Weekly Razor Review

Wolfman WR1 Ti 0.54mm OC – Darwin Handle (Canada)

Wolfman’s WR1 razors have been available for years and are popular with many users; unfortunately, some of the results I have achieved with the WR1 has not fully converted me. In saying that, there have been some good shaves, but thinking back, it has been the OC version that has impressed me, so the selection of the OC plate was made with that concept as my foundation. I thought long and hard about the efficiency level for this WR1 before eventually decided on the 0.54mm plate, it’s milder than the standard Wolfman plate but maybe it’s what I need. Setting a WR1 apart from other razors is its great design and they have the lightest possible head with blade clamping at the very edge of the cap. To complete the package, I selected a Darwin handle, all in titanium and finished in a brushed matte finish; spectacular is an understatement.

Wolfman do not provide identification for the plate on their razors, and this can, at times become confusing. My results from this razor correspond precisely with those I achieved when I reviewed the WR1, 0.61mm OC razor, not that there is anything to complain about with that result. Karve CB Level #C efficiency and a very pleasant amount of blade feel made for a smooth and comfortable shave. There was light feel of the teeth from the open comb, but it was not at all unpleasant, those teeth simply caressed the face as they passed over. I’ve never noted previously just how spindly the Wolfman’s Darwin handle felt in use; there was never any loss in control, it just felt like it required a bit of beefing out in the forward gripping section. Absolutely loved using this WR1, that was enjoyable shaving.

Blades Used – Wizamet Polsilver and Willy’s

Material – Grade 5 Titanium

Weight – 46g

Blade Tab - Exposed

Head Width – 41.58mm

Handle Length – 89.93mm

Handle Diameter – Darwin style

Availability – Wolfman

Final Word – Wow

Great review @Errol, and a nice looking razor. Is that the premium brushed finish or the basic brushed? It looks nice. As of today, I'm up to week 7 on the waitlist for my WR4, so I haven't yet had that conversation.
I’m pretty sure I just requested the brush finish. On the titanium, I don’t think there is premium or basic. You must be getting close to that important email so work out exactly what you want. After payment is made, there are no changes. Hang in there it will be worth the wait.

Darwin Deluxe – Variant #6 (England)

Tucked safely away is my Darwin Standard and now finally I have that elusive Darwin Deluxe razor I’ve been thinking about for so long. Strutting around like the prized rooster, chest puffed out, stupid smirk on my face, giving myself a big pat on the back, I now have both versions of the famed Darwin razor. Then, and then I’m enlightened that there are ten different variants of the solid handle Darwin Razor. Wanted – other versions of Darwin Razors.

This razor is in that 100 year old bracket having been produced somewhere between 1920 and 1930. Darwin Deluxe razors have the distinction of being cast in cobalt steel. Cobalt steel is very hard, casts very accurately and has a low affinity to oxygen therefore the threat of corrosion is considerably reduced, all sought after qualities when looking for a material to produce a razor from – makes me wonder why it is not used any more. There can be no misunderstanding who made the razor, the word ‘DARWIN’ is emblazoned on one side on the top of the cap and on the other side is the Patent No. It’s two round blade posts rise from the base plate and protrude completely through the cap. The cap is not as long as the plate but there is ample length to clamp the blade securely. Darwin chose to clamp the blade on flats at the outer extremities of the cap and these mate onto corresponding flats on the plate. Its ‘Darwin Style’ hexagonal handle was designed with those curves, slopes; high and low sections long before the word ergonomic come into the equation. Darwin got the feel of the handle right and it’s very natural to hold. On the Deluxe, the handle is under 80mm long but is ample to provide sufficient grip for a safe shave. An unusual feature of the handle is that it has a male thread that screws into the cap resulting in three little protrusions through the top of the cap.

