Weekly Razor Review

giphy.gif
pPQa2FV.jpg

BB-Lite-BP.jpg
Its a lot of cash for what is ultimately a down grade on the Blackbird and besides I require Karve D plate 'minimum' levels for my beard growth so I'll politely pass as plenty of Karve C plate level razors have been in my den and moved on due to lack of efficiency and nothing convinces me that a Blackbird Lite would change that.

Besides the Vector fits the middle ground for mildness yet efficient shaves. It looks nice and fills a market for those who appreciate the Blackbird but want a smoother/milder shave but not for this hombre!

Blackland Blackbird Brass OC (USA)

If you’re looking for a brass Blackbird, start checking BST and other outlets for second hand razors, Blackland have deleted the Brassbird from their range. Both my brass Blackbirds (SB and OC variants) were purchased at their release in 2019. A 100mm handle was released at the same time, and as I didn’t have a 100mm Blackbird handle I selected it for this razor. Polished versions of the brass Blackbird came along well after I purchased mine, therefore my brass Blackbird OC is the machine finished version. There is nothing to complain about with the machine finish, it is very well executed and gives the razor a satin look and positive feel. All parts fit together perfectly as is expected from a premium supplier such as Blackland. Other than being machined from brass and the additional length on the handle, there is no visual differences between it and the stainless steel or titanium versions.

Ahh!! Now that’s a Blackbird. It’s no wonder I have such fond memories of shaving with a Blackbird, this razor meets my parameters as to how a razor should perform. With a little more than Karve CB level #D efficiency and a generous amount of positive blade, the Brassbird simply mows down every whisker. For some reason (maybe the Personna blade) this Brassbird feels more aggressive than the other Blackbird versions previously used, not much, but it is noticeable. There is little sensation that an open comb razor is being deployed, the shave was reasonably smooth and there is no need to declare that it was close. In general, I would not choose a 100mm long handle when there is a shorter option, but the extra length in the 100mm long handle had little effect on the shave. Every time I use a Blackbird I’m impressed by its consistency in delivering a superb shave, the Brassbird is no different.

Blades Used – Personna Platinum and Gillette Super Thin

Material – Brass

Blade Tab - Exposed

Weight – 118.7g

Head Width – 42.09mm

Handle Length – 101.25mm

Handle Diameter – 10.88mm

Availability – Out of production

Final Word – That’s a Blackbird

If you’re looking for a brass Blackbird, start checking BST and other outlets for second hand razors, Blackland have deleted the Brassbird from their range. Both my brass Blackbirds (SB and OC variants) were purchased at their release in 2019. A 100mm handle was released at the same time, and as I didn’t have a 100mm Blackbird handle I selected it for this razor. Polished versions of the brass Blackbird came along well after I purchased mine, therefore my brass Blackbird OC is the machine finished version. There is nothing to complain about with the machine finish, it is very well executed and gives the razor a satin look and positive feel. All parts fit together perfectly as is expected from a premium supplier such as Blackland. Other than being machined from brass and the additional length on the handle, there is no visual differences between it and the stainless steel or titanium versions.

Ahh!! Now that’s a Blackbird. It’s no wonder I have such fond memories of shaving with a Blackbird, this razor meets my parameters as to how a razor should perform. With a little more than Karve CB level #D efficiency and a generous amount of positive blade, the Brassbird simply mows down every whisker. For some reason (maybe the Personna blade) this Brassbird feels more aggressive than the other Blackbird versions previously used, not much, but it is noticeable. There is little sensation that an open comb razor is being deployed, the shave was reasonably smooth and there is no need to declare that it was close. In general, I would not choose a 100mm long handle when there is a shorter option, but the extra length in the 100mm long handle had little effect on the shave. Every time I use a Blackbird I’m impressed by its consistency in delivering a superb shave, the Brassbird is no different.

Material – Brass

Blade Tab - Exposed

Weight – 118.7g

Head Width – 42.09mm

Handle Length – 101.25mm

Great review @Errol. I picked up the machined open comb version with the long handle at a closeout price when they were discontinued. I love the little extra weight of the brass version.

