What do/did you do for work?

Mostly we go to prospective development sites to do baseline studies on what is there, and what isn't, or follow the bulldozers and rescue what has survived the tree felling. Starting to go towards more camera trapping than pitfalls etc for the baseline studies these days.
Mainly lizards, snakes and the occasional small mammals. We got some northern quolls on camera traps recently which was quite nice.
I'm not really an ecologist though - I just get asked to go along to make up the numbers and help out.

I'm a Senior Structural Revit Technician doing a lot of structural materials and construction methods across a wide range of industry sectors including commercial, residential and industrial developments in buildings, medium to high rise structure, health, education, retail, heritage, sporting facilities, shoring and retention systems, tunnels, retaining walls and other superstructures and major complex structures.

Nice!. I developed some approaches for monitoring small mammals in norway (lemmings and voles) that included camera trapping of them, and it worked pretty well. Never ended pitfall trapping as digging in the tundra is quite hard (and also you have to carry the 'weapon' to dig, that is really heavy, and the stupid sheep may end up broking their legs on the holes and get you in troubles), but I combined dog survey, tracks surveys (with tracking plates made on microscope slides), live trapping and camera trapping. It was quite funny but a lot of statistical work behind too. the thing is that 99% of small mammals research in scandinavia (and I would say, most of the world) is based on snap trapping, and there is also a tima to say, do wee need to kill animals to study them?
It looks I won't travel south this summer, but my boss has arranged some fieldwork for me on the Furneaux group with some japanese deploying animal borne video-cameras on marine wildlife, which is really exciting (and the japanesse guys are top on making this miniatured devices for wildlife tracking) :D

Wow nice!!
All the best with it!

Who are you trading through?
I have found interactive brokers to be the best in terms of pricing and the platform is very good also!

I have an account with FP Markets and IC markets. IC markets recently added bitcoin/usd so I've been watching that lately to try to get a feel for it.

I use these guys as my mentors: https://forexbasicsplus.com/ Pretty sure you can do their level 1 for free.

I've been interested a bit on forex but never go into it and don't have much cash to play around, mostly on some long term investements. I almost finished a degree in bussiness administration many years ago in Spain, I just quit because I didn't saw myself 40 hours a week inside an office doing accounting or consulting and at that time I was already well positioned into several contractors doing wildlife fieldwork and consultancy. I have end up working more hours and earning less, but I am able to not go to office on fixed time schedule (actually, I mostly go on the weekends, when it is less crowded), I can go for a small holiday even whitout an explicit need to ask for it, as the time can be adjusted (ie, 2 weekends working means 4 free days on weektime), or if there is a nice morning weather, I can just do some outdoor stuff and work lately on the afternoon-evening. so it is a bit having freedom like @nav1 mentioned what make my work nice. And of course, lot of fieldwork, penguins, muttonbirds, seals, I've been even trapping tassie devils :D

Nice! You have the best of both worlds and also what sounds to be a very interesting profession! (Although being outdoors in the heat is not something i would ever envy!)

I'm a Senior Structural Revit Technician doing a lot of structural materials and construction methods across a wide range of industry sectors including commercial, residential and industrial developments in buildings, medium to high rise structure, health, education, retail, heritage, sporting facilities, shoring and retention systems, tunnels, retaining walls and other superstructures and major complex structures.

Cool!! What a technically interesting job!

I have an account with FP Markets and IC markets. IC markets recently added bitcoin/usd so I've been watching that lately to try to get a feel for it.

I use these guys as my mentors: https://forexbasicsplus.com/ Pretty sure you can do their level 1 for free.

Thanks! I'll check them out and see what they offer.

You should check out IB and compare not just the Commission but also order fulfillment. IB is far better than other brokers in that they get you better prices on your trades. I see this many times when compared to the other big player, optionsxpress.

Nice one Nav. Thats the way to go. I would like to up stumps and go live in Ireland for a few years, reconnect with all my family that didnt make the move over here. I have been everywhere with the Military, nothing beats coming back to Aus:)

Yeah mate... me too! Why the hell does anyone ever LEAVE this beautiful country? I had 12 years in the Army. Since then an engineer and a sky-pilot! Now gratefully retired! Best job I ever had! I like my boss better than any others I've ever had, too! And my beautiful black mistresses are both called Nikon!

