Weekly Razor Review

Gillette Flare Tip Rocket (England)

Towards the end of last year I had the pleasure of meeting up with @Mark1966, the walking encyclopedia on all razors, Gillette. I was privileged to an exclusive, one on one personal viewing and demonstration of Mark’s extensive collection of Gillette razors. Mark took the time to explain the differences in models, variations and the evolution of Gillette razors down through the years, what an experience that night turned out to be – I learned so much, thanks again Mark. On the drive from Sydney to Canberra that morning, I scored a couple of Gillette razors at an antique store and Mark was only too pleased to identify them for me. Later in the evening I was talking about my old Army issue Gillette and how I’d thrown it out after it wore out. Mark’s ears pricked, and he advised that the Gillette I was issued was probably a Super Speed and that the Flare Tip Rocket I had purchased that very morning should shave very similar; the Flare Tip Rocket being the British equivalent of the Super Speed that was produced in USA. For old time’s sake I simply had to prepare the Flare Tip Rocket ready for a review. There’s not a whole lot that can be said about the Flare Tip Rocket; in the true Gillette tradition of razors from that period, it’s a one piece razor, plated brass chassis that employs a twist to open mechanism; millions were made, and this is just one of them. Mine is very much a user grade razor with everything appearing to work as it should. I have one big advantage, Mark ran a critical eye over it and after making sure everything was straight, that it opened and closed properly and a few sub-conscious checks that I know anything about, gave it his tick of approval, that’s good enough for me.

It's about 13 years since I threw my old Gillette out and I’ve shaved with one or two different razors since then, so I wasn’t sure if I’d remember how the Old Girl shaved. A stumbling block – I didn’t have any blades with about 50 shaves on them; in those days I believed in getting the absolute maximum out of a blade (and then some) and then marvel at the ability of a new blade to do its job; it never occurred to me to change my blades out after only a few shaves. I did, however, have a stock of Gillette Super Stainless Reds, the very blade I used almost exclusively throughout my first 40 plus years of shaving. Occasionally I could get hold of some Wilkinson Sword blades so there was the blade selection completed.

Memories of the old Gillette did not come flooding back, however there was one recollection that I was reminded of, constant weepers, especially with the fresh Super Stainless Reds; there was fewer weepers with the Wilkinson blades, maybe that’s why I preferred the Wilkinson blades when I could get them. What the Flare Tip Rocket did establish was my preference for razors that fall into the Karve CB Level #D efficiency range, although I would rate the efficiency of the Rocket as being under Kerve CB level #D efficiency. Shorter handles and a liking of some positive blade feel was also bought to the fore, but in the Rocket’s case, a fair amount of positive blade was present. Even with the positive blade feel, the shave was still smooth and there were no complaints about the closeness of the shave. I’m sure that Mark was spot on with his guesstimation of what my old razor was, so it was good to experience the feel of a similar razor I had used for all those years. I’ll now be keeping a bit of an eye out for a Super Speed around 1961 vintage, looking forward to using that.

Blades Used – Gillette Super Stainless Red and Wilkinson Sword

Material – Brass frame nickel plated

Blade Tab - Exposed

Weight – 59g

Head Width – 42.97mm

Handle Length – 76.58mm

Handle Diameter – 10.14mm

Availability – Out of production

Final Word – Pretty good for an old clanger
Have one. Love it.

Towards the end of last year I had the pleasure of meeting up with @Mark1966, the walking encyclopedia on all razors, Gillette. I was privileged to an exclusive, one on one personal viewing and demonstration of Mark’s extensive collection of Gillette razors. Mark took the time to explain the differences in models, variations and the evolution of Gillette razors down through the years, what an experience that night turned out to be – I learned so much, thanks again Mark. On the drive from Sydney to Canberra that morning, I scored a couple of Gillette razors at an antique store and Mark was only too pleased to identify them for me. Later in the evening I was talking about my old Army issue Gillette and how I’d thrown it out after it wore out. Mark’s ears pricked, and he advised that the Gillette I was issued was probably a Super Speed and that the Flare Tip Rocket I had purchased that very morning should shave very similar; the Flare Tip Rocket being the British equivalent of the Super Speed that was produced in USA. For old time’s sake I simply had to prepare the Flare Tip Rocket ready for a review. There’s not a whole lot that can be said about the Flare Tip Rocket; in the true Gillette tradition of razors from that period, it’s a one piece razor, plated brass chassis that employs a twist to open mechanism; millions were made, and this is just one of them. Mine is very much a user grade razor with everything appearing to work as it should. I have one big advantage, Mark ran a critical eye over it and after making sure everything was straight, that it opened and closed properly and a few sub-conscious checks that I know anything about, gave it his tick of approval, that’s good enough for me.

