Shave of the Day Thread - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
No time for pics today...sun lounge just didn't want to let me go :D

Fantastic travel shave with some spectacular lathet due to the wonderfully soft water here...happy days (y)
While you’re enjoying extra extra

giphy.gif

Again a very pleasant shave tonight. I have converted a friend to wet shaving and good soap and now he wants to learn soap making as well. We [ I, :) ] made a batch yesterday and it is a worthwhile vegan recipe. Also today I tried out a honing variation that has had a marked improvement on smoothness for a blade that can at times be a bit "Feather" like..
My 6/8" Japanese test razor.
New Veggie soap
Badger Brush
And Almond oil to finish.

Pre-Shave Shower
Brush PAA - The Star-Craft
Soap PAA - CK-6 CaD
Razor PAA- Injector type L
Blade Schick
Post shave Geo F. Trumper - Coral Skin Food
Fragrance Hugo Boss - Number One

First time using an injector type razor, I'm happy to say it gave me a BBS in three passes, without any irritation, I'll busing this razor again, maybe more often than I think.
Also, it's the first time I used the PAA Star Craft synthetic brush, for a cheap brush, this does a great job. I'm used to my Mühle 35K252 which is a little bigger. The PAA brush, while taking a fraction longer, it builds a great lather, feels great and looks so cool. It will be getting more use.

January SOTD with Squadron's Soap

IMAG0335.jpg

Brush: Omega 24mm
Razor: Muhle R41
Blade: Astra Green (3)
Bowl: Peirera Shavery unbreakable shave bowl
Soap: Squadron's Ace
Pre: Shower & Washpool face cleansing bar

Life is bliss... :) Happy shaves!

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Thater boar brush
Soap/Cream: L&L Grooming / Chatillon Lux TSM Fougere shaving soap
Razor: Vintage Gillette NEW head on TSW Bren Handle
Blade: Vintage NOS Wilkinson Sword 'French Browns' (12)
Post-shave: Pitralon Swiss after shave lotion
Fragrance: N/A

Well Thater the soap destroyer has met its match -

... although I cannot really blame the soap, it really is great and easy to lather.

I'm glad I didn't pay the 'shit load' for it that @58RW did and merely picked it up here in the B/S/T for a reasonably price (knowing that it had a problem with excess glue as indicated in his earlier thread)

Now, @RustyBlade, with your sabbatical over can I interest you in a 'slightly used' boar brush? Premium White Boar

Approximate Brush Dimensions

Knot Diameter: 27mm (well in two pieces so say 12 and 15?)

Knot Loft: 60mm

Handle Height: 60mm

I'm glad I didn't pay the 'shit load' for it that @58RW did and merely picked it up here in the B/S/T for a reasonably price (knowing that it had a problem with excess glue as indicated in his earlier thread)

Now, @RustyBlade, with your sabbatical over can I interest you in a 'slightly used' boar brush? Premium White Boar

Absolute rubbish to begin with mate, not surprised really.

Send the bastard over to Scott at Declaration and get him to set something decent in there with a proper loft and you will be good to go.

Absolute rubbish to begin with mate, not surprised really.

Send the bastard over to Scott at Declaration and get him to set something decent in there with a proper loft and you will be good to go.

It is certainly a nice handle which will not go to waste. I wanted to try a [new] boar again after a long absence, it did the trick as far as that was concerned.

Last edited:
Ouch!

You are not the first to have this problem with the Thater boar @Mark1966. This is why Omega sets all their boar knots inside a plastic cup first before setting them in a handle. It just goes to show that Thater don’t really have a clue about boars... the bristle expands when wet, creating a lot of pressure, which the tensile strength of epoxy isn’t enough to deal with alone.

A definite misfire from them. Meanwhile a boar like the Omega 48 remains one of the world’s most popular for good reason. Which reminds me that I must try an Italian flag. But then I am an omega fanbois...!