Last edited:
You should check out IB and compare not just the Commission but also order fulfillment. IB is far better than other brokers in that they get you better prices on your trades. I see this many times when compared to the other big player, optionsxpress.

Cheers, FX commissions are about $3.50 per full lot so as I am only trading 10c lots it's about 7c per trade. :)

One day though.......

Nice one Nav. Thats the way to go. I would like to up stumps and go live in Ireland for a few years, reconnect with all my family that didnt make the move over here. I have been everywhere with the Military, nothing beats coming back to Aus:)

The only reason i chose to move is because the reality of the Sydney housing market means i could never dream of the freedom i wanted.

Over here, living costs are inexpensive compared to Sydney (as an example, someone living a $100k lifestyle would live a similar lifestyle for about $30k).

I'd love to move back to Sydney in future but I'll just have to wait and see what the future holds. For now, I'm satisfied with my decision and have enjoyed the last 15 months of freedom :)

Ex-RN/RAAFie here, 25 years Service total; 5 in UK, 20 here.
RN: too many snobs and unnecessary bovine excrement!
RAAF (Intel related): ABSO - BLEEDING - BRILLIANT! Would do it again in a heartbeat (y) .

68 years old on Friday, 15 September, retired on disability pension due to Epilepsy which is a proper bestard!!

Last edited:
arnt we a diverse group, very interesting indeed.
I got all my paper work in for my real estate course which should go live today. I tell ya, It's nerve racking making such a big pivot from spare parts to real estate but I'm so excited, it's been a long time since I was genuinely excited for work.

RAAF (Intel related): ABSO - BLEEDING - BRILLIANT! Would do it again in a heartbeat (y) .

68 years old on Friday, 15 September, retired on disability pension due to Epilepsy which is a proper bestard!!
Happy birthday :)

I.T. during the day(coding, linux systems admin + a bit of everything!), then grow, produce and sell horse feed the rest of the time. An unusual mix but variety is the spice of life. (y) Occasionally find time to shave.

Well, what an interesting bunch you are!

I used to be a 'boring accountant' as some are aware but in 1990 shifted to the NFP sector working for an association of schools. It was initially in an accounting role, then shifted to advising schools, providing industrial relations support and now encompasses advocacy as well as the provision of support in relation to any non-educational issue, which could be compliance and regulatory, tax, charity related, privacy, child protection, duty of care, media, crisis management, governance etc etc - all the fun stuff :)

Along the way I've been on a number of boards in the NFP space, mainly school and church related but also a superannuation fund and been involved in the party political process as a volunteer, campaign manager, part office holder and candidate - just to give me something to do. So remember, vote early and vote often!

It seems many have had careers in a few sectors, What had lead to your significant career shifts?

Well, what an interesting bunch you are!

I used to be a 'boring accountant' as some are aware but in 1990 shifted to the NFP sector working for an association of schools. It was initially in an accounting role, then shifted to advising schools, providing industrial relations support and now encompasses advocacy as well as the provision of support in relation to any non-educational issue, which could be compliance and regulatory, tax, charity related, privacy, child protection, duty of care, media, crisis management, governance etc etc - all the fun stuff :)

Along the way I've been on a number of boards in the NFP space, mainly school and church related but also a superannuation fund and been involved in the party political process as a volunteer, campaign manager, part office holder and candidate - just to give me something to do. So remember, vote early and vote often!

Don't worry @Mark1966 you will always remain a boring bean counter :)

Happy Birthday!!
I hope you have a fantastic time on your special day!

arnt we a diverse group, very interesting indeed.
I got all my paper work in for my real estate course which should go live today. I tell ya, It's nerve racking making such a big pivot from spare parts to real estate but I'm so excited, it's been a long time since I was genuinely excited for work.

Nice! Good luck with it!!
I'm sure you'll do just fine!