Shave of the Day Thread - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of the day post and first shave with my Muhle R41

Muhle R41
Muhle Sea Buckthorn shave soap
Wahl Silvertip brush...the only brush I own and a give from my brother, he got it for free working for Shavershop
Nivia sensitive aftershave balm

I bought proraso pre shave cream the other day but didn't want to use it for my first shave with the r41 so all conditions would be the same as my normal shave. I wanted to see how deadly it was without anything extra.

No cuts and no irritation and the cleanest and closest wtg shave of my life. I actually laughed out loud after my first long stroke on my head. It was like 3 passes plus touch ups after one no pressure pass. I treated it like it could take my life and it was fine.

@Pbgoose

Glad to hear it works good. From the video reviews I saw it looked like it made a great lather. Bought a glass decor bowl to store the col conk puck in with plenty of room for whipping.
2cmnfgy.jpg
29f9xkp.jpg

So what blade did you run with? I'd say blade choice matters with the R41 i.e. it's a good razor to highlight blade differences.

So what blade did you run with? I'd say blade choice matters with the R41 i.e. it's a good razor to highlight blade differences.

I bought feathers to go with it just to see but for my first few shaves I wanted to use what I normally do so if I had a bad shave I wouldn't be wondering what the cause was, so I've been using wilkinson sword classic, my usual blade, absolutely perfect shave.

I bought feathers to go with it just to see but for my first few shaves I wanted to use what I normally do so if I had a bad shave I wouldn't be wondering what the cause was, so I've been using wilkinson sword classic, my usual blade, absolutely perfect shave.
I hadn't tried the Wilky in the R41. Will give it a go.(y)

I hadn't tried the Wilky in the R41. Will give it a go.(y)

I didn't use a pre shave or anything and it was perfect. I was pretty scared of the r41 but it was fine. I just had to treat it like an amazonian woman who could break me in half if I didn't treat her right.

I didn't use a pre shave or anything and it was perfect. I was pretty scared of the r41 but it was fine. I just had to treat it like an amazonian woman who could break me in half if I didn't treat her right.
Haven't tried one of those either :ROFLMAO: (and for clarity not looking to be enabled).
Funny the reputation the R41 has built around it. When I purchased mine the salesman said ' that razor would be too much for you Sir'. I'm not sure what prompted that statement........maybe they had staff fatalities in the razor training program.

Haven't tried one of those either :ROFLMAO: (and for clarity not looking to be enabled).
Funny the reputation the R41 has built around it. When I purchased mine the salesman said ' that razor would be too much for you Sir'. I'm not sure what prompted that statement........maybe they had staff fatalities in the razor training program.

I feel like if I hadn't shaved with my r89 for a few months and unlearned pressure shaving from using a cartridge then the r41 would have killed me going over any head ridges. Like an actual chunk out of my head. Had to get a few nicks and pay the price for not being careful with a less deadly DE razer before I understood how bad it could be with the r41 if I didn't behave. I'm glad I got the r41 first but I don't know how often I'll go back now that I have the new razer. Maybe for a quick 1 pass shave when I don't have time to be careful.

Pre: Hot towel, Pre shave oil (Nico's home brew)
Razor: Karve Christopher Bradley, C plate
Blade: Astra Superior Stainless Double Edge Blades
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk2
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Skye Fall

Date:- 04 June 2019

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush:- Brush:- Edwin Jagger Synth. v2.0 Silvertip Fibre Faux Horn 25/58mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Wholly Kaw ~ Project Leather
Razor/Blade:- Razorock Mission / Polsilver Super Iridium #5
Post-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20), Tea Tree Antiseptic (10), Lavender (15) & Peppermint (10 drops)
Fragrance:- N/A

Hi All,
Another bloodless coup against the mighty whisker growth. My new soap which is now not any longer my new soap just keeps on lasting, it won't "wear" down :).
I used a different alkali and the soap just gets harder. And it is a bit more difficult to lather. It just needs the right amount of water.
Semogue 830
Tanifuji 6/8" Square point.
Very pleased with the result.

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Vintage, butterscotch Simpson shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Henri et Victoria Cognac & Cuban Cigars shaving soap
Razor: Replated Gillette NEW head on TSW Bren handle
Blade: Polsilver 'Brown' (4)
Post-shave: Henri et Victoria Cognac & Cuban Cigars splash and balm
Fragrance: Henri et Victoria Cognac & Cuban Cigars EDP

Kh7wgpXl.jpg

IVTKUZDl.jpg

Still going with the Open Comb A Karve plate. Today I got a comfortable shave but closeness not ideal. Patches of stubble still present. Two more shaves with this plate, give it a clean up and it’ll be in the BST over the weekend. I need more oomph from my razor.

still smashing out the A&E hoping to finish it of this week.. 3rd use of the polsilver and i could just start feeling the harshness.. 3 shaves per blade is about the usual for me, how some claim to shave 10 - 20+ times with a blade is beyond me

lovely, close smooth shave

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Yaqi Mysterious Space
Soap: A&E Vanille de Tabac
Razor: Timeless 0.95 SB
Blade: Polsilver (3)
Post-shave: A&E Vanille de Tabac Splash

ATT, Colossus, S2
Timor
Duke 3, Manchurian
The Warden
Earworm: The Underside of Power - Algiers
The power of the olfactory senses never ceases to amaze me. Having whipped a lovely lather in my Giles lather bowl, the moment I put it on my face I was transported back to memories of my grandfather. The rest of the shave was spent reliving happy childhood memories. Thank you @SchoolForAnts.

4Nln2cel.jpg

Pre: Coconut Oil
Soap: Noble Otter - The Noir Et Vanille compliments of @LukehGee
Brush: Vie-Long Black Horse American Barber Style
Razor: Kickuth
I have been curious about The Noir Et Vanille and had not purchased it due to a review that said the strawberry scent was reasonably prominent so I did not think I would like it.
The strawberry scent is barely detectable until you lather it up and then it's a really nice complimentary background sweetness to the darker black tea background. Not sure I will go ahead and purchase but very glad I was able to experience this soap from Noble Otter.

Status
Not open for further replies.