Weekly Razor Review

Yaqi Sentinel (China)

Yaqi released this Wolfman WR2 inspired model in the middle of last year. For reasons known only to themselves, the Australian importers of Yaqi decided not to bring the Sentinel into Australia. Being Yaqi’s clone of the WR2, I wanted to try it for myself and set out to get one; it did not take long for them to appear on AliExpress so I forked out for one. This one came as a head only so I selected a Yaqi bala Pulida de acero handle (what a mouthful) to go with it. This handle has a series of grooves at the forward end and a spiral wrap at the rear; hopefully it works as good as it looks, and I see no reason why it shouldn’t. Thread engagement is good, snug and very smooth. There is little doubt the Sentinel is inspired by the WR2 but there are obvious changes and the cap from one will not fit the plate of the other; there are differences to the underside of the cap and the top of the plate, the blade posts on the cap are more square than on the WR2, there are no serrations on the safety bar and it is not as wide, there are two lather groves in the plate while the WR2 has only one, the blade clamping flats on the Sentinel are not as wide as the WR2 and while the finish is very good (the underside of the cap has a machined surface), it is not up to the exceptional standard of the Wolfman. Yaqi’s Sentinel is said to have a 1.50mm gap so if this equates to the Wolfman scale it will be the most aggressive ‘WR2’ style razor I’ve used.

Thinking, thinking – the Chinese are not known for spending $’s on R&D – I wonder!!!! I’m thinking that maybe it’s not the WR2 that has been cloned but what about the BBS-1? A waste of time that exercise, the WR2 and BBS-1 are so close in looks and specification, the comments for the WR2 from above apply.

Straight up, the Sentinel does not deliver a Wolfman quality shave; it’s a pleasant enough shave but don’t buy the Sentinel expecting a cheap means of experiencing a Wolfman like shave, you’re not going to get it. Efficiency is in the Karve CB level #D range and the blade protrusion is not overstated. All shaves were close and while not being super smooth, were still very good. A weeper or two points to a more sinister outcome, but the Sentinel is right on the verge of being able to deliver that magical auto pilot shave. That ‘mouthful’ handle name worked a treat too, good length and plenty of grip. Yaqi’s Sentinel may look like a WR2 and delivers a great shave but it is not in the same league as the WR2. Overall, this razor has the looks, (if like me, you like the WR2), and provided a more than satisfactory level of shaving experience.

Blades Used – Gillette Super Stainless and Crown

Material – Stainless Steel

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 106g

Head Width – 42.98mm

Handle Length – 91.05mm

Handle Diameter – 11.93mm

Availability – AliExpress

Final Word – Value for money

Stop with the mental masturbation guys. The WR2 is one of, if not THE best DE razors in the world -- even if it is made in Canada.
I'm the odd guy out as found the standard WR1 shaved closer/smoother than the equivalent WR2 but both set the standard for premium shaves and aesthetic!

Yaqi Sentinel (China)

Yaqi released this Wolfman WR2 inspired model in the middle of last year. For reasons known only to themselves, the Australian importers of Yaqi decided not to bring the Sentinel into Australia. Being Yaqi’s clone of the WR2, I wanted to try it for myself and set out to get one; it did not take long for them to appear on AliExpress so I forked out for one. This one came as a head only so I selected a Yaqi bala Pulida de acero handle (what a mouthful) to go with it. This handle has a series of grooves at the forward end and a spiral wrap at the rear; hopefully it works as good as it looks, and I see no reason why it shouldn’t. Thread engagement is good, snug and very smooth. There is little doubt the Sentinel is inspired by the WR2 but there are obvious changes and the cap from one will not fit the plate of the other; there are differences to the underside of the cap and the top of the plate, the blade posts on the cap are more square than on the WR2, there are no serrations on the safety bar and it is not as wide, there are two lather groves in the plate while the WR2 has only one, the blade clamping flats on the Sentinel are not as wide as the WR2 and while the finish is very good (the underside of the cap has a machined surface), it is not up to the exceptional standard of the Wolfman. Yaqi’s Sentinel is said to have a 1.50mm gap so if this equates to the Wolfman scale it will be the most aggressive ‘WR2’ style razor I’ve used.

Thinking, thinking – the Chinese are not known for spending $’s on R&D – I wonder!!!! I’m thinking that maybe it’s not the WR2 that has been cloned but what about the BBS-1? A waste of time that exercise, the WR2 and BBS-1 are so close in looks and specification, the comments for the WR2 from above apply.

Straight up, the Sentinel does not deliver a Wolfman quality shave; it’s a pleasant enough shave but don’t buy the Sentinel expecting a cheap means of experiencing a Wolfman like shave, you’re not going to get it. Efficiency is in the Karve CB level #D range and the blade protrusion is not overstated. All shaves were close and while not being super smooth, were still very good. A weeper or two points to a more sinister outcome, but the Sentinel is right on the verge of being able to deliver that magical auto pilot shave. That ‘mouthful’ handle name worked a treat too, good length and plenty of grip. Yaqi’s Sentinel may look like a WR2 and delivers a great shave but it is not in the same league as the WR2. Overall, this razor has the looks, (if like me, you like the WR2), and provided a more than satisfactory level of shaving experience.