It's about 13 years since I threw my old Gillette out and I’ve shaved with one or two different razors since then, so I wasn’t sure if I’d remember how the Old Girl shaved. A stumbling block – I didn’t have any blades with about 50 shaves on them; in those days I believed in getting the absolute maximum out of a blade (and then some) and then marvel at the ability of a new blade to do its job; it never occurred to me to change my blades out after only a few shaves. I did, however, have a stock of Gillette Super Stainless Reds, the very blade I used almost exclusively throughout my first 40 plus years of shaving. Occasionally I could get hold of some Wilkinson Sword blades so there was the blade selection completed.

Memories of the old Gillette did not come flooding back, however there was one recollection that I was reminded of, constant weepers, especially with the fresh Super Stainless Reds; there was fewer weepers with the Wilkinson blades, maybe that’s why I preferred the Wilkinson blades when I could get them. What the Flare Tip Rocket did establish was my preference for razors that fall into the Karve CB Level #D efficiency range, although I would rate the efficiency of the Rocket as being under Kerve CB level #D efficiency. Shorter handles and a liking of some positive blade feel was also bought to the fore, but in the Rocket’s case, a fair amount of positive blade was present. Even with the positive blade feel, the shave was still smooth and there were no complaints about the closeness of the shave. I’m sure that Mark was spot on with his guesstimation of what my old razor was, so it was good to experience the feel of a similar razor I had used for all those years. I’ll now be keeping a bit of an eye out for a Super Speed around 1961 vintage, looking forward to using that.

Blade Tab - Exposed

Weight – 59g

Head Width – 42.97mm

Handle Length – 76.58mm

Yup, glad I kept mine from my young teenage years, handed to me by my father over 40 years ago. Sitting quietly in a dark drawer throughout the cartridge years, only to pop up and say "Hi, remember me?" when I turned away from aerosol foam and cartridges a few years back. Have since acquired another one (amongst many other razors) but it's basically a childhood heirloom that still sees duty in my regular razor rotation. Definitely a keeper.

Blade Tab - Exposed

Weight – 59g

Head Width – 42.97mm

Handle Length – 76.58mm

Was great to be able to share the collection with you - and so pleased to see your scores!

I would echo your comments about the Rockets and equivalent Super Speeds.

Enjoy them!

Blade Tab - Exposed

Weight – 59g

Head Width – 42.97mm

Handle Length – 76.58mm

Enjoyed your review — thank you. I find the the Flare Tip Rocket shave's similar to my AS-D2, more so, than a EFB Tech. The Rocket remains one of my favourite razors, and like the AS-D2, gets better with familiarity.

Feather AS-D1 (Japan)

Feather’s AS-D1 was the predecessor to their AS-D2 model and early on, I was concerned with getting the parts mixed up and not knowing which plate went with what cap, etc. As it turned out there was nothing to worry about, the parts are not interchangeable between the two variants, ah yeah, you could probably change the handles. Feather has machined a very light head with a thin profile cap and elongated blade posts that aren’t flat on the bottom but have a notch on their outer ends; these mate into grooves in the plate that only partly go through the plate at the notch. On the back of the plate, Feather has left a built up area around the blade post groove, a bit of smart machining plus it looks very professional and should provide good strength. Something out of left field with the finish, while each piece of the razor is stainless steel they have been hard chrome plated; this finish provides visual stimulus and positive grip.

At best, the Feather AS-D1 can only be classified as mild. It has an efficiency level under that of the Karve CB level #B and near neutral blade exposure; there must be some blade exposure because the blade can be heard working but there’s not much. Even with these limitations, the delivered shave was close and certainly smooth. This is one razor where I feel a shim may pay dividends. Why just talk about a shim Errol, check it for yourself; for my last shave with the AS-D1, that’s exactly what I done. This is the first time I’ve used a shim, but it won’t be the last, it turned a very mild performing razor into one that I could gladly use every day. Karve CB Level #C performance, pleasant blade feel, and smooth. It’s good to know the shim option works but as the AS-D1 was delivered from the factory, it is not for me; more efficiency and blade feel is required.

