this review sort of got me by the brass monkeys and now I need to ask the eternal question...

Wolfman vs Blackbird :love:

With your vast experience, which would you go for? a WR1 1.67 OC or Blackbird SS SB?

Also between blackbirds models, my research has lead me to believe that the general consensus is the Ti version is smoother than the SS, but your review above clearly states that you believe the SS is actually smoother than the Ti. You have also stated your self confessed love for Ti razors but still would go for the SS over the Ti.

Now that a few months have passed, do you still feel the SS is smoother? and would you still go for it over the Ti? I personally enjoy heftier razors but due to this razors apparent blade feel (which I don't mind) I would like to ensure I end up with the smoother of the two.. what do you think mate?
I enjoy my SS Blackbird. It’s not a rough razor, though definitely not as smooth as the Blutt. I put it down to the top cap design with its angled surface and particular finish maybe creating a bit of drag. This might be why the Ti version purportedly shaves smoother with its different material feel.

I enjoy my SS Blackbird. It’s not a rough razor, though definitely not as smooth as the Blutt. I put it down to the top cap design with its angled surface and particular finish maybe creating a bit of drag. This might be why the Ti version purportedly shaves smoother with its different material feel.

hmmmmm... now that I am in an investigative mode.. how would you compare the Blutt to the SS Blackbird in terms of efficiency? also I know the blackbird has blade feel, what about the blutt, does it also have blade feel?

@Errol and @neongas one very important question I forgot to ask was how the blackbird performs with ATG passes?

As you guys know, I must achieve BBS every single shave (dunno why) and the only way for me to achieve this is with at least one ATG pass.. so this aspect of a razor is really important to me

Hello @Errol your wonderful reviews have sort of put me in a bit of a pickle :p

I thought I had my RAD under control with a future bronze WR1 purchase in the not to distant future... BUT.... this review sort of got me by the brass monkeys and now I need to ask the eternal question...

Wolfman vs Blackbird :love:

With your vast experience, which would you go for? a WR1 1.67 OC or Blackbird SS SB?

Also between blackbirds models, my research has lead me to believe that the general consensus is the Ti version is smoother than the SS, but your review above clearly states that you believe the SS is actually smoother than the Ti. You have also stated your self confessed love for Ti razors but still would go for the SS over the Ti.

Now that a few months have passed, do you still feel the SS is smoother? and would you still go for it over the Ti? I personally enjoy heftier razors but due to this razors apparent blade feel (which I don't mind) I would like to ensure I end up with the smoother of the two.. what do you think mate?

Good Afternoon @StratMan You are getting some milage out of this decision on which razor to purchase so I'll try to answer your questions. I am not a big fan of the WR1 line of Wolfman razors so my automatic answer to your question is to go for the Blackbird, if you were talking the WR2, my answer would be the other way around. Nothing has happened to to alter my view that the stainless steel version of the Blackbird version provides a better shave compared to the titanium. My reviews are my record on each razor I use so I need to be honest with myself in the review. If I don't like a razor I'll tell you why and if I do like the razor, you'll know.

hmmmmm... now that I am in an investigative mode.. how would you compare the Blutt to the SS Blackbird in terms of efficiency? also I know the blackbird has blade feel, what about the blutt, does it also have blade feel?

Efficiency wise, the Blackbird and Blutt are similar, both have blade feel but it is not as noticeable with the Blutt.

Good Afternoon @StratMan You are getting some milage out of this decision on which razor to purchase so I'll try to answer your questions. I am not a big fan of the WR1 line of Wolfman razors so my automatic answer to your question is to go for the Blackbird, if you were talking the WR2, my answer would be the other way around. Nothing has happened to to alter my view that the stainless steel version of the Blackbird version provides a better shave compared to the titanium. My reviews are my record on each razor I use so I need to be honest with myself in the review. If I don't like a razor I'll tell you why and if I do like the razor, you'll know.

