Weekly Razor Review

Lambda Ares v2 (Greece)

My wait for the v2 Ares was nowhere as long, or as anxious, as the wait for the first Ares. As Theo has become entrenched in the manufacture and distribution of Lambda razors, delivery times have markedly reduced. Lambda started out to provide a top shelf product and have stuck with that philosophy, so I do not mind waiting when I know the delivered product will be exceptional. As with both previous releases, the v2 comes protected in its own mahogany presentation box, this time with white felt inserts and a magnetic snap lock on the lid. For anyone who has not had the pleasure of handling a Lambda razor, the presentation box is a work of art and fully compliments the bronze razor it is there to protect.

My initial thoughts were, where is the v2 going to differ from the original? Its head is marginally wider to cover more of the blade tab, now only the slightest amount of blade tab is visible, and the handle is both longer and thicker which adds about 21g to the total weight of the razor. Incredibly the weight of the razor still comes in under the magical 100g mark. The tight curvature on the blade has been retained along with blade clamping at the outer extremities of the cap. Similar to the original, the razor has been hand polished except under the cap and the Lambda Greek letter (λ) is etched onto the end of the plate. On the back of the plate is the proud engraving ‘Made in Greece’. I’m pretty sure there will be changes to the way the razor delivers its shave, but I’ll find out about them soon enough.

From the first stroke, I knew I was using a razor that could pack a punch. It took me a little by surprise just how efficient the v2 was; above Karve CB level #D efficiency and with positive blade feel. There was very little sensation of shaving with an open comb razor, and with no sharp teeth to produce any surprises, the shave was extremely comfortable, and a close shave was never in doubt. Pucks of both the Wilkinson Sword and Bic blades were included in the package, and while I was not disappointed with the Wilkinson Sword, it was the performance of the Bic blade that really impressed. If efficiency and a bit of blade feel are not your cup of tea, I’d strongly recommend looking for something with less efficiency. As for me, I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the Ares v2 and consider it to be one of the very best.

Blades Used – Wilkinson Sword and Bic

Material – Bronze

Blade Tab – Slightly exposed

Weight – 97g

Head Width – 42.1mm

Handle Length – 95.05mm

Handle Diameter – 11.29mm

Availability – Lambda

Final Word – Superb

With my name down on the wait list for the Athena I was considering the Ares razor also but felt greedy and realise its a slippery slope for me. The handle and theme attracted me but pretty much what you have said regarding the teeth is something I had noticed as well. One of the reasons why I do not like open combs is that the teeth usually give a little bit of a raking affect which I find grating. Some are worse than others. The stainless steel PAA Doc Ascension was like that for me. The teeth were a little too harsh where as this one looks right up my alley in regards to open comb designs with gentle curves on the teeth and smooth edges. It sort of reminds me of a Fatip razor but wildly better.

Having no experience with the Karve I can't relate but wonder how it compares to Blackbird. It's definitely a razor on my radar and if I am lucky enough to own one then I am sure I would be happy with it. I haven't really heard of any unhappy experiences with either of the Lambda razors by anyone. The fact that the handles of the Athena and Ares razors are interchangeable at the time of writing is another bonus too if one is so inclined.

Another excellent review Errol!

Yates Ti M-921 Scalloped (USA)

When Yates first proposed a titanium razor, they asked buyers to put their names down for a razor of unknown specification; Yates would make a razor, offer it to a buyer who could check out the specification, and either purchase or turn the offer down. I was not overly enthusiastic about that approach, but I put my name down anyhow, it was the only way to obtaining a titanium YPM razor at that time. Eventually sanity prevailed and Yates introduced their Build Your Own Razor option that including their titanium razors, different efficiency levels, varying handle lengths, open comb, safety bar and scalloped plates. By having my name down for a titanium razor, I had a 24 hour head start before the whole world got their chance to register so I used the 24 hours to claim this one. After waiting about six weeks I was getting a bit concerned that the Ti M-921 had not arrived when an email arrived from Yates, very apologetic that he hadn’t started making them but would be soon. Not good for customer service, but if that’s their approach – purchaser beware!

