Weekly Razor Review

Rocnel Sailor 2023 – Master Collection (Turkey)

I purchased a Sailor S razor from the 2022 collection but it looked so much like the Sailor from 2021 that I never bothered reviewing it. To be brutally honest, not a whole lot looks to have changed for 2023 either but I’m going to give it a run. This razor is from the Rocnel Sailor 2023 Master Collection (not the gold variant) and is said to be finished on a machine similar to that used to finish Rolex watches, it’s no wonder then that I’ve always admired Rolex watches. On the Sailor, I wouldn’t call it a polished finish but it’s not far off; whatever you call it, it is very pleasing to the eye. Excuse me Mr Rocnel, this is your premium product and there is a back to the cap that looks out of place with machine marks around the blade posts and the handle post. Having pointed that out, the clamping surface on the cap has the ‘Rolex’ finish. In true Rocnel tradition, engraving takes pride of place on the 2023 Sailor but instead of being the old ‘stand out like the proverbial’ engraving of yesteryear, it is very subdued and blends well with the ‘Rocnel’ finish. I opened the package at work for a quick look and was left scratching my head as I could find no markings for adjuster, maybe because it’s the Master Collection, it’s not supposed to be used for shaving. It’s no good to me if I can’t put a blade in and use it. A couple of days later when I sat down with a few minutes to spare, I spotted numbers engraved into the silver band at the rear of the handle, they had been camouflaged in the shadows. Starting with the adjuster screwed right in and as the number increase, the gap increases from #1 through to #dot (6). Now if you’re feeling really adventurous, you could screw the knob out a couple of turns and start your own Jerky factory. Just to show their attention to detail and the quality of the product, the shaft on the adjuster is retained in place by a spring loaded ball detent, all parts operate at close tolerances and when new had the smell of a light machine grease, loved it.

It would not be a Rocnel if it wasn’t fashioned with a Feather blade in mind, so you don’t have to be Einstein to figure out what blade was included in the package. With the blade loaded, the #3 is sitting where #1 should be; rotate the cap half of one turn and #1 is positioned where it should be. There are no marks to identify correct assembly and it’s not a big deal if you are aware of it. Having been machining adjustable razors and releasing at least one new version annually since about 2017, Rocnel have learned a thing or two about how an adjustable razor should work. This year’s Sailor shaves so pleasantly right through the whole range and while blade protrusion increases proportionally to the efficiency it never felt like it was too much. Level #4 was my absolute favourite, and I would have been pleased to simply leave it set there, Karve CB Level #D efficiency with a perfect balance of blade feel, what more is required. One very noticeable characteristic of all Sailor adjustables is the thickness of the head; Rocnel employ two springs in their base plate to maintain constant pressure between both plates. If one spring was used, its length can be hidden in the handle, but two springs need somewhere to sit and that can only be in the base plate assembly. Rocnel are in a situation where they are damned if they do, and damned if they don’t; I’m sure they would have thought a lot about the pros and cons of one versus two springs but continue to use a two spring head. Because the cap is relatively thin, shaving in tight spots is not really affected by the thicker plate. It’s the weight that the extra material of the plates contribute that Rocnel really need to do something about, it’s just too heavy and needs to lose about 33% of the total weight. Hopefully their 2023 hybrid titanium/ stainless steel version addresses the weight issue; I’m waiting on the 2024 release to grab one. Other than my gripe with the weight, the 2023 Sailor is a delightful razor to use and has the added benefit of being able to be used on every setting.