Material – Brass

Blade Tab - Exposed

Weight – 118.7g

Head Width – 42.09mm

Handle Length – 101.25mm

Now that's a Blackbird I would love to own! Great review @Errol 🏆

Plisson 1808 OC Moiré (France)

Specifications for the Plisson 1808 Moiré suggest that it is not a razor that I would feel comfortable using, but there is so much in its old school looks and charm that appeals to me. It took me straight back to my childhood where I remember Mum’s vanity items displayed proudly on her dressing table, the style of the Moiré would fit right in. With a brass chassis electroplated in palladium, it presents a striking figure. Blade clamping is taken care of with large flats at the outer edge of the cap against the circular shaped plate. Long bullet shaped blade posts protrude through the plate and their reflections present striking images thanks to the palladium mirror finish. If you’re thinking the Plisson’s head design looks familiar, it has a lot to do with it being made under licence from Fatip. And that handle, stunningly beautiful, long, fat, and a weird torpedo shape decorated is an intricate but spectacular pattern to compliment the razor. Before a blade is even inserted, the Plisson Moiré has one big advantage, it has the looks.

Some vintage Schick blades were included in a recent purchase so what better razor to try one in, no complaints about the blade, its performance was nothing short of perfection. With efficiency around the Karve CB level #D range and perfect (for me) blade exposure, the shave still could not be described as smooth, reasonably comfortable but certainly not smooth. This situation was not aided by the open comb that made its presence felt, especially in the tighter spots, however the sensation of shaving with an open comb was always there. My first couple of shaves were let down by that lovely handle; the pattern on the handle done absolutely nothing in securing a positive grip when wet; in fact, it was downright slippery. There must have been some coating on the handle that slowly wore off, thank goodness. While being an attractive razor to look at, the results were simply not there; overall, a bit disappointing.

Blades Used – Vintage Schick and vintage Gillette Super Stainless White

Material – Brass – Palladium Finish

Blade Tab - Exposed

Weight – 105.1g

Head Width – 42.6mm

Handle Length – 109.46mm

Handle Diameter – 15mm

Availability – Plisson

Final Word –
Show pony

Specifications for the Plisson 1808 Moiré suggest that it is not a razor that I would feel comfortable using, but there is so much in its old school looks and charm that appeals to me. It took me straight back to my childhood where I remember Mum’s vanity items displayed proudly on her dressing table, the style of the Moiré would fit right in. With a brass chassis electroplated in palladium, it presents a striking figure. Blade clamping is taken care of with large flats at the outer edge of the cap against the circular shaped plate. Long bullet shaped blade posts protrude through the plate and their reflections present striking images thanks to the palladium mirror finish. If you’re thinking the Plisson’s head design looks familiar, it has a lot to do with it being made under licence from Fatip. And that handle, stunningly beautiful, long, fat, and a weird torpedo shape decorated is an intricate but spectacular pattern to compliment the razor. Before a blade is even inserted, the Plisson Moiré has one big advantage, it has the looks.

Some vintage Schick blades were included in a recent purchase so what better razor to try one in, no complaints about the blade, its performance was nothing short of perfection. With efficiency around the Karve CB level #D range and perfect (for me) blade exposure, the shave still could not be described as smooth, reasonably comfortable but certainly not smooth. This situation was not aided by the open comb that made its presence felt, especially in the tighter spots, however the sensation of shaving with an open comb was always there. My first couple of shaves were let down by that lovely handle; the pattern on the handle done absolutely nothing in securing a positive grip when wet; in fact, it was downright slippery. There must have been some coating on the handle that slowly wore off, thank goodness. While being an attractive razor to look at, the results were simply not there; overall, a bit disappointing.

Blade Tab - Exposed

Weight – 105.1g

Head Width – 42.6mm

Handle Length – 109.46mm

Handle Diameter – 15mm

Availability – Plisson

Final Word –
Show pony
It certainly is pretty. Any problem with blade alignment? That's been a problem for me with Fatip razors.