Finished in a dull satin, the razor is quite appealing to look at, at least I think so. Blade clamping is on flats well inside the edge of the cap and lather clearing is taken care of by two long channels on either side of the plate. Yates cap design has a wide flat at its top which seems to be there to provide a surface for the YPM emblem to be prominently displayed on. This leaves the edge behind the blade at a steepish angle; it’s not long and is rounded but I would prefer it wasn’t there. There could not be a simpler design for a handle, a cylinder with a few grooves, but being finished in satin titanium, it is expected to perform. Etched into the back of the plate is the model designation and the date of production.

With the efficiency of the YPM Ti between Karve CB level #C and #D and positive blade feel, this razor is very near my preferred parameters but something about this razor did not gel. Straight up, I blamed the blade; Gillette Nacet blades have long been one of my go-to blades, they have proved to be reliable in delivering a pleasant shave, not this time. Thankfully, the situation was rescued by the Wizamet Polsilver; there was a marked improvement in how smooth the shave was and just how easily a close shave could be delivered. While the rounded edge on the cap was occasionally noted, a change of shave angle rectified the situation. YPM machine razors for Aylsworth and they should look at the design of the cap on that razor when it comes time to updating the YPM design. A little more girth on the handle would not have gone astray either, 2 or 3mm would be good; YPM’s own short brass version handle has a diameter of around 13mm so something similar would be appreciated. Yes, it’s a small razor that achieved creditable results when a performing blade was used but there is need for advancement before I would start raving about it; reshaping the cap and use thicker stock for the handle would go a long way.

Blades Used – Gillette Nacet and Wizamet Polsilver

Material –
Titanium

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 51g

Head Width – 44.46mm

Handle Length – 82.73mm

Handle Diameter – 10.52mm

Availability – Yates Precision Manufacturing

Final Word – Not a favourite

Le Maurice Titanium 1.2 (France)

This Le Maurice was ordered as the Titanium version with the 1.2 plate, the grooved/ grooved plate and a sand blasted finish. I’m not sure the finish has been sand blasted, it’s smooth with that hard wearing, oxidized deep grey finish that titanium develops, my personal choice for any titanium razor. Le Maurice’s head design has a minimalistic look, all unnecessary metal has been machined away to leave only enough metal to keep everything sturdy. Round blade posts are utilized on the cap and blade clamping is on wide flats at the outer edge of the cap. Looking very creative, lather clearing is taken care of by a series of five grooves on each edge of the plate. Its chunky handle has recessed sections, grooves, a diamond pattern down its length and that fantastic, blasted finish, what more could be delivered for confident grip.

My experience shaving with the stainless steel variant of the Le Maurice with its 1.0 plate was certainly a pleasurable experience, but it left me wanting for more. At that time I thought the 1.2 plate would be the answer to the maiden’s prayer, I’m about to find out. While still under Karve CB Level #D efficiency, the delivered shave was first class. Smooth was the order of the day and the positive blade protrusion resulted in an ever so close shave. This razor can certainly be rated as delivering some of the best shaves I’ve experienced, but I now think the 1.4 plate should be as good or hopefully better. It just so happens I have a bronze Le Maurice with the 1.4 plate in the cupboard ready to explore my options, expect that review sometime soon.

Blades Used – Bic and Gillette Nacet

Material – Titanium

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 69g

Head Width – 43.14mm

Handle Length – 82.58mm

Handle Diameter – 14.0mm

Availability – Atlier Durdan

Final Word – A good thing

Le Maurice Titanium 1.2 (France)

This Le Maurice was ordered as the Titanium version with the 1.2 plate, the grooved/ grooved plate and a sand blasted finish. I’m not sure the finish has been sand blasted, it’s smooth with that hard wearing, oxidized deep grey finish that titanium develops, my personal choice for any titanium razor. Le Maurice’s head design has a minimalistic look, all unnecessary metal has been machined away to leave only enough metal to keep everything sturdy. Round blade posts are utilized on the cap and blade clamping is on wide flats at the outer edge of the cap. Looking very creative, lather clearing is taken care of by a series of five grooves on each edge of the plate. Its chunky handle has recessed sections, grooves, a diamond pattern down its length and that fantastic, blasted finish, what more could be delivered for confident grip.

