Shave of the Day Thread - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
DIY lemon myrtle pre shave oil
KarveD w/Polsilver
WSP Silvertip
TOBS Lavender soap
Sacred Earth splash

I love TOBS hard soaps! Easy, rich lather that competes with basically any artisan soap. There were rumours that the latest batch are no good but I wouldn't know as my pucks are a few years old.

I used to feel I like two band better than silvertip but TBH I really love the luxurious feel of a silvertip!!

20190603-095105-1.jpg

Pre: Hot towel, Pre shave oil (Nico's home brew)
Razor: RAW RS-10, Mild Plate
Blade: Astra Superior Stainless Double Edge Blades
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk2
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Skye Fall

ukVH6Xl.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Paladin Lotus Select Badger
Soap: Phoenix and Beau Pall Mall
Razor: Wolfman WR1
Blade: NOS Gillette Spoiler (3)
Post: Thursday Plantation Tea Tree & Witch Hazel, CRSW American Barbershop Aftershave
Scent: Farina Original 1709 EdC

A sumptuous shave - the Gillette Spoiler really does pair well with the Wolfman. Three passes for a DFS+.
My first shave with the P&B Pall Mall soap. Typical for the brand, very easy to lather and excellent performance. I really like the scent - it immediately reminded me of two other soaps in my den, they being Cold River Soap Works Glide Barbiere Sapone and Declaration Grooming Colonia Balsamica. I pulled these soaps out after the shave and did a side-by-side sniff test. Whilst all have similar dominant citrus notes, the distinguishing feature of Pall Mall is a balancing earthiness, similar to Spitfire but much subtler.
The classic and original Kölnisch Wasser, produced by the good folk at Farina since 1709, was a lovely match for the Pall Mall soap scent.

Last edited:
1.25$ Safety Razor from Dollar Tree
Astra Superior Platinum @2
Dr Jon - Anne Bonny
Phoenix Shaving - The Green Ray
Old Spice Knockoff from Family Dollar

Against all odds, I got an excellent shave out if this razor/blade combo.

ofuZSdV.jpg
And you had Phil Collins on the stereo in the background, Maxie?;).

Dovo Bismarck 6/8 full hollow
Squadron Sweetheart
Simfix SF1
Earwom: Kinky Afro - Happy Mondays.

I had wanted to get some Squadron soaps for a while and on checking the website, saw that Sweetheart was going to be discontinued. So picked up a tub along with The Warden. I was hesitant about the scent profile of Sweetheart, but on use I really like it. As for performance from the soap, very happy. Whipped a good bowl lather with enough lather for about 5 passes. I still do not like the synthetic, but what with the crappy Melbourne weather, it does dry out easily. I enjoyed the lather and scent so much that I took 3 passes, which I rarely do. End result, BBS, no nicks and zero irritation. Very happy Monday​

I'm about to order a synthetic brush, I know all brushes are different but what about the synthetic don't you like? My silvertip wahl brush is only 4 or 5 months old and I feel like the bristlew are too soft for the beating a hard triple milled soap offers. Smetimes it's damp 36 hours later too so a synthetic sounded like it was for me.

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Vintage, butterscotch Simpson shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Henri et Victoria Cognac & Cuban Cigars shaving soap
Razor: Replated Gillette NEW head on TSW Bren handle
Blade: Polsilver 'Brown' (3)
Post-shave: Henri et Victoria Cognac & Cuban Cigars splash and balm
Fragrance: Henri et Victoria Cognac & Cuban Cigars EDP

Kh7wgpXl.jpg

LCXoZXkl.jpg

Day two of the open comb A plate.

Nice shave but can feel some tougher patches along jawline.
Yesterday I felt stubble before lunchtime which was disappointing but I haven’t been doing 3 or 4 passes to chase the BBS. Instead I’ve left it at 2 passes and small touch ups if and where needed.

So far I’m reckoning that this plate may be on sold...

Pre: Hot Shower
Razor: Timeless 0.95 SB
Blade: Polsilver (2)
Brush: Mysterious Space Yaqi
Soap: A&E Vanille de Tabac

amazing BBS in 3 passes, couldnt be happier.. on another note very close to finishing my second tub of soap.. hopefully be weeks end!!

OYbx3Svl.jpg

Soap: Noble Otter - The Trail (sample compliments of @LukehGee )
Brush: SOC Cherry Boar
Razor: Fatip Piccolo
Blade: Rapira Swedish (1)
Nice combo. Fatip balances efficiency well and the Rapira was a good match. The Trail is very pleasant. I had pressed the sample into a bowl then discovered I needed to scramble under the house to reset the boiler (no cold water shaves here) and when I came back the bathroom had a very nice earthy peppermint scent.

