Weekly Razor Review

Henson Titanium (Ti22) +++ Aggressive (Canada)

Titanium, I cannot resist a titanium razor so I ordered a Henson Titanium as soon as they were advertised; well, two actually, I bought a medium aggressive one also. Henson have retained the same block shaped cap design that I was less than enthusiastic about on their Aluminium AL13 razor. It’s a satin finish that adorns the Ti22 but with machine marks visible under the cap, and in different light very faint machine marks can be picked up on the back of the plate. If you rotate the tapered handle lightly between your fingers you can feel burrs that remain after the machining, not big enough to cut you or anything but they should contribute to a fantastic grip. A whole lot of work has gone into machining the plate, it’s one of the more complicated modern plates featuring a lather channel under the blade feeding to large lather discharge slots on each side at the back of the plate. Titanium threaded on titanium has a likelihood to gall (picking up) so to alleviate this Henson have fitted a brass centre post to the cap. Henson’s current model Ti22 claims to have a stainless steel centre post, but the original is surely brass.

That brass handle post was to cause the biggest drama I’ve ever had with any razor, or more correctly, a manufacturer. During assembly, the thread lock holding the brass post into the cap had migrated to the 5mm handle post. When I undone the handle for the first time, the centre post screwed out of the cap and came out in the handle. I’m aware that things can go wrong even with the simplest of jobs and in this case, I’m not blaming anyone on the assembly line, just fix it up and I’ll be happy. I immediately contacted Henson but after numerous emails, they effectively cocooned themselves and would not talk to me. Because I had purchased two Henson razors, I could use the plate in the other razor if I’d been so inclined, but I was totally disillusioned with the whole affair. Two years later I decided to have a crack at removing the post from the handle. Well it came out, but in the process I managed to damage the thread that screws into the cap. Bugger – with a limited number of options available, I emailed Henson and asked if I could purchase a handle post. We don’t sell parts. I let them know that was the answer I expected and that I only wanted to correct their manufacturing error. At that point I stumbled onto a human because he asked for a photo of the problem. All I wanted was the little handle post, but Henson sent me a complete razor. Thanks Henson, but not content, I still wanted the original razor fixed. It made sense to me that if the handle post was metric the other end would also be metric, measured it and ordered a 3.5mm die. Now all repaired with the handle post Loctited in, this is the razor I’m reviewing today.

Even after completing repairs to the Henson Ti22, I was still in no hurry to review it; the Henson AL13 had been such a big disappointment so I scheduled the Ti22’s review for three months down the track. That time came around quickly and while I contemplated pushing it out further, here it is. As soon as the last review was completed, I put a blade in the Henson and set it up ready for action. My plan was to not think too much about having to shave with the Henson Ti22, just grab it and shave as though it was a last shave in the rotation. Well, that plan worked up to a point, initially the cap skidded down the side of my face - here we go again. Luckily that was the last time I had the Ti22’s cap skid down the side of my face, an unconscious adjustment to the handle angle and I was in action. While the +++ plate is the most aggressive plate available, it offered around the Karve CB Level #C efficiency but the point that stood out was just how smooth the shave was. I now appreciate why devotees of the Henson razor rate it so high. My preference is for a little more efficiency and with a corresponding increase in blade feel. Even being tapered, the Henson’s handle is long and it’s thin down near the head where I appreciate something to hold onto. Henson’s Ti22 certainly worked one hell of a lot better than the limp aluminium version, but it is a long way from being anywhere near the top in my choice of razors.

Blades Used – Gillette Rubie and Royal II

Material –
Titanium

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 63g

Head Width – 43.24mm

Handle Length – 96.07mm

Handle Diameter – Tapered

Availability – Henson

Final Word – Another razor
I had been looking forward to this as soon as you mentioned it long ago. I can't say that I am impressed with all the backwards and forwards and effort you had to put in to get to some sort of resolve. The Ti version is certainly not cheap either.
I'm still boggled as to why they do not offer a completely stainless steel version but hey that is their loss and there are certainly no shortage of better razors out there.

I appreciate your efforts to go forward with the review. I certainly have a one or two razors that I would hesitate to review for various reasons so I know what its like.