Blades Used – Gillette Super Stainless and Crown

Material – Stainless Steel

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 106g

Head Width – 42.98mm

Handle Length – 91.05mm

Handle Diameter – 11.93mm

Availability – AliExpress

Final Word – Value for money
Yaqi isn’t a real bloody Howling Wolfy, just a stupid little Chinese howling puppy dog.

giphy.gif

Wolfman WR2 1.35mm Bronze - WRH7 Handle (Canada)

A WR1 titanium version was the originally proposed razor but when Wolfman’s ‘Request to Purchase’ did not include the titanium WRH4 handle, I used my age privilege and changed the whole specification to a bronze WR2. That opened a whole new list of parameters to delve into; 1.35mm plate, safety bar, my all-time favourite WRH7 handle and all in a basic polish. I often make comment that some top shelf razor has a quality polished finish, which they do, then I look at a Wolfman and see that the others have been left in their wake. All the usual WR2 attributes are featured, corner blade locating, positive blade clamping, wide safety bar and precision thread engagement. Bronze is fast becoming one of my favourite metals for razors, if only it didn’t tarnish.

Since my first use of a Wolfman WR2, I have maintained a healthy respect for the WR2’s capabilities. I have now shaved with variations of all plates from 0.95mm to 1.35mm in the WR2 range and consider the Wolfman WR2 as being the pinnacle of DE razor design. It does not matter which WR2 is used, it can be used daily or just as effectively clean up a five day growth and the big point is, it does everything with consummate ease. Back to the 1.35mm plated bronze Wolfman, its efficiency is in the Karve CB level #D range and with its well thought out blade protrusion provided an extremely comfortable shave, a close shave was never in doubt. This razor is another brilliant example of the care and attention to detail delivered when a Wolfman product is purchased.

Blades Used – Gillette Super Stainless Red and Crown

Material – C954 Bronze

Blade Tab - Exposed

Weight – 98g

Head Width – 41.61mm

Handle Length – 90.41mm

Handle Diameter – 12.69mm

Availability – Wolfman

Final Word – Luxury

Great review @Errol also loving the look of the bronze. I was on the waiting list for one but then the blackbird sang a tune that put an end to my searching.. I own the WR2 1.25 and find it to be an excellent razor that can be used as a daily or on a 7+ plus growth with ease

this may be a dangerous question for me but considering you have tried all gap sizes, which did you prefer?

I'm the odd guy out as found the standard WR1 shaved closer/smoother than the equivalent WR2 but both set the standard for premium shaves and aesthetic!

I used the WR1 once in the pass around we had and it was the one that convinced me of the quality of high end razors, only problem is I cannot remember how it shaved except the general feeling that it stood out from everything I had tried previously.. would love to try one again now that I have been exposed to the world of quality shavers.. just cant bring myself to fork out so much $$ when I am very happy with what I now have

another potentially dangerous question for me here but which WR2 and WR1 gaps did you try mate? and what did you prefer about the WR1 over the WR2?

I have the both the Yaqi Sentinel and DSCosmetic Poleaxe (DS-AX), both in 1.35mm. The DS-AX looks more like the WR2 in appearance than the Yaqi, scalloping on the safety bar, single lather hole, etc. And though I didn't like the shave when I first bought it, I think it shaves better than the Yaqi now, once I figured out the right shave angle for me. Unfortunately, I don't have a gen WR2 to do a comparison, but these two chinese razors are different razors (so much for my theory they came out of the same white label factory). The cap of the Yaqi will not fit the DS-AX and vice versa. I'd be curious to know if the plate and cap of the DS-AX is interchangeable with the WR2 and how close DSC got to producing a WR2 clone.

Great review @Errol also loving the look of the bronze. I was on the waiting list for one but then the blackbird sang a tune that put an end to my searching.. I own the WR2 1.25 and find it to be an excellent razor that can be used as a daily or on a 7+ plus growth with ease

this may be a dangerous question for me but considering you have tried all gap sizes, which did you prefer?
@StratMan I’ll get ribbed for sitting on the fence on this one but the truth is I like each and every one. The WR2 with a 0.95 plate is so smooth and close while the 1.35 plate is the same only more efficient. Your 1.25 is as good as any. I credit the WR2 titanium I purchased at auction with WRH4 handle and 0.95 plate as the best shave I’ve ever had.

