Fragrance: APR Fougere Bourbon Rose EDP

Comforting on a cool morning ...

GQbpWAhl.jpg

Pre: shower
Soap: Murphy and McNeil Claddagh
Brush: Razorock Big Bruce
Razor: Karve C
Blade: Gillette Vintage Spoiler (3)

Not often I want to do 3 full passes but today I knew I needed to for some reason. I’m blaming the blade on this occasion as I could feel the thing tugging a lot.
Soap was great again but this time I put a small amount of water on the top before jumping in the shower.

Pleasant shaves everyone....

tO7jWDnm.jpg

Soap: Pb Puck No:1
Brush: Zenith Boar
Razor: Black Hawk
Blade: Feather Pro Super (1)
Woke up to a power outage so I didn't think this was going to happen. No shave was the better alternative to cold water shave. Power came back on so the Black Hawk was put to work.
Several hours of work to do then head for home.:)(y)

DIY lemon myrtle pre shave oil
KarveD w/Polsilver
EJ STFv1 23mm
AOS tallow unscented
Vitamin E oil/Sacred Earth splash

I keep a couple of unscented soaps around for those days my skin is extra sensitive.

The AOS/Valobra is just wonderful soap!!

20190614-094708-1.jpg

Date:- 14 June 2019

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush:- Brush:- Edwin Jagger Synth. v2.0 Silvertip Fibre Faux Horn 25/58mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Wholly Kaw ~ Tempest
Razor/Blade:- Razorock Mission / Polsilver Super Iridium #6
Post-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20), Tea Tree Antiseptic (10), Lavender (15) & Peppermint (10 drops)
Fragrance:- Jean Paul Gaultier Ultra Male

Pre: Hot towel, Pre shave oil (Nico's home brew)
Razor: Timeless, S/S, 0.68 Scalloped base plate
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum Double Edge
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk2
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Squadron, The Warden

IMG-4563.jpg

4pt0MSgh.jpg

Pre: Coconut Oil
Soap: Pb Henry MkII
Brush: Zenith Boar
Razors: Kampfe Star & Schick Injector G Type
Blades: Kampfe Star Wedge & Personna injector blade

After some national and international communication we decided it was not time to give up on the Kampfe Star (sucker for punishment?, I was starting to think so). After consulting with @bald as , @Sticky , Ron Spencer (previously offered honing service) and Sticky talking to 'The Original Safety 2' forum (a forum dedicated to SE only shavers) we devised our next plan of attack, which was simply taping. I was already using one layer of electrical tape but decided that perhaps the bevel was too wide and that additional layers of tape may benefit the edge. @bald as suggested a multi faceted or staged bevel may be worth a try as GEM blades use that technique.

I commenced honing with 3 layers of tape and used 3, 5, and 8K stones. I then added another two layers of tape and used 10 and 15K stones then finished with CBN (cubic boron nitride strop).

The result looked like this:
1geLABnl.png

Note the pitting on the blade which has honed out towards the bevel edge. The tri bevel can be clearly seen. I wouldn't necessarily aim for tri bevel on subsequent wedge honings but certainly will be using the multiple layers of tape to achieve a narrower bevel as the edge seemed less prone to micro chipping on the higher grit stones. The benefit also became apparent in the test.

Then for the test. I can't say I was full of confidence as on the previous shaves I was convinced I had produced a reasonable shaving edge on the blade and the performance was very disappointing. Today's result was very different.
Success!!

I had just received my Schick injector in the mail yesterday so I was very keen to try that so it was to be the standby razor but then decided to do a half/half shave with the Schick and Kampfe. This turned out to be a very interesting exercise with the feel of the razors being chalk and cheese but the performance was nearly identical with the winning decision being given to the Kampfe Star by Mrs Pbgoose. The Schick lost by a hair.

The Kampfe Star shave is defined by blade feel and I dubbed the razor the 'Exfoliator' (pronounced with a low gravelly voice with an american accent that might be used for a B Grade horror movie trailer). I had of course experienced the 'feel' before so it took a few seconds before I realised the 'Exfoliator' was actually efficiently lopping whiskers with it's distinctive rasping resonance from the open lather catcher frame. I shaved the right side of my face with the 'Exfoliator'.

The Schick was given the task of shaving the left side and I was immediately surprised by the mildness and lack of blade feel but it also appeared to carry some efficiency. I just assumed the Schick would walk all over the Kampfe Star as it got right down to business and made it immediately clear a smooth face was going to be the order of the day. Maybe it's a little too mild but I'm reluctant to say that given the easy DFS it produced. I would've pronounced BBS but Mrs Pbgoose judged the Kampfe Star side of my face smoother.

Certainly the Schick is the more sustainable of the two razors as a daily driver as the Kampfe Star may be too aggressive and harsh on the skin for daily use.

The knowledge networking within P&C combined with external contacts was very satisfying. This exercise has helped me examine a number of facets of honing and I expect the benefits will flow over into my straight razor honing. I never would have thought that blade geometry change from a few layers of tape would produce such a dramatic difference.
Thanks guys!

Success!! Hats off to you for not giving up. I don't suppose many people have produced a triple facet wedge blade! The Personna injector blades are pretty good so that was an impressive win, maybe with a more aggressive Schick it may have been a draw, any way you look at it great work.

Success!! Hats off to you for not giving up. I don't suppose many people have produced a triple facet wedge blade! The Personna injector blades are pretty good so that was an impressive win, maybe with a more aggressive Schick it may have been a draw, any way you look at it great work.
Having heard good things about the injectors I thought it was going to be an unfair comparison.
What's the next level of efficiency up in injectors? I'd be interested to try. Is the E the next goto or what's the L like?

Having heard good things about the injectors I thought it was going to be an unfair comparison.
What's the next level of efficiency up in injectors? I'd be interested to try. Is the E the next goto or what's the L like?
I haven't tried many, the H this morning was great, I imagine it might be similar to a G, the L I found too mild and disappointing. The E is supposed to be the aggressive one, I think I have one on the way.
I'm really looking forward to a wedge shave though!

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Vintage, butterscotch Rooney shaving brush
Soap/Cream: APR Fougere Bourbon Rose shaving soap
Razor: Replated Gillette NEW head on TSW Bren handle
Blade: Polsilver 'Brown' (5)
Post-shave: APR Fougere Bourbon Rose splash
Fragrance: APR Fougere Bourbon Rose EDP

Early breakfast with a mate before the hipsters take over the cafes. Great way to start the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.