Adjustment Range – #1 - # Dot (#6)

• #1 – Mild but useable
  • #2 – Karve CB Level #B efficiency
  • #3 – Karve CB Level #C efficiency
  • #4 – Karve CB Level #D efficiency
  • #5 – More than Karve CB Level #D efficiency but still useable
  • #6 – Not for the faint hearted
Blades Used – Feather and Gillette Nacet

Material – Stainless Steel

Blade Tab – Exposed

Weight – 143.6g

Head Width – 41.88mm

Handle Length – 80.44mm

Handle Diameter – 13.95mm

Availability – Rocnel

Final Word –
So comfortable

Rocnel SE-36 (Turkey)

Presenting a one piece razor with not one moving part. Rocnel’s SE-36 was released in the middle of this year and has drawn a lot of inspiration from its stablemate, the SE-P. Instead of a using the huge block of steel for the head like the SE-P, the depth of the head has been reduced considerably, but it’s of similar thickness. It is now, more or less proportional to a ½ DE blade that it was designed around. Like the SE-P, there is a radiused slot let into the head for the ½ DE blade to be retained in. When the blade is being loaded it almost glides till about the last 2mm when it takes up and there is some resistance to retain the blade; not much, but it feels locked in, however, it would not take much of a knock on that exposed tab to dislodge the blade. Located under the blade is a clearing channel that clears the lather through to the lather grooves. Its handle is not removable from the head and has a shallow diamond pattern along the shaft and a couple of grooves are machined into it, more for cosmetic touches then practicality. There is a sizable contrast between the highly polished handle and the dull matte finish on the head but overall the SE-36 still presents very nicely.

Having reviewed the SE-P only a couple of weeks age, most of the anxiety in using of the SE-36 had been set to rest. There was always the threat of a scratch from the blade tab hanging out the side of the head but there was also comfort in the knowledge that if I didn’t do anything foolish, there wasn’t a lot to worry about. From the first stroke I knew I was using an exceptional razor; efficiency was between Karve CB levels #C and #D and the delivered shave so beautifully smooth. There was positive blade protrusion, but it too had been adjusted to exactly as I would have prescribed, I was in heaven lapping up the pleasure form this experience. Loosing almost 1/3 of the weight to its overweight sibling was certainly appreciated and has made the SE-36 feel neutral in use. This is a razor with not one moving part that appeals to me, I could live with this one.

Blades Used – Feather and Gillette 7 O’Clock Yellow

Material –
316 Stainless Steel

Blade Tab – Well and truly exposed

Weight – 90.1g

Head Width – 35.94mm

Handle Length – 82.75mm

Handle Diameter – 12.16mm

Availability – Rocnel

Final Word – A little beauty

Rocnel SE-36 (Turkey)

Presenting a one piece razor with not one moving part. Rocnel’s SE-36 was released in the middle of this year and has drawn a lot of inspiration from its stablemate, the SE-P. Instead of a using the huge block of steel for the head like the SE-P, the depth of the head has been reduced considerably, but it’s of similar thickness. It is now, more or less proportional to a ½ DE blade that it was designed around. Like the SE-P, there is a radiused slot let into the head for the ½ DE blade to be retained in. When the blade is being loaded it almost glides till about the last 2mm when it takes up and there is some resistance to retain the blade; not much, but it feels locked in, however, it would not take much of a knock on that exposed tab to dislodge the blade. Located under the blade is a clearing channel that clears the lather through to the lather grooves. Its handle is not removable from the head and has a shallow diamond pattern along the shaft and a couple of grooves are machined into it, more for cosmetic touches then practicality. There is a sizable contrast between the highly polished handle and the dull matte finish on the head but overall the SE-36 still presents very nicely.

Having reviewed the SE-P only a couple of weeks age, most of the anxiety in using of the SE-36 had been set to rest. There was always the threat of a scratch from the blade tab hanging out the side of the head but there was also comfort in the knowledge that if I didn’t do anything foolish, there wasn’t a lot to worry about. From the first stroke I knew I was using an exceptional razor; efficiency was between Karve CB levels #C and #D and the delivered shave so beautifully smooth. There was positive blade protrusion, but it too had been adjusted to exactly as I would have prescribed, I was in heaven lapping up the pleasure form this experience. Loosing almost 1/3 of the weight to its overweight sibling was certainly appreciated and has made the SE-36 feel neutral in use. This is a razor with not one moving part that appeals to me, I could live with this one.

