What do you have in the post right now?

Don't use PayPal to do the conversion. Let your bank do it and get better rates generally.

How do you take advantage of the PayPal method of payment but let the currency conversion/exchange rate occur as performed by your bank ?

I mean, I know I can do a SWIFT transfer of funds from bank to bank but most merchants on the web don't have the facilities, it's time consuming and there is a transaction cost typically from your bank (I get 5 free a month, but most people do not).

How do you take advantage of the PayPal method of payment but let the currency conversion/exchange rate occur as performed by your bank ?

I mean, I know I can do a SWIFT transfer of funds from bank to bank but most merchants on the web don't have the facilities, it's time consuming and there is a transaction cost typically from your bank (I get 5 free a month, but most people do not).

At the point of processing through PayPal, you get an option (where it tells you the conversion rate) to skip conversion and charge the foreign currency to your credit card. So instead of PayPal changing 10USD to AUD and taking a cut, they just charge your cc 10USD. It's then up to your bank to process.

At the point of processing through PayPal, you get an option (where it tells you the conversion rate) to skip conversion and charge the foreign currency to your credit card. So instead of PayPal changing 10USD to AUD and taking a cut, they just charge your cc 10USD. It's then up to your bank to process.

You legend. Thanks mate I did not know that!

I think is around about $4 or $5 AUD fee
Just be careful. Some banks charge up to 3% transaction fee for foreign institutions or currency charges.

Thanks for the caveat's....the flat fee charges or more so the % comission can easily remove any advantage gained by using the bank exchange rate -V- Paypals.

I will take a look at it when doing the next large order from overseas, all things being equal unless the savings are significant I will stay with the convenience of PayPal I'm thinking.

Just looking at the Commbank 'Standard fees and charges for credit card services' they indicate as follows:
  • Transactions converted by MasterCard® or Visa® - 3.00%
  • Transactions converted by American Express® - 2.00% (plus a currency conversion factor of 1.50% which is included in the converted transaction amount)
  • Transactions in Australian dollars but with an overseas connection - 3.00%

Just looking at the Commbank 'Standard fees and charges for credit card services' they indicate as follows:
  • Transactions converted by MasterCard[emoji768] or Visa[emoji768] - 3.00%
  • Transactions converted by American Express[emoji768] - 2.00% (plus a currency conversion factor of 1.50% which is included in the converted transaction amount)
  • Transactions in Australian dollars but with an overseas connection - 3.00%
That last one is just rude.

I wondered if 'Made in China' counts and this is part of a new 'Aussie First' approach ?

Well, this new 'Aussie First' Approach that you joke of has lead to a massive volume of compliance paperwork when I'm dealing with clients and their property. Firstly, there is the VOI Commonwealth provisions (VOI Certificates) and then there is the bloody fiasco that is the NSW FIRB 10 page Stamp Duty declaration. I spent a good 2 weeks pondering how either of these 'Aussie First' provisions are reasonable, productive, good for the economy, or in any way going to deter illegal foreign ownership and I'll be buggered if I could find them.

/end rant, time for a glass of single malt.

... a massive volume of compliance paperwork ...

... good for the economy...

/end rant, time for a glass of single malt.

Hmm, massive amounts of paperwork - good for the legal economy - they can afford single malts now

/end accountant's dig at lawyers ;)

Gillette Slim L3 Incoming
Gillette Blue Tip / Gillette Rocket / Gillette Silver Flare Tip Outgoing

You're dealing with hundred of years of razors.... [emoji16] (Amazing the history of these razors if you stop and think about it!)

Hmm, massive amounts of paperwork - good for the legal economy - they can afford single malts now

/end accountant's dig at lawyers ;)

How about we all chip in and get a special banner made for you, just below 'Site Moderator' it could say.... 'General Ledger' :p

I did trust accounting as part of my degree by the way, it was quite easily the hardest subject I ever did. Is it a Credit ? is it a Debit ? and why does it go to that ledger and why did my journals never balance having posted all my in and out transactions. I have an accountant to manage my trust account, on top of his fees he gets a rather expensive bottle of wine each christmas for all the grief and stress I make him endure through my hopeless grasp of accounting ;)

How about we all chip in and get a special banner made for you, just below 'Site Moderator' it could say.... 'General Ledger' :p

I did trust accounting as part of my degree by the way, it was quite easily the hardest subject I ever did. Is it a Credit ? is it a Debit ? and why does it go to that ledger and why did my journals never balance having posted all my in and out transactions. I have an accountant to manage my trust account, on top of his fees he gets a rather expensive bottle of wine each christmas for all the grief and stress I make him endure through my hopeless grasp of accounting ;)

Sounds like a wonderful relationship!

[PSSST - trust accounting is REALLY weird!]

Ordered some L'Occitane Cade in a gift set last night, it is currently on special for $85.It's one I have been wanting to try for a while having read such good things about it so I thought why not. Free delivery at the moment too in addition to the price reduction from $110.

Ordered some L'Occitane Cade in a gift set last night, it is currently on special for $85.It's one I have been wanting to try for a while having read such good things about it so I thought why not. Free delivery at the moment too in addition to the price reduction from $110.

Your 'number' is up I think they would say ...

Hey - Happy shaving :)