Blades Used – Feather and Howard

Material – Plated stainless steel

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 91g

Head Width – 42.81mm

Handle Length – 91.02mm

Handle Diameter – 11.03mm

Final Word – Another razor

Feather AS-D1 (Japan)
giphy.gif

Feather AS-D1 (Japan)

Feather’s AS-D1 was the predecessor to their AS-D2 model and early on, I was concerned with getting the parts mixed up and not knowing which plate went with what cap, etc. As it turned out there was nothing to worry about, the parts are not interchangeable between the two variants, ah yeah, you could probably change the handles. Feather has machined a very light head with a thin profile cap and elongated blade posts that aren’t flat on the bottom but have a notch on their outer ends; these mate into grooves in the plate that only partly go through the plate at the notch. On the back of the plate, Feather has left a built up area around the blade post groove, a bit of smart machining plus it looks very professional and should provide good strength. Something out of left field with the finish, while each piece of the razor is stainless steel they have been hard chrome plated; this finish provides visual stimulus and positive grip.

At best, the Feather AS-D1 can only be classified as mild. It has an efficiency level under that of the Karve CB level #B and near neutral blade exposure; there must be some blade exposure because the blade can be heard working but there’s not much. Even with these limitations, the delivered shave was close and certainly smooth. This is one razor where I feel a shim may pay dividends. Why just talk about a shim Errol, check it for yourself; for my last shave with the AS-D1, that’s exactly what I done. This is the first time I’ve used a shim, but it won’t be the last, it turned a very mild performing razor into one that I could gladly use every day. Karve CB Level #C performance, pleasant blade feel, and smooth. It’s good to know the shim option works but as the AS-D1 was delivered from the factory, it is not for me; more efficiency and blade feel is required.

Blades Used – Feather and Howard

Material – Plated stainless steel

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 91g

Head Width – 42.81mm

Handle Length – 91.02mm

Handle Diameter – 11.03mm

I'm glad you tried the shim and liked it. It transforms my AS-D2 and my Rocnel Elite. I used to hold the view (and still generally think) that if you had to shim a razor then why bother but my Rocnel was a gift so it holds high sentimental value plus it's a beautifully engineered razor so to get it to perform easily is a no brainer for me. Once I had success with that I thought I'd try it on the AS-D2 and it gave equally satisfying results.

I'm glad you tried the shim and liked it. It transforms my AS-D2 and my Rocnel Elite. I used to hold the view (and still generally think) that if you had to shim a razor then why bother but my Rocnel was a gift so it holds high sentimental value plus it's a beautifully engineered razor so to get it to perform easily is a no brainer for me. Once I had success with that I thought I'd try it on the AS-D2 and it gave equally satisfying results.
Might even make a Rocca half respectable.

Nahl Biolabs (England)

Take a gander at this ugly looking contraption will you, a recycled Coke bottle masquerading as a razor, of sorts. Nahl Biolabs have delivered a 3D printed razor using recycled plastic and, in the process, have come up with something very different. I wouldn’t call it innovative because the design is not practical and has not been thought through; it’s a three piece razor but not as we know it. Up front there is a huge box section for a blade slide to fit into, it’s long, it’s wide and it’s cumbersome and just to add insult the sides bulge out, even more so when the handle is screwed down. That bulge also forces the edge in front of the blade to become convex, not what is required when shaving. At the rear of the box the shoulder section has a course threaded hole and a mating male thread on the handle secures all three pieces together. The guts of the whole design is the blade slide. Roughly, a double edge blade is 43mm long, Nahl Biolabs made the blade slide 46 mm long; the inside of the box section is 48mm long and the outside measures 54mm. Looking at those dimensions, there’s 5mm of slop that could simply be removed from the internal dimensions of the box without even trying. Now to the critical aspect of the blade slide, the blade posts are only 1.5mm wide. I measured the blade post on a couple of machined razors, and they were 2.08mm wide. That’s 0.58mm of blade movement at the blade post which could translate to more than double that at the corner of the blade. There is no way of repeatedly positioning a blade onto the blade post without it being cocked out of alignment, and if you do happen to snag a lined up blade there is no way of reproducing the same alignment next time.

A double edge blade is loaded onto the blade slide but only one edge can be used at any one time, so is it a DE or a SE razor??????? I don’t care, because there is no way I’ll be putting the Nahl Biolabs razor anywhere near my face when it has a blade in it, with its inherent blade alignment issues plus the amount of slop, it is just too great a risk and is going to prove nothing. There is a lot of work to be done on the Nahl Biolabs design before it is practical to use; its ideal place is back in the landfill it was rescued from.