Efficiency wise, the Blackbird and Blutt are similar, both have blade feel but it is not as noticeable with the Blutt.

thanks for that info @Errol. Totally understand and believe the views you record are honest, just wondered if they had changed over time. I know mine mostly do

The WR1 is off the table for now (and I already have a WR2) so its down to the BB and Blutt.. I actually have a SS BB in the cart as we speak.. but before I pull the trigger just want to explore the Blutt a little. I am assuming you mean the Blutt 0.99 is the one comparable in efficiency to the BB? if you had to chose one which of these two would you go for?

thanks for that info @Errol. Totally understand and believe the views you record are honest, just wondered if they had changed over time. I know mine mostly do

The WR1 is off the table for now (and I already have a WR2) so its down to the BB and Blutt.. I actually have a SS BB in the cart as we speak.. but before I pull the trigger just want to explore the Blutt a little. I am assuming you mean the Blutt 0.99 is the one comparable in efficiency to the BB? if you had to chose one which of these two would you go for?

Yes, the Blutt 0.99

I would consider them opposite twins. Equally efficient, but each go about their way differently. The Blutt is more of a ninja and you hardly feel it as it goes about its business. the Blackbird is (ironically) a vocal shaver and in my opinion not having as much of the blade feel some make it out to be. I consider both equally outstanding razors worthy to be used individually and not overlapping.

@Errol and @neongas one very important question I forgot to ask was how the blackbird performs with ATG passes?

As you guys know, I must achieve BBS every single shave (dunno why) and the only way for me to achieve this is with at least one ATG pass.. so this aspect of a razor is really important to me

I also consider both objectively good performers ATG as I am similar in habit to you, with the Blutt having the edge due to its top cap design and finish making it slightly more forgiving when going around the chin and jaw line. The Blackbird requires perhaps a touch more finessing. Blade choice here also I feel makes a difference as for me a sharper blade makes going ATG much more comfortable (while balancing smoothness) as opposed to a milder one which feels like it requires a bit more effort for obvious reasons. As I have posted before in SOTD, the BIC CP is excellent in the Blutt.

But as always with our hobby, YMMV :LOL:

I would consider them opposite twins. Equally efficient, but each go about their way differently. The Blutt is more of a ninja and you hardly feel it as it goes about its business. the Blackbird is (ironically) a vocal shaver and in my opinion not having as much of the blade feel some make it out to be. I consider both equally outstanding razors worthy to be used individually and not overlapping.

I also consider both objectively good performers ATG as I am similar in habit to you, with the Blutt having the edge due to its top cap design and finish making it slightly more forgiving when going around the chin and jaw line. The Blackbird requires perhaps a touch more finessing. Blade choice here also I feel makes a difference as for me a sharper blade makes going ATG much more comfortable (while balancing smoothness) as opposed to a milder one which feels like it requires a bit more effort for obvious reasons. As I have posted before in SOTD, the BIC CP is excellent in the Blutt.

A pity the Blutt no longer seems to be available with that deep knurling on the handle... :(

thanks for your thoughts on this mate.. but have you ever heard the saying "the more you learn the less you know" :LOL:

I honestly have no idea which way to go and what to do.. one thing I do know is the WR1 seems like a distant memory :eek:

I have shaved with all 3 (milder versions though)...and of course my opinion would be exactly the opposite...but then smoothness is for me the number 1 factor 😉

First world problems, but if I would be a betting man, I'd say that sooner or later you will end up with at least 2 out of the 3 razors in your den @StratMan 😂

Getting a different metal (other than stainless) would also be a deciding factor...my Brass Wolfman is a museum piece 😊

I have shaved with all 3 (milder versions though)...and of course my opinion would be exactly the opposite...but then smoothness is for me the number 1 factor 😉

First world problems, but if I would be a betting man, I'd say that sooner or later you will end up with at least 2 out of the 3 razors in your den @StratMan 😂

Getting a different metal (other than stainless) would also be a deciding factor...my Brass Wolfman is a museum piece 😊

Yiasou @alfredus if I were a betting man I would back u :giggle:

I used the wr1 once and that is what single handedly turned me around to quality razors and wolfman razors are exactly that

I also appreciate smoothness, along with efficiency, blade feel etc its all about variety for me.. considering I have plenty of efficiency, mild comfy shaves are next on the horizon (after the BB of course 👍)

I still plan to trial @holidays mild .67 WR1 OC and if that goes well.... well u know, we both end up winning that bet

I've learnt a lot from those days to now so we will just have to see, all I know is when I use it this time around I know what I am looking for

@Errol and @neongas thanks for all your input, both your comments have helped cement my decision

was going hard with the SS Bird then right out of left field came the Blutt...

