Shave of the Day Thread - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks all, it was a little unexpected and not what I'd hoped for. Nils too most of the haircut on this when he sold it on the B/S/T with full disclosure. I got my money's worth from trying a boar again and seeing how they perform and I still have a nice handle - so I'm not that upset. I would be totally $#*&#&*^#$^* though if I'd paid the retail price.
Cheers Mark and the offer as PM'd stands ;)

@Mark1966 - I’m like everyone else who’s seen your photo. I cannot believe it. Like you say, nice handle.

@Pbgoose - without thinking about knots, I’ve set two brushes up with 27mm Golden Nibs and the long landled buffalo brush is a 25mm Golden Nib. They are advertised as coming out of Italy so @RazorPlay is probably right as to their origins. I like all three and find them nice against the skin. I’ve found that if I soak the brush while I do my teeth there is less backboard than if I just lather up. A little bit of adjustability.

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Thater boar brush
Soap/Cream: L&L Grooming / Chatillon Lux TSM Fougere shaving soap
Razor: Vintage Gillette NEW head on TSW Bren Handle
Blade: Vintage NOS Wilkinson Sword 'French Browns' (12)
Post-shave: Pitralon Swiss after shave lotion
Fragrance: N/A

Well Thater the soap destroyer has met its match -

... although I cannot really blame the soap, it really is great and easy to lather.

I'm glad I didn't pay the 'shit load' for it that @58RW did and merely picked it up here in the B/S/T for a reasonably price (knowing that it had a problem with excess glue as indicated in his earlier thread)

Now, @RustyBlade, with your sabbatical over can I interest you in a 'slightly used' boar brush? Premium White Boar

Approximate Brush Dimensions

Knot Diameter: 27mm (well in two pieces so say 12 and 15?)

Knot Loft: 60mm

Handle Height: 60mm
Wow you really killed the pig, never mind @Mark1966 you can always reknoted with a very high quality badger knot to your Thater handle

Thanks all, it was a little unexpected and not what I'd hoped for. Nils too most of the haircut on this when he sold it on the B/S/T with full disclosure. I got my money's worth from trying a boar again and seeing how they perform and I still have a nice handle - so I'm not that upset. I would be totally $#*&#&*^#$^* though if I'd paid the retail price.
Shocked, I am. :eek:
Absolutely gob smacked that a major brand like Thater would fail like that in such a small amount of time.
So thank you for saving me the grief on this brush @Mark1966 :whistle:
Though feel for the seller as he must be gutted too. Hopefully only a one off as my boars have been abused by me and still together.
Are there other horror Thater boar stories out there too?

Shocked, I am. :eek:
Absolutely gob smacked that a major brand like Thater would fail like that in such a small amount of time.
So thank you for saving me the grief on this brush @Mark1966 :whistle:
Though feel for the seller as he must be gutted too. Hopefully only a one off as my boars have been abused by me and still together.
Are there other horror Thater boar stories out there too?

So you not interested any more?

Here I was minding it till after you completed your sabbatical and all!

Pre: Hot towel, Crew oil
Razor: RAW RS-10, Mild Plate
Blade: Feather
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk2
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Martin de Candre, Fougere

6I3Lz8M.jpg

Iwasaki
Strop Martin J. Rubin 4601 New York
Simpsons Chubby 2 Synthetic
LPL Oud Santal
Tom Ford Oud Wood Edp

Another fine blade, you must have one hell of a collection!

G8wfGI4l.jpg

Brush: Chubby 2 Synthetic
Razor: Gillette Red Tip Rocket
Blade: Rapira Super Stainless
Soap: MWF
A/S: Brut

Think I've nailed the Chubby Synth, treat it like a badger brush and it works incredibly well. Very impressed with it today.
The Red Tip is a very recent acquisition... paid $3.00 for it this morning at a market. Not my first Red Tip found locally but certainly the cheapest.

5 January 2019

Birthday SOTD

Crazy Badger Custom Shave Bowl ~ Schick Injector Razor (G3) + NOS Schick Plus Platinum
TurnNShave ~ Grooming Dept Preshave ~ CL Santal Auster ~ Grooming Dept Rejuvenating Serum
CL Santal Auster Toner + AS

DdOA5Wc.jpg

Happy birthday (y)

picked it up here in the B/S/T for a reasonably price (knowing that it had a problem with excess glue as indicated in his earlier thread)

Knot Diameter: 27mm (well in two pieces so say 12 and 15?)

Knot Loft: 60mm

Handle Height: 60mm

Sorry to see that your Thater fell apart. The "excess glue" was obviously not the problem, which would be considered a blemish (meaning, performance will not be affected - I believe this was the vendor's stance at the time as well). In this case, this brush was shipped "defective". Based on that photo, the knot was not set deep enough and it was doomed to fail. There is no way that such a large knot would hold-up in that handle.

I'm not sure what sort of settlement was reached between the retailer (Bullgoose) and @58RW , but I think you might have 6 months on PayPal to open a case for refunds or returns (I might be wrong) - In this situation, you might have a case to re-open a case. This "should" warrant a full refund. Might be worth a shot if you can bothered.

Brush: Thater boar brush @Tony Forsyth P&C LE Platypus brush
Soap/Cream: APR Lightning Ridge shaving soap
Blade: Vintage NOS Wilkinson Sword 'French Browns' (13)
Post-shave: APR Lightning Ridge after shave lotion
Fragrance: APR Lightning Ridge EDP

Nice to use a brush that doesn't fall apart after use!

Going fishing with a mate on a charter boat out of Narooma this afternoon. Will make it a LONG day driving there and back so wanted a combination with 'staying power'. After all, don't want to just smell fishy :)

9UNiI5Pl.jpg

Around 18 hours since my last shave so used the R2 plate today. What a smooth shave with absolutely zero irritation anywhere.

Was also the first time using a Gillette Rubie blade. Felt so good across my face.

Hope everyone has a great week 👍

Going fishing with a mate on a charter boat out of Narooma this afternoon. Will make it a LONG day driving there and back so wanted a combination with 'staying power'. After all, don't want to just smell fishy :)

Nor scare the fish away!

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.