Material – Recycled plastic

Blade Tab – Boxed in

Weight – 18g

Head Width – 14.23mm

Handle Length – 75.39mm

Handle Diameter – 53.89mm

Availability – Why would you want one?

Final Word – Should have demanded a refund

Nahl Biolabs (England)

Take a gander at this ugly looking contraption will you, a recycled Coke bottle masquerading as a razor, of sorts. Nahl Biolabs have delivered a 3D printed razor using recycled plastic and, in the process, have come up with something very different. I wouldn’t call it innovative because the design is not practical and has not been thought through; it’s a three piece razor but not as we know it. Up front there is a huge box section for a blade slide to fit into, it’s long, it’s wide and it’s cumbersome and just to add insult the sides bulge out, even more so when the handle is screwed down. That bulge also forces the edge in front of the blade to become convex, not what is required when shaving. At the rear of the box the shoulder section has a course threaded hole and a mating male thread on the handle secures all three pieces together. The guts of the whole design is the blade slide. Roughly, a double edge blade is 43mm long, Nahl Biolabs made the blade slide 46 mm long; the inside of the box section is 48mm long and the outside measures 54mm. Looking at those dimensions, there’s 5mm of slop that could simply be removed from the internal dimensions of the box without even trying. Now to the critical aspect of the blade slide, the blade posts are only 1.5mm wide. I measured the blade post on a couple of machined razors, and they were 2.08mm wide. That’s 0.58mm of blade movement at the blade post which could translate to more than double that at the corner of the blade. There is no way of repeatedly positioning a blade onto the blade post without it being cocked out of alignment, and if you do happen to snag a lined up blade there is no way of reproducing the same alignment next time.

A double edge blade is loaded onto the blade slide but only one edge can be used at any one time, so is it a DE or a SE razor??????? I don’t care, because there is no way I’ll be putting the Nahl Biolabs razor anywhere near my face when it has a blade in it, with its inherent blade alignment issues plus the amount of slop, it is just too great a risk and is going to prove nothing. There is a lot of work to be done on the Nahl Biolabs design before it is practical to use; its ideal place is back in the landfill it was rescued from.

Material – Recycled plastic

Blade Tab – Boxed in

Weight – 18g

Head Width – 14.23mm

Handle Length – 75.39mm

Handle Diameter – 53.89mm

Availability – Why would you want one?

Final Word – Should have demanded a refund

Mate, too many words!

All you needed was 'recycled plastic' and 'landfill it was rescued from' - sufficient to get government funding as an environmental initiative AND possible a 'Razor Buy Back' program as other razors are collected and everyone is issued with this.

I see great possibilities!

That seems a pretty poor attempt at a 3D printed razor. I've seem many much better.
This is the only one I have.

Designed to take a Gem blade with an Enders inspired handle and printed in transparent resin. The TNNSER holds the blade tight and straight, it also gives a great shave. I haven't used it in a while, I think I'll take it for a run tomorrow.

Charcoal Goods Everyday Razor – Stainless Steel (USA)

News that Charcoal Goods has ceased production and closed their doors, prompted me to reach for a Charcoal Goods razor, the last Charcoal Goods razor I purchased. Brian Twilley, the man behind Charcoal Goods machined most of his works of arts from brass but occasionally released stainless steel versions. Charcoal Goods production site was regularly moved around the country and just before a move at the end of 2020 released the stainless steel Everyday Razor I’m about to review. It was a very small release of his then new, Everyday Razor and to the best of my knowledge, there were no more machined in stainless steel. Looking much like tool chatter, the top surface of the cap has diagonal lines across the surface, a demonstration of this artisan’s outstanding machining ability. Blade loading is on diamond shaped blade posts on the plate that fit into large, shallow recesses in the cap. Therefore, missing from the head is any form of alignment between the cap and plate other than the blade clamping flats on the outer edge of the cap. This razor was less expensive to purchase than their main line of razors, less machining is probably why. For the Everyday Razor there was a dedicated handle design and one is fitted to this razor; basically, it’s a series of nicks machined around the finger grip section of the handle that set it apart. To finish off the razor, an eye pleasing satin finish is applied.