Blade Tab - Exposed

Weight – 105.1g

Head Width – 42.6mm

Handle Length – 109.46mm

Handle Diameter – 15mm

Availability – Plisson

Final Word –
Show pony
That handle is a work of art! Looks like it was "Engine Turned". Beautiful.

PILS 118NL (Germany)

PILS was one of the early companies to offer a machined stainless steel razor for sale, they got their design right as they are still producing and selling their razor very much to its original design that features the blade tabs being enclosed. I’ve had this razor for close to six years and used it when it was first delivered but how quickly we forget. What a different looking razor - two piece, covered blade ends and slender handle with not a vestige of grip. PILS 118NL was advertised as having a combination of two different finishes, satin and polished. Try as hard as I may, it all looks highly polished to me except under the cap where light machining marks are visible. While the cap looks solid, it has been machined to be very light but with concave ends to assist with grip while separating it from the body of the razor; it is the thickish plate that gives the razor a head heavy balance. As the PILS is a two piece razor, the blade posts are positioned on the top of the plate and these mate to blind slots in the cap, all very simple for blade loading.

If you happen to be a little off in your shave angel the PILS simply does not work, however get the angle right and you’re presented with a shave approximating that of a Karve CB Level #C and enough positive blade feel to be pleasant. At all times the PILS was smooth, but with the Minora blade fitted, smoothness was at a higher level. For a razor with this efficiency, the shave was certainly close, and each shave provided one of these ‘last all day’ special feeling shaves. As for the extra width of the cap resulting from covering the blade tabs, it was not a factor. If I was not checking for it, I would not have noted it, but for a novice it could be worth consideration. For a handle with no machined grip whatsoever, there was enough positive control of the razor, my theory of keeping my hands wet certainly worked here. There is little doubt that the style of the PILS has become dated and the razor itself is falling behind in many areas, it’s head heavy, it has a critical shave angle, it’s quirky and it takes time for its abilities to be appreciated, however the more the PILS is used, the more its virtues become apparent. This is a great little razor, but you’ve first have to get used to its quirky ways to fully appreciate the experience on offer.

Blades Used – Royal II and Gillette Minora

Material –
Stainless steel

Blade Tab - Enclosed

Weight – 118g

Head Width – 46.72mm

Handle Length – 91.08mm

Handle Diameter – 9.79mm

Availability – PILS

Final Word – German longevity

PILS 118NL (Germany)

PILS was one of the early companies to offer a machined stainless steel razor for sale, they got their design right as they are still producing and selling their razor very much to its original design that features the blade tabs being enclosed. I’ve had this razor for close to six years and used it when it was first delivered but how quickly we forget. What a different looking razor - two piece, covered blade ends and slender handle with not a vestige of grip. PILS 118NL was advertised as having a combination of two different finishes, satin and polished. Try as hard as I may, it all looks highly polished to me except under the cap where light machining marks are visible. While the cap looks solid, it has been machined to be very light but with concave ends to assist with grip while separating it from the body of the razor; it is the thickish plate that gives the razor a head heavy balance. As the PILS is a two piece razor, the blade posts are positioned on the top of the plate and these mate to blind slots in the cap, all very simple for blade loading.

If you happen to be a little off in your shave angel the PILS simply does not work, however get the angle right and you’re presented with a shave approximating that of a Karve CB Level #C and enough positive blade feel to be pleasant. At all times the PILS was smooth, but with the Minora blade fitted, smoothness was at a higher level. For a razor with this efficiency, the shave was certainly close, and each shave provided one of these ‘last all day’ special feeling shaves. As for the extra width of the cap resulting from covering the blade tabs, it was not a factor. If I was not checking for it, I would not have noted it, but for a novice it could be worth consideration. For a handle with no machined grip whatsoever, there was enough positive control of the razor, my theory of keeping my hands wet certainly worked here. There is little doubt that the style of the PILS has become dated and the razor itself is falling behind in many areas, it’s head heavy, it has a critical shave angle, it’s quirky and it takes time for its abilities to be appreciated, however the more the PILS is used, the more its virtues become apparent. This is a great little razor, but you’ve first have to get used to its quirky ways to fully appreciate the experience on offer.

