What do/did you do for work?

Ferret619

Foolish Possums are not Grand Poobahs
2018 Sabbatical
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
Just curious what it is you gents do to fund your acquisition disorders?

I am a parts interpreter for the local Peugeot/Citroen dealer and have enjoyed the auto industry for the most part over the past decade, however I feel the need for a change so I have just signed up to do my certificate of registration so I can start a career in real estate.

How about you?

I'm a software engineer. Mostly government related work.
I started programming at age 14 and never stopped (I'm 37).

I am biologist, currently phd student on quantitative antarctic science. lt is certainly not the "best" for funding our 'disorders', but yet it is great. Most of my life I have been doing stuff with wildlife, I started to band birds at the age of 8 in Spain, and in the last years I moved a bit more onto the mammal world from small species like lemmings in Norway to massive ones like elephant seals in Antarctica.

I am biologist, currently phd student on quantitative antarctic science. lt is certainly not the "best" for funding our 'disorders', but yet it is great. Most of my life I have been doing stuff with wildlife, I started to band birds at the age of 8 in Spain, and in the last years I moved a bit more onto the mammal world from small species like lemmings in Norway to massive ones like elephant seals in Antarctica.
Guess you can't go out "clubbing" much in Antarctica, so no need to be extravagant with funding the disorder.

Guess you can't go out "clubbing" much in Antarctica, so no need to be extravagant with funding the disorder.
Actually... the longest period of my life without alcohol consumption since... maybe when I was 16, was on a 2 month voyage to Heard Island (Australian research vessels are 'dry'), but in the antarctic bases there is normally a brewery (beer is free, with several different styles), and you can order serious stuff with your cargo fully tax free and will be delivered on a ressuply voyage. I got initiated on Islay whisky down there :D

These threads are always so interesting... Gives an insight into our fellow members.

I'm 34 and am "retired".
This is not at all good for acquisition disorders but i was always interested in freedom more than anything else!!

I trained as a financial adviser but didn't have the patience to deal with clients so became an associate and did the back-end strategy work.

I don't like corporate life, i don't like offices!... So last year i got married and moved to India (i was born in India but spent most of my life in Sydney).

I do some shares and derivatives trading to live and whilst this may be financially restrictive, i have the freedom i always wanted!!

I also research and guide people with alternative cancer treatments.

These threads are always so interesting... Gives an insight into our fellow members.

I'm 34 and am "retired".
This is not at all good for acquisition disorders but i was always interested in freedom more than anything else!!

I trained as a financial adviser but didn't have the patience to deal with clients so became an associate and did the back-end strategy work.

I don't like corporate life, i don't like offices!... So last year i got married and moved to India (i was born in India but spent most of my life in Sydney).

I do some shares and derivatives trading to live and whilst this may be financially restrictive, i have the freedom i always wanted!!

I also research and guide people with alternative cancer treatments.

Nice. Have you looked at forex at all?
And on the topic of cancer there is a great series being aired at the moment at the chrisbeatcancer site for those who are interested.

Nice. Have you looked at forex at all?
And on the topic of cancer there is a great series being aired at the moment at the chrisbeatcancer site for those who are interested.

I've looked into Forex but the strategy i use is a conservative one as I can't risk too much... But yes, i am interested in taking a look at lower capital, short term speculative trades, such as Forex.

Do you trade also?

Thanks for letting me know about the cancer series, I shall check it out shortly.

I've looked into Forex but the strategy i use is a conservative one as I can't risk too much... But yes, i am interested in taking a look at lower capital, short term speculative trades, such as Forex.

Do you trade also?

Thanks for letting me know about the cancer series, I shall check it out shortly.

Have gotten into FX about 2 years ago and went live at the start of this year. The good thing is that you can demo trade for free until you have things sorted out (if you ever do). I'm only trading 10c lots for now and the market has been totally rubbish for about 12 months TBH. I did sign up with a mentoring crowd who I had previous contact with so I know they had integrity and don;t always have their hand out for more money like some of the other crowds there. I'm taking it onboard as a five year project before I re assess the situation, kind of like doing a uni degree or a trade but hopefully making more money at the end. :)

Have gotten into FX about 2 years ago and went live at the start of this year. The good thing is that you can demo trade for free until you have things sorted out (if you ever do). I'm only trading 10c lots for now and the market has been totally rubbish for about 12 months TBH. I did sign up with a mentoring crowd who I had previous contact with so I know they had integrity and don;t always have their hand out for more money like some of the other crowds there. I'm taking it onboard as a five year project before I re assess the situation, kind of like doing a uni degree or a trade but hopefully making more money at the end. :)

Wow nice!!
All the best with it!

Who are you trading through?
I have found interactive brokers to be the best in terms of pricing and the platform is very good also!

I've been interested a bit on forex but never go into it and don't have much cash to play around, mostly on some long term investements. I almost finished a degree in bussiness administration many years ago in Spain, I just quit because I didn't saw myself 40 hours a week inside an office doing accounting or consulting and at that time I was already well positioned into several contractors doing wildlife fieldwork and consultancy. I have end up working more hours and earning less, but I am able to not go to office on fixed time schedule (actually, I mostly go on the weekends, when it is less crowded), I can go for a small holiday even whitout an explicit need to ask for it, as the time can be adjusted (ie, 2 weekends working means 4 free days on weektime), or if there is a nice morning weather, I can just do some outdoor stuff and work lately on the afternoon-evening. so it is a bit having freedom like @nav1 mentioned what make my work nice. And of course, lot of fieldwork, penguins, muttonbirds, seals, I've been even trapping tassie devils :D

I've been interested a bit on forex but never go into it and don't have much cash to play around, mostly on some long term investements. I almost finished a degree in bussiness administration many years ago in Spain, I just quit because I didn't saw myself 40 hours a week inside an office doing accounting or consulting and at that time I was already well positioned into several contractors doing wildlife fieldwork and consultancy. I have end up working more hours and earning less, but I am able to not go to office on fixed time schedule (actually, I mostly go on the weekends, when it is less crowded), I can go for a small holiday even whitout an explicit need to ask for it, as the time can be adjusted (ie, 2 weekends working means 4 free days on weektime), or if there is a nice morning weather, I can just do some outdoor stuff and work lately on the afternoon-evening. so it is a bit having freedom like @nav1 mentioned what make my work nice. And of course, lot of fieldwork, penguins, muttonbirds, seals, I've been even trapping tassie devils :D
I could get to do similar but up North (but with different critters). But I hate camping in 35 degree weather, so I try not to go out on the big surveys these days.

I could get to do similar but up North (but with different critters). But I hate camping in 35 degree weather, so I try not to go out on the big surveys these days.
I have the same feeling, I can go to warmer places for some time, specifically, and accept the hot weather, but not as a regular thing. I fell happy in colder environments (and I enjoy the way wildlife works out in extreme environments), that's why I move to Norway and then to Tassie. Tassie weather is a perfect match for me.
BTW, which critters do or did you chase? I have a serious disorder with observing, trapping and tagging wildlife since I was a kid and came home all the time with snakes, lizzards, frogs, turtles, then birds, small mammals... any vertebrate should feel scared next to me :D
My second disorder is collecting tags, I have bird and mammal tags from several countries, including some "unobtanium" or hard to get like israelies, catalonian, or discontinued models from the 40's from switzerland. They are nicely exposed in my former room at my parent's place together with my >100 bird-related books (and maybe 2-300 magazines) that cannot easily travel with me :D