My experience shaving with the stainless steel variant of the Le Maurice with its 1.0 plate was certainly a pleasurable experience, but it left me wanting for more. At that time I thought the 1.2 plate would be the answer to the maiden’s prayer, I’m about to find out. While still under Karve CB Level #D efficiency, the delivered shave was first class. Smooth was the order of the day and the positive blade protrusion resulted in an ever so close shave. This razor can certainly be rated as delivering some of the best shaves I’ve experienced, but I now think the 1.4 plate should be as good or hopefully better. It just so happens I have a bronze Le Maurice with the 1.4 plate in the cupboard ready to explore my options, expect that review sometime soon.

Blades Used – Bic and Gillette Nacet

Material – Titanium

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 69g

Head Width – 43.14mm

Handle Length – 82.58mm

Handle Diameter – 14.0mm

Availability – Atlier Durdan

Final Word – A good thing
Wow what a great review from the maestro @Errol and a quick glance of the website leaves one with the Charcoal Goods style vibes as the design of the handles and razor heads look very similar and a variety of different metals. Very premium indeed and I look forward to seeing how the bronze version treats you. (y)

Wow what a great review from the maestro @Errol and a quick glance of the website leaves one with the Charcoal Goods style vibes as the design of the handles and razor heads look very similar and a variety of different metals. Very premium indeed and I look forward to seeing how the bronze version treats you. (y)
Don't get yourself too carried away with just wow, because, it's just another bloody razor and I wouldn't be bothered too much and just stick to the Blackland Blackbird.

Don't get yourself too carried away with just wow, because, it's just another bloody razor and I wouldn't be bothered too much and just stick to the Blackland Blackbird.
Ah, no. That would mean @Errol would be leaving his reviews in a vacuum, which would be a bit sad. They're meant to be informative, and they are. Some of us might occasionally disagree with his verdicts, but that's OK. No thought police here.

Aylsworth Drakkant (USA)

Aylsworth Dakkant razors are machined by Yates Precision Manufacturing, resulting in the razors being machined in USA but distributed out of Canada. I ordered a Drakkant from their first batch, but it was a no show and only after there was no possible chance of it ever turning up did Aylsworth offer to send a replacement. By that time there was the option of a second plate so I took the opportunity to get my hands on the optional plate; this review however, is on the Aylsworth Drakkant fitted with the stock plate. Aylsworth have designed a stylish razor with a bit of flare and elegance about it, its cap has a wide flat recessed into the top of it, round blade posts and wide blade clamping flats that overlap the corresponding flats on the plate. Large lather grooves are a feature of the plate, but the additional machining on both its back and front is visually pleasing, giving the razor special appeal. Longitudinal grooves and twin spirals up the length of the handle look good from any angle and will do a fine job. Completing the presentation of the Drakkant is an appealing satin finish.

What a pleasant little razor, above Karve CB #C efficiency and coupled with a miniscule amount of positive blade. When a razor performs as good at the Drakkant, it does not take long before you drop your guard and blissfully shave away without a care in the world. Shaving can be so gratifying when all the Aces align. At first, I was thinking that the close shave was not going to last, but wrong again, it lasted all day. This is one very pleasant little razor that performed faultlessly during the review. I’m wondering if the + plate is going to be much more aggressive or maybe just have more blade feel. I see also that there is an open comb plate now available, that one really strikes a chord. This razor does the hard work but lets you take the credit.

Blades Used – Personna Med Prep and Gillette Platinum

Material – 316 Stainless Steel

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 96.4g

Head Width – 43.57mm

Handle Length – 89.67mm

Handle Diameter – 11.48mm

Availability – Aylsworth

Final Word – Shaving bliss

Aylsworth Drakkant (USA)

Aylsworth Dakkant razors are machined by Yates Precision Manufacturing, resulting in the razors being machined in USA but distributed out of Canada. I ordered a Drakkant from their first batch, but it was a no show and only after there was no possible chance of it ever turning up did Aylsworth offer to send a replacement. By that time there was the option of a second plate so I took the opportunity to get my hands on the optional plate; this review however, is on the Aylsworth Drakkant fitted with the stock plate. Aylsworth have designed a stylish razor with a bit of flare and elegance about it, its cap has a wide flat recessed into the top of it, round blade posts and wide blade clamping flats that overlap the corresponding flats on the plate. Large lather grooves are a feature of the plate, but the additional machining on both its back and front is visually pleasing, giving the razor special appeal. Longitudinal grooves and twin spirals up the length of the handle look good from any angle and will do a fine job. Completing the presentation of the Drakkant is an appealing satin finish.