I don’t remember having any difficulties when I loaded the blade into the Deluxe to take a photo but when it came time to load the blade for a shave, I felt clumsy, like I was trying to fit the blade using three left thumbs. I could not get the blade fitted into the razor. Then I noticed that the cut out in the blade and the blade posts did not fully align; a little squeeze and the blade was on. Check, recheck and there is no obvious wave in the blade and it appears to be sitting how it should, good enough to give it a whirl. By the 1920’s the layout of razor blades was becoming standardized but there were still variations, Darwin had their own design of blade that was thicker than the modern blade, so the shave is not going to feel the same as the original owner received all those years age. Well Old Timer, I might not have been delivered the same shave as you, but I’m really impressed by the shave I did receive. Karve CB level #D efficiency, some very pleasant blade feel and reasonably smooth. There was certainly no requirement for touch ups, the Deluxe wiped everything away. For such a handsome veteran to deliver such a great shave, I walked away suitably impressed.

Blades Used – Gillette Super Stainless and Gillette 7’Oclock Black

Material – Cobalt Steel

Weight - 72.7g

Blade Tab – Exposed

Head Width – 42.15mm

Handle Length – 78.42mm

Handle Diameter – It’s a Darwin

Availability – Out of Production

Final Word – An oldie but a goodie

The Darwin Deluxe, wow. I had no clue that this one existed. The build quality and design look superb and that Razor is in Pristine condition given its age. Fantastic review as always Errol and a masterclass in vintage rarities for the unacquainted like me.

Darwin Deluxe – Variant #6 (England)

Tucked safely away is my Darwin Standard and now finally I have that elusive Darwin Deluxe razor I’ve been thinking about for so long. Strutting around like the prized rooster, chest puffed out, stupid smirk on my face, giving myself a big pat on the back, I now have both versions of the famed Darwin razor. Then, and then I’m enlightened that there are ten different variants of the solid handle Darwin Razor. Wanted – other versions of Darwin Razors.

This razor is in that 100 year old bracket having been produced somewhere between 1920 and 1930. Darwin Deluxe razors have the distinction of being cast in cobalt steel. Cobalt steel is very hard, casts very accurately and has a low affinity to oxygen therefore the threat of corrosion is considerably reduced, all sought after qualities when looking for a material to produce a razor from – makes me wonder why it is not used any more. There can be no misunderstanding who made the razor, the word ‘DARWIN’ is emblazoned on one side on the top of the cap and on the other side is the Patent No. It’s two round blade posts rise from the base plate and protrude completely through the cap. The cap is not as long as the plate but there is ample length to clamp the blade securely. Darwin chose to clamp the blade on flats at the outer extremities of the cap and these mate onto corresponding flats on the plate. Its ‘Darwin Style’ hexagonal handle was designed with those curves, slopes; high and low sections long before the word ergonomic come into the equation. Darwin got the feel of the handle right and it’s very natural to hold. On the Deluxe, the handle is under 80mm long but is ample to provide sufficient grip for a safe shave. An unusual feature of the handle is that it has a male thread that screws into the cap resulting in three little protrusions through the top of the cap.

I don’t remember having any difficulties when I loaded the blade into the Deluxe to take a photo but when it came time to load the blade for a shave, I felt clumsy, like I was trying to fit the blade using three left thumbs. I could not get the blade fitted into the razor. Then I noticed that the cut out in the blade and the blade posts did not fully align; a little squeeze and the blade was on. Check, recheck and there is no obvious wave in the blade and it appears to be sitting how it should, good enough to give it a whirl. By the 1920’s the layout of razor blades was becoming standardized but there were still variations, Darwin had their own design of blade that was thicker than the modern blade, so the shave is not going to feel the same as the original owner received all those years age. Well Old Timer, I might not have been delivered the same shave as you, but I’m really impressed by the shave I did receive. Karve CB level #D efficiency, some very pleasant blade feel and reasonably smooth. There was certainly no requirement for touch ups, the Deluxe wiped everything away. For such a handsome veteran to deliver such a great shave, I walked away suitably impressed.

Blades Used – Gillette Super Stainless and Gillette 7’Oclock Black

Material – Cobalt Steel

Weight - 72.7g

Blade Tab – Exposed

Head Width – 42.15mm

Handle Length – 78.42mm

Handle Diameter – It’s a Darwin

Availability – Out of Production

Final Word – An oldie but a goodie
Did you borrowed @Mark1966 razor?