There is one razor that didn't even make it to me so there is no chance of me reviewing it even if I wanted to but the less said the better of some people or their razor.
I'm looking forward to the next review in what must be a largely endless backlog. haha.

Thanks for saving me from even thinking about the Henson in Ti and aggressive.
I will comment on the support and communication issues later, but focus on my own Henson AL13 Medium experience.

The Hensons give a near perfect shave, but even the Medium one was by design preventing me from pressing, going steeper, doing anything to achieve a perfect feeling BBS. I always felt something is missing.
The same could also be said for the shave. It was safe and, while not achieving ultimate perfection, easy, effortless. It just felt like riding a motorbike with safety wheels, just off.
I am not a fan of the handle either, it was also too light for my liking, Steel and Titanium are more my liking, haptically Aluminum isn't my thing, at least not for razors and knife handles.
It seems not even the aggressive model is that different in shaving characteristics. It is what it is. Some really love it, but the AL13 Medium wasn't my thing.

The support issues/communication, even if you get a new razor in the end...
Well, one would think at least their not exactly inexpensive premium model warrants a bit more attention and support.

I rarely had positive experiences when talking to any razor manufacturer or their vendors, on the plus side I thankfully rarely had issues. Some got quite some praise from customers who never had issues, very negative reports from people who had issues are often ignored on shaving forums.
Prices have gone up recently, many now go for "satin", basically matte bead blast finishs and no longer even offer polished versions, no longer at all or excluding titanium e.g.. Thinking abound Barbaros and Blackland right now, but there are many more. At the same time polished stainless steel razors seem to take off in China, not only from Yaqi who are on a roll recently. I was very positively surprised by the Yaqi Harlequin!

I was interested in getting the 'Merica razor in titanium, even if it is very likely to be too mild for my liking. But I could use it in a nasty false flag operation and yell "'Merica!", holding it while shouting stupid things. ;)

Thanks for saving me from even thinking about the Henson in Ti and aggressive.
I will comment on the support and communication issues later, but focus on my own Henson AL13 Medium experience.

The Hensons give a near perfect shave, but even the Medium one was by design preventing me from pressing, going steeper, doing anything to achieve a perfect feeling BBS. I always felt something is missing.
The same could also be said for the shave. It was safe and, while not achieving ultimate perfection, easy, effortless. It just felt like riding a motorbike with safety wheels, just off.
I am not a fan of the handle either, it was also too light for my liking, Steel and Titanium are more my liking, haptically Aluminum isn't my thing, at least not for razors and knife handles.
It seems not even the aggressive model is that different in shaving characteristics. It is what it is. Some really love it, but the AL13 Medium wasn't my thing.

The support issues/communication, even if you get a new razor in the end...
Well, one would think at least their not exactly inexpensive premium model warrants a bit more attention and support.

I rarely had positive experiences when talking to any razor manufacturer or their vendors, on the plus side I thankfully rarely had issues. Some got quite some praise from customers who never had issues, very negative reports from people who had issues are often ignored on shaving forums.
Prices have gone up recently, many now go for "satin", basically matte bead blast finishs and no longer even offer polished versions, no longer at all or excluding titanium e.g.. Thinking abound Barbaros and Blackland right now, but there are many more. At the same time polished stainless steel razors seem to take off in China, not only from Yaqi who are on a roll recently. I was very positively surprised by the Yaqi Harlequin!

I was interested in getting the 'Merica razor in titanium, even if it is very likely to be too mild for my liking. But I could use it in a nasty false flag operation and yell "'Merica!", holding it while shouting stupid things. ;)
I would never touch a Henson razor with that stupid pin thread design