Blades Used – Feather and Gillette 7 O’Clock Yellow

Material –
316 Stainless Steel

Blade Tab – Well and truly exposed

Weight – 90.1g

Head Width – 35.94mm

Handle Length – 82.75mm

Handle Diameter – 12.16mm

Availability – Rocnel

Final Word – A little beauty
I have an SE-P and love it, but the SE-36 seems to be a much more refined version. Another outstanding review @Errol, as always.👍

Blackland Osprey Adjustable (USA)

Blackland spent a lot of time, money and effort convincing the shaving public that their new Osprey adjustable was about to change the world of adjustable razors. Videos were made to string customers along during its supposed development in the false belief that they were assisting in the design of the greatest adjustable razor ever to sit in a shave den. Sure, first impressions are that it looks good but have a think about it, there is nothing new about the design. Didn’t Gibbs release a razor 100 years ago that featured a two piece bottom plate that moved up and down; sorry Blackland that feature is well tested. But it’s the adjuster itself, isn’t that something that’s not been seen before; yes, the adjuster looks fancy and works differently, but get back to the basics and it’s a nut working on thread that adjusts the gap. Out in my shed is an old Crescent shifter that uses the same principal to adjust its jaw opening, this revelation has been around for a thousand years, Blackland have just refined the mechanism a bit. Well, the handle’s design is new? Maybe, but there was a photo circulating of a prototype Charcoal Goods handle from a few years back that featured a similar idea. I do admire the handle, but I’m a little concerned that the brass insert is going to form a patina and take away the splendour of the handle. It won’t be long before someone hits on the idea to make the insert from aluminium; not only will it reduce the weight, but it can be anodised to any colour of the rainbow – yes, even a special pink one for @SpeedyPC. At the outset Blackland clearly stated that their aim was to deliver a machined stainless steel adjustable razor under 100g in weight. Blackland almost achieved this goal by shedding superfluous material from every component with the overall aim of getting that weight down. 103g for a machined adjustable is a pretty fair achievement but even that can be reduced by removing the brass insert. I know I ordered a machined version but the marks across the centre of the cap and the sharp edges on the handle cutouts and adjuster are a little disappointing, the remainder of the finish is passable for a machined finish.

When not assembled the top plate flops around like a frog in a sock; assemble it and it all firms up nice and square, an application of oil did not improve the performance. It would be great to be able to read the numbers on the adjuster, I don’t wear spectacles while shaving but even when I do, those numbers are still hard to read; come on Blackland set that engraving cutter a bit deeper next time and maybe add a bit of red filler to the bottom of the engraving. When I got the light from the right direction, I could sort of work out what the numbers were, identify one and work from there. I could not find any use for the lower three settings; I’m sure they were put there so Blackland could lay claim that their Osprey had 9 settings. Settings #5 through to #8 were in my pleasant range and I can quite easily use #9. There was a corresponding increase in blade feel as the numbers increased but at no time could I suggest that blade feel was excessive. Right through the usable shave range, I was surprised just how smooth the shave was, no pulling or tugging, just a pleasant feel as the whiskers were wiped away. Usually I don’t mind a machine finished razor but for the price I feel the quality of the finish was left wanting; sharp edges on the handle and adjusting knob, poor finish on the cap and unreadable engraving. I would suggest that the soon to be released polished and satin finished Osprey will make for better razors, but it is the titanium version that I’m looking forward to. It won’t be the machine finished version; no more machine finished Blackland razors for me. Blackland’s Osprey is a good adjustable razor, but it does not reach the heights that advertising would have you believe that it should.

