What lather would you rather, and why?

JugV2

Simply boring.
I have the TOBS sampler and I love the range. I also got Proraso with my first package and it's a great cream. As soon as I got my sampler it was relegated to the bench under the sink as a back up.

The next order will be TOBS Jermyn, Sandalwood and probably Eton, in that order.

The texture and scents of TOBS are amazing for me.

I can get a really good load on my 830 with a minimum nugget of cream.

Sometimes I just lather and do a face-paste just for practice.

After running the gamut of TOBS and Proraso, Speick and Tabac, some hard soaps etc, I can get a great result from any of them, the hard soaps excepted. But I've come to really like the Italian hybrids - Cella and P160. So much so I'm giving Valobra a whirl.

And no matter how long between Proraso lathers, it's always impressive for me when I come back to it.

I am loving TOBS..... Jermyn Street is the pick of them by a mile for me. The new AS lotion is incredible, I've had it on for 9 hours and can still smell it. It is a bit expensive, but very much worth it.

I am also very happy with my Sandalwood cream but will try another brand once that is finished as I hear that there are better scents in the Sandalwood. Another one I like is Shave Shop: a great old-school, honest scent. Makes me smile, feels like I am in an old barbershop.

The test-lather with Rose tonight shocked me. It went down well on my face, and although you could smell it after I rinsed off, it was not overpowering.

I've been disappointed in the Avocado the most. While the moisturising properties are first class, the slickness of the lather and the lubrication for the blade was woefully inadequate for me, and totally different to every other TOBS cream I have tried. I would be interested to get a sample of a brand new, just made Avocado and try that. I feel this one is old and hard, and is likely to be well past its prime.

Lavender is also a disappointment for me in terms of scent. It is a very one-dimensional scent, just 1 type of lavender oil. Would love to see it dialled back a fraction and maybe two different types of lavender oil plus a tiny bit of a woody fragrance to give it some depth.

The Lemon-Lime smells wrong as a cream, gets a little better lathered. I would like to see that re-formulated to Lime, Pattochouili, Bergamot and maybe a touch of Vetiver. As far as Lime creams go right now, it's a joke.

Otherwise, I want to try some other brands. Was wanting Trumper limes or Coconut, however where I was buying from was out of stock. Settled for a tube of violets.

Would also like to try Salter, Truefitt & Hill, and a few others. I think I am a creams guy but like soaps in the rotation too.

I am loving TOBS..... Jermyn Street is the pick of them by a mile for me.

I've been disappointed in the Avocado the most. While the moisturising properties are first class, the slickness of the lather and the lubrication for the blade was woefully inadequate for me, and totally different to every other TOBS cream I have tried. I would be interested to get a sample of a brand new, just made Avocado and try that. I feel this one is old and hard, and is likely to be well past its prime.

It's possible your tub is a bit stale, I've no complaints with Avo, my tub is very creamy and moist, and along with Shave Shop and Mr T are the only TOBs I really like. The Sensitive, Jermyn, St James and Eton were all rather meh and nondescript for me. I'm not really big on scents, if I like them great, but I put up with even something I'm not taken by, if it performs way above other things. Cella being one. Never been a fan of almond/marzipan, but the stuff works so well, I can't go past it.

Speaking of TOBS, I have left to try:

Rose
Avocado
Almond
Sensitive Skin
Mr Taylors
St James

I actually didn't mind the lemon-lime, once on.

You know what disappointed me with the Lavendar? The colour. It was a nice colour in the tub, and a little part of me wanted the lather to be purple.

Drubbing, I guess your views on the creams you like really show how much it's a case of "what works for you won't work for someone else", I really liked the scent of Jermyn and Eton.

It would be a very boring place if we all liked the same stuff hey!

I agree with the Almond comment - I saw the label and thought, really? Almond? When I opened the cream it smelled like Dr Pepper to be honest.

Last edited:
I just had a shave (hey I have to go out and do grocery shopping so I thought I might as well have a shave lol) and used the last scrap of Eton College.

I'm using a third shave Feather, and today I have achieved a BBS face.

Feather + DE86 + Eton College seems a winning combo for me.

I did work the lather longer this time, and loaded to the point of it overflowing on the 830. I had enough on the brush for two passes, and loaded a third but didn't shave with it, just pasted and washed off.

Next time I will get a pic and put up. The bloom on the brush is brilliant now.

TOBS Rose or Cyril R Salter Indian Sandalwood for me - both give a brilliant lather

Indian Sandalwood is my first venture outside of TOBS so no Lime as yet - started with Proraso, graduated to TOBS & Salter....next stop Truefitt & Trumpers

I only ask as shaving.ie is now stocking Salter at the TOBS price point and I am after a decent lime cream after the TOBS Lemon&Lime disappointed me. Lather was fine, scent was quite average.

Thanks for the tip, checked them out...Trumpers is way cheaper than buying locally - any recommendations on best Trumpers & shipping time?

With buying overseas, you are always juggling the delivery time and costs against plus local support and service.