Last edited:
I'm about to order a synthetic brush, I know all brushes are different but what about the synthetic don't you like? My silvertip wahl brush is only 4 or 5 months old and I feel like the bristlew are too soft for the beating a hard triple milled soap offers. Smetimes it's damp 36 hours later too so a synthetic sounded like it was for me.

To quote The Castle "it's the vibe and aah no that's it, it's the vibe".

However, to give a slightly more balanced appraisal, I do not like how it feels on my face, nor do I like how it won't hold any water to help build a lather. Having to add water, little by little, so that it doesn't dribble down my face is annoying. BUT, this is my first ever synthetic and I do not want to lump all synthetics together, as many people much prefer them over natural hair brushes.

I have much more experience (20+ years) of using natural hairs and only a few shaves using a synthetic. So, I am not the best person to give a true comparison. At the end of the day, I don't regret buying it (it was only about $30, and I think that you can get much cheaper from Alibaba) as it serves a purpose. When I am feeling too lazy to properly look after and clean my natural hair brushes, which in winter is more prevalent, my synthetic will do the job. Would I buy anymore based on this brush, no.

If you insist in synthetic, I would recommend a Muhle or Edwin Jagger (same knot) in XL...I know they seem more expensive and you can probably get 26 zyx synthetics from China for the same price, but it is as close to a natural hair brush (together with a Simpson synthetic) that is out there...

But as @Rabid Badger already said...only a great badger is a great badger ;)

If you insist in synthetic, I would recommend a Muhle or Edwin Jagger (same knot) in XL...I know they seem more expensive and you can probably get 26 zyx synthetics from China for the same price, but it is as close to a natural hair brush (together with a Simpson synthetic) that is out there...

But as @Rabid Badger already said...only a great badger is a great badger ;)

I was looking at s frank shaving synthetic for a few days and saw a post/ review on here claiming they were a match for the muhle brushes. I have do do some digging though as maybe not all their brushes use the same fibre. It's $55 vs $119 but if there is going to be a significant difference in quality then ai'd rather get the right one the first time.

Thanks for the help. I have muhle stuff anyway so it would look nice as part of the set with the matching brush

To quote The Castle "it's the vibe and aah no that's it, it's the vibe".

However, to give a slightly more balanced appraisal, I do not like how it feels on my face, nor do I like how it won't hold any water to help build a lather. Having to add water, little by little, so that it doesn't dribble down my face is annoying. BUT, this is my first ever synthetic and I do not want to lump all synthetics together, as many people much prefer them over natural hair brushes.

I have much more experience (20+ years) of using natural hairs and only a few shaves using a synthetic. So, I am not the best person to give a true comparison. At the end of the day, I don't regret buying it (it was only about $30, and I think that you can get much cheaper from Alibaba) as it serves a purpose. When I am feeling too lazy to properly look after and clean my natural hair brushes, which in winter is more prevalent, my synthetic will do the job. Would I buy anymore based on this brush, no.

Thanks for the response. That's a shame this brush ruined it for you. Thr one I was looking at was $55 but of course price doesn't necessarily reflect quality. Maybe best to get the muhle synthetic instead.

EJ XL is ~45EUR from Gifts and Care...~70AUD?

And you had Phil Collins on the stereo in the background, Maxie?;).

loll

No but this evening I shaved on "In the Air Tonight" and, from the 1st stroke to the moment I wiped my face, it played exactly twice.
Very pleasant shave with barely any sting from my aftershave. I'm considering selling all my Gillettes... (yeah, as if lolll)

- 1.25$ TTO from Dollar Tree
- Aussie Spoiler @4 (I think)
- Dr Jon - Anne Bonny
- Vie-Longue Horse
- Aqua Velva Ice Sport

SkUGXdW.jpg

I was looking at s frank shaving synthetic for a few days and saw a post/ review on here claiming they were a match for the muhle brushes. I have do do some digging though as maybe not all their brushes use the same fibre. It's $55 vs $119 but if there is going to be a significant difference in quality then ai'd rather get the right one the first time.

Thanks for the help. I have muhle stuff anyway so it would look nice as part of the set with the matching brush

Yes, the Frank Shaving G4 knot is exactly the same fibre as the muhle STF, just a slightly different knot configuration.

I have the 24mm and the fibres feel exactly the same as the muhle STF and it cost US$23 including shipping.

If you want to splurge then go for the muhle/EJ in XL but they are 3-4 times the cost of the FS G4 24mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.