What a pleasant little razor, above Karve CB #C efficiency and coupled with a miniscule amount of positive blade. When a razor performs as good at the Drakkant, it does not take long before you drop your guard and blissfully shave away without a care in the world. Shaving can be so gratifying when all the Aces align. At first, I was thinking that the close shave was not going to last, but wrong again, it lasted all day. This is one very pleasant little razor that performed faultlessly during the review. I’m wondering if the + plate is going to be much more aggressive or maybe just have more blade feel. I see also that there is an open comb plate now available, that one really strikes a chord. This razor does the hard work but lets you take the credit.

Blades Used – Personna Med Prep and Gillette Platinum

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 96.4g

Head Width – 43.57mm

Handle Length – 89.67mm

Handle Diameter – 11.48mm

Availability – Aylsworth

Final Word – Shaving bliss
After posting the review yesterday, I sent a link to Kaleb Aylsworth, the man himself. I'd like to share his response as it answers the question I had in the review.

Wow! Thanks so much Errol!! So so glad you're enjoying the razor. Regarding the question you asked in the review, the Plus plate is equally comfortable, but with .125 mm exposure, is even more efficient and perhaps slightly less autopilot. I can usually get an easy 2 pass bbs on several days growth with either the Plus or OC.

Thanks again and all the best!

-Kaleb

Yaqi Thunderbird (China)

Yaqi have delivered one very respectable looking razor with their Thunderbird. I cannot put a handle on where the design might have been stolen, sorry, borrowed from, but it’s a great style of a razor. Fitted with its Yaqi Contact handle, the combined weight is over the magical 100g mark, yet the package somehow manages to appear compact. Wide blade clamping flats at the outer extremities of the cap have a machined surface, as do the corresponding flats on the plate, placing a vice like grip on the blade. There are three generous lather grooves down each side of the plate and for most part the finish is a smooth machined satin. It just oozes quality but just imagine if Yaqi had gone further and presented a polished or satin finish. I know it’s a Yaqi but it has looks and a style that appeals to me; all that is required now is for it to deliver a good shave.

Chinese razor, might as well use a Chinese blade; the only one I have is a Howard, so... I’ve nothing but praise for the Howard blade, they have always delivered everything I’ve ever required but don’t ask about longevity, I don’t know, I only use any blade for two shaves. Thunderbird by name but a thunderbolt by nature; this is a ‘knock em down, drag them out’ type razor. Delivering performance similar to a Muhle R41, make sure your technique is right before you start removing strips from down the side of your face. Efficiency wise the Thunderbird is on the high side of Karve CB level #D and just to back up that performance there is ample blade feel. A close shave was never in doubt and for such a performance razor, it was a reasonably smooth shave, the Thunderbird has won me. Yaqi’s Thunderbird is the complete package, compact size, reasonable cost, looks and performance. Great, but don’t let your guard down.

Blades Used – Howard and Gillette 7 O’Clock Yellow

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 103.2g

Head Width – 45.24mm

Handle Length – 80mm

Handle Diameter – 10.95mm

Availability – Style and Swagger

Final Word – Enjoyed hell out of that one

Yaqi Thunderbird (China)

Yaqi have delivered one very respectable looking razor with their Thunderbird. I cannot put a handle on where the design might have been stolen, sorry, borrowed from, but it’s a great style of a razor. Fitted with its Yaqi Contact handle, the combined weight is over the magical 100g mark, yet the package somehow manages to appear compact. Wide blade clamping flats at the outer extremities of the cap have a machined surface, as do the corresponding flats on the plate, placing a vice like grip on the blade. There are three generous lather grooves down each side of the plate and for most part the finish is a smooth machined satin. It just oozes quality but just imagine if Yaqi had gone further and presented a polished or satin finish. I know it’s a Yaqi but it has looks and a style that appeals to me; all that is required now is for it to deliver a good shave.