West Coast Shaving American Liberty

About six years ago West Coast Shaving released their Hollywood Palm razor that was claimed to have been designed by Charcoal Goods. One look at WSC’s American Liberty razor and it’s not hard to trace its heritage back to the Hollywood Palm. There are a couple of obvious visual changes that include the deletion of the grooves in the safety bar and blade clamping appears to have been moved further out towards the edge of the cap. Its head design could have been inspired by the Gen 1, Charcoal Goods as it shares many features; trimmed down design, vice like gripping surfaces on the blade, a full length blade post and large channels for the clearance of lather. Maybe the handle has also been inspired by Charcoal Goods, it has a certain Charcoal Goods appeal about it, longitudinal grooves down the shaft and a few stars engraved in a block, very patriotic if you’re from the good ‘ol US of A. There are enough grooves along the length of the handle to provide good grip even if they don’t extend around the circumference of the handle. WSC’s Liberty is presented with a quality machine finish that looks satin till inspected a bit more closely; importantly, it appeals to me. It is unusual for any product made in USA to not have that fact noted somewhere in its advertising, on the razor itself or at least on its packaging leaving me to believe that the razor was manufactured somewhere other than the USA.

WSC’s Hollywood Palm razor was let down by its lack of efficiency; here’s hoping that the parameters have been opened up to make the American Liberty a lot more assertive. Efficiency on the American Liberty looks to have taken a step in the right direction. Step – that may be a bit of an exaggeration, one big toe length increase in efficiency might be closer to the truth. It’s now around that Karve CB Level #C mark, there was a pleasant amount blade feel and the shave was smooth, making it an ideal razor for anyone who shaves daily. There were no complaints about the grip levels on the handle and it’s short enough to provide good maneuverability. The American Liberty delivered a pleasant enough shave but for me I would still like to see a wee bit more efficiency.

Blades Used – Gillette Platinum Plus and Howard

Material – 316 Stainless Steel

Blade Tab - Enclosed

Weight – 112.7g

Head Width – 43mm

Handle Length – 89.03mm

Handle Diameter – 13.1mm

Availability – West Coast Shaving

West Coast Shaving American Liberty

About six years ago West Coast Shaving released their Hollywood Palm razor that was claimed to have been designed by Charcoal Goods. One look at WSC’s American Liberty razor and it’s not hard to trace its heritage back to the Hollywood Palm. There are a couple of obvious visual changes that include the deletion of the grooves in the safety bar and blade clamping appears to have been moved further out towards the edge of the cap. Its head design could have been inspired by the Gen 1, Charcoal Goods as it shares many features; trimmed down design, vice like gripping surfaces on the blade, a full length blade post and large channels for the clearance of lather. Maybe the handle has also been inspired by Charcoal Goods, it has a certain Charcoal Goods appeal about it, longitudinal grooves down the shaft and a few stars engraved in a block, very patriotic if you’re from the good ‘ol US of A. There are enough grooves along the length of the handle to provide good grip even if they don’t extend around the circumference of the handle. WSC’s Liberty is presented with a quality machine finish that looks satin till inspected a bit more closely; importantly, it appeals to me. It is unusual for any product made in USA to not have that fact noted somewhere in its advertising, on the razor itself or at least on its packaging leaving me to believe that the razor was manufactured somewhere other than the USA.

WSC’s Hollywood Palm razor was let down by its lack of efficiency; here’s hoping that the parameters have been opened up to make the American Liberty a lot more assertive. Efficiency on the American Liberty looks to have taken a step in the right direction. Step – that may be a bit of an exaggeration, one big toe length increase in efficiency might be closer to the truth. It’s now around that Karve CB Level #C mark, there was a pleasant amount blade feel and the shave was smooth, making it an ideal razor for anyone who shaves daily. There were no complaints about the grip levels on the handle and it’s short enough to provide good maneuverability. The American Liberty delivered a pleasant enough shave but for me I would still like to see a wee bit more efficiency.

Blades Used – Gillette Platinum Plus and Howard

Material – 316 Stainless Steel

Blade Tab - Enclosed

Weight – 112.7g

Head Width – 43mm

Handle Length – 89.03mm

Handle Diameter – 13.1mm

Availability – West Coast Shaving

Bastard…. Definitely keeping mine in my den, and it’s not just another (bloody) razor

I considered buying one the day they were released but I couldn't even get a reply to some basic questions from WCS and with money being tight I decided to hold onto my money for someone that wanted my money.

I am still curious how it compares to a Charcoal Goods Lvl 2.

@SpeedyPC you obviously like the razor. It would be great to hear your thoughts on it too.

