What do/did you do for work?

Work for one of the big FMCG companies in the finance department, specifically contract management. We provide commercial support in reviewing the proposals that come through, working with sales to achieve the optimal outcome for us and the customer. Never been formally trained in finance but a lot is just common sense. I do miss sales though...

Work for one of the big FMCG companies in the finance department, specifically contract management. We provide commercial support in reviewing the proposals that come through, working with sales to achieve the optimal outcome for us and the customer. Never been formally trained in finance but a lot is just common sense. I do miss sales though...
How hard do you think Amazon are going to hit your bottom line?

How hard do you think Amazon are going to hit your bottom line?
For us, it's more about mix shift than lost sales. Our volume is moving away from higher profit areas, towards the likes of national accounts, which are at lower rates. The onset of Amazon etc. where it's less about activation and all about cheap commodity, will have a massive impact. Lots of tough times ahead for a heap of people.

I think I've been classified as an "accountant from hell". Have worked in a variety of industries including furniture removals, franchising, public accounting big and small, parking, local government, energy and now public health. Have met some fascinating people, and a few I'd rather forget.

As my current career in parts is coming to a close (one week eeek) it dawns on me that paying the mortgage and not smashing up my savings is a good thing so I’m looking at other parts roles I can do until the role I’ve been studying for opens :) sort of a light at the end of the tunnel thing.
My concern over the weekend has been how badly does it reflect on me to take a job I only intend to hold for a month or so..

Last edited:
Self-employed importer here, I spend a lot of time in back & forth with logistics companies, agencies etc. A lot of paperwork... I don't like the paperwork at all.

Still, in the last few years, with the government agencies getting online properly, my job has streamlined quite a lot.

I don't enjoy travelling though. It was fun for a while, but a 9-hour flight each way between Sydney and GuangZhou soon becomes dead time. I can't sleep on a plane, so I end up doing cost projections or something to pass the time.

Self-employed importer here, I spend a lot of time in back & forth with logistics companies, agencies etc. A lot of paperwork... I don't like the paperwork at all.

Still, in the last few years, with the government agencies getting online properly, my job has streamlined quite a lot.

I don't enjoy travelling though. It was fun for a while, but a 9-hour flight each way between Sydney and GuangZhou soon becomes dead time. I can't sleep on a plane, so I end up doing cost projections or something to pass the time.

9 hours doing cost projections! Sounds sensat..., OK, I'll be honest. I'd rather be sleeping :)

So would I. Just a quirk of mine. Too light a sleeper, so everything that happens on a plane wakes me up. It's easier to just stay awake.

I wouldn't be doing that crap for 9 hours, but it can absorb a fair amount of time.

Personally, I would rather go cover to cover on a Jack Reacher or Gabriel Allon novel.