Blades Used – Royal II and Gillette Minora

Material –
Stainless steel

Blade Tab - Enclosed

Weight – 118g

Head Width – 46.72mm

Handle Length – 91.08mm

Handle Diameter – 9.79mm

Availability – PILS

Final Word – German longevity
Thoroughly agree with this great review in terms of the critical shave angle and the weight distribution, but for my 10c worth, I love my Pils.

Timeless Solid Bar Base Plate 0.95mm – TRH1 (USA)

Before I started writing down my thoughts on the razors in my collection, I used this set up and remember being impressed with its performance so I’m keen to see how it stacks up against some of its later released opposition. This is the same solid bar stainless steel razor that I reviewed earlier in the year but the 0.68mm plate has been swapped out and the 0.95mm plate fitted. Everything else about the razor remains unchanged, TRH1 handle, wide blade clamping flats, lather channel and that quality polished finish that Timeless razors are known for.

When it became known that this Timeless was going to be reviewed, two blades were immediately recommended, Wilkinson Sword and Gillette 7 O’Clock Yellow. Both are tried and tested blades and close to what I would have chosen anyhow, so I went with the flow. This is one of the very early top shelf razors I bought and used, but after sampling the Timeless Solid Bar with the 0.95mm plate again, I cannot explain why I ever strayed and went searching for better. This razor delivers everything I ever wanted or needed in a razor. With just under Karve CB Level #D efficiency and neigh on perfect blade protrusion, all shaves were effortless, super smooth and close. They may be old school and not look as snazzy as some of the more artistic designs but there is no substitute for machined knurling when it comes to grip levels on a handle. Your confidence in any razor and its ability jumps 100% in the knowledge you are fully in control of the razor, another tick to the Timeless. Demonstrating my appreciation for the Timeless, it was Anzac Day morning and I was wanting to get to the Dawn Service, with the power out I was in total darkness so shaved by torchlight. With complete confidence in the Timeless’ ability, I was rewarded with another comfortable shave with not a nick or sign of misadventure. After such positive results I now look forward to exploring more razors I have in the Timeless range.

Blades Used – Wilkinson Sword and Gillette 7 O’Clock Yellow

Material – Stainless Steel – Polished

Blade Tab - Exposed

Weight – 115g

Head Width – 41.34mm

Handle Length – 84.92mm

Handle Diameter – 12.66mm

Availability – Timeless

Final Word – One of the better ones

Above The Tie Bronze H1 - 2015 (USA)

Above The Tie (ATT) were another of the pioneering companies in the manufacture of close tolerance machined razors, but have recently advised that they are selling off all stock and not refilling their shelves. It is always disappointing when any manufacturer closes their door so as a tribute to the ATT product, I have chosen one of their lesser known releases for this week’s review. ATT produced a limited run of one hundred Bronze sets (all numbered) back in 2015 and this razor is from one such set. All three ATT efficiency plates were included in the set along with a 3” Atlas style handle. While the ATT stainless steel variants of 2015 were agricultural in appearance, the Bronze limited edition received a polish and a general tidy up making it a little up market. There are machine marks under the cap but the assembled visible surfaces are very well finished. Large blade clamping flats on the cap mate to the corner of a block on the top of the plate albeit with a thin chamfer at its edge, resulting in the blade being clamped inside the line of the cap. A spiral twist running up the shaft of the handle not only looks great but should produce positive grip also. While the ATT H1 may have only a 3” handle, it cannot be described as petite, it has a rugged, nuggety appearance, giving the impression that it is all business and ready to take on the world.

As with most ATT sets that were released during their time, the Bronze set contained all three plates that were then available, M1, R1 and H1. The #1 in the designation refers to it being a safety bar, the #2 was for open comb. For this review I have chosen to use their H1 plate, the more efficient plate in the range. There is no pretense with the ATT and the H1 plate fitted, it is getting up there in efficiency. Even though a couple of weepers might try to disprove this point, I still found the ATT H1 to be very usable. With efficiency exceeding that of the Karve CB level #D and a medium to high level of positive blade, there was no way the shave could be described as smooth. ATT’s Bronze H1 is an attractive razor with loads of appeal but it’s no pussy cat, treat it with respect, and you will be rewarded. I thoroughly enjoyed its attributes and will have fond memories of my time using the H1.