Last edited:
Pre: IGA “Home Brand” Bath soap - tallow and made in oz
Rockwell 6S (4)
Lord Racer (3)
De Vergulde Hand stick
Omega 48
Imperial Leather a/s

Trying out a couple of pifs from @TomG. I really like the soap although the scent, while pleasant enough, is really a bit strong for me. I’m not sure of the ingredients but it is rich, slick and creamy, with a decent post shave. It’s also the best packaged stick I’ve tried.

Apparently this one is a cheap, mass market soap for the Dutch and the company has been making soap for 450 years! They did well with this one - no irritation etc. I just have to hold my breath a bit. If I leave it out in the sun on a hot day then I may breathe a bit easier!

Ouch!

You are not the first to have this problem with the Thater boar @Mark1966. This is why Omega sets all their boar knots inside a plastic cup first before setting them in a handle. It just goes to show that Thater don’t really have a clue about boars... the bristle expands when wet, creating a lot of pressure, which the tensile strength of epoxy isn’t enough to deal with alone.

A definite misfire from them. Meanwhile a boar like the Omega 48 remains one of the world’s most popular for good reason. Which reminds me that I must try an Italian flag. But then I am an omega fanbois...!
The Italian Flag boar is a beautiful brush to use. Tagged for tomorrow now. :)

... although I cannot really blame the soap, it really is great and easy to lather.

WTF the frigging thing fell apart WTF sent PM to you @Mark1966

@Mark1966 :eek: Wow, didn't expect to see that. I assumed knots (especially from a reputable brush maker and a 'premium' brush) would be pretty much bullet proof unless from a dodgy supplier. Having said that I'm pretty disappointed in my Zenith boar (aluminium handle). Probably my favourite boar for face feel but it's a shedomatic. Sorry to see that happen to you. Just as well you've got a couple of back up brushes.:LOL:
@Errol , was it you that bought a boar knot from The Golden Nib? How do you find the knot quality and face feel? Might buy a couple and set them into something (in my spare time:LOL:) to try. I'm interested in trying a smaller boar knot.

ioMv3JDl.jpg

Pre: Coconut Oil
Soap: Pb Henry
Brush: TF 26mm KBBB
Razor: Jowika oooo
AS: Pb Max
Mmm Mm, that was goood.
I only ever saw my Dad use an electric shaver. Apparently he had skin issues with wet shaving. I can't help think that with the gear available now we could've got him set up with some good kit that would've worked well for him. I would've liked to make some shave soap for him. If I work out what scent profile he might have liked maybe I still could make a soap named for him....

@Pbgoose - I understand the boar knots sold by TGN are sourced from Omega. The bigger ones from the pro 49 line and the smaller from the 10066 line. I can’t remember where I heard that but it was from more than one source. So if you know these knots from omega already (they are different to the Italian flag) then there should be no surprises. I love them although I haven’t got them from TGN.

Alternatively you can just punch / prise the cup out of any omega to set the knot in a new handle.

BTW it sounds like your old man was the same as mine for shaving habits. He always used a Braun and my knowledge of wet shaving also came too late to be of any use to him...

Ouch!

WTF the frigging thing fell apart WTF sent PM to you @Mark1966

@Mark1966 :eek: Wow, didn't expect to see that. I assumed knots (especially from a reputable brush maker and a 'premium' brush) would be pretty much bullet proof unless from a dodgy supplier. Having said that I'm pretty disappointed in my Zenith boar (aluminium handle). Probably my favourite boar for face feel but it's a shedomatic. Sorry to see that happen to you. Just as well you've got a couple of back up brushes.:LOL:

Thanks all, it was a little unexpected and not what I'd hoped for. Nils too most of the haircut on this when he sold it on the B/S/T with full disclosure. I got my money's worth from trying a boar again and seeing how they perform and I still have a nice handle - so I'm not that upset. I would be totally $#*&#&*^#$^* though if I'd paid the retail price.

Status
Not open for further replies.