Hopefully I will be able to provide a 15% off code for MensBiz very soon, which is helpful. If you are buying a bit from there, then the free postage helps too once you hit $120.

Shaving.ie is very highly though of by many of the members here. The prices are excellent, however it takes a full two weeks to get here (order Monday AM, get it here the Friday following week). I get Mensbiz deliveries 2 business days after ordering (order Monday, get it Wednesday), and I am overnight postage from Sydney.

Unfortunately the cost of running a bricks & mortar business here is high, especially when most of your stock is imported and you wear high transport costs. I like to support the locals where possible, but sometimes the price differential is too great. Some things I use Nathan @ Mensbiz for or possibly another local vendor, other items I use shaving.ie or another online vendor. There are also other local suppliers, some turn up in the Google Adwords advertising. There are a couple more that bring in some difficult to get items, and some very well priced when comparing prices against international vendors once you factor in postage costs.

The whole point of Paste & Cut is to spread the word about traditional wetshaving to Australia and New Zealand. The local vendors are a part of that and I hope to bring them on board. The larger our market grows then hopefully it translates to better pricing through the volume of sales. Hopefully a few ads and some vendor contributions will keep this forum paying it's own way and not out of my pocket, and everyone gets benefit from it.

Having been through this a couple of years ago, I can see the lure of OS prices is pretty strong. However, it's strongest for an initial 'start up' purchase. Personally, I'm not going to buy OS for top ups of cream and After Shave (if I can get anyone to ship the AS) to save a few $$. Hardware is always pricier here and that's one of the main areas where locals are probably losing out.

But I've had issues with razors and a brush before, and I'm glad I got them from Mensbiz. Everything was sorted locally, and I've been extremely well looked after. I'm sure OS sellers are great too, but sending stuff back and waiting on returns can really drag out. I got a used Progress a way back and sent it to Merkur on their request. They were good enough to fix it, but it took 3 months, and that's dealing direct!

There's some stuff our locals can't supply, and for those there's no choice. I make an effort to support the local guys, because if we don't, they won't keep stocking such products, and just stick with grooming stuff, or fold.

Last edited:
Thankfully I haven't got the cream/soap bug. As long as it's reasonably available locally that counts for a lot for me. Unfortunately I've bought a load of stuff locally (Mennen stick, Faulding and Palmolive creams and a big tub of Barbers Special cream from my local barber) none of which is particularly exciting. Then I got hold of a tube of Prorosa locally and that was that. So, until all that lot goes (I'll actually make an exception for the Faulding cream, that can accidently dissapear as far as I'm concerned) I'm not buying anything else. He said with a trembling, weak voice.

While you're trembling...

Speick. Taylor's of Bond Street. Ditch the Fauldings and grab one, you know you want to.

Seriously. Proraso is damn good. I haven't gone mad with soaps/creams (well, not compared to anyone on B&B), but every time I break out the Proraso, it's a great performer. There's a few places in Perth (and no doubt other cities) you can go and pick it up - barbers and even an IGA.

Seriously. Proraso is damn good. I haven't gone mad with soaps/creams (well, not compared to anyone on B&B), but every time I break out the Proraso, it's a great performer. There's a few places in Perth (and no doubt other cities) you can go and pick it up - barbers and even an IGA.

+1 for Proraso. I got a tube of it with my kit and it is great. I am starting to go mad on thoughts of more creams but will stay my hand and put my CC in a block of ice until further notice.

While you're trembling...

Speick. Taylor's of Bond Street. Ditch the Fauldings and grab one, you know you want to.

Where can I get Speick? And TOBS for that matter. Found a "Men's Hairdresser" that stocks Proraso nearby. A shop with an Italian name, with Mamma hopelessly useless behind the till, some very ugly badly made up daughters rubbing product on to panting teenagers and Pappa trying to convince me that the Japanese made Feather blades are really good value at $7.50 for a packet of five. But that's the only spot that stocks anything out of the ordinary. I'd love to try Speick.

Where can I get Speick? And TOBS for that matter. I'd love to try Speick.

Mr Shaver in Perth City has TOBS. But be warned. Others have said they've 'never warmed to the service in there'. Which speaks volumes you'd have to prepare yourself for such effort. Plus they'll charge twice what somewhere like Mensbiz will. Mr S is good for scratch n sniff only IMO. They do have a lot of stuff, I'll give them that.

Spieck, only online I'm afraid, and again at Mensbiz, but threats and intimidation may see me slip a bit into a sample pot for you. It's herbally and makes great lather. I find it takes a fair bit of water to get it really slick.
The Aftershave is tops too.

Sorry. Had to throw the sucker punch in there...

Last edited:
Found a "Men's Hairdresser" that stocks Proraso nearby. A shop with an Italian name, with Mamma hopelessly useless behind the till, some very ugly badly made up daughters rubbing product on to panting teenagers and Pappa trying to convince me that the Japanese made Feather blades are really good value at $7.50 for a packet of five. But that's the only spot that stocks anything out of the ordinary. I'd love to try Speick.

The one near a Dominos on Scarborough Beach Road?