Blades Used – Gillette Platinum and Gillette Silver Blue

Material –
Bronze

Blade Tab - Exposed

Weight – 104g

Head Width – 41.28mm

Handle Length – 76.15mm

Handle Diameter – 12.63mm

Final Word - Assertive

Above The Tie Bronze H1 - 2015 (USA)

Above The Tie (ATT) were another of the pioneering companies in the manufacture of close tolerance machined razors, but have recently advised that they are selling off all stock and not refilling their shelves. It is always disappointing when any manufacturer closes their door so as a tribute to the ATT product, I have chosen one of their lesser known releases for this week’s review. ATT produced a limited run of one hundred Bronze sets (all numbered) back in 2015 and this razor is from one such set. All three ATT efficiency plates were included in the set along with a 3” Atlas style handle. While the ATT stainless steel variants of 2015 were agricultural in appearance, the Bronze limited edition received a polish and a general tidy up making it a little up market. There are machine marks under the cap but the assembled visible surfaces are very well finished. Large blade clamping flats on the cap mate to the corner of a block on the top of the plate albeit with a thin chamfer at its edge, resulting in the blade being clamped inside the line of the cap. A spiral twist running up the shaft of the handle not only looks great but should produce positive grip also. While the ATT H1 may have only a 3” handle, it cannot be described as petite, it has a rugged, nuggety appearance, giving the impression that it is all business and ready to take on the world.

As with most ATT sets that were released during their time, the Bronze set contained all three plates that were then available, M1, R1 and H1. The #1 in the designation refers to it being a safety bar, the #2 was for open comb. For this review I have chosen to use their H1 plate, the more efficient plate in the range. There is no pretense with the ATT and the H1 plate fitted, it is getting up there in efficiency. Even though a couple of weepers might try to disprove this point, I still found the ATT H1 to be very usable. With efficiency exceeding that of the Karve CB level #D and a medium to high level of positive blade, there was no way the shave could be described as smooth. ATT’s Bronze H1 is an attractive razor with loads of appeal but it’s no pussy cat, treat it with respect, and you will be rewarded. I thoroughly enjoyed its attributes and will have fond memories of my time using the H1.

Blades Used – Gillette Platinum and Gillette Silver Blue

Material –
Bronze

Blade Tab - Exposed

Weight – 104g

Head Width – 41.28mm

Handle Length – 76.15mm

Handle Diameter – 12.63mm

Final Word - Assertive
Another great review @Errol, and totally compatible with my experience. I have their copper set put away.

Aylsworth Kopparkant (China)

Kopparkant – I thought the blood thing was going to be copper. No, it’s brass; apparently kopparkant is Swedish for brass. Kopparkant is out of the Aylsworth camp so there are many family similarities to the Drakkant in its design, but there are a few changes also. Gone are the notches in the safety bar and the outer grooves in the top of the plate, also deleted is the recess in the top of the cap. On the top of the cap is etched the Aylsworth letter ‘A’, it looks good and adds to the presentation. There are large blade clamping surfaces marginally inside the line of the cap that mate with equally as large flats on the plate. Kopparkant’s handle is also a modified version of the Drakkant design, but the twists spiral in the opposite direction and the centre section has been hollowed out A bead blasted finish, even under the cap, competes the package, it certainly looks the part.

It's fair to say that the Kopparkant did not get my heart pumping. With Karve CB Level #B efficiency and only a hint of positive blade, I found shaving with it to be hard work and far from being a pleasurable experience. When I get these types of results, I immediately reach for a Feather blade, sometimes this can turn a poor performing razor into something that can be used, sometimes it doesn’t. This time, I was lucky and the Kopparkant delivered a far better experience with the Feather blade installed. Sure the shave was a smooth; virtually no blade protrusion will provide a smooth shave every time and as for the closeness of the shave, it wasn’t too bad either. It really is an attractive looking razor, but I am not a huge fan; for me, more efficiency and more positive blade is required.