I considered buying one the day they were released but I couldn't even get a reply to some basic questions from WCS and with money being tight I decided to hold onto my money for someone that wanted my money.

I am still curious how it compares to a Charcoal Goods Lvl 2.

@SpeedyPC you obviously like the razor. It would be great to hear your thoughts on it too.
Not hearing from WSC is pretty normal from my experience. The Charcoal Goods Lvl 2 is one of my all time favourite razors so I have a lot of respect for it. Compared to the CG Lvl 2, I would rate the American Liberty at the best, about 1.2/ 1.3 Lvl.

Not hearing from WSC is pretty normal from my experience. The Charcoal Goods Lvl 2 is one of my all time favourite razors so I have a lot of respect for it. Compared to the CG Lvl 2, I would rate the American Liberty at the best, about 1.2/ 1.3 Lvl.
Your guess is good as mine, I never owned a CG Lvl 2 razor, because they didn’t offer in stainless steel version.

Your guess is good as mine, I never owned a CG Lvl 2 razor, because they didn’t offer in stainless steel version.
Actually, they did make a Lvl 2 stainless steel version in gen 2.

LYaLCgr.jpg

It seems like it's a pretty common problem then.
That's good to hear. I wouldn't mind comparing the two myself. The Charcoal Goods Lvl 2 seems mild enough in my opinion. I agree with Errol , the Charcoal Goods Lvl 2 is definitely an excellent razor that has some good range in my opinion.
Correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't that likely put it slightly under and Charcoal Goods Everyday razor. I vaguely recall that being said to be set at a Lvl 1.5

0a6c6df0-2b6a-11ee-8b30-0f5d1a543090.jpg

I was hoping that WCS would have chosen a more iconic Charcoal Goods handle but it is what it is and they were probably working with the design they were given permission to use. Maybe some day if I am lucky I will be able to find different handles although I do really enjoy the Bishop handle it came with.
If its on the cards for me to be able to afford the WCS American Liberty razor then I definitely will give it a shot too.

I was lucky enough to buy this one from a really great person here earlier this year.

Hey @Errol have you tried the new Parker’s Adjustable Injector razor v2.1?

Injrazor-new-main-on-box.jpg

Hey @Errol have you tried the new Parker’s Adjustable Injector razor v2.1?

Injrazor-new-main-on-box.jpg
@SpeedyPC No I haven’t raced into getting one. I have the Supply version and frankly, it does not do a lot for me.

Wolfman WR2 1.35mm Bronze - WRH7 Handle (Canada)

A WR1 titanium version was the originally proposed razor but when Wolfman’s ‘Request to Purchase’ did not include the titanium WRH4 handle, I used my age privilege and changed the whole specification to a bronze WR2. That opened a whole new list of parameters to delve into; 1.35mm plate, safety bar, my all-time favourite WRH7 handle and all in a basic polish. I often make comment that some top shelf razor has a quality polished finish, which they do, then I look at a Wolfman and see that the others have been left in their wake. All the usual WR2 attributes are featured, corner blade locating, positive blade clamping, wide safety bar and precision thread engagement. Bronze is fast becoming one of my favourite metals for razors, if only it didn’t tarnish.

Since my first use of a Wolfman WR2, I have maintained a healthy respect for the WR2’s capabilities. I have now shaved with variations of all plates from 0.95mm to 1.35mm in the WR2 range and consider the Wolfman WR2 as being the pinnacle of DE razor design. It does not matter which WR2 is used, it can be used daily or just as effectively clean up a five day growth and the big point is, it does everything with consummate ease. Back to the 1.35mm plated bronze Wolfman, its efficiency is in the Karve CB level #D range and with its well thought out blade protrusion provided an extremely comfortable shave, a close shave was never in doubt. This razor is another brilliant example of the care and attention to detail delivered when a Wolfman product is purchased.

Blades Used – Gillette Super Stainless Red and Crown

Material – C954 Bronze

Blade Tab - Exposed

Weight – 98g

Head Width – 41.61mm

Handle Length – 90.41mm

Handle Diameter – 12.69mm

Availability – Wolfman

Final Word – Luxury

Last edited by a moderator: