Weekly Razor Review

The Romululs has become my go-to for a quick shave, or the Yaqi slope. Both so smooth. The Slope is definitely better for a few days growth, and could do with some weight reduction (actually, I'd love a double open comb variant of the slope), but such a nice shaver. Did you pick one up while you were getting the Romulus?
The quality, and more importantly the performance of Chinese razors is improving with every new release. When I tested the Romulus the shave was so smooth that I felt it unnecessary to use an after shave and that does not happen often. It is a very good razor. I don't have the Slope but that could change. It is so hard to keep up with the number of machined razors coming out of China that I've almost given up trying. I grab the occasional Chinese razor these days only if there is something a bit unique about it. I have a number of Chinese razors on my 'to review' list but they keep getting shuffled out. By the time I get around to reviewing a lot of them, they will be antique. Keep enjoying the Romulus and Slope.

Aylsworth Drakkant Ti (USA)

When I heard that the Drakkant Ti was being released in limited numbers, I suspected that they might be serial numbered. I requested my favourite number but was advised that the razors were not being numbered, instead each batch would be numbered; this razor is clearly marked 01/ 2023. Aylsworth’s stainless steel Drakkant delivered a pleasant enough shave, but it did leave me feeling like I needed more efficiency. I must not have been alone with this feeling because Aylsworth reacted by offering a plus plate as an option along with an open comb plate. Wisely, the Drakkant Ti has been fitted with the plus plate as standard. There are few, if any, visual changes made to the design of the head. Drakkant’s Ti retains the very light weight cap with blade clamping on large flats at its edges, round blade posts and a complex machined base plate. Where there has been a change is to the handle, the Ti’s handle is more like the Kopparkant with its middle section radiused out. My Drakkant Ti has a fine bead blasted finish even on the underside of the cap, no doubt about it, this is my favourite finish for a titanium razor, wins me over every time.

It's fair to say that I was expecting great results with the Drakkant Ti, and it did not take long to realise I was closing out 2023 with one exceptional razor. Alysworth’s Drakkant Ti was below Karve CB Level #D in efficiency and there was a pleasant amount of blade feel that made the shave feel ever so smooth and comfortable. For the first blade I used the packaged Feathers, it was superb, so I went to the opposite end of the performance scale for the second blade, I chose a Muhle blade – little appreciable difference. This is one of those confidence inspiring razors which leaves you feeling that you could shave for eternity and not do yourself a misadventure. Aylsworth have recently released another model called the Apex; it will have to be extraordinary to equal the Drakkant Ti; the Aylsworth Drakkant Ti is one brilliant piece of hardware.

Blades Used – Feather and Muhle

Material – Grade 5 Titanium

Blade Tab – Covered

Weight – 52g

Head Width – 43.62mm

Handle Length – 89.94mm

Handle Diameter – 11.51mm

Availability – Aylsworth

Final Word – Top shelf

Razor of the Year 2023

Selecting a razor for the Razor of the Year is something that is in the back of my mind whenever I’m shaving with an eligible razor. If a new razor was released at the very end of 2022 or during 2023 it’s up for consideration if I’ve used it. The value of the razor is not a consideration but having said that I generally purchase machined razors and they are inherently more expensive; if it was a plastic razor that was released in 2023 and it delivered the performance I’m looking for, there is no reason why it could not be the Razor of the Year. This year there was a constant stream of new razors to keep me busy. Below are the razors that were considered:
  • Razorock Superslant L2++ – Stainless steel adjustable slant, achieved by changing plates, many options, big twist on the bade, small amount of blade protrusion, smooth but requires more efficiency, nothing to write home about.
  • Goodfellas Syntesi – Stainless steel, no excess metal on head, sloppy handle thread, good manoeuvrability, low mid-range efficiency, enjoyable.
  • Lambda Ares v2 – Bronze alloy, open comb, heavier than the original, efficient with blade feel, no sensation of using an OC, superb.
  • La Faulx – Titanium, available in stainless steel, copper, brass and bronze, mid efficiency, blade selection is paramount.
  • La Faulx OC – Stainless steel, long sharp teeth, no idea where the blade is positioned, claws dug into face, no chance of a smooth shave, horrible.
  • Wolfman Guerrilla 2023 – Bronze, also available in stainless steel, machine finish, a change of position for the blade posts from the plate to the cap is the most obvious change to the original, safe as a house but on the mild side, options of more efficient plates available, comfortable but more oomph required.
  • Pearl Hammer – Brass triple plated, Rugged build, heavy and awkward, efficient but not smooth, needs weight removed, comfortable shave, rugged.
  • Blackland Lite – Stainless steel, plate only purchased, quality machining, mild and very smooth, prefer the original, watered down Blackbird, just another razor.
  • Alysworth Kopparkant – Machined in China, brass, has many of the features of the Drakkant, attractive, very mild shave, neutral blade protrusion, just another razor.
  • Bronze Age Achilles – Stainless steel head and plated brass handle, ugly blob on end of handle, very agricultural in appearance, heavy and ugly, delivered a surprisingly good shave.
  • Wolfman WR4 0.70 – Made for AC blades, stainless steel, quality machining, no excessive metal in the head, above mid range efficiency, appropriate positive blade protrusion, polished perfection.
  • Boti Razor Titanium – Gr5 titanium, artistic finish, higher than mid range efficiency, positive blade, great shave, pretty boy.
  • Rocnel SE-36 – 316 Stainless steel, one piece razor with no moving parts, takes ½ of a DE blade, blade retained in a circular cut in the head, long blade tab, mid range efficiency, smooth, a little beauty.
  • Reggie’s Razor Titan Ti – Titanium, polished finish, mid range efficiency, smooth and close, there’s not many better.
  • Aylsworth Drakkant Ti – Limited production, sold in batches, fitted with the plus plate as standard, broad range of shaving angles, medium efficiency, top stuff.
  • Blackland Ospery Adjustable – stainless steel, machine finish, sharp edges, difficult to read engraved numbers, unfinished, nothing new, almost achieved the 100g weight target, smooth and comfortable, a marketing exercise.
  • Tatara Muramasa Ti’s Adjustable – Titanium, limited production, very well finished, adjustability achieved by expanding the plate in the horizontal, lower two settings useless, top three settings exceptional, good, but.
  • West Coast Shaving American Liberty – 316 Stainless steel, said to be designed by Charcoal Goods, revamp of the Holywood Palm razor, very small efficiency increase, if any, just another razor.
  • Yaqi Romulus – Stainless steel, clone of the Blackland Vector, lower mid range efficiency, super smooth shave, sweet.
  • Rocnel Sailor 2023 Master Collection – 316 stainless steel, overweight, Rolex watch like finish, difficult to read numbers, useable through all 9 settings, very comfortable.
When I first started writing these reviews, razor producers were in a different frame of mind to what they deliver today and mild was the flavour of the day. Thank goodness, there has been a realisation that users have a vastly different requirement and with many razors it is possible to choose the efficiency of your preference, from mild to wild. There are always razors that don’t live up to their potential, but most of the razors I have used this year have been superb, thus making the final result more interesting. In the hands of someone else their choice could be totally different, and I would never argue their decision because what they require from the razor and how it feels in their hands is very different to my requirement. Drum roll - my Razor of the Year for 2023 is the Wolfman WR4; a choice of metals and a wide selection of efficiency levels. Wolfman have designed and delivered a truly delightful performer with the machining and finishing expertise that only Wolfman can, a worthy winner.

Razor of the Year 2023

Selecting a razor for the Razor of the Year is something that is in the back of my mind whenever I’m shaving with an eligible razor. If a new razor was released at the very end of 2022 or during 2023 it’s up for consideration if I’ve used it. The value of the razor is not a consideration but having said that I generally purchase machined razors and they are inherently more expensive; if it was a plastic razor that was released in 2023 and it delivered the performance I’m looking for, there is no reason why it could not be the Razor of the Year. This year there was a constant stream of new razors to keep me busy. Below are the razors that were considered:
  • Razorock Superslant L2++ – Stainless steel adjustable slant, achieved by changing plates, many options, big twist on the bade, small amount of blade protrusion, smooth but requires more efficiency, nothing to write home about.
  • Goodfellas Syntesi – Stainless steel, no excess metal on head, sloppy handle thread, good manoeuvrability, low mid-range efficiency, enjoyable.
  • Lambda Ares v2 – Bronze alloy, open comb, heavier than the original, efficient with blade feel, no sensation of using an OC, superb.
  • La Faulx – Titanium, available in stainless steel, copper, brass and bronze, mid efficiency, blade selection is paramount.
  • La Faulx OC – Stainless steel, long sharp teeth, no idea where the blade is positioned, claws dug into face, no chance of a smooth shave, horrible.
  • Wolfman Guerrilla 2023 – Bronze, also available in stainless steel, machine finish, a change of position for the blade posts from the plate to the cap is the most obvious change to the original, safe as a house but on the mild side, options of more efficient plates available, comfortable but more oomph required.
  • Pearl Hammer – Brass triple plated, Rugged build, heavy and awkward, efficient but not smooth, needs weight removed, comfortable shave, rugged.
  • Blackland Lite – Stainless steel, plate only purchased, quality machining, mild and very smooth, prefer the original, watered down Blackbird, just another razor.
  • Alysworth Kopparkant – Machined in China, brass, has many of the features of the Drakkant, attractive, very mild shave, neutral blade protrusion, just another razor.
  • Bronze Age Achilles – Stainless steel head and plated brass handle, ugly blob on end of handle, very agricultural in appearance, heavy and ugly, delivered a surprisingly good shave.
  • Wolfman WR4 0.70 – Made for AC blades, stainless steel, quality machining, no excessive metal in the head, above mid range efficiency, appropriate positive blade protrusion, polished perfection.
  • Boti Razor Titanium – Gr5 titanium, artistic finish, higher than mid range efficiency, positive blade, great shave, pretty boy.
  • Rocnel SE-36 – 316 Stainless steel, one piece razor with no moving parts, takes ½ of a DE blade, blade retained in a circular cut in the head, long blade tab, mid range efficiency, smooth, a little beauty.
  • Reggie’s Razor Titan Ti – Titanium, polished finish, mid range efficiency, smooth and close, there’s not many better.
  • Aylsworth Drakkant Ti – Limited production, sold in batches, fitted with the plus plate as standard, broad range of shaving angles, medium efficiency, top stuff.
  • Blackland Ospery Adjustable – stainless steel, machine finish, sharp edges, difficult to read engraved numbers, unfinished, nothing new, almost achieved the 100g weight target, smooth and comfortable, a marketing exercise.
  • Tatara Muramasa Ti’s Adjustable – Titanium, limited production, very well finished, adjustability achieved by expanding the plate in the horizontal, lower two settings useless, top three settings exceptional, good, but.
  • West Coast Shaving American Liberty – 316 Stainless steel, said to be designed by Charcoal Goods, revamp of the Holywood Palm razor, very small efficiency increase, if any, just another razor.
  • Yaqi Romulus – Stainless steel, clone of the Blackland Vector, lower mid range efficiency, super smooth shave, sweet.
  • Rocnel Sailor 2023 Master Collection – 316 stainless steel, overweight, Rolex watch like finish, difficult to read numbers, useable through all 9 settings, very comfortable.
When I first started writing these reviews, razor producers were in a different frame of mind to what they deliver today and mild was the flavour of the day. Thank goodness, there has been a realisation that users have a vastly different requirement and with many razors it is possible to choose the efficiency of your preference, from mild to wild. There are always razors that don’t live up to their potential, but most of the razors I have used this year have been superb, thus making the final result more interesting. In the hands of someone else their choice could be totally different, and I would never argue their decision because what they require from the razor and how it feels in their hands is very different to my requirement. Drum roll - my Razor of the Year for 2023 is the Wolfman WR4; a choice of metals and a wide selection of efficiency levels. Wolfman have designed and delivered a truly delightful performer with the machining and finishing expertise that only Wolfman can, a worthy winner.

Excellent choice @Errol! The WR4 is a great razor. And I'm glad you considered the RazoRock Superslant. My L2 performs on a par with my original Wunderbar.

Razor of the Year 2023

Nice work @Errol !
Another one for the wish list.

Razor of the Year 2023

Wowzers that's one great list... Many thanks for all the reviews @Errol and hoping 2024 brings us good health and prosperity!!!!

@SpeedyPC I‘ve never sold a razor
giphy.gif

Razor of the Year 2023

Thanks, Errol. Great work and super helpful. Look forward to reading each week's reviews. Many thanks to Razor Burn for introducing me to you several years back. All the best in 24.
My pleasure @mtpedals (y)

RazoRock Babysmooth Ti

In 2017 I selected the RazoRock Babysmooth Ti as my razor of the year, but I’ve never written a review on it. What did I see in the razor to make such an impression on me? An aluminium version of the Babysmooth had been available for some time, but at its release the Babysmooth Ti joined a very elite group of razors machined from titanium; at that time you could count the number of razors available in titanium on one hand; the odd Wolfman WR1, very few BBS1’s, the first release of the Paradigm razor and that’s about it. I have a soft spot for any razors machined out of titanium so being economical in comparison to the others in the group, the Babysmooth Ti was certainly off to a good start. When looking at the head, the obvious feature is the curvature of the plate and its corresponding cap. Two round posts on the cap provide blade locating for the blade that is almost 100% positively secured between the plate and cap. Some minor machining marks are visible on the underside of the cap but for an economically priced razor it’s good and the head has a bead blasted satin finish. Contrasting with the satin finish on the head, the handle is polished.

It's hard to believe that it’s more than six years since I used this razor, where does the time go? Very early into the first shave and memories of the performance of this razor were coming back to me. It was probably a little more efficient than I remembered and at about Karve CB level #C, you won’t find me complaining. There is a small amount of positive blade feel and the delivered shave was extremely comfortable. While I’m generally not a fan of circular grooves along the shaft of a razor handle, they provided positive grip, and in visual terms, they complement the rounded style of the head. RazoRock’s Babysmooth has been out of production for about six years, but my advice is to grab one if ever you get the chance, this razor is good.

Blades Used – Gillette Nacet and Feather

Material – Titanium

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 66g

Head Width – 43.83mm

Handle Length – 90.7mm

Handle Diameter – 12.9mm

Availability – Out of Production

Final Word – Aptly named