Chinese razor, might as well use a Chinese blade; the only one I have is a Howard, so... I’ve nothing but praise for the Howard blade, they have always delivered everything I’ve ever required but don’t ask about longevity, I don’t know, I only use any blade for two shaves. Thunderbird by name but a thunderbolt by nature; this is a ‘knock em down, drag them out’ type razor. Delivering performance similar to a Muhle R41, make sure your technique is right before you start removing strips from down the side of your face. Efficiency wise the Thunderbird is on the high side of Karve CB level #D and just to back up that performance there is ample blade feel. A close shave was never in doubt and for such a performance razor, it was a reasonably smooth shave, the Thunderbird has won me. Yaqi’s Thunderbird is the complete package, compact size, reasonable cost, looks and performance. Great, but don’t let your guard down.

Blades Used – Howard and Gillette 7 O’Clock Yellow

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 103.2g

Head Width – 45.24mm

Handle Length – 80mm

Handle Diameter – 10.95mm

Availability – Style and Swagger

Final Word – Enjoyed hell out of that one
It even looks pretty.

Green Cult GC2.0 – Base Plate #III (Austria)

I must be getting weak, picking the Green Cult GC2.0 up for the first time and I’m thinking, what have I got myself into here. Its handle is heavy and there is a considerable amount of metal in the plate that could be reduced by a relief machined out of the back of the plate. Green Cult have done a great job with the cap, it has been machined to be very light and while having a series of flats over the top, their angles are unlikely to present any problem. Blade clamping is on large flats at the edge of the cap and lather is channelled through one long groove on each side of the plate. All the razor’s information has been engraved into the back of the plate and includes the usual information with the addition of blade gap and blade exposure – Gap 0.85mm, Exp 0.15mm. For the GC2.0, Green Cult have introduced four different efficiency plate options; Roman Numerals designate the plate efficiency, #I - #IV and for this review I’ll be using plate #III. Externally, Green Cult have presented all visible parts of the razor in a smooth satin finish.

There are a lot of razors out there that do not perform as well as the Green Cult GC2.0. Efficiency wise, with the #III plate fitted, it is just under the Karve CB Level #D and there is a small amount of positive blade feel present. The GC2.0 has far less blade feel than their original model and Green Cult have reacted to customer feedback on their handle and have given it a bit more girth and reduced the length considerably, a far more practical design for most users. While being smooth in operation and providing a close shave, there is one area Green Cult need to work on, weight reduction. Getting the weight down under the 100g mark would not be too difficult, it would make the GC2.0 a far more appealing razor but as it is now, it is still a remarkable performer.

Blades Used – Gillette 7 O’Clock Yellow and Gillette Super Thin

Material – 303 Stainless Steel

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 126g

Head Width – 43.13mm

Handle Length – 88.18mm

Handle Diameter – 13.03mm

Availability – Green Cult

Final Word – Much better, second time round

Wolfman Guerrilla 2023 - Bronze (Canada)

Too slow! Wolfman have released their 2023 version of the Guerrilla, and while I’d been meaning to review the original 2017 Guerrilla, I’ve not done it. First up, Wolfman released a stainless steel version of the Guerrilla 2023 then they released this one, their bronze; I ended up with one of each and for better or for worse, I’m using the bronze Guerrilla 2023 this week. Like the original Guerrilla, this year’s Guerrillas are available for purchase right off the shelf. Now for a look at the bronze Wolfman Guerrilla 2023; other than the material used and moving the blade posts from the plate from the plate to the cap not much appears to have changed between the different Guerrilla releases. Blade clamping is achieved at the outer edge of the cap and the blade posts fit into blind holes in the plate, true to the Wolfman design there is no excess metal in the head. A hollow bronze handle option is not offered on the Wolfman main line of handles, but it is a feature of the Guerrilla 2023. There is no knurling on the handle, and I don’t think there will be any qualms with grip. The automated matt finish produces a sand blasted like look, and shallow grooves machined into each end of the handle after the finishing process provide a heartening contrast.