Blades Used – Gillette Silver Blue and Feather

Material – Brass

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 95.4g

Head Width – 43.5mm

Handle Length – 89.71mm

Handle Diameter – 11mm

Availability – Aylsworth

Final Word – Another razor

Goodfellas Syntesi (Italy)

After a detailed inspection of the Syntesi, thoughts of how well it’s made kept presenting in my head, a loose fitting thread in the handle prevented me from giving it a top mark. With a 303 stainless steel chassis that has been hard chrome plated, there are no reflections, just a dull satin finish, similar to that on a Feather AS-D2. Each part of the razor has had a lot of thought go into it. Starting at the handle, it is a manageable length with deep longitudinal grooves combined with circumferential grooves, but the feature is the nylon washer preinstalled into the end of the handle. It can be removed if necessary, but in general, it’s there for good. Syntesi is fitted with a low profile plate that has two large lather clearing channels on each side and a groove machined into the top for the elongated blade posts to seat in. To complete the head, the cap is a simple design with no excess material anywhere, its top is flat with two angular flats either side. There are large blade clamping flats at the outer edges of the cap, but these overlay the flats on plate a little.

With efficiency above that of a Karve CB level #C and a pleasing amount of blade feel, the delivered shave was nearing the lower end of my sweet spot, I was in heaven. Above level #C efficiency and positive blade usually produces an extremely close shave and the Syntesi was no exception. Just to make the Syntesi even more appealing the shave was ever so smooth and the Syntesi could be whizzed around in complete confidence. Initially the handle felt a little slippery but during the first shave that tendency disappeared, its shortish length allowing the razor to be maneuvered accurately and precisely. This is a well-made piece and such an appealing little razor to use.

Blades Used – Gillette Super Stainless White and Gillette Minora

Material –
303 Stainless Steel – Hard Chrome Finish

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 98.1g

Head Width – 43.06mm

Handle Length – 80.94mm

Handle Diameter – 13mm

Availability – Rasoigoodfellas

Final Word – Enjoyable

Goodfellas Syntesi (Italy)

After a detailed inspection of the Syntesi, thoughts of how well it’s made kept presenting in my head, a loose fitting thread in the handle prevented me from giving it a top mark. With a 303 stainless steel chassis that has been hard chrome plated, there are no reflections, just a dull satin finish, similar to that on a Feather AS-D2. Each part of the razor has had a lot of thought go into it. Starting at the handle, it is a manageable length with deep longitudinal grooves combined with circumferential grooves, but the feature is the nylon washer preinstalled into the end of the handle. It can be removed if necessary, but in general, it’s there for good. Syntesi is fitted with a low profile plate that has two large lather clearing channels on each side and a groove machined into the top for the elongated blade posts to seat in. To complete the head, the cap is a simple design with no excess material anywhere, its top is flat with two angular flats either side. There are large blade clamping flats at the outer edges of the cap, but these overlay the flats on plate a little.

With efficiency above that of a Karve CB level #C and a pleasing amount of blade feel, the delivered shave was nearing the lower end of my sweet spot, I was in heaven. Above level #C efficiency and positive blade usually produces an extremely close shave and the Syntesi was no exception. Just to make the Syntesi even more appealing the shave was ever so smooth and the Syntesi could be whizzed around in complete confidence. Initially the handle felt a little slippery but during the first shave that tendency disappeared, its shortish length allowing the razor to be maneuvered accurately and precisely. This is a well-made piece and such an appealing little razor to use.

Blades Used – Gillette Super Stainless White and Gillette Minora

Material –
303 Stainless Steel – Hard Chrome Finish

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 98.1g

Head Width – 43.06mm

Handle Length – 80.94mm

Handle Diameter – 13mm

Availability – Rasoigoodfellas

Final Word – Enjoyable

So this is not at all related to the Goodfella OC from NZ?

Another great review mate