Adjustment Range –

• #1 - #2 – Useless
  • #3 – Not much better than useless
  • #4 – Karve CB Level #B
  • #5 – Karve CB Level #C
  • #6 – Karve CB Level - Between #C and D
  • #7 – Karve CB Level #D
  • #8 – Karve CB Level #D+
  • #9 – Karve CB Level # It can bite
Blades Used – Gillette Super Thin and Gillette 7 O’Clock Super Platinum Black

Material – 303 Stainless Steel

Blade Tab – Covered

Weight – 103.1g

Head Width – 42.77mm

Handle Length – 92.78mm

Handle Diameter – 12.41mm

Availability – Blackland

Final Word – It’s all about the marketing.

even a special pink one for @SpeedyPC.
giphy.gif

Blackland spent a lot of time, money and effort convincing the shaving public that their new Osprey adjustable was about to change the world of adjustable razors. Videos were made to string customers along during its supposed development in the false belief that they were assisting in the design of the greatest adjustable razor ever to sit in a shave den. Sure, first impressions are that it looks good but have a think about it, there is nothing new about the design. Didn’t Gibbs release a razor 100 years ago that featured a two piece bottom plate that moved up and down; sorry Blackland that feature is well tested. But it’s the adjuster itself, isn’t that something that’s not been seen before; yes, the adjuster looks fancy and works differently, but get back to the basics and it’s a nut working on thread that adjusts the gap. Out in my shed is an old Crescent shifter that uses the same principal to adjust its jaw opening, this revelation has been around for a thousand years, Blackland have just refined the mechanism a bit. Well, the handle’s design is new? Maybe, but there was a photo circulating of a prototype Charcoal Goods handle from a few years back that featured a similar idea. I do admire the handle, but I’m a little concerned that the brass insert is going to form a patina and take away the splendour of the handle. It won’t be long before someone hits on the idea to make the insert from aluminium; not only will it reduce the weight, but it can be anodised to any colour of the rainbow – yes, even a special pink one for @SpeedyPC. At the outset Blackland clearly stated that their aim was to deliver a machined stainless steel adjustable razor under 100g in weight. Blackland almost achieved this goal by shedding superfluous material from every component with the overall aim of getting that weight down. 103g for a machined adjustable is a pretty fair achievement but even that can be reduced by removing the brass insert. I know I ordered a machined version but the marks across the centre of the cap and the sharp edges on the handle cutouts and adjuster are a little disappointing, the remainder of the finish is passable for a machined finish.

When not assembled the top plate flops around like a frog in a sock; assemble it and it all firms up nice and square, an application of oil did not improve the performance. It would be great to be able to read the numbers on the adjuster, I don’t wear spectacles while shaving but even when I do, those numbers are still hard to read; come on Blackland set that engraving cutter a bit deeper next time and maybe add a bit of red filler to the bottom of the engraving. When I got the light from the right direction, I could sort of work out what the numbers were, identify one and work from there. I could not find any use for the lower three settings; I’m sure they were put there so Blackland could lay claim that their Osprey had 9 settings. Settings #5 through to #8 were in my pleasant range and I can quite easily use #9. There was a corresponding increase in blade feel as the numbers increased but at no time could I suggest that blade feel was excessive. Right through the usable shave range, I was surprised just how smooth the shave was, no pulling or tugging, just a pleasant feel as the whiskers were wiped away. Usually I don’t mind a machine finished razor but for the price I feel the quality of the finish was left wanting; sharp edges on the handle and adjusting knob, poor finish on the cap and unreadable engraving. I would suggest that the soon to be released polished and satin finished Osprey will make for better razors, but it is the titanium version that I’m looking forward to. It won’t be the machine finished version; no more machine finished Blackland razors for me. Blackland’s Osprey is a good adjustable razor, but it does not reach the heights that advertising would have you believe that it should.

Adjustment Range –

• #1 - #2 – Useless
  • #4 – Karve CB Level #B
  • #5 – Karve CB Level #C
  • #7 – Karve CB Level #D

Blade Tab – Covered

Weight – 103.1g

Head Width – 42.77mm

Handle Length – 92.78mm

Availability – Blackland

Another great and detail-laden review @Errol. Sadly the information conveyed is disappointing. I was hoping the Osprey would be a homerun for Blackland. But you're right, it is all about the marketing, and not just with Blackland.