Two plates with higher efficiency levels have been added to the Wolfman Guerrilla inventory, but I purchased early so this review is for the Wolfman Guerrilla with the standard 0.54mm plate. Knowing there are more aggressive plates available, I would prefer one, but it must be admitted that the Guerrilla with its 0.54mm plate done a commendable job. With the Feather blade fitted – wow, a great matchup! Efficiency wise the Guerrilla 2023 is marginally under the Karve CB level #C and with a small amount of positive blade there was little to no fear of misadventure. How high would I go when choosing a more efficiency plate is difficult to say but I’m thinking the .69mm blade gap when/ if the OC version of the Guerrilla becomes available, that could change. Grip levels on the handle felt very reassuring and the razor felt nimble; Wolfman used excellent parameters to machine the Guerrilla to. By moving the blade posts to the cap, the addition of a bronze version and now, the availability of different efficiency plates, the 2023 Guerrilla is sure to earn a lot of respect.

Blades Used – Gillette Platinum and Feather

Material –
C954 Bronze

Blade Tab - Exposed

Weight – 88.9g

Head Width – 41.71mm

Handle Length – 90.06mm

Handle Diameter – 13.97mm

Availability – Wolfman

Final Word – More oomph required

Too slow! Wolfman have released their 2023 version of the Guerrilla, and while I’d been meaning to review the original 2017 Guerrilla, I’ve not done it. First up, Wolfman released a stainless steel version of the Guerrilla 2023 then they released this one, their bronze; I ended up with one of each and for better or for worse, I’m using the bronze Guerrilla 2023 this week. Like the original Guerrilla, this year’s Guerrillas are available for purchase right off the shelf. Now for a look at the bronze Wolfman Guerrilla 2023; other than the material used and moving the blade posts from the plate from the plate to the cap not much appears to have changed between the different Guerrilla releases. Blade clamping is achieved at the outer edge of the cap and the blade posts fit into blind holes in the plate, true to the Wolfman design there is no excess metal in the head. A hollow bronze handle option is not offered on the Wolfman main line of handles, but it is a feature of the Guerrilla 2023. There is no knurling on the handle, and I don’t think there will be any qualms with grip. The automated matt finish produces a sand blasted like look, and shallow grooves machined into each end of the handle after the finishing process provide a heartening contrast.

Two plates with higher efficiency levels have been added to the Wolfman Guerrilla inventory, but I purchased early so this review is for the Wolfman Guerrilla with the standard 0.54mm plate. Knowing there are more aggressive plates available, I would prefer one, but it must be admitted that the Guerrilla with its 0.54mm plate done a commendable job. With the Feather blade fitted – wow, a great matchup! Efficiency wise the Guerrilla 2023 is marginally under the Karve CB level #C and with a small amount of positive blade there was little to no fear of misadventure. How high would I go when choosing a more efficiency plate is difficult to say but I’m thinking the .69mm blade gap when/ if the OC version of the Guerrilla becomes available, that could change. Grip levels on the handle felt very reassuring and the razor felt nimble; Wolfman used excellent parameters to machine the Guerrilla to. By moving the blade posts to the cap, the addition of a bronze version and now, the availability of different efficiency plates, the 2023 Guerrilla is sure to earn a lot of respect.

Material –
C954 Bronze

Blade Tab - Exposed

Weight – 88.9g

Head Width – 41.71mm

Handle Length – 90.06mm

Availability – Wolfman

Thanks for another great review. With the Blutt razor sold out and Karve currently not shipping to Australia, this is kind of tempting.