@StratMan I’ll get ribbed for sitting on the fence on this one but the truth is I like each and every one. The WR2 with a 0.95 plate is so smooth and close while the 1.35 plate is the same only more efficient. Your 1.25 is as good as any. I credit the WR2 titanium I purchased at auction with WRH4 handle and 0.95 plate as the best shave I’ve ever had.

giphy.gif

I used the WR1 once in the pass around we had and it was the one that convinced me of the quality of high end razors, only problem is I cannot remember how it shaved except the general feeling that it stood out from everything I had tried previously.. would love to try one again now that I have been exposed to the world of quality shavers.. just cant bring myself to fork out so much $$ when I am very happy with what I now have

another potentially dangerous question for me here but which WR2 and WR1 gaps did you try mate? and what did you prefer about the WR1 over the WR2?
I was lucky enough to try both versions thanks to the late & great @Nico who also allowed me to try his Charcoal Goods L2 brass Gen 2 and those razors delivered the best shaves to date!

The WR1 was a standard .62 gap with solid WR2 handle and I think it used to belong to another dearly departed P&C member, Dan aka @todras of AP Reserve fame and it delivered one of the happiest shaves ever as super efficient and buttery smooth no matter the direction which isn't always the case as my beard is typical Mediterranean and grows every which way on the neck line.

I think it might've been the one from the pass around but so far the best shaving experience I've had but again limited to a few shaves so YMMV...?

Nick also purchased a WR2 + WR7 handle with .92 and 1.05 plates - the shaves were equally enjoyable but for whatever reason the WR1 delivered the longer lasting results and I think that was due to the heavier WR2 handle which balanced better than the hollow WR7?! Saying that I can see why many rate the WR2 higher as the improved design of the head allows you to go up in gaps with little fear of excessive blade feel so if I was to go with a WR2 it would be minimum 1.25 or 1.35 as still buttery smooth and maybe a bit more blade feel but not aggressive by any means which is why you see some users go 1.55 or higher and rave about the comfortable shaves!!!

Sadly you don't get that with the WR1 as the higher the gap the more pronounced the blade feel which is why I'd be fearful of trying anything above say .67 WR1 as its much different from going up a few gaps in the WR2 but @Errol and more experienced users could confirm this as my limited experience was a while back and I ultimately skipped on buying a Wolfman as the indecision and long waiting times put me off but I regret not adding 'one' to my den as 'premium' in ever sense of the word and no brainer at the time (2020) considering what I spent getting a few Rocca's, Vector and Blackbird since...

In my experience (all standard gaps) the WR1 delivers the closest shave, the BBS1 the smoothest and the Guerrilla the easiest. Without the BBS1 the WR2 would probably get used way more often, but as is, it is probably my least most loved razor 😂

yeah they are an amazing razor that's for sure, if I ever got another i may try a 0.95 plate.. or even a WR1 people either prefer them to the WR2 or not, so just depends on the user and only way to find out it to try.. shame they are so expensive though

I was lucky enough to try both versions thanks to the late & great @Nico who also allowed me to try his Charcoal Goods L2 brass Gen 2 and those razors delivered the best shaves to date!

The WR1 was a standard .62 gap with solid WR2 handle and I think it used to belong to another dearly departed P&C member, Dan aka @todras of AP Reserve fame and it delivered one of the happiest shaves ever as super efficient and buttery smooth no matter the direction which isn't always the case as my beard is typical Mediterranean and grows every which way on the neck line.

I think it might've been the one from the pass around but so far the best shaving experience I've had but again limited to a few shaves so YMMV...?

Nick also purchased a WR2 + WR7 handle with .92 and 1.05 plates - the shaves were equally enjoyable but for whatever reason the WR1 delivered the longer lasting results and I think that was due to the heavier WR2 handle which balanced better than the hollow WR7?! Saying that I can see why many rate the WR2 higher as the improved design of the head allows you to go up in gaps with little fear of excessive blade feel so if I was to go with a WR2 it would be minimum 1.25 or 1.35 as still buttery smooth and maybe a bit more blade feel but not aggressive by any means which is why you see some users go 1.55 or higher and rave about the comfortable shaves!!!

Sadly you don't get that with the WR1 as the higher the gap the more pronounced the blade feel which is why I'd be fearful of trying anything above say .67 WR1 as its much different from going up a few gaps in the WR2 but @Errol and more experienced users could confirm this as my limited experience was a while back and I ultimately skipped on buying a Wolfman as the indecision and long waiting times put me off but I regret not adding 'one' to my den as 'premium' in ever sense of the word and no brainer at the time (2020) considering what I spent getting a few Rocca's, Vector and Blackbird since...

from what I read the highest to go up to with a WR1 to retain smoothness but with the highest efficiency is the .74 gap, but this is just hearsay from what i read.. I did use the passaround WR1 and that is what made me 'see the light' with quality razors an have not looked back. When they were finally available to buy the WR2 was out so was tough to make that decision but obviously went with the WR2 1.25 with a solid WRH2 handle, so plenty of heft..

its an awesome razor, so smooth and covers all bases, but when going ATG you really got to make sure you have a good lather and the right touch. I used to get a few weepers when first starting iwth it but now can use it as a daily with ATG.. but i dont, i love variety.. in saying that though and as much as I like the rest of my razors the WR2 and the blackbird have been getting the vast amount of my attention..