Adjustment Range –

• #1 - #2 – Useless
  • #4 – Karve CB Level #B
  • #5 – Karve CB Level #C
  • #7 – Karve CB Level #D

Blade Tab – Covered

Weight – 103.1g

Head Width – 42.77mm

Handle Length – 92.78mm

Availability – Blackland

That why you're the guru @Errol as always detailed, honest and trusty worthy with the reviews so thanks for the amazing work you do for this community!

..."a frog in a sock"...

Fantastic. Blackland will never live that one down. :ROFLMAO:

Truly, I wanted to like this razor, but even just looking at it I could see too many issues. Great review @Errol, as always.

I'll leave this one untouched. Are you planning on reviewing the new 2024 version of the Sabre when it comes out, or will it be too hard to forgive Blackland for the original version? ;)

..."a frog in a sock"...

Fantastic. Blackland will never live that one down. :ROFLMAO:

Truly, I wanted to like this razor, but even just looking at it I could see too many issues. Great review @Errol, as always.

I'll leave this one untouched. Are you planning on reviewing the new 2024 version of the Sabre when it comes out, or will it be too hard to forgive Blackland for the original version? ;)
I did receive an email from Blackland re the Sabre but thought it was only a restocking notice, I’ll have to check this out. If it is a new version I will certainly get one but it won’t be a machined version.

I did receive an email from Blackland re the Sabre but thought it was only a restocking notice, I’ll have to check this out. If it is a new version I will certainly get one but it won’t be a machined version.
Their machined razors respond well to just 10 minutes' work with a strip of fine wet & dry. Just enough to take the edge off those corners and reduce the "grittiness" of the machine finish, without actually polishing it. The treatment's not for everybody, but it works for me.

I'm unlikely to pop for the new Sabre unless it's radically different from the old, as I'm enjoying the AD Vestige which is a hard act for anyone to follow.

Tatara Muramasa Adjustable Ti (Portugal)

No thanks to Fedex for the delivery of this razor. Their standover tactics, intimidation, threats and demands were nothing short of disgraceful and not what was expected from one of the world’s big international courier companies, all for a bit of GST and import duties they were collecting for the government. It felt so much like a scammer that at any point, I was never sure it wasn’t. When Tatara released a range of titanium razors in 2022 there was only 25 Muramasa Ti Adjustable razors in that release. These disappeared very quickly, I missed out but my name was on the backup list should anyone not come up with the necessary, but it never happened. When the second release of Muramasa Ti’s Adjustables was announced, you can be sure I was in there, boots and all. I feel sorry for anyone who purchased from the initial drop, but I’ll take one however I can get it. It’s only when you pick up the razor that you realise that it is the titanium version you have, visually it is impossible to pick from the stainless steel version.

Any adjustable razor that comes with a tool to strip the mechanism gets a huge tick from me. While the tool was never used during the review it’s comforting to know that should something not operate satisfactorily the razor can be stripped. Sure, I could have stripped the Muramasa down and seen how the mechanism worked but during my life as a maintenance fitter, I saw too many instances where something was working perfectly well till the unknowing stripped it down and it never worked again. Very few manufacturers of adjustable razors stray too far from the tried and tested two piece base plate, but Tatara have stepped back and gone about gaining their adjustability in a totally unique fashion; their adjustability is achieved by the expansion and contraction of the plate in the horizontal plane. This movement allows the head to be much thinner and at a quick glance, one could be forgiven for thinking it is not adjustable. Blade clamping is taken care of on wide flats at the edge of the cap and it does not matter which way round the cap is positioned, adjustability is not affected. The detailing and finish of this razor is superb, even the pop holes on the handle fade out towards the end as they swirl around the handle.

Next time I get to civilization, I’m going to have to get my eyes checked again; even with my spectacles on, I had difficulty reading the adjusting number in the watch like calendar window. Please Tatara, a bigger window and larger numbers next time. I was hoping that Tatara would have had a play with blade gaps on their new titanium version of the Muramasa Adjustable and opened them up, but they haven’t. I achieved exactly the same results as I got from the stainless steel version. Because there are five settings and the first two are next to useless, there are only three usable settings. Level #5 was perfect for me but anyone wanting more efficiency will be disappointed. At level #5 the shave was super smooth, and the positive blade protrusion was perfect for a close shave. Where the titanium version does shine is in the weight department, being under 60g in weight, it feels nicely weighted. I could quite easily have continued using the Muramasa Ti on setting #5 forever.