Material –
C954 Bronze

Blade Tab - Exposed

Weight – 88.9g

Head Width – 41.71mm

Handle Length – 90.06mm

Availability – Wolfman

🥱 ... another Wolfman Review ... 🥱

Thanks for taking ANOTHER one for the team @Errol 😉

Blackland Blackbird Lite Polished (USA)

I’ve always had a soft spot for the Blackbird in its standard form so had little desire to race out and purchase the Lite when it was released. After all, Blackbirds in their standard form delivered all the performance I desired from a razor in one very neat little package. Eventually, positive results from users of the Lite got me to thinking that there must be something there worth investigating. Rather than purchase a complete razor, I opted for a polished Lite plate to suit the Blackbird I already had. While the doner Blackbird was machined and polished about 2018 and the Lite plate was machined and polished in 2023, everything matches perfectly. Blade clamping on the Blackbird is inside the edge of the cap and lather is channeled away through one long groove on each side of the plate. Longitudinal grooves are machined along the length of the handle and provide exceptional grip in all circumstances. You’ve got to admire any razor that looks this good.

In the Lite, Blackland have done a commendable job in reducing its efficiency without altering its character to any extent. Sure, efficiency is reduced to about the Karve CB Level #C range and there remains a pleasant amount of positive blade, but the important thing is that it shaves as a mid-efficient Blackbird would be expected to shave. One positive outcome of the reduction in efficiency is that the Blackbird Lite is a very forgiving razor; it always felt safe without fear of injury and allowed the shave to be completed in auto pilot. Being mid efficiency, the Lite finds itself in a bracket where there are any number of competing razors that deliver a similar feeling shave, but the Lite has one important feature the others can’t match, it’s the Blackland Blackbird Lite. Blackland identified the need for a medium efficiency razor in their range and decided to fill that gap by reducing the efficiency of the original Blackbird; there is no doubt they have succeeded. There will be those who favour the performance of the Lite but given the choice, I would always select the original plate, every time.

Blades Used – Personna Med Prep and Royal II

Material –
303 Stainless Steel

Blade Tab - Exposed

Weight – 93g

Head Width – 41.96mm

Handle Length – 82.05mm

Handle Diameter – 10.86mm

Availability – Blackland

Final Word – Watered down Blackbird

I’ve always had a soft spot for the Blackbird in its standard form so had little desire to race out and purchase the Lite when it was released. After all, Blackbirds in their standard form delivered all the performance I desired from a razor in one very neat little package. Eventually, positive results from users of the Lite got me to thinking that there must be something there worth investigating. Rather than purchase a complete razor, I opted for a polished Lite plate to suit the Blackbird I already had. While the doner Blackbird was machined and polished about 2018 and the Lite plate was machined and polished in 2023, everything matches perfectly. Blade clamping on the Blackbird is inside the edge of the cap and lather is channeled away through one long groove on each side of the plate. Longitudinal grooves are machined along the length of the handle and provide exceptional grip in all circumstances. You’ve got to admire any razor that looks this good.

In the Lite, Blackland have done a commendable job in reducing its efficiency without altering its character to any extent. Sure, efficiency is reduced to about the Karve CB Level #C range and there remains a pleasant amount of positive blade, but the important thing is that it shaves as a mid-efficient Blackbird would be expected to shave. One positive outcome of the reduction in efficiency is that the Blackbird Lite is a very forgiving razor; it always felt safe without fear of injury and allowed the shave to be completed in auto pilot. Being mid efficiency, the Lite finds itself in a bracket where there are any number of competing razors that deliver a similar feeling shave, but the Lite has one important feature the others can’t match, it’s the Blackland Blackbird Lite. Blackland identified the need for a medium efficiency razor in their range and decided to fill that gap by reducing the efficiency of the original Blackbird; there is no doubt they have succeeded. There will be those who favour the performance of the Lite but given the choice, I would always select the original plate, every time.

Material –
303 Stainless Steel

Blade Tab - Exposed

Weight – 93g

Head Width – 41.96mm

Handle Length – 82.05mm

Availability – Blackland

It's about bloody time!...

giphy.gif

Material –
303 Stainless Steel

Blade Tab - Exposed

Weight – 93g

Head Width – 41.96mm

Handle Length – 82.05mm

Availability – Blackland

Another Saturday and another outstanding Razor Review from our resident guru @Errol. I was late to join the Blackbird appreciation club so naturally was surprised to see a Lite version and judging by your opinion I'm thankful I didn't bite and try a Lite plate as the SS Blackbird delivers plenty of efficiency without being a face peeler so thanks for saving me an unnecessary purchase! (y)