As the name suggests, this razor could be used every day by the majority of users. Karve CB level #C efficiency with a pleasant amount of blade feel that translated to a very smooth and close shave. With no alternate alignment method other than the blade clamping flats between the cap and plate, as soon the handle is loosened to rinse, the cap and plate are free to rotate. If the razor was being used every day, it would be second nature and the handle would not be screwed out so far but for these one off shaves, I was caught out every time. This annoyance was a small sacrifice for what was an extremely pleasant shave. Charcoal Goods contribution to the wet shaving community will surely be missed, especially with some of their artistic handle designs that will probably never be equalled. I’m just sorry now that I didn’t commission a titanium Charcoal Goods razor before the doors were closed. Enjoy your retirement, Brian.

Blades Used – Gillette Nacet and Bic

Material – Stainless Steel

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 80g

Head Width – 44.58mm

Handle Length – 88.98mm

Handle Diameter – 12.71mm

Final Word – A great little razor

Yeah, I love fancy handles. Unfortunately Tibam is in Russia and Stork in Belarus. Yaqi recently copied Wolfman's Darwin handle, they also released some other handles that are medium level fancy. Wonder what inspired them. After their Hone-Tatara-aluminum razor I wonder when they will go from combining different parts to getting a new handle idea of their own. 🤷‍♂️

Making fancy handles in the west is probably too costly and too low demand, I am afraid. But what do I know.

Blow me away with a fancy handle and offer me a rate payment option if necessary, money usually tends to be less of a concern for me when greed and desire are great. 😎

Yeah, I love fancy handles. Unfortunately Tibam is in Russia and Stork in Belarus. Yaqi recently copied Wolfman's Darwin handle, they also released some other handles that are medium level fancy. Wonder what inspired them. After their Hone-Tatara-aluminum razor I wonder when they will go from combining different parts to getting a new handle idea of their own. 🤷‍♂️

Making fancy handles in the west is probably too costly and too low demand, I am afraid. But what do I know.

Blow me away with a fancy handle and offer me a rate payment option if necessary, money usually tends to be less of a concern for me when greed and desire are great. 😎
Have you checked out the Windrose handles? I have a beautiful K2 in SS that doesn't fit my hand as well as I thought it might, but it's nice to look at.

The everyday razor will remain on my to buy list for years to come. Originally when I was looking at his works the everyday wasn't a thing but then when it came about it was far too hard for any mere mortal like myself to own any of his razors. haha.

I have always preferred that the top cap have the mounting posts on it in some form rather than the base plate (with the exception of the Denali razor which I felt was a great idea but the less said about that razor the better for me) but that is something I have come to accept with a few Razorock razors and as you said it's just something you eventually get used to. What really matters is the shave and reading your review makes we want one just that little bit more.

I don't know if there is any truth to this but I have heard some people say that the stainless steel models were always a slight bit more aggressive than the brass and copper models but I have no idea about that.

I agree about that in regards to artistic handles.
This might sound stupid but from the moment he retired (with his website now completely gone) I wondered if any razor manufacturer would be willing to up their game and maybe make a reasonably attainable razor or handle that could be a tribute razor to Brian. Given that thought who would you feel would be able to perform such an artistic feat whilst not costing the earth and also being attainable by many.
My thoughts are Razorock, whether their machinists are capable of that I am not sure but it would be pretty cool.

Titanium Charcoal Goods razor... now there is a thought! I imagine that would have been pretty challenging for him given the difficulty with working with such a material. If he did it probably would have been super limited.
Nice review. I look forward to the next one. (y)

Stork do make some really great handles. I have almost bought one or two of their handles over the years but always chickened out once I put it in my cart and see how much it will cost me. Each time I do this I regret not buying them but they are pretty great designs and workmanship.

This might sound stupid but from the moment he retired (with his website now completely gone) I wondered if any razor manufacturer would be willing to up their game and maybe make a reasonably attainable razor or handle that could be a tribute razor to Brian. Given that thought who would you feel would be able to perform such an artistic feat whilst not costing the earth and also being attainable by many.
My thoughts are Razorock, whether their machinists are capable of that I am not sure but it would be pretty cool.
Blackland did that with the Tradere, so I'm sure he could do it again. As to whether Shane would be inclined to embark on a project like this is open to question though. :unsure:

Blackland did that with the Tradere, so I'm sure he could do it again. As to whether Shane would be inclined to embark on a project like this is open to question though. :unsure:
That's a good point. It's quite the task. If I am not mistaken I believe Blackland machines and does all the work in house.
Shane is on leave at the moment as his with is having a baby.