Adjustment Range – #1 - #5
  • #1 – Totally useless
  • #2 – No better than useless
  • #3 – Karve CB Level #B - useable
  • #4 – Karve CB Level #C minus – pleasant blade feel
  • #5 – Karve CB Level #D – pleasant blade feel
Blades Used – Wizamet Polsilver and Super-Max

Material – Gr 5 Titanium

Blade Tab – Covered

Weight – 58.7g

Head Width – 43.85mm

Handle Length – 79.51mm

Handle Diameter – 11.67mm

Availability – Tatara

Final Word – Good, but

Tatara Muramasa Adjustable Ti (Portugal)

No thanks to Fedex for the delivery of this razor. Their standover tactics, intimidation, threats and demands were nothing short of disgraceful and not what was expected from one of the world’s big international courier companies, all for a bit of GST and import duties they were collecting for the government. It felt so much like a scammer that at any point, I was never sure it wasn’t. When Tatara released a range of titanium razors in 2022 there was only 25 Muramasa Ti Adjustable razors in that release. These disappeared very quickly, I missed out but my name was on the backup list should anyone not come up with the necessary, but it never happened. When the second release of Muramasa Ti’s Adjustables was announced, you can be sure I was in there, boots and all. I feel sorry for anyone who purchased from the initial drop, but I’ll take one however I can get it. It’s only when you pick up the razor that you realise that it is the titanium version you have, visually it is impossible to pick from the stainless steel version.

Any adjustable razor that comes with a tool to strip the mechanism gets a huge tick from me. While the tool was never used during the review it’s comforting to know that should something not operate satisfactorily the razor can be stripped. Sure, I could have stripped the Muramasa down and seen how the mechanism worked but during my life as a maintenance fitter, I saw too many instances where something was working perfectly well till the unknowing stripped it down and it never worked again. Very few manufacturers of adjustable razors stray too far from the tried and tested two piece base plate, but Tatara have stepped back and gone about gaining their adjustability in a totally unique fashion; their adjustability is achieved by the expansion and contraction of the plate in the horizontal plane. This movement allows the head to be much thinner and at a quick glance, one could be forgiven for thinking it is not adjustable. Blade clamping is taken care of on wide flats at the edge of the cap and it does not matter which way round the cap is positioned, adjustability is not affected. The detailing and finish of this razor is superb, even the pop holes on the handle fade out towards the end as they swirl around the handle.

Next time I get to civilization, I’m going to have to get my eyes checked again; even with my spectacles on, I had difficulty reading the adjusting number in the watch like calendar window. Please Tatara, a bigger window and larger numbers next time. I was hoping that Tatara would have had a play with blade gaps on their new titanium version of the Muramasa Adjustable and opened them up, but they haven’t. I achieved exactly the same results as I got from the stainless steel version. Because there are five settings and the first two are next to useless, there are only three usable settings. Level #5 was perfect for me but anyone wanting more efficiency will be disappointed. At level #5 the shave was super smooth, and the positive blade protrusion was perfect for a close shave. Where the titanium version does shine is in the weight department, being under 60g in weight, it feels nicely weighted. I could quite easily have continued using the Muramasa Ti on setting #5 forever.