This morning I gave the r41 a good run with 4 passes, including two ATGs without any issue or irritation so considering I enjoy a bit of blade feel and the bird is apparently such a smooth shaver the decision was easy. I also believe the BB will keep the shave a little more interesting instead of just going to autopilot with the even smoother Blutt

just placed my order with express delivery so I guess I will find out myself shortly :p

Stando Rod Ti (Poland)

I didn’t rush into the purchase of the stainless steel Stando Rod but when I saw one advertised in titanium, that soon changed. As more Stando razors become available one thing is becoming very apparent, they all share a distinct family resemblance, quality machining and probably the biggest factor is the quality of their bead blasted finish. There is nothing wrong with a family resemblance so long as the razor delivers and to date, I’ve been suitably impressed with each and every Stando I’ve used. Strangely, the part that first grabbed my attention was the handle; it is a simple design with just a couple of grooves at the front and rear and a spiral wrap but it certainly stands out and there is no doubt that it will be effective. Both the plate and cap have a minimalist appeal, simple, little excess material and every piece so perfectly mated. Without a blade fitted, the joint between the cap and plate is barely visible. Stando have machined a recess into the back of the plate, initially I thought it for a nylon washer, but it did not take long to establish that it was for the end of the handle to butt into.

While advertised as a mild razor, I’m in a generous mood and nominate the razor as a mid efficient shaver. Efficiency is between Karve CB level #C and level #D with a little more than a hint of positive blade protrusion, the shave was remarkably smooth and exceptionally close. Stando’s Rod Ti has the class to stand proudly alongside the best razors I have used; it was a delight to feel just how smooth the face felt immediately after the shave was completed. This razor makes shaving feel so safe so you would have to do something positively stupid to get a cut, it even accepted the Feather Professional Super blade in its stride. There is a one word description for the Stando Rod Ti - excellent.

Blades Used – Kai Captain Titan Mild and Feather Professional Super
Material – Gr2 Titanium
Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 68g
Head Width – 50.10mm
Handle Length – 94.43mm
Handle Diameter – 12.09mm
Availability – Stando
Final Word – So comfortable

Stando Rod Ti (Poland)

I didn’t rush into the purchase of the stainless steel Stando Rod but when I saw one advertised in titanium, that soon changed. As more Stando razors become available one thing is becoming very apparent, they all share a distinct family resemblance, quality machining and probably the biggest factor is the quality of their bead blasted finish. There is nothing wrong with a family resemblance so long as the razor delivers and to date, I’ve been suitably impressed with each and every Stando I’ve used. Strangely, the part that first grabbed my attention was the handle; it is a simple design with just a couple of grooves at the front and rear and a spiral wrap but it certainly stands out and there is no doubt that it will be effective. Both the plate and cap have a minimalist appeal, simple, little excess material and every piece so perfectly mated. Without a blade fitted, the joint between the cap and plate is barely visible. Stando have machined a recess into the back of the plate, initially I thought it for a nylon washer, but it did not take long to establish that it was for the end of the handle to butt into.

While advertised as a mild razor, I’m in a generous mood and nominate the razor as a mid efficient shaver. Efficiency is between Karve CB level #C and level #D with a little more than a hint of positive blade protrusion, the shave was remarkably smooth and exceptionally close. Stando’s Rod Ti has the class to stand proudly alongside the best razors I have used; it was a delight to feel just how smooth the face felt immediately after the shave was completed. This razor makes shaving feel so safe so you would have to do something positively stupid to get a cut, it even accepted the Feather Professional Super blade in its stride. There is a one word description for the Stando Rod Ti - excellent.

Blades Used – Kai Captain Titan Mild and Feather Professional Super
Material – Gr2 Titanium
Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 68g
Head Width – 50.10mm
Handle Length – 94.43mm
Handle Diameter – 12.09mm
Availability – Stando
Final Word – So comfortable
Another quality review @Errol and I'll admit that I have minor regrets not going with Titanium over Brass as the added weight can make shaving a bit cumbersome but I can't fault the build quality from Stan(do) nor price when compared to similar AC style razors. (y)

Yeah I used the etsy shop to compare prices and found it was cheaper going directly through the Stando website as from memory no GST...?
Plenty of options and for an SE AC style razor the Rod compares well to the Hawk SB so overall happy with my purchase.
Doesn’t matter which site you go to GST will always apply via check out from any bank credit card in Australia or PayPal online.

You’ll never bypass the GST system against the ATO laws.