Adjustment Range – #1 - #5
  • #1 – Totally useless
  • #2 – No better than useless
  • #3 – Karve CB Level #B - useable
  • #4 – Karve CB Level #C minus – pleasant blade feel
  • #5 – Karve CB Level #D – pleasant blade feel
Blades Used – Wizamet Polsilver and Super-Max

Material – Gr 5 Titanium

Blade Tab – Covered

Weight – 58.7g

Head Width – 43.85mm

Handle Length – 79.51mm

Handle Diameter – 11.67mm

Availability – Tatara

Final Word – Good, but
I have a feeling that Tatara may revisit this razor for a version 2 some day. The R&D on the mechanism has more legs in it to make them much more money. Of course they will have to do something about the overall design as the numbers are far too small as too is the window of visibility. I did suggest they drop a small magnification lens inside the hole but I don't know if that is possible for them. Another option is to choose a bunch of logical colours to ascend to upon each level/number change. Realistically they could do the numbers as well as the colours and maybe have the numbers in black or keep the white numbers too on colour backgrounds but as long as the numbers are in good contrast to the colour backdrops. There are a number of options here but it appears that it isn't to be at least for now.

I have began to become more used to the Muramasa as time has gone along but I do feel that the razor goes from zero to one hundred real quick and the fact that the adjustment window is so small and the ranges so tight that it does not encourage half steps at all.

I will say that (for me) when it performs it really performs and knocks it out of the park on efficiency. When it comes to adjustable razors there should be a lot of headroom for adjustments and most people should not be able to max out the settings and be left asking for more.

With all that has been said about this razor I still admire it for it's technical feats and appear to have a soft spot in my heart for it.

Excellent review! I don't know what was more exciting the review on the razor or the review on FEDEX. Definitely sounds like FEDEX need to up their game. I love the level comparisons. Great work!

Reggie’s Razor Titan (England)

I removed the Titan from its packaging for a photo and to write the description; while the Titan is described as titanium, this little nugget feels quite heavy, better check things out here. Scales do not lie; it could not be that light if it wasn’t titanium. There is a countersink at the back of the plate, about the size to accommodate a nylon washer, but the end of the handle disappears into the countersink if a nylon washer is not inserted. Reggie’s machined the cap to be very light and fitted it with round blade posts that hide in blind holes in the plate. Blade clamping is set inside the edge of the cap and behind the lather clearing groove. Circumferential grooves machined along the length of any handle suit the style of the Titan razor and do not look out of place. Dumb me; there is machining on the end of the handle that had me thinking; I could not work out what it was there for. Studying the design, I was rotating the handle and there it was, it suddenly jumped out at me – a bloody ‘R’. Reggie’s Titan is only offered in one finish and that is achieved by a multi-level hand polished process, looks good but the underside of the cap displays untouched machining marks.

You know you’re in for a great shave when that first stroke with a new razor feels so good. With efficiency mid way between Karve CB level #C and #D and nigh on perfection for blade feel, this is shaving satisfaction at its best. And the cream on top is when I rub the back of my fingers down the side of my face, across the chin and under the neck and there is absolutely nothing to be felt, the Titan has delivered such a close shave. Using this razor is a relaxing experience, and not once did I feel intimidated or that I was not in complete control of my destiny. Reggie’s have done a magnificent job with this little nugget and I find it difficult to fault the Titan in any way, shaving bliss. Keeping with the celestial theme, Reggie’s also have a stainless steel version named the Saturn; that one is on my shopping list, but I suspect that it will have the same geometry as the Titan. There’s nothing wrong with that.

Blades Used – Gillette 7 O’Clock Yellow and Gillette Nacet

Material – Grade 2 Titanium

Blade Tab – Covered

Weight – 65.2g

Head Width – 43.03mm

Handle Length – 84.83mm

Handle Diameter – 11.99mm

Availability – Reggie’s Razor

Final Word – There are few better

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy and Prosperous New Year

Reggie’s Razor Titan (England)

I removed the Titan from its packaging for a photo and to write the description; while the Titan is described as titanium, this little nugget feels quite heavy, better check things out here. Scales do not lie; it could not be that light if it wasn’t titanium. There is a countersink at the back of the plate, about the size to accommodate a nylon washer, but the end of the handle disappears into the countersink if a nylon washer is not inserted. Reggie’s machined the cap to be very light and fitted it with round blade posts that hide in blind holes in the plate. Blade clamping is set inside the edge of the cap and behind the lather clearing groove. Circumferential grooves machined along the length of any handle suit the style of the Titan razor and do not look out of place. Dumb me; there is machining on the end of the handle that had me thinking; I could not work out what it was there for. Studying the design, I was rotating the handle and there it was, it suddenly jumped out at me – a bloody ‘R’. Reggie’s Titan is only offered in one finish and that is achieved by a multi-level hand polished process, looks good but the underside of the cap displays untouched machining marks.

You know you’re in for a great shave when that first stroke with a new razor feels so good. With efficiency mid way between Karve CB level #C and #D and nigh on perfection for blade feel, this is shaving satisfaction at its best. And the cream on top is when I rub the back of my fingers down the side of my face, across the chin and under the neck and there is absolutely nothing to be felt, the Titan has delivered such a close shave. Using this razor is a relaxing experience, and not once did I feel intimidated or that I was not in complete control of my destiny. Reggie’s have done a magnificent job with this little nugget and I find it difficult to fault the Titan in any way, shaving bliss. Keeping with the celestial theme, Reggie’s also have a stainless steel version named the Saturn; that one is on my shopping list, but I suspect that it will have the same geometry as the Titan. There’s nothing wrong with that.

Blades Used – Gillette 7 O’Clock Yellow and Gillette Nacet

Material – Grade 2 Titanium

Blade Tab – Covered

Weight – 65.2g

Head Width – 43.03mm

Handle Length – 84.83mm

Handle Diameter – 11.99mm

Availability – Reggie’s Razor

Final Word – There are few better

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy and Prosperous New Year
Happy Holidays mate and thanks for all the detailed reviews!

Happy Holidays P&C members!!!

Yaqi Romulus (China)

How on earth could the Blackland Vector be immune from cloning, the Chinese have been very busy making counterfeits of just about every other reputable razor. From its narrow head profile to the cut down handle post and its Twiggie style handle, this is a true Vector clone if ever there was one. It was off to a bad start for the Romulus; as I was removing the tight plastic wrap it was packaged in, I managed to cut my finger on the installed blade. Emmm, must pay more attention next time I unwrap a new razor. I’ll get my revenge on that blade; it will be used for the first shave. Yaqi may have gone a little too far in polishing the Romulus, the lather channels and the grooves for the blade post have rounded edges. It certainly sparkles though except for faint machining marks under the cap and a recess in the top of the plate. Like the design of its doner razor, there is no excess metal to be found anywhere in this razor, and the thread engagement is smooth even with its machined down handle post. While mimicking the Vector handle profile, it has the long neck but with machined circumferential grooves for the forward grip and again towards the rear. Overall, the razor is very appealing to the eye.

Because of its long, narrow profile, I found myself gripping the handle further back than normal and that landed me in the smooth section between the two bands of machined grooves. In that position the razor had a tendency to rotate between my fingers especially with soap added to the equation. That’s it – that was all I have to complain about, not even the unknown Chinese blade could draw a negative comment. If you felt put off or threatened by the Vector because you imagined that it would be too savage for your liking, the Romulus may just be the answer to your prayers. With efficiency that’s a step down on the Vector; around Karve CB Level #C and a corresponding reduction in blade feel, the Romulus was ever so smooth to use. Shaving can be so enjoyable with a pleasant mannered razor delivering such a great shave and so little input from me. Surprisingly, the shave was just as close as if I’d concentrated hard with any other razor. Yaqi have done a creditable job with the Romulus and other than my complaint about the handle, I thoroughly enjoyed my time using the Romulus.

Blades Used – Unknown Chinese blade and Schick P-30

Material –
316 Stainless Steel

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 66.7g

Head Width – 50.20mm

Handle Length – 92.00mm

Handle Diameter – 10.93mm

Availability – Aliexpress

Final Word - Sweet

The Romululs has become my go-to for a quick shave, or the Yaqi slope. Both so smooth. The Slope is definitely better for a few days growth, and could do with some weight reduction (actually, I'd love a double open comb variant of the slope), but such a nice shaver. Did you